Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Not that anyone here doesn't know it, but altitude sickness is a motherfucker. 20 year old college student died on a trail that goes from 8000 to 11,200 feet.

http://www.aspentimes.com/news/mother-daughter-died-of-acute-altitude-sickness-on-conundrum-trail/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Not that anyone here doesn't know it, but altitude sickness is a motherfucker. 20 year old college student died on a trail that goes from 8000 to 11,200 feet.

http://www.aspentimes.com/news/mother-daughter-died-of-acute-altitude-sickness-on-conundrum-trail/

As someone who had a "mild" case altitude (no such thing, the doctor was insane telling me that) sickness near Mammoth Lakes, at a time when I spent quite a bit of time in the mountains, I can attest to this.

It's extremely unfurckingpleasant and can hit anyone, no matter your fitness level, or how often you go up to higher altitudes, at any time.

Pretty much the only time you should feel 100% safe from altitude sickness is if you've been living in the mountains and haven't come down and gone back up recently.

Edit

Or be a Sherpa.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Yeah, it can easily happen just from ascending too fast and not giving your body time to acclimatize. Happened to me going from 3200' to 9000' feet in a few hours.

SulfurMonoxideCute fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 30, 2017

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Sounds like HACE? But for it to manifest that quickly at that altitude is rare enough that another underlying medical condition is just as likely...

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I do have asthma and allergies. To the point where I would 100% be a dead Canadian lady if I ever attempted Everest.

At least I don't fuckin photoshop myself into Rockies scenery. I put the effort into actually going there.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

I mean the girl that died. AMS is really common for anyone going above 3k meters. But dying < 24 hours into ascent at just 10k feet where they camped is unusual even for aggressive cases of HACE/HAPE.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Picnic Princess posted:

I do have asthma and allergies. To the point where I would 100% be a dead Canadian lady if I ever attempted Everest.

At least I don't fuckin photoshop myself into Rockies scenery. I put the effort into actually going there.

Also, as much as some people treat mountains like altitude contests, there's a question of what the point of going is. If it's for a hiking trip/experiences, a 2 km high mountain is as good or better than anything higher due to reasons of altitude sickness, safety, the enjoyability of the trip itself and if you're going camping you want to stay near the forest line regardless. Most really tall mountains are in a range of tall mountains, so your view is going to be other mountains for 90% of your trip anyway.

Of course, if you're in it for the "accomplishment" of climbing the highest peak, then your purpose for going is different and you value different experiences. Also that person is an ego-stroking buffoon, but whatever. I respect people who put in the effort and the hours to learn about the unique challenges of mountains and mountain hiking, that do safe trips with proper preparedness regardless of whether they climb some arbitrary peak on the way. People who photoshop themselves onto mountains and climb with minimal equipment for that elusive social media ego-stroke I have nothing but contempt for regardless if they crest some glorified hill somewhere; they frequently get themselves and sometimes their rescuers killed. This goes triple in winter, I can't count how many morons try and climb unsafe peaks without proper skis and with no regards for avalanche warnings and get themselves buried alive or fall off a vanishing snow cliff.

E: Regarding Dead Everest Canadian Photoshop Lady, it's kind of funny now that you mention it: It was brought up in one of the previous threads I think that the "effort of going there" instead of photoshop was in fact pretty much driving right up to that lake? And she didn't even do that.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Aug 31, 2017

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Nice piece of fish posted:

E: Regarding Dead Everest Canadian Photoshop Lady, it's kind of funny now that you mention it: It was brought up in one of the previous threads I think that the "effort of going there" instead of photoshop was in fact pretty much driving right up to that lake? And she didn't even do that.

It literally is. It's just off the biggest highway in the country and the shoreline is paved and wheelchair accessible. An hour and a half from a major international airport.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Nice piece of fish posted:

Also, as much as some people treat mountains like altitude contests, there's a question of what the point of going is. If it's for a hiking trip/experiences, a 2 km high mountain is as good or better than anything higher due to reasons of altitude sickness, safety, the enjoyability of the trip itself and if you're going camping you want to stay near the forest line regardless. Most really tall mountains are in a range of tall mountains, so your view is going to be other mountains for 90% of your trip anyway.

