Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I forget when it happened in the episode, but my mind flashback to the end of the Family Guy episode where Stewie kills Lois. At the end of that episode, it was revealed to all be a simulation. Stewie and Brian got into an argument over whether or not the audience would feel that it was a cop out. Considering he makes that show as well and considering he very strongly argued that an interesting story is all that matters, I figured out where this was heading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

VivaLa Eeveelution posted:

It was around the point where I was fistbumping the air when circumcision got rightfully trashed that I thought, "...yeah, they don't got this."

It might make a difference 75 years later, though.

Speaking of, does this mean Klyden is 75 years old? Or is that "only once every 75 years" bullshit?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Kazy posted:

Speaking of, does this mean Klyden is 75 years old? Or is that "only once every 75 years" bullshit?

It's probably something some politician said to justify suppressing any females that show up. Then doctors don't bother to keep any stats on how many babies are actually born female so no one ever notices there are more than they realize.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Or maybe the Moclan year is like a week and a half Earth time.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Watch the Google talk video linked above. it's got some good insight into how the show happened.
"aggressive casualization of life on a space ship" Yeah. That's exactly what they're doing and it's working.

Oooh ! I'm re-watching Firestorm. Right at the beginning where Alara freezes when faced with the fire in Engineering... the trapped crewman is probably killed by the second piece of wreckage that falls on him (the doctor does say the first piece that pinned him probably did too much damage), and if Alara hadn't been frozen, it would have hit her while she was trying to rescue the doomed trapped person. That's classic Survivor Syndrome right there; good, subtle writing.

Other notes:
In the back of the funeral formation, the last two rows are all blueshirts. So the command path people aren't just the senior officers, if that's what blue means.

The doctor's weird smile was at least partly makeup. It is still Joker as all hell.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Kingdom posted:

That's the worst kind!

A clown, i'm out, seeya next week Orville

Look forward to the rundown of how it raped someone.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I'm not really sure why, but my year-and-a-half old daughter, who mostly ignores anything on TV because she'd rather go play, is incredibly interested and engaged in The Orville.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Rocksicles posted:

A clown, i'm out, seeya next week Orville

Look forward to the rundown of how it raped someone.

It's not the rapey kind of clown... (EDIT: :nms: I guess if you're the kind of person who gets scared of simple things like circus clowns.)
...It's the eldritch kind!

8one6 fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 20, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

8one6 posted:

It's not the rapey kind of clown...

Error 404: Does not compute.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The first time the clown showed up, it looked differently and in IMO more disconcerting.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So the thing about smart TV nowadays is that it needs to subvert expectations in order to be good. At the very least this is true for dramas and comedies, because drama requires tension (which cannot be built if the viewer is constantly correctly guessing what happens next) and comedy is at its base level human subversion.

So, take The Orville. You've got an episode where the captain thanks "Doctor Park" for his co-opting of pheromones to make peace among two races despite this Doctor Park being a background character that nobody really paid attention to up until this episode. The very next episode starts with an unknown background actor's death, followed up by Doctor Park. When Doctor Park dies, a series of things run through the mind of an analytical watcher. "Oh, huh, I didn't even know that guy until the last episode and I had wondered why they singled him out and gave him a name. I guess it was so that the impact of his death in this, the next episode, would actually mean something. Gosh, I'm actually feeling tension now that they're willing to kill him off! Oh well, was nice knowing you Doctor Park!"

After a few beats we see Malloy get gobbled up by a giant spider. The first thought of the analytical viewer is "okay, he isn't actually dead" with the second thought being "either that spider ate him whole and he's gonna get pooped/puked/blown out of it or this is a holodeck/alternate-reality episode." At this point, though, the tension already hit where it needed to be. There's no reason for a character death to matter here, it's actually the intention of the show to relieve tension and get the viewer thinking about which scenario Alara has been put in. It's giving the viewer a chance to refine what could have possibly been an earlier guess (for those who were like "yep, clown? holodeck) because this show is actually smarter than it looks. It's playing to the analytical viewer. It practically becomes a game. This is why I've been saying all season that this show never quite does what you expect; the writers/editors know what you're going to expect and are actively trying to make something else happen.

