Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

All good.

People who buy phones outright and don’t need insurance: cool and good

People who lose phones and want to protect themselves: cool and good

People who choose the option that works for them after considering all options: cool and good

Everyone ok, now?

sellouts fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

All good.

People who buy phones outright and don’t need insurance: cool and good

People who lose phones and want to protect themselves: cool and good

People who choose the option that works for them after considering all options: cool and good

Everyone ok, now?

Sounds good and reasonable.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Duckman2008 posted:

Sounds good and reasonable.

I disagree :colbert:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hey man, I’m just trying to stop the derail.

Let’s go back to what the next month or two will inevitably be: complaining about iPhone X inventory.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

Let’s go back to what the next month or two will inevitably be: complaining about iPhone X inventory.

I'm already in the back of the line at Apple because of that weird phone plan fuckery. I wonder what my local (read: an hour round trip) corporate Verizon store's stock will be...

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Duckman2008 posted:

Isn't stock universally better than expected? I remember thinking after reading several articles that if I didn't order right away that I could very well not get one well into next year but even now it still says ship by 12-1 and that's worst case scenario.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

comper posted:

Isn't stock universally better than expected? I remember thinking after reading several articles that if I didn't order right away that I could very well not get one well into next year but even now it still says ship by 12-1 and that's worst case scenario.

As always, I guess we shall see. Honestly, I thought my store would get, at most, 5-10, and we got 30+ for tomorrow, so who the hell knows.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm just jokin' about.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is there an end date on the Pixel 2 50%-off-with-trade deal? Last year there was a 50% off deal at Black Friday with no trade necessary, so I'm wondering if this is as good as it's going to get.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

Is there an end date on the Pixel 2 50%-off-with-trade deal? Last year there was a 50% off deal at Black Friday with no trade necessary, so I'm wondering if this is as good as it's going to get.

I didn’t look at the dates. I’ll check tomorrow, but likely it’ll be the Wednesday before Black Friday. We won’t know Verizon Black Friday deals until around then unless they leak.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why

Duckman2008 posted:

I didn’t look at the dates. I’ll check tomorrow, but likely it’ll be the Wednesday before Black Friday. We won’t know Verizon Black Friday deals until around then unless they leak.

Really hoping for a ~$15/mo deal for the Pixel 2.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Is the throttling data cap for unlimited plans per line or per plan? Is it treated as a shared data bucket like the old family plans were?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

zimbomonkey posted:

Is the throttling data cap for unlimited plans per line or per plan? Is it treated as a shared data bucket like the old family plans were?

It's per line, so each line has its own 22GB counter towards deprioritization and its own 15GB counter for tethering.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I just got verizon and it's slow as poo poo. Does the extra $10 a month for prioritization really help?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Over There posted:

I just got verizon and it's slow as poo poo. Does the extra $10 a month for prioritization really help?

Honestly don't know, but I would say try it. Do you live in a city / densely populated area?

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
So the Verizon BF deals are out and they're pretty underwhelming.
http://www.verizon.com/about/news/get-50-google-pixel-2-samsung-galaxy-s8-moto-z2-force-and-more-black-friday-verizon

Was hoping for something better on the Pixel 2 but I can't do Unlimited since my family plan ends up being more expensive on that.
Guess I'll just pull the trigger on the "up to 50% off with trade-in" deal they have going on.
I'll be trading in a Galaxy S6 so for a Pixel 2 64GB it'll be ~$17 a month which ain't bad.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Google home mini for (technically) $20, though.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hmmxkrazee posted:

So the Verizon BF deals are out and they're pretty underwhelming.
http://www.verizon.com/about/news/get-50-google-pixel-2-samsung-galaxy-s8-moto-z2-force-and-more-black-friday-verizon

Was hoping for something better on the Pixel 2 but I can't do Unlimited since my family plan ends up being more expensive on that.
Guess I'll just pull the trigger on the "up to 50% off with trade-in" deal they have going on.
I'll be trading in a Galaxy S6 so for a Pixel 2 64GB it'll be ~$17 a month which ain't bad.

Yeah , the Black Friday promos would be a lot better if they didn’t require unlimited. Verizon drives me crazy when they do that. And the iPad and android tablet deals aren’t bad, but that doesn’t drive people in the door.

Like, no one is discounting iPhones, so I can live without a promo there, but plan requirements for the android phones just makes it difficult.

Btw, wild card: rumor is Verizon is getting a bunch of iPhone Xs in Wednesday and Friday. Certainly can vary by region.

Either way, Thank god I hit my base goals already.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
I'm already an unlimited customer who was looking for a discounted pixel, so that's a no go right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

clamiam45 posted:

I'm already an unlimited customer who was looking for a discounted pixel, so that's a no go right?

If you have unlimited you get the 50% off the Pixel 2,so actually you should be good. Not sure if it applies to the old school unlimited plan, but if you got one of the newer versions you are fine.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

If you have unlimited you get the 50% off the Pixel 2,so actually you should be good. Not sure if it applies to the old school unlimited plan, but if you got one of the newer versions you are fine.

I read it as though you have to sign up for unlimited.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It’s probably likely that from now on significant phone discounts are going to require Unlimited, isn’t it? I kind of got that hunch when the iPhone 8 came out in September.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

clamiam45 posted:

I read it as though you have to sign up for unlimited.

Sorry, not “new to unlimited.” You just have to have unlimited.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Cool, I purchased a Pixel 2 XL yesterday, so I'm hoping they'll just give me the credit instead of making me return and re-purchase. Do you know how that works usually?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

clamiam45 posted:

Cool, I purchased a Pixel 2 XL yesterday, so I'm hoping they'll just give me the credit instead of making me return and re-purchase. Do you know how that works usually?