Nah, climbing mountains (even if you're not peak bagging) that are above treeline and even camping up there is a fun and unique experience. Not one that I'd risk my health for if I was having bad reactions to altitude, but I disagree with your assertions that lower altitude mountains are as good or better, if we're taking altitude sickness out of the equation. Also plenty of trails that are easily hikeable without any special equipment go above the treeline and are immensely enjoyable and safe if you are OK with the altitude.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Levitate posted:

Nah, climbing mountains (even if you're not peak bagging) that are above treeline and even camping up there is a fun and unique experience. Not one that I'd risk my health for if I was having bad reactions to altitude, but I disagree with your assertions that lower altitude mountains are as good or better, if we're taking altitude sickness out of the equation. Also plenty of trails that are easily hikeable without any special equipment go above the treeline and are immensely enjoyable and safe if you are OK with the altitude.

It probably depends on what you like

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The high altitude hiking I did in Nepal was really loving awesome and a very different and cool environment to the lower altitude stuff. It's good to like both because they can be completely different experiences.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Last Chance posted:

It probably depends on what you like

True, I was mainly just responding to the assertion that a lower altitude mountain can provide you with everything you'd want out of higher altitude peak

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Levitate posted:

True, I was mainly just responding to the assertion that a lower altitude mountain can provide you with everything you'd want out of higher altitude peak

Unless what you want is a much higher probability of death.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ZombieLenin posted:

Unless what you want is a much higher probability of death.

This but unironically. 420 flirt with death erry day

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Epitope posted:

This but unironically. 420 flirt with death erry day

No, you are 100% correct. I believe a big part of mountaineering is about "getting off" of overcoming in the face of real risk to your life.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

There are lots and lots and lots and lots of mountains over 2km that aren't also deathzone mountaineering white whales and are safer to climb than they are to drive to

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

safer to climb than they are to drive to

God damned right. Especially the way some of the gnarly bros drive. Save your try hard for the slopes bra!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Watched a great Chinese documentary about everest guides the other day. Really refreshing to see everything from their point of view rather than it being about the client's achievements. One of the few things you heard from the clients, halfway up mountain, roughly:

Guide: You're not very fit
Client: I'm going to work out more after this

Strongly recommended.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

pointsofdata posted:

Watched a great Chinese documentary about everest guides the other day. Really refreshing to see everything from their point of view rather than it being about the client's achievements. One of the few things you heard from the clients, halfway up mountain, roughly:

Guide: You're not very fit
Client: I'm going to work out more after this

Strongly recommended.

And this documentary was?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

djssniper posted:

And this documentary was?

http://www.chinasource.org/resource-library/from-the-west-courtyard/himalaya-ladder-to-paradise

That one. The article claims it's on YouTube but the link doesn't work for me.

One of the things which really struck me was how slow most of the climb is - everyone takes ages to make each step.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

From what Adrian from EverestNoFilter said while he was in Kilimanjaro, you go at a pace where you can still breathe comfortably. At that elevation it has to be super slow because there's not enough oxygen to sustain faster movement.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

pointsofdata posted:

http://www.chinasource.org/resource-library/from-the-west-courtyard/himalaya-ladder-to-paradise

That one. The article claims it's on YouTube but the link doesn't work for me.

One of the things which really struck me was how slow most of the climb is - everyone takes ages to make each step.

Thanks, this link seems to work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SATRK4wcmCo

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I've been up to 5500m which isn't huge altitude but even then the air has 50% less oxygen than sea level, and after taking every step it felt like I'd just ran three miles. You do get into a rhythm after a while but for the whole time you're walking it is absolutely exhausting. Taking a minute break every ten minutes or so to catch your breath helps, but as soon as you start moving again it hits you instantly.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Aphex- posted:

I've been up to 5500m which isn't huge altitude but even then the air has 50% less oxygen than sea level, and after taking every step it felt like I'd just ran three miles. You do get into a rhythm after a while but for the whole time you're walking it is absolutely exhausting. Taking a minute break every ten minutes or so to catch your breath helps, but as soon as you start moving again it hits you instantly.

