Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SoftNum posted:

For those still following the AMD NPT 10 year old bug, someone put together an actual patch (as opposed to a hack):

https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10027525/

Ten years of "AMD NEEDS TO FIX THEIR poo poo SCREEEEE" followed by one guy adding seven loving lines of code to fix the actual bug in the hypervisor.

God drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
If it's that important it sounds like it would have been a good thing for AMD to patch 10 years ago? I wonder how many sales they lost over those 7 lines.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I think AMD is happy to sell its GPU's to anyone and if that means they get to take a piece of Intel's pie as half of the APU equation that is fine by them. That doesn't mean they wouldn't have preferred to have Vega or Fury work out better for them but business is business.

Price is going to matter lots here. If it turns out to cost $400-500+ then I think it'll be a hard sell for most since it'll work out to probably offer similar bang vs buck to a more typical Intel/AMD + dGPU laptop. If its like $200-300-ish and offers mid-ish range dGPU performance with a 4C/8T or better Kaby Lake with good clocks with good volume parts then that is a big big deal and Nvidia's entire low/mid range mobile market share might just drat near evaporate within 2 quarters.

Given that they're supposedly targeting high perf thin n' light platforms with this thing that strongly suggests to me it'll be fairly expensive and either a ho hum or low volume part for high end laptops while also being fairly power limited in what it can clock to which will have a significant effect on performance in a bad way. Which to me would be disappointing and kinda uninteresting since I strongly do not care about the $1800+ laptop market and I don't think most others are interested or capable of spending that much money in general on a laptop these days either.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It's nice that AMD spent all that time and effort helping Intel APU's become really powerful graphically.

Doesn't "APU" specifically refer to chips with HSA/unified memory? We need a new term for Intel's discrete-graphics-on-package thing :thunk:

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

lol

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

Ten years of "AMD NEEDS TO FIX THEIR poo poo SCREEEEE" followed by one guy adding seven loving lines of code to fix the actual bug in the hypervisor.

God drat.

Pretty sure that's how most bug fixes go when there isn't some central arbiter/decider to tell someone to gently caress off and fix it or prove it's not your fault.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

repiv posted:

Doesn't "APU" specifically refer to chips with HSA/unified memory? We need a new term for Intel's discrete-graphics-on-package thing :thunk:
Hmm. What are we going to call it?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

ohgodwhat posted:

Oh cool based on your recollection we can all start violating our non competes, no matter the jurisdiction or structure of the agreement.

If I ask an undercover cop if they're a cop, they have to tell me the truth right? Or else it's entrapment? Just trying to get a little bit more free legal advice here. :v:

In California they are not.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
My understanding was that there are enforceable non-competes in California, but the only ones that are enforceable are the ones where the original company must continue paying the employee full salary until the non-compete time is up.

Which would essentially mean the companies would be on the hook for hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars for every employee they hired, and so few companies actually ever had those.

3peat
May 6, 2010

This guy got a 8c/8t r3 1200 https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7c4c5v/quick_question_dont_upvote_1016_cinebench_score/

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

I for one welcome the actual literal silicon lottery.

hay guys I unboxed a 8c8t!

gently caress no

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
im trying to think of a hardware term that rhymes with 'loot' to make a lootbox joke

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Hmm. What are we going to call it?

The MPU, or the Molten Multi-processing unit, duh!

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

SoftNum posted:

For those still following the AMD NPT 10 year old bug, someone put together an actual patch (as opposed to a hack):

https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10027525/

I installed this patch and the SMT patch for KVM / QEMU floating around (QEMU is literally hard-coded to reject AMD procs using SMT), and it works like a charm. (Near) Bare metal performance on all games and applications, SMT properly passes through now, etc. I'm going to give it a week then nuke out my dual boot partition.

Long live Ryzen! Whoo!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
CPUs should come in crates

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I think you just ran right into a car analogy

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Don Lapre posted:

CPUs should come in crates

What did Ryzen come in? I'm not sure 'box' accurately describes it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

isndl posted:

A sponge. Threadripper shipped inside a size model of the Guardian of Forever.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I wonder if Intel's going to try to made that Larrabee crap work again.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

I wonder if Intel's going to try to made that Larrabee crap work again.

I doubt it. That found a comfortable spot as Xeon Phi, and Intel doesn't need to replace all GPUs ever everywhere, just have a competitive product. The idea I've seen people suggesting so far is a scaled-up version of Iris Pro graphics for the immediate feature, while Raja and his team work on a new architecture for three or so years from now.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

isndl posted:

I mean like a blind bag

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Best outcome would be an AMD-NV merger, selling RTG assets to Intel with interim licensing of said IP until NV-based APUs come to play.

