Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Path of Exile is the Dwarf Fortress of ARPGs. As a newbie it's a whole bunch of impenetrable bullshit that you need several guides to understand, but at some point along the line it clicks and suddenly everything else seems like a pale imitation by comparison.

It's definitely not for everyone, but it's free so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

spudsbuckley posted:

That all sounds like a terrible loving chore and a waste of time that could be used to play better games.

ARPGs in general sound like a terrible loving chore so I'm not surprised. They're very relaxing games, for the most part.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Path of exile is fantastic and amazing but yeah there is a pretty steep learning curve and the game is in general very demanding. The reason your first character will fail is because there are so many 'you should have X, Y, and Z by the time you hit level 45 or you're hosed' sort of things. So your first character will inevitably fail to be prepared for the increasing challenge.

Thats not a bag thing! Learning is good.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
On the other hand having all those choices effectively permanent is kind of silly when you can sink so much time into a character that ends up feeble.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I just like that I can be a proper Necromancer with two dozen zombies, skeletons and FLYING FLAMING SKULLS following me around murdering everything, even if it's not a viable end-game build, it's fun.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

poptart_fairy posted:

World War 2 media has been ripping itself off for aeons.

Or at least 72 years.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Somfin posted:

Two pieces of advice:

1. Your first character will kinda suck. They've really improved the tutorial, but there's no getting around the fact that your first character will just sorta be okay. Find something that seems fun and play around with things, with the intention of collecting currencies and then abandoning the poor bastard to its fate and trying again, properly, with a different character later.

2. There's an entirely different game hiding at about level 80 or so, once you download a good custom item filter and get into the rhythm of how the game flows. It's hard to explain properly, but there's a paradigm shift in how you approach play sessions; you go from playing from map to map, to making progress on a much larger scale. You probably shouldn't try to get to that poo poo on your first character and possibly not even on your second.

Beaten, but a friend of mine described it to me very similarly which is uncanny.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

poptart_fairy posted:

On the other hand having all those choices effectively permanent is kind of silly when you can sink so much time into a character that ends up feeble.
Maybe, but the alternative is a game where your choices during leveling don't matter, because once you hit endgame you can undo literally everything and turn into a completely different character.

There's pros and cons for both approaches. Personally, I like the idea of having to stick with a build and having it slowly come together over time. Some people want to be able to completely respec whenever, and that's cool too. I wouldn't say either is the definitive way of doing things.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I quit Path of Exile halfway through act 3 when I got tired of spamming my 1-2 strongest abilities to kill everything that came at me for hours

I'll take others' word that it gets good but man do I not have the time to wait for that to happen

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Maybe, but the alternative is a game where your choices during leveling don't matter, because once you hit endgame you can undo literally everything and turn into a completely different character.

There's pros and cons for both approaches. Personally, I like the idea of having to stick with a build and having it slowly come together over time. Some people want to be able to completely respec whenever, and that's cool too. I wouldn't say either is the definitive way of doing things.

A character becoming nonviable because of choices that you did or did not make due to not having any way of knowing better is not good game design. "Must Have" options should never be options in the first place.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Taerkar posted:

A character becoming nonviable because of choices that you did or did not make due to not having any way of knowing better is not good game design. "Must Have" options should never be options in the first place.

It's not exactly a 'must have' option. it's more simple things like 'defenses are really important and glass cannon builds don't work' which is what kills 99% of characters. Because picking +damage% is more fun than +hp% but if you don't have enough hp and resists by the time the game gets hard you're a dead man.

It's not like there are only a few viable builds, theres more build variety in PoE than any other ARPG I've played by orders of magnitude, but they all hit a few key points because the game is harder at higher difficulty levels than people expect.

Agent355 has a new favorite as of 22:29 on Nov 20, 2017

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Agent355 posted:

It's not exactly a 'must have' option. it's more simple things like 'defenses are really important and glass cannon builds don't work' which is what kills 99% of characters. Because picking +damage% is more fun than +hp% but if you don't have enough hp and resists by the time the game gets hard you're a dead man.

It's not like there are only a few viable builds, theres more build variety in PoE than any other ARPG I've played by orders of magnitude, but they all hit a few key points because the game is harder at higher difficulty levels than people expect.

So picking the options that seem fun leads to non-viable characters? Man, this game is sounding better by the minute.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Triarii posted:

So picking the options that seem fun leads to non-viable characters? Man, this game is sounding better by the minute.

