Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Is that a dog or a harp seal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

MrYenko posted:

Is that a dog or a harp seal?

its a good buoy

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Gonna name my next dog Dick, after my great-uncle. Frank's named after my great-great-uncle Frank, but everyone called Fuzz because he had an apparent habit of showing his balls to people.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Super Grocery Kart posted:

I need to ask....why Dickbump?

It's either a condition or an activity

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Lives up to your name.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Snoot: Booped! :buddy:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So that's how you do it!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)

PenisMonkey posted:

Not our dog. We didn’t name him. My guess is he’s deaf so they didn’t care about what to call him. I dunno.

That’s cool, just curious.

Goober Peas posted:

It's either a condition or an activity

The vet calls should be good. “Hi, this is Vanessa from Dr Boop’s Office, confirming an appointment on Friday for ummm, uh, Dickbump?”

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

That jaw relax at the end is extremely My poo poo.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Also, this:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Timothy and Zipper, both excellent dogs.

It was my girlfriend’s birthday party yesterday. Here is Lando snuggling with his hungover humans in solidarity.

It’s nice that he forgave us after we put this sign up on the snack table.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Why would I read that instead of booping the snoot?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Those of you that have very active, not-couch-potato dogs, what do you do with them on bad weather days where it’s hard to get out for a meaningful walk or hike? We’ve had a stretch of cold rainy weather here for a few days and it’s been rough on my mutts. I did get them out for an hour hike yesterday during a dry patch and a drive out to the pet store today, but that’s about it. Typically when we’re stuck inside I take the opportunity to work on obedience stuff but while mentally stimulating and fun, it doesn’t do much for them physically, not to mention the extra calories from training treats.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Tip of the snoot

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Those of you that have very active, not-couch-potato dogs, what do you do with them on bad weather days where it’s hard to get out for a meaningful walk or hike? We’ve had a stretch of cold rainy weather here for a few days and it’s been rough on my mutts. I did get them out for an hour hike yesterday during a dry patch and a drive out to the pet store today, but that’s about it. Typically when we’re stuck inside I take the opportunity to work on obedience stuff but while mentally stimulating and fun, it doesn’t do much for them physically, not to mention the extra calories from training treats.

Zoomies

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
S..s so weak... from playing with all the other doggos at the kennel and from having to get a bath when I got home. Must rest now... 😴

Later she came and laid on the couch next to me and napped to the calming soothing sounds of me playing titanfall

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Does not compute.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, Frank wants a walk, we walk. The apartment is sparsely furnished so he still has room to chase the cat, but even on cold nights or anything short of a downpour, we walk.

Besides, when it is cold and wet, I'm layered up enough that a soaked jacket isn't a problem. Keeps me walking, which keeps me less fat.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Yeah not to get sanctimonious but that's the contact you took when you adopt. Your pup has needs and you gotta fill them; you can do things like getting them used to a hair dryer or get a bunch of chamois towels just for them to get dry faster.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Current dog is a couch potato but with an active one, you walk regardless of weather.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
The booper is bigger than the snooter.

E: full video of said boopin’ here.
https://youtu.be/dj9kpIRRg-Q

PenisMonkey fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Nov 20, 2017

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
All weather wallies, and occasionally a dog day care. There was a period of 2 weeks where I was bed ridden due to a stuffed ankle and my partner had to work. Drop off day care was a godsend. We still use it when we need to do other things for the day. They tend to be indoors but with lots of stuff / dogs to play with

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah not to get sanctimonious but that's the contact you took when you adopt. Your pup has needs and you gotta fill them; you can do things like getting them used to a hair dryer or get a bunch of chamois towels just for them to get dry faster.

Yea I should have clarified a bit. I was thinking more about just general indoor things to do when the weather is particularly bad. Obviously rainy walks, potty trips outside at 2 AM, etc., are all things that come with having dogs and I don’t have any problems with that. Indoor zoomies for my 60lb dogs doesn’t really work though. Jade refuses to go outside if it’s raining hard; I actually have to go out with an umbrella and follow her while she pees/poops. Tarkus doesn’t care for rain either but LOVES snow. He’s easier to keep happy when there’s a foot of snow on the ground; he’ll bound around in it all day.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

So Lando is apparently part shark because he’s taken to biting my girlfriend and I’s forearms when he wants to play. It’s not aggressive biting, but he’s got some powerful jaws that have left some pretty impressive bruises and scratches on my arms. We’ve tried immediately substituting a toy for tug of war and also going straight to doing obedience training with small treat rewards as a way to calm him down, but these have had mixed results. Even a stern “NO!” just seems to rile him up more.