Lisa/JHH, please make this happen you know deep down you are both BFFs

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Palladium posted:

Best outcome would be an AMD-NV merger, selling RTG assets to Intel with interim licensing of said IP until NV-based APUs come to play.

Lisa/JHH, please make this happen you know deep down you are both BFFs

Would likely not pass antitrust for a number of reasons. GPU consolidation (Intel has 0% of the dGPU market right now) and the x86 license falls apart if AMD is acquired iirc.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
To be fair they explicitly said that intel would get dgpu ip

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

To be fair they explicitly said that intel would get dgpu ip

doesn't really matter even if you're using the standard DoJ "do consumers pay more" criteria -- nvidia is twisting the screws and as a shareholder, i am glad of it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://geizhals.eu/?phist=1664849
https://geizhals.eu/?phist=1582193

:eyepop:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Pinnacle Ridge is coming on 12nm, I expect these kinds of prices are the only way to make the older processors price competitive at all. Keep in mind they'll still need to churn them out because not all Summit Ridge processors will be good enough for EPYC or mobile.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

intel has gotta to be getting explicit or implicit pressure from a big OEM like apple or otherwise if they're so yet-again on boldly chasing the idea of keeping everything comfy on one homemade chunk of silicon

phi is...phi

but them turning a bunch a money towards a future-bound fright of losing the competitive process wars is big time indicative assuming intel management isn't totally ignorant of scraped inside knowledge of future industry-wide plans

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Bulgakov posted:

intel has gotta to be getting explicit or implicit pressure from a big OEM like apple or otherwise if they're so yet-again on boldly chasing the idea of keeping everything comfy on one homemade chunk of silicon

phi is...phi

but them turning a bunch a money towards a future-bound fright of losing the competitive process wars is big time indicative assuming intel management isn't totally ignorant of scraped inside knowledge of future industry-wide plans

Word on the street is the process guys are having too much control over Intel and the design guys are falling by the wayside, in a time when they need the latter than the former more than ever.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

Word on the street is the process guys are having too much control over Intel and the design guys are falling by the wayside, in a time when they need the latter than the former more than ever.

If this is even remotely true, this is going to be one spectacular show to watch in the coming years :munch:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I'm seeing up to 20% drops for both threadripper and Ryzen 7 cpus in Black friday pre sales here in Norway. Strangely the 1700 was not discounted so the 1700x is now cheaper.

1800x at 385 usd (was 470 before latest cut, release price was 650 usd)
1700x at 325 usd (was 405 before latest cut, release price was 505 usd)
1700 at 350 usd.

a little less cuts on threadripper
1950x at 970 usd, (was 1090 before latest cut, release price was 1230 usd)
1920x at 785 usd (was 850 before latest cut, release price was 990 usd)
1900x is at 530 usd, not reduced.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Truga posted:

If this is even remotely true, this is going to be one spectacular show to watch in the coming years :munch:

before anyone manages to figure out how to bring theory to experiment, and from that into a new reproducible paradigm of manufacturing wafers, its gonna probably be a relatively boring battle while everyone is butting up against certain limits of physics, the whole lot constrained by improvements of microarchitecture efficiency in a world where hired brains change IP owners amongst a tiny devolving oligopoly

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Bulgakov posted:

phi is...phi

I would be really surprised if Intel tried that poo poo again.

They almost got chopped up and sold for parts after the Anti-Trust lawsuits last time they tried in the early 2000s.

Then again, they were incredibly brazen about it last time and it kinda worked so who knows.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Xae posted:

I would be really surprised if Intel tried that poo poo again.

They almost got chopped up and sold for parts after the Anti-Trust lawsuits last time they tried in the early 2000s.

Then again, they were incredibly brazen about it last time and it kinda worked so who knows.

They have a few years before anyone outside Europe will care to enforce antitrust laws.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Munkeymon posted:

They have a few years before anyone outside Europe will care to enforce antitrust laws.

How so?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

America has no interest in pursuing antitrust cases, regardless of the administration in charge:

Liking my 1700 so far though. :cheers:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Microcenter has 1700X down to $230

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Facetious posted:

America has no interest in pursuing antitrust cases, regardless of the administration in charge:

Liking my 1700 so far though. :cheers:

Sigh

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEU6gk8N5yc

i like adored but my man is flogging ICOs which may be indicative that i may be watching something that is slightly removed from reality. although i guess man has to get paid. hopefully not in bitcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Seamonster posted:

Microcenter has 1700X down to $230

Here comes those pricecuts we knew were coming! At $230, it slots between the Coffee Lake i5s. That's probably the right place for it.

The R5 1600 is at $170 at microcenter. If 8400's ever get back down to MSRP, thats probably a little higher than it should be. But for now with them sitting at $199 where you can find em, thats probably the right price too.