And what happens? Turns out Alara forced herself to partake in the trials of the holodeck in order to face her fears. Yet, even after the show has told us this, there's still one thing that keeps the drama there: The fact that they try to stop the simulation, which is actually harming her physically (and although there has been no mention of her turning safeguards off, there's never been a mention of Orville's holodeck having proper safety procedures in place, either) but can't do it due to her override. Now, whether that kind of drama works on you kinda boils past the analytical portion of viewership since the analysts will know any real danger to her doesn't matter because this is an episodic show, not a serial, but it will still work for the non-analytical viewer and they'll still get the dramatic jollies of worrying about her being harmed.

Am I over-analyzing this show? Yes. Do I still think it's important to do? Absolutely. Not only does the writing on this show subvert expectations but the show as a whole is still subverting my expectations of where Seth MacFarlane could take it. The Orville flew past my "guilty pleasure" threshold, past my "decent television" threshold, and is now bumping up against my "this is actually smart television" threshold. There's still plenty to nitpick and roll my eyes at which should be done better (and at this point suspect it all will be with Season 2) but the proof is there that they can reach an extremely high potential they've set for themselves.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The first time the clown showed up, it looked differently and in IMO more disconcerting.

Man, gif really can't handle those colors..

Yeah it kinda depends on if you think monster clowns are scarier than regular clowns or not.
Upon watching this specific scene again, I like how the clown just slowly leans forward before breaking into a sprint at Alara.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Nov 20, 2017

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

So is Isaac an actual made-out-of metal robot? Or an actual species? He talks about a homeworld and stuff as if he was a living thing, but then also is a loving robot.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

So is Isaac an actual made-out-of metal robot? Or an actual species? He talks about a homeworld and stuff as if he was a living thing, but then also is a loving robot.
Sentient AI. Perhaps not fully metal, but certainly fully synthetic. You gotta get into some Philip K Dick stuff if you wanna understand why that could be considered an actual species. Biology doesn't have to denote life. Or does it? Ask Philip K Dick. And maybe watch Bladerunner.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DaveKap posted:

So the thing about smart TV nowadays is that it needs to subvert expectations in order to be good. At the very least this is true for dramas and comedies, because.... :words:

Am I over-analyzing this show? Yes

Can't spell analyze without anal.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

Why can't a robot be a living thing

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I just want to comment that whoever is inside the Isaac suit does a great job of emoting without any real facial features whatsoever.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Iron Crowned posted:

I just want to comment that whoever is inside the Isaac suit does a great job of emoting without any real facial features whatsoever.

Thank ancient Greece and the decision to you use mask acting. Our reverence for their culture has led to us adopting that and making a lot of techniques and even making it a required part of learning in many schools. Thus, acting in a full body suit with none of your features showing is just an extension of that acting exercise.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

One thing about Isaac that surprised me is that based on the pilot, I really expected them to do more with the extremely racist robot angle, at least for comedic effect. For someone convinced of his own utter superiority, he manages to avoid expressing his disdain for the most part.

Maybe they decided to tone it down in the actual series.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

There Bias Two posted:

One thing about Isaac that surprised me is that based on the pilot, I really expected them to do more with the extremely racist robot angle, at least for comedic effect. For someone convinced of his own utter superiority, he manages to avoid expressing his disdain for the most part.

It's probably because Isaac is there to learn about the crew. Can you be racist toward ants when studying an ant colony?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ECoCQfG4C4

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There Bias Two posted:

I think he just isn't autistic and is able to not constantly be going on about it. Every time he's explicitly asked, he does happily tell them that he is a superior being.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Iron Crowned posted:

It's probably because Isaac is there to learn about the crew. Can you be racist toward ants when studying an ant colony?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ECoCQfG4C4

Yes. I absolutely despise the red ones.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

Why can't a robot be a living thing

I...I was not prepared for this line of questioning

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Xalidur posted:

I'm not really sure why, but my year-and-a-half old daughter, who mostly ignores anything on TV because she'd rather go play, is incredibly interested and engaged in The Orville.

I dunno why that would be. There are other shows that are bright and colorful, other shows with live action aliens, other shows with similar pacing. It could be the transcendental quality of comfiness it takes from TNG.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

I think he just isn't autistic and is able to not constantly be going on about it. Every time he's explicitly asked, he does happily tell them that he is a superior being.

