Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Jealous Cow posted:

Why do so many of you have nice-ish microphones?

For making subtitled LPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I don't have desk space for a nice mic but I appreciate people who do have them when using VOIP

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting

Jealous Cow posted:

Why do so many of you have nice-ish microphones?

To properly pick up the treble of my nasally voice

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I got a Blue Yeti on sale for $70 because I'm a tech whore

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Photex posted:

generally the stopper for people using nice microphones is requiring an interface, but if you play a musical instrument you probably already own an interface. A good microphone can be had for $100, I personally use an AKG D5

Deviant posted:

I stream games sometimes, and it picks up noise there which isnt a big deal, but for anything recorded, a simple click filter cuts the noise.

Also I redid the wiring on the desk to be a little bit cleaner, and am going to use the cable box behind the monitor, so we'll see how it looks tomorrow

scrubs season six posted:

For my 100k/yr twitch career which is gonna take off ANY DAY NOW I'm sure of it.

Edmond Dantes posted:

For making subtitled LPs.

HELLBITCH posted:

To properly pick up the treble of my nasally voice

Touché.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Light and small is the name of the game in printers, carryable

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
She needs to know your forearms are strong enough to carry the printer and then wank yr dong after because you're not getting laid.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I don't have that problem with browns but reds for sure accidental keystrokes happen all the time.

The stiffer my keys, the stiffer I get. :getin:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
How are you guys handling your headphones cables? I got a hook to hang mine under my desk, but my dac (which sits on the desktop since it has the volume control) has the jack output at the front, so the cables run over the desk, and are starting to annoy me.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Edmond Dantes posted:

How are you guys handling your headphones cables? I got a hook to hang mine under my desk, but my dac (which sits on the desktop since it has the volume control) has the jack output at the front, so the cables run over the desk, and are starting to annoy me.

Bluetooth :c00lbert:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

Get an extension cable?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Weedle posted:

Bluetooth :c00lbert:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Edmond Dantes posted:

I keep my controller a few inches from my keyboard, I spool up the slack and velcro tied it together and keep it under one of the legs of my keyboard. it stays hidden pretty well under the keyboard and I have adequate slack for sitting in my normal position.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

This is me trying to balance 15 year old me's desire for a blinged out rig with current me's desire for a clean, efficient desk. I'm happy with the results.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 11, 2017

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I like it.

I just switched from a case with the window on the right to a case with the window on the left and it's hosed my poo poo all up but if I had a skinny table/sideboard/whatever thing like that to put the PC on it might solve some of my problems.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Its called a Console Table! There's a ton of them on Amazon. I had never heard of them till a few days ago when I started a search with "small table".

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Why would you put your ATX computer on top of a table? To impress people? Who?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

There's no room on the floor what with all the piss jugs and poop socks.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Small children who don't know how to keep their grubby button pressing hands to themselves.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Lol that guy doesn't have kids

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Pease, I keep my piss jugs next to the bed, the desk is just surrounded by a graveyard of La Croix cans.

Real answer is that I always wanted a stupid, tacky build. None of my friends that come over know anything about gaming PCs, or give a poo poo about my “rig”. Once the novelty wears off in a few months the table will go in the hall and the case will go in the bottom left corner of the desk.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

dust

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I've got a kid on the way and I have prepared by building my new pc in a case with all the buttons behind a locked panel :colbert:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

This and cat hair.

If my PC is on the floor I need to open it up and clean all the filters/blow out the heatsinks roughly every 2-3 months. With it on my desk it usually isn't too bad even after a year.

I keep considering buying one of those under-desk hanging mounts since getting a standing desk though because with the desk at standing height my tower is tall enough that it occludes my Vive lighthouses for the nearby corner of the room.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 12, 2017

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Just giving a reason why one might put an ATX case on a desk, hoss.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
The amount of dust on the floor is exponentially higher than on top of a table + you can vaccum the floor properly.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
My contribution:

Double butcher block desks in an L-shape with a futon and measly TV in front as a 3rd monitor when needed.

This is normally covered in transformers and other nerdy bullshit but I had to clean up for the nephews visiting this weekend!

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Heaven:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Why are there two subwoofers?

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Why are there two subwoofers?

the thing to the left is just a storage box! wish i did have two subs.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
This just has the first coat of finish on it. I hope to complete the finishing process and move this thing upstairs by the end of next weekend.

This is built from a mix of domestic and Baltic birch plywood and assembled using only glue and box joints. The finish is natural-colored Danish Oil, a blend of oil and varnish that is really easy to apply, but requires about a day between coats.

The shelves will hold the computer in order to keep it away from the floor to reduce dust ingress and to keep the top-mounted power button away from my ten-month-old daughter's tiny probing fingers. The top measures 24" deep and 60" wide. The monitors are attached to extending monitor arms mounted to the wall.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

How do you spend whatever that keyboard costs and then have a lovely pack-in OEM mouse?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

How do you spend whatever that keyboard costs and then have a lovely pack-in OEM mouse?

I like that model of mouse. I’ve used them for years.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i like the ease of access to the printer, so it can quickly be picked up and carried several miles

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

i like the ease of access to the printer, so it can quickly be picked up and carried several miles

you already made this joke

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Weedle posted:

you already made this joke

he's a brain in a bunker, give him a break

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Weedle posted:

I like that model of mouse. I’ve used them for years.

I absolutely refuse to believe that anyone like Lenobo mouses.
At least yours is the new model that has a real scroll wheel...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Is that a laser printer? You know that regularly inhaling toner dust has been linked to serious health problems right? You shouldn't have the printer right next to where you sit if you can avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Wouldn't the printer have to be operating constantly for that to even be a concern?