Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Xenomorph posted:

So I scratched my sapphire display already. Can these be buffed out?
I saw some recommendations for diamond paste.

Give it some time, it might not be a scratch. A lot of people have thought they've scratched their sapphire when it turned out to be material transfer from something the sapphire scratched. It can wear off or be removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

How’d you scratch it? Not trying to be snarky, just curious.

Turning off a faucet in my basement. The edge of the watch face scraped against a cement wall.

rage-saq posted:

Give it some time, it might not be a scratch. A lot of people have thought they've scratched their sapphire when it turned out to be material transfer from something the sapphire scratched. It can wear off or be removed.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to clean it off with rubbing alcohol and a cloth. It very much seems scraped. If this is debris, I'd like to know how to clean it off.

Series 3, Space Black Stainless Steel. I had it for less than a month before scratching it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dick Nipples posted:

Because the Dark Sky watchOS app is hot garbage?

Seriously - use Carrot Weather. You’ll be way happier.

It looks like carrot uses the dark sky data. And also on top of the $5 for the app, you have to buy “premium” for the watch alerts. Ehhhhh.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It looks like carrot uses the dark sky data. And also on top of the $5 for the app, you have to buy “premium” for the watch alerts. Ehhhhh.

Don’t get me wrong - I get what you’re saying.

That said - these people aren’t writing software out of the kindness of their hearts. I’m happy to pay a nominal price for poo poo that works.

If you don’t want to pay for something - the default weather app is also nice.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The data from dark sky isn't the issue; the quality of the app named 'dark sky' precludes its ability to display it well.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah that’s true. I was most balking at having to pay extra for watch notifications. I can’t find where it shows the IAP prices in this new and improved AppStore.

e: nm found the IAP. Is it a one time purchase or lame subscription?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Nov 18, 2017

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Yeah that’s true. I was most balking at having to pay extra for watch notifications. I can’t find where it shows the IAP prices in this new and improved AppStore.

e: nm found the IAP. Is it a one time purchase or lame subscription?

Yearly sub

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
If you're not super concerned about the alerts, I've found that Carrot without a sub still works perfectly fine as a complication.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Weather app chat: I’ve been using Wunderground and it works great and has a decent complication. Pretty sure the app was free; watch support definitely is.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I use the default weather app on my phone and watch. :shrug:

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

What was the consensus on the best Black Friday deal for series 2 watches?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Braincloud posted:

Weather app chat: I’ve been using Wunderground and it works great and has a decent complication. Pretty sure the app was free; watch support definitely is.

Is the performance better on the newer watches? It takes forever to launch on my S0, and the complication would often get out of sync as the day went on.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

What was the consensus on the best Black Friday deal for series 2 watches?

I don't recall any Series 2 Black Friday deals, just Series 1. I think retailers are trying to clear out Series 2 stock, actually. They've been discounted at Best Buy for a while, now. $30 off the aluminum models and $120 off the stainless steel ones.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

carry on then posted:

Is the performance better on the newer watches? It takes forever to launch on my S0, and the complication would often get out of sync as the day went on.

The S3 in general is so much faster than the S0 it isn’t funny. I went from a S0 to a S3 and apps launch nearly instantly. It’s actually useful for more than passively displaying mirrored notifications from the phone.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Xenomorph posted:

Turning off a faucet in my basement. The edge of the watch face scraped against a cement wall.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to clean it off with rubbing alcohol and a cloth. It very much seems scraped. If this is debris, I'd like to know how to clean it off.

Series 3, Space Black Stainless Steel. I had it for less than a month before scratching it.

FWIW, sapphire is MUCH MUCH harder than cement. It shouldn't have scratched it. I assume it will go away after a while. Or you have diamond cement.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

carry on then posted:

My S2 was noticeably faster than my S0 on the same WatchOS, so I assume the S3 is faster still.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Valen posted:

The S3 in general is so much faster than the S0 it isn’t funny. I went from a S0 to a S3 and apps launch nearly instantly. It’s actually useful for more than passively displaying mirrored notifications from the phone.

Wunderground is still slow as poo poo on the S3 though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

carry on then posted:

Even my replacement S1 is seems much faster than my original S0.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

ddogflex posted:

FWIW, sapphire is MUCH MUCH harder than cement. It shouldn't have scratched it. I assume it will go away after a while. Or you have diamond cement.