We’re going to soon arrange to have a trainer visit us at home a few times so we can address this and build a foundation upon which to work before he starts obedience school in January, but until then- any tips so that I can prevent my arms from looking like I’ve got a bad IV heroin habit?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
https://i.imgur.com/Da92Mv3.gifv

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

My own pup does not react to mirrors at all, I never understood it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I HAVE GOOD AIDS posted:

We’re going to soon arrange to have a trainer visit us at home a few times so we can address this and build a foundation upon which to work before he starts obedience school in January, but until then- any tips so that I can prevent my arms from looking like I’ve got a bad IV heroin habit?
I had a pup like that and I wore a leather work glove. When she tried to bite, I just pincered my thumb and index in the back of her mouth and told her no. Took a while but she got the message.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

evil_bunnY posted:

I had a pup like that and I wore a leather work glove. When she tried to bite, I just pincered my thumb and index in the back of her mouth and told her no. Took a while but she got the message.

My dog was full grown when I got him, and was a bit bitey when he’d play. It was suggested to me by a trainer that every time he got mouthy, for me to yip. High pitched, loud, just like a puppy.

He was broken of the habit inside of a week.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Yeah, try yelping at him. You'll feel like a complete tool, but it's what dogs understand for 'Ouch, that's too rough.'

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If I say “ow” Monty stops doing everything and stands there looking guilty because I used to yell it loud if he bit me.

When he was a tiny pupper I was playing with him and I mooshed his face and he did a play bite at my face and got his bottom baby fang in my nostril and made me bleed. I flicked him in the forehead for that one :argh:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Thanks guys. I'll try yelping and see if that works. Not like my neighbors needed any more proof that we're completely insane, so why not.

I guess overall it's a good sign that he's becoming more comfortable with my girlfriend and I that he thinks he can play rougher- at least he's realizing that this is his forever home and that he's not going to get deserted again.

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat
Send help, I'm trapped.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Holy moly this was three years ago:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Jay Rust posted:

My own pup does not react to mirrors at all, I never understood it.

We have a mirror at the elevator landing and my dog looks at his reflection with a "God drat, I'm handsome" kind of attitude. Which, to be fair, he is.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Yea I should have clarified a bit. I was thinking more about just general indoor things to do when the weather is particularly bad. Obviously rainy walks, potty trips outside at 2 AM, etc., are all things that come with having dogs and I don’t have any problems with that. Indoor zoomies for my 60lb dogs doesn’t really work though. Jade refuses to go outside if it’s raining hard; I actually have to go out with an umbrella and follow her while she pees/poops. Tarkus doesn’t care for rain either but LOVES snow. He’s easier to keep happy when there’s a foot of snow on the ground; he’ll bound around in it all day.

I don't know if you have steps or not, but "step fetch" is a staple around our house. I use the herding commands for it, since Reggie doesn't have any animals to herd at the moment, the ball stands in.

- Sit at the top of the steps.
- Reggie sits beside me.
- I drop the ball down the steps, letting it go "plonk, plonk, plonk" on as many steps as it can on the way down. Reggie has to "Wait".
- When the ball reaches the bottom of the steps, I give him the "Find" command to go downstairs and find and take the ball.
- When he brings it back upstairs, I have him sit, then give me the ball. Then he gets a "That'll do" and a pat.
- Repeat.

It's both physical from going up and down the steps, and it's also mental from having to listen to me instead of just tunnel-visioning on the ball and chasing it.

I HAVE GOOD AIDS posted:

So Lando is apparently part shark because he’s taken to biting my girlfriend and I’s forearms when he wants to play. It’s not aggressive biting, but he’s got some powerful jaws that have left some pretty impressive bruises and scratches on my arms. We’ve tried immediately substituting a toy for tug of war and also going straight to doing obedience training with small treat rewards as a way to calm him down, but these have had mixed results. Even a stern “NO!” just seems to rile him up more.

Jumping on the "Ow!" bandwagon. Like people said, you'll feel dumb, but the trick is to ham it up. When Reggie would nip at me, I'd physically recoil and act hurt, not look at him, and if he persisted, I'd leave the room and leave him alone. Since he was doing it for attention, we refused to give him attention when he did it, and after a few weeks he stopped it. That said, he is a heeler, and he has a natural instinct to nip, especially at heels. For that we worked on the "no bite" command, which took a few months. When he'd go in to nip at stock, or another dog, or a kid, we'd say a firm "No bite!" and he'd back off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Weltlich posted:

I don't know if you have steps or not, but "step fetch" is a staple around our house. I use the herding commands for it, since Reggie doesn't have any animals to herd at the moment, the ball stands in.

- Sit at the top of the steps.
- Reggie sits beside me.
- I drop the ball down the steps, letting it go "plonk, plonk, plonk" on as many steps as it can on the way down. Reggie has to "Wait".
- When the ball reaches the bottom of the steps, I give him the "Find" command to go downstairs and find and take the ball.
- When he brings it back upstairs, I have him sit, then give me the ball. Then he gets a "That'll do" and a pat.
- Repeat.

It's both physical from going up and down the steps, and it's also mental from having to listen to me instead of just tunnel-visioning on the ball and chasing it.

This is a really good idea, thanks! Tarkus has some strong herding tendencies so I’ve already worked with him on “find” and “fetch” quite a bit. So far he’s able to differentiate 3 of his toys by name to go fetch so maybe I can up the challenge by incorporating the downstairs as possible hiding places.