You don't understand, there are literally endless boring tank builds to choose from! Each of them "unique" but all of them effectively identical.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
Lol if you think any build in PoE is a tank

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost
The build that focuses on hitting enemies with a massive axe six times every four frames, the build that focuses on summoning dozens of skulls that resurrect things that they kill as allies, and the build that focuses on damaging both nearby enemies and the character with massive unblockable fire damage, all benefit from putting lots of points into defence so that they don't die fast. Therefore game bad.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Okay, you like the game, we get it. But, you're not doing a great job convincing anyone to play it; you've made it sound like a boring slog with varying builds of similarity.

Maybe next time, don't be such a dick about it.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Leavemywife posted:

Okay, you like the game, we get it. But, you're not doing a great job convincing anyone to play it; you've made it sound like a boring slog with varying builds of similarity.

Maybe next time, don't be such a dick about it.

Just because I'm morbidly curious, what's a game you would say has good build variety?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Taerkar posted:

Oh no, you only have 49% nature resistance, not 50%. Well, the entire second arc is literally unplayable because everything does nature damage. Have fun restarting the game, again.

What's that, put too many points in nature resistance this time and now you can't out DPS the next boss before his unavoidable damage AOE kills you, and getting into the safety bubble puts you into melee range where he also instantly kills you? Too bad, try again next time.

Finally got all those pesky resistances down? I sure hope you planned it right and now have enough damage to actually kill anything!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Build variety sounds great but not if I have build a new character every time I want to try a new one out.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Somfin posted:

Just because I'm morbidly curious, what's a game you would say has good build variety?

There was a lot you could do in Diablo 2, across all the classes, there were lots of builds. A fair few could take you through Nightmare, but getting into Hell trimmed it down.

Borderlands seemed easy enough to do kind of whatever before you felt any major pressure. As did Diablo 3. Dragon's Dogma, too, I think. Maybe the Mass Effect games, too, at least the first one.

Fallout let you go crazy with how you wanted to build yourself. I've heard there's a lot to FF14, too, but I never played it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
ARPGs as a genre are pretty notoriously poor at build variety when you talk about NG+ equivalents.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Fallout New Vegas was especially good. Levelling up gives you points that you use to make your skills better, the perk system lets you hone your playstyle further if you like, and the Trait system allows you to put a little spin on the whole process. The starter town, Goodsprings, gives you everything you need to test out your playstyle to see if you like it or not before you’re asked to lock it in.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Leavemywife posted:

There was a lot you could do in Diablo 2, across all the classes, there were lots of builds. A fair few could take you through Nightmare, but getting into Hell trimmed it down.

Borderlands seemed easy enough to do kind of whatever before you felt any major pressure. As did Diablo 3. Dragon's Dogma, too, I think. Maybe the Mass Effect games, too, at least the first one.

Fallout let you go crazy with how you wanted to build yourself. I've heard there's a lot to FF14, too, but I never played it.

As someone stupid enough to play MMOs, nah, FF14 doesn't have any concept of build like that. Each role has various extra abilities to pick 5 from, but you can and are expected to swap them whenever you're out of combat, as needed for whatever fight you're doing. The original version had something like that, but the original version is taboo, verboten, and extremely bad.

Ariong posted:

Fallout New Vegas was especially good

made this post more efficient

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Leavemywife posted:

Honestly, thats what POE does too. You can pretty much do anything you want from level 1-30, but getting past that requires a more optimized build, and then you hit another breakpoint at 50 where you need to be yet more optimized to get past that point, etc.

Its the same in every ARPG - as the game gets harder, your build needs to be more optimized. The difference between POE and something like D3 is D3 has four builds per class that can do the endgame and POE has hundreds.

The downside to POE is that you can't respec easily your passive tree, so if you get to level 30 and have massively hosed up your build then you have to restart. If you just chose the wrong skills, or the wrong gear, you can fix that easily. The tree is the only part you can't easily respec.

POE is the game for you if "learning the systems" and "arguing about builds" is just as much fun as actually playing the thing.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Lechtansi posted:

The difference between POE and something like D3 is D3 has four builds per class that can do the endgame and POE has hundreds.

lmao I loving doubt it

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

In either case, I've learned that Path of Exile doesn't sound like something I'd have fun with.