It will go away after a while? What does that mean?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Even my replacement S1 is seems much faster than my original S0.

The S1 still has a faster processor than the original, so you would be correct. Not a placebo effect.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Xenomorph posted:

It will go away after a while? What does that mean?

Have you seen Terminator 2?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I’m happy with my S2 cause all I want is to passively view notifications on my watch. I have yet to answer a call on the watch. Do I talk into it and I hear people on speaker? Seems weird.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Housh posted:

I’m happy with my S2 cause all I want is to passively view notifications on my watch. I have yet to answer a call on the watch. Do I talk into it and I hear people on speaker? Seems weird.

Yea, but in my experience you do have to hold the watch at least around chest level for good outgoing reception (or just talk really obnoxiously loud.) Sound quality is actually really good compared to typical cellular.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I always say something like "hold on let me go find my phone so you can hear me better" and get back "oh I wasn't having a problem" or something to that effect.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah like 95% of the time people can’t tell.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Pulled the trigger on a series 3 for my wife for Christmas. She is a hair stylist that works off her phone via texts and calls from clients all day and sometimes doesn't even have a chance to acknowledge said calls and texts. The water resistance will be helpful when she is washing hair as well.
Hoping this ends up being a worthwhile purchase for her.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Am I crazy or is there no way to have the Watch mirror my iPhone's silent switch (if on, turn on the Mute Watch setting)?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My watch has been on silent since day-one. Haptic only forever.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

eddiewalker posted:

Seriously, just like my phone. The only sensible option.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Same. How people live with their watch dinging notifications all day baffles me.

My phone has been on mute since day 1 of the iPhone 3G. Not even sure which ringer I have anymore.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have phone sounds on at home or out and about, but that's it. Never have or need Watch sounds.

Granted, I don't understand people who keep lock screen notifications for everything turned on, so maybe I'm just weird in that.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I keep audio on for my watch at the lowest setting. Helps me , when it's very quiet at least, differentiate more easily text messages vs hangouts notifications.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

My wife has a Dye Sublimation setup (small Etsy store) and I’ve just come to the realization that there are watch bands out there that are printable.

Do you guys think there would be a market in custom watch bands? They would (from what I’m seeing) be more traditional watch band styles but I could put literally any image anyone wanted on them. It’s a few hundred bucks for one hundred bands so I’m waffling a little. But if you guys think there may be a market for it I may give it a try.

Here’s what I’m talking about.

https://youtu.be/5eZkFJCq-sw

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Delzuma posted:

My wife has a Dye Sublimation setup (small Etsy store) and I’ve just come to the realization that there are watch bands out there that are printable.

Do you guys think there would be a market in custom watch bands? They would (from what I’m seeing) be more traditional watch band styles but I could put literally any image anyone wanted on them. It’s a few hundred bucks for one hundred bands so I’m waffling a little. But if you guys think there may be a market for it I may give it a try.

Here’s what I’m talking about.

https://youtu.be/5eZkFJCq-sw

Depends on the overall quality, I'd think -- of the band itself, and the print. If it looks like Babby's First Screenprinted T-shirt, then it'd probably be a hard sale. If it's a quality-looking print that you could imagine buying in a store, and lasts indefinitely, then that changes things. Hard to tell from that video. If the quality is there, I could imagine plenty of people being interested in the novelty of having whatever image/pattern they wanted printed onto a band.

What's the competition (or lack thereof) like? Are there already people doing this on Etsy? That might be a good barometer.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I imagine Casetify would be the main competition, the custom link is on the bottom (or through a phone app it looks like).

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Maybe if you make goofy poo poo hipsters and nerds like such as a strip of bacon or cats or some other dumb poo poo on it.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I upgraded phones and it seems like I'm missing half of the apps I used to have on my watch when I switch the watch to the new phone. It's been 24 hours since I upgraded.

Edit: just checked here on day three, they’re all back now. I guess it just takes a long time to restore.

Haggins fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 26, 2017

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Valen posted:

How's wunderground specifically, if any of you use it?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The wunderground watch app is slow and annoying and it makes me sad because I love wunderground.

E: I'm on a S3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Matt Zerella posted:

The wunderground watch app is slow and annoying and it makes me sad because I love wunderground.

E: I'm on a S3

Seconding this. For some reason it takes a while (relatively speaking) to update when you open the app on the watch (S3 as well).

But, haven’t found another weather app I like.