Sounds bad but also pretty interesting. I'd like to experience that someday.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

pointsofdata posted:

Sounds bad but also pretty interesting. I'd like to experience that someday.

Might as well hurry up. It doesn't get easier with age.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
The Bolivian national soccer team has their home games in La Paz at 3600m altitude. Although Bolivia doesn't excel at international tournaments they often win the home games, even against much stronger opponents.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Hey, this was really cool. Beautiful cinematography and an interesting viewpoint.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Is this thread still on? Alan Arnette did an interesting analysis of all the deaths on Everest since 1996.

code:
Organization

STYLE		 	DEATHS 	%
National 		35 	37%
Low-end commercial 	26 	28%
Independent 		20 	21%
High-end commercial 	13 	14%

total 	94 	
code:
North or South

SIDE 	DEATHS 	% 	DYING AFTER SUMMIT 	 %
China 	54 	57% 	23 			43%
Nepal 	40 	43% 	18 			45%
total 	94 		41 			44%

quote:

Trends

As I read the death reports, I was struck by several common themes, regardless of whom they climbed with:

– the climber ignored advice from more experienced climbers and Sherpas
– they got in trouble and their teammates failed to support them choosing to continue only to find the person in worse shape later
– they felt superior to many other climbers on the mountain according to reports
– they were trying to save money

Avoiding Death

My takeaways, which are pretty basic, from this data includes:

1. Never climb alone
2. Always use supplemental oxygen
3. Climb with a team that will not abandon you

Death in the mountains is always tragic for family, friends and teammates. My condolences to all with these deaths and may their stories serve to save future lives.

More here: http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2017/11/18/avoiding-death-on-everest/

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Keep tabs on this site http://www.himalayandatabase.com/ later this month, we'll be able to do our own stats.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Watched Meru last night packing up front vacation. Really interesting documentary of the members of the expression, a little light on climbing details. Wild setup for the main dudes family situation.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hmm, he seems to have missed the #1 way to avoid dying on Everest, tsk

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Leperflesh posted:

Hmm, he seems to have missed the #1 way to avoid dying on Everest, tsk

Staying at home watching others climb to their deaths?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Obviously it’s ride the elevator to the top.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

I found this shot from Everest while perusing the internet.

Paladine_PSoT fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 21, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I like that pic b/c those could be two 50 foot hills and a heavily trodden pass between them, or it could be two 5k foot tall mountains bordering a glacier and I'm not entirely sure which

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

The rainbow invoked my inner 12 year old, who renamed the mountain "Homolungma, the most fabulous of the himalgayas"

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007

Minrad posted:

I like that pic b/c those could be two 50 foot hills and a heavily trodden pass between them, or it could be two 5k foot tall mountains bordering a glacier and I'm not entirely sure which

Pretty sure that's the khumbu ice fall in the middle, meaning each of those little bumps is the size of a building.

Watched the Ladder to Paradise documentary, which was a bit interesting at the start, slowed in the middle, and was boring by the end. There was an awkward point mid-way through where they hear news of 15 people dying in an avalanche in Nepal and immediately start declaring how much safer the Tibetan side is. Maybe I spent too much time in the China thread back in the day, but I couldn't help assuming this could be state propaganda, especially combined with this news item: China To Invest Millions In Massive Facility. Not only that, but the statistics just posted show the north side is slightly more dangerous.

Maybe it really was a candid moment of some scared sherpas coming face-to-face with their life choices and trying to reassure themselves, but irrational confidence is the last thing you want on a mountain.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

Pretty sure that's the khumbu ice fall in the middle, meaning each of those little bumps is the size of a building.

The reviews on Google Maps are fantastic.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Looks like the full version of Death Zone: Cleaning Up Mt. Everest is on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

AceRimmer posted:

Looks like the full version of Death Zone: Cleaning Up Mt. Everest is on YouTube.
Thanks for your helpful link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ66D7G1w4s*

*This is all I could find