I did that last year. I just called in on that Friday and asked for a price adjustment.

They told me I'd start getting 24 months worth of bill credits, but what actually happened was I got the whole shebang as a single $325+ credit against my bill.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

clamiam45 posted:

What Kitten Smoothie said. It should just be “exchange, price adjust” in the system and it usually processes it fine. It’s a Credit over 2 years, so it’s likely still that’s how it will show, lump sum is nice but not expected at this point.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Awesome, I was hoping waiting until Black Friday would pay off. I'll take 15ish bucks a month for a Pixel 2.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Duckman2008 posted:

Honestly don't know, but I would say try it. Do you live in a city / densely populated area?

I changed over to the premium version. It is 100% faster now.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Does anyone have any serious opinions of the s8 over the pixil2 or vice versa? (Especially about call quality?)

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Anyone know about this deal from Best Buy?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-pixel-xl-4g-lte-with-32gb-memory-cell-phone-very-silver-verizon/5656048.p?skuId=5656048

Pixel XL for 5 a month. Can I just go pay $120 and have a cheap but pretty decent phone to backup my old 6s+?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Hdip posted:

Anyone know about this deal from Best Buy?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-pixel-xl-4g-lte-with-32gb-memory-cell-phone-very-silver-verizon/5656048.p?skuId=5656048

Pixel XL for 5 a month. Can I just go pay $120 and have a cheap but pretty decent phone to backup my old 6s+?

quote:

Total savings of $624.00 includes Best Buy instant discount and $17.91/mo. carrier bill for 24 months. Bill credits end when phone balance is paid off.

It used to be that when Best Buy ran a promo like this, they'd essentially make a down payment on your behalf, in which case you could pay $119 down on your side, have a $1 payment plan that you buy out as soon as you can, and be done.

But it looks like they've closed that loophole and it's 24 months of bill credits just like every other promo they run.

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

I just swapped my family over to UnlimitedGo from T-Mobile for better coverage, especially where my brother and I live - but it seems like our texting is way worse now.

Before we'd intermittently not get texts, or they'd all pile up and deliver later - but now there are people we simply don't receive them from or only receive every other text.

We certainly seem to have better connections around the property now and other Verizon users here haven't ever had issues, what gives?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
How do I not pay an activation fee?

I bought a Pixel 2 XL off Google and didn't have to do this. Just popped in my old SIM card and I was off and running.

I just bought a Pixel on sale for my wife from Verizon's Cyber Monday sale (it was "$10/mo" yesterday so it was hard to pass up considering her current phone is dying a painful death), but they nailed us with a $30 "activation fee" which was to "keep bringing [me] the best coverage." Pretty sure it's to cover the teenager's 10 minutes to set up your new phone in the store, but we can do that ourselves. I don't need a new drat SIM card.

There is no option when buying online from Verizon's site...and the tracking came and sure enough there was a 2nd line item for a SIM card.

Can I fight this ever, or am I perpetually screwed when buying phones directly from Verizon?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DaveSauce posted:

How do I not pay an activation fee?

I bought a Pixel 2 XL off Google and didn't have to do this. Just popped in my old SIM card and I was off and running.

I just bought a Pixel on sale for my wife from Verizon's Cyber Monday sale (it was "$10/mo" yesterday so it was hard to pass up considering her current phone is dying a painful death), but they nailed us with a $30 "activation fee" which was to "keep bringing [me] the best coverage." Pretty sure it's to cover the teenager's 10 minutes to set up your new phone in the store, but we can do that ourselves. I don't need a new drat SIM card.

There is no option when buying online from Verizon's site...and the tracking came and sure enough there was a 2nd line item for a SIM card.

Can I fight this ever, or am I perpetually screwed when buying phones directly from Verizon?

Whenever you buy w phone from Verizon there’s a $30 act fee. The reason is because they can. You can call care and ask them to waive it. Mileage will vary on whether they do or not.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

DaveSauce posted:

perpetually screwed when buying phones directly from Verizon
New title?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Got a notification for a phone update, which is always good to see. However the update also includes some mandatory security nightmare ad app called Appflash. Cool, so if I want the November security patches I have to also install literal spyware on my phone? gently caress you yet again Verizon.

How awful is this app and can I block permissions+disable it, or does it integrate permanently into the launcher?

Edit: it's still bullshit but at least it can be disabled under system apps.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 1, 2017

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

future ghost posted:

Got a notification for a phone update, which is always good to see. However the update also includes some mandatory security nightmare ad app called Appflash. Cool, so if I want the November security patches I have to also install literal spyware on my phone? gently caress you yet again Verizon.

How awful is this app and can I block permissions+disable it, or does it integrate permanently into the launcher?

Edit: it's still bullshit but at least it can be disabled under system apps.

Hats good to know it can be disabled, but def ridiculous.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Chatted with a Verizon rep and got my Pixel 2 promo switched to the current one they're having ($300 off). Originally it was $649 - $225 (Trade in promo) but now it's $649 - $300 off promo - $130 (if I sell my old phone on Swappa or something).

What a ridiculous deal for the phone. Love it.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Thinking of doing the Pixel 2 24-month credit deal but I'm reading a lot of horror stories about Verizon "forgetting" to apply the credit and customers having to fight with support to get it applied each month. Anyone have experience with that and know if it's a common thing or just a vocal minority?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Luchadork posted:

Thinking of doing the Pixel 2 24-month credit deal but I'm reading a lot of horror stories about Verizon "forgetting" to apply the credit and customers having to fight with support to get it applied each month. Anyone have experience with that and know if it's a common thing or just a vocal minority?

This was a big issue last year, the kinks are worked out at this point. $300 off is a good deal so I would go for it.