:robotruths:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, this is an interesting thing about Isaac. We're told he's racist, and when asked, he demonstrates he believes entirely in his superiority, and the rest of the crew's inferiority... but he doesn't read like a racist. I guess that's because when we think of a real human racist we're thinking of a racist rear end in a top hat. Someone who feels some sort of insecurity and a need to put themselves above others. It comes off as petty and cruel and is one reason racism is so gross to see.

But Isaac has no insecurity. He has no reason to be cruel. And so he doesn't feel racist, when he totally is.

(This is putting aside the fact that in this sci fi world he might be factually right about his superiority in many respects and that also makes his attitude less grating.)

Isaac is great, and him going evil was one of the only scary bits that worked for me personally. Not the bit where his voice went "creepy" which was a bit too over the top for me, just the part where there's a slow realization that he can't be trusted, but he's still saying everything in his completely matter-of-fact tone. He's been their magic bullet, probably solving half the episodes' problems by himself, so we've come to respect his near godlike capabilities. Slowly realizing he's not working with you anymore is really unsettling.

Like that TNG episode where the crew loses time and Data starts lying about stuff. That's good creepy robot man stuff.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Eiba posted:

Like that TNG episode where the crew loses time and Data starts lying about stuff. That's good creepy robot man stuff.

The guys at the Greatest Generation Podcast, for a long time were saying that Data was the most dangerous crew member on the Enterprise because of what he had the potential to do.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Data being assimilated would have been just as compelling a storyline as Picard's or perhaps moreso. How would an android feel toward cybernetic organisms? Would there be some affinity toward them, or maybe extreme dislike.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Iron Crowned posted:

The guys at the Greatest Generation Podcast, for a long time were saying that Data was the most dangerous crew member on the Enterprise because of what he had the potential to do.

They obviously forgot about Troi behind the controls

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

There Bias Two posted:

Data being assimilated would have been just as compelling a storyline as Picard's or perhaps moreso. How would an android feel toward cybernetic organisms? Would there be some affinity toward them, or maybe extreme dislike.

It's the strongest thematic element of First Contact.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Snak posted:

It's the strongest thematic element of First Contact.

Ah I never watched that one.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

There Bias Two posted:

Yeah, the TNG movies are, not great.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Davros1 posted:

They obviously forgot about Troi behind the controls
"They gave the keys to the kid. They gave the keys to the blind guy..."

I'll never get sick of Red Letter Media's take on the TNG movies.

There Bias Two posted:

Yeah, basically there's ugly racism and then there's pretty racism. Isaac's got the pretty version.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The more times you watch TNG, the more unsettling Data becomes.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

The more times you watch TNG, the more unsettling Data becomes.

This poo poo straight up scared me as a kid.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 20, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DaveKap posted:

"They gave the keys to the kid. They gave the keys to the blind guy..."

I'll never get sick of Red Letter Media's take on the TNG movies.

"We threw the keys to anyone wearing red who happened to be passing by..."

I loving love the Plinkett Star Trek reviews, they might even be better than his Star Wars ones.

E: VVV Some guy named William Shakesman agrees.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 20, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

WampaLord posted:

"We threw the keys to anyone wearing red who happened to be passing by..."

I loving love the Plinkett Star Trek reviews, they might even be better than his Star Wars ones.
After watching them all multiple times I'm pretty well seated in the "TNG ones were better" camp. Brevity, wit, etc.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Iron Crowned posted:

A novel series that details how numerous major events in TNG were puppeteered by Data's subtle machinations, R Daneel Olivaw style, thus loving spoiling all the fun of each episode

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

There Bias Two posted:

First Contact is one of my personal top 5 favorite Star Trek episodes in general tbh: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/First_Contact_(episode)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I honestly felt FC could've done without the whole time travel storyline. Should've just been the crew, trying to repel an invasion of Borg. Make it the ST version of Aliens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah when Isaac says he's "superior" to everyone else, it scans not as a judgement of morality, but more like his people see it as "We are, just as a matter of fact, better at some things". Like, it doesn't scan as if he would ever say "My people write the best poems in the universe", or "We're the best at jokes" (though Isaac is making a case that he is, at least practical jokes).

It seems like maybe his people have achieved a kind of literal perfection, like they have a true Utopian society and have no ego or malice within them. I think it's gonna end up being something like that, when we inevitably see his home planet.