In other news, I'm playing Resident Evil 3 again, and I'll be goddamned if it isn't satisfying to blow a group of zombies up with a red barrel.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

RyokoTK posted:

lmao I loving doubt it

I mean, if you wanna fight this fight i'm not gonna stop you but there are literally 100 different skills (out of 190 possible skills), each with at least 2-3 viable builds (some with upwards of 10), currently capable of beating the end game boss. Lack of build diversity is definitely not a criticism thats super valid about this game.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

There's a few rules that you need to have a successful build, some idea of where your defenses are coming from (energy shield, evasion, armor), a certain HP threashold that will let you live through things you can't avoid, and then you focus your damage on whatever you prefer to use. There are literally hundreds of builds, with no exaggeration, and most of them are not tank builds beyond hitting the base level of tankiness nessecary for survival. It's not exactly a super punishing obtuse requirement, it's just that your average player who knows nothing about the game WILL mess up the first time because they don't ramp their defenses up as the enemies ramp up.

It's not rocket science.

Now we could argue until we're blue in the face about the value of respecs but my opinion is that they have downsides and shouldn't be considered auto-include because there is something to be said for commitment to a build and the exploration that comes with leveling up and expanding on a single spec instead of jumping around too frequently.

PoE is real drat good but it's not for everybody, and thats okay.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lechtansi posted:

I mean, if you wanna fight this fight i'm not gonna stop you but there are literally 100 different skills (out of 190 possible skills), each with at least 2-3 viable builds (some with upwards of 10), currently capable of beating the end game boss. Lack of build diversity is definitely not a criticism thats super valid about this game.

And how many are actually unique and how many are just variations of one another but with different elemental affinity or some other minor tweaks swapped in?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Pretty unique actually. Like you're free to dislike PoE but disliking it because there aren't enough builds or youb eleive the builds are too similar is actually pretty indicative that you have no idea about the game at all.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

And how many are actually unique and how many are just variations of one another but with different elemental affinity or some other minor tweaks swapped in?

How different do they need to be for them to be "unique" to you? They're all skills used by clicking on the bad guy, same as the skills in Diablo 2 or Diablo 3 or Grim Dawn or Torchlight 2, or the guns in Borderlands or Payday 2 or Fallout New Vegas.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Agent355 posted:

Pretty unique actually. Like you're free to dislike PoE but disliking it because there aren't enough builds or youb eleive the builds are too similar is actually pretty indicative that you have no idea about the game at all.

PoE is like the best game in its genre. It doesn't hold your hand and its not simple or easy, but it is free. Of course its being poo poo on by people who never played it, in the same thread that just spent like ten pages gushing about an anime.

Once upon a time, I used to come in here to find new games to play but maybe we should all just shut the gently caress up and wait for bioenchanted to post about some antiquated oddity instead.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Is PoE at least easy to start playing? If it's free, I'm more willing to try it, but I'm not keen on the idea of being slaughtered early on. And is it a permadeath sort of game? Because permadeath suuuuucks.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Somfin posted:

How different do they need to be for them to be "unique" to you? They're all skills used by clicking on the bad guy, same as the skills in Diablo 2 or Diablo 3 or Grim Dawn or Torchlight 2, or the guns in Borderlands or Payday 2 or Fallout New Vegas.

None of those have many unique builds either, so that's not really a great argument.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Most of those pages were people making GBS threads on the anime game too, actually

My current favorite little thing in games is in the new Pokemon I can take a picture with my pokemon when it evolves, it's dumb and cute and I'm all about it :3:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

does PoE still have genderlocked classes

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Leavemywife posted:

Is PoE at least easy to start playing? If it's free, I'm more willing to try it, but I'm not keen on the idea of being slaughtered early on. And is it a permadeath sort of game? Because permadeath suuuuucks.

Yes, it's free and very easy to pick up and play through your first playthrough. It only becomes garbage on the harder difficulties. The actual story and initial playthrough are pretty cool and fun.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

It's easy (and free), and if you don't want to get hosed by making a bad character you can pretty easily just follow somebody else's build. There is a hardcore mode but it suuuuuucks.

I love PoE but I long ago stopped trying to make my own characters and just started doing tiny variations on whatever build looked interesting.

If you want to make your own you can totally do that, just focus on one main attack sort of button to really hone in on, grab enough hp% nodes and some defensive options and you'll be good enough to make it most of the way.

It's really only ultra glass cannons that never took any defenses ever that fail to complete the main game, though maps and the last couple of acts are another story.

Nuebot posted:

Yes, it's free and very easy to pick up and play through your first playthrough. It only becomes garbage on the harder difficulties. The actual story and initial playthrough are pretty cool and fun.

No difficulties anymore! Just 10 acts that you play through once. It's suuuuuper cool.

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

does PoE still have genderlocked classes

Yea, i wouldn't expect that to change ever.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Agent355 posted:

Yea, i wouldn't expect that to change ever.

great, so i can continue ignoring it, thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Seems an odd hill to die on but you do you.