Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Walked posted:

Yeah. I picked up a 480gb 900p

Drive is stellar. I do a lot of VMs and development work and it is goddamn great.

Raw read-only/write-only throughput is on par with NVMe but in mixed workloads it shines

I am curious, do you use it for VM image storage? I run some lab servers with some minor vms (ubuntu/win server 2016) for misc tasks (using hyper-v) and am curious if staging the images on that would really speed it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

priznat posted:

I am curious, do you use it for VM image storage? I run some lab servers with some minor vms (ubuntu/win server 2016) for misc tasks (using hyper-v) and am curious if staging the images on that would really speed it up.

I do run a number of VMware Workstation VMs off it (some running nearly fulltime; others periodically). They are lightning fast.

That said; if it weren't my primary desktop (I have a few lab servers as well), I'd have a hard time advocating for it as a worthwhile expense. I was only able to justify it between selling off the Star Citizen code on eBay + writing off the card as a business expense.

It's slick as poo poo; but its in direct conflict with the 80/20 rule and something I'd be somewhat hesitant to recommend unless you make money on the computer, have a direct need for this sort of performance, and/or convince someone else to cover the cost.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I have a 900p.

I will not be buying more. There is no benefit over a DC P4500 (or higher series, per your estimated drive writes per day) except on artificially crafted benchmarks with no queue depth. It's not better for my oracle dbs, not better for my vdi environment, not better for even a client hpc environment.

Simply by the nature of being a storage drop in replacement, optane will always be crippled. Imo, we have effectively licked classical local block storage by placing it on the pcie bus and on the infinitely-scalable nvme protocol (and making it securely available by direct network fabric access).

It's the 2H 2018 DIMM 3DXpoint that's going to change your world.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 15, 2017

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Can the 900p run in DMI mode like NVRAM cards can? The x8 ones running in that mode can get something like 10million IOPS, it’s crazy. They have a supercap though for data backup to flash and the cards top out at like 16GB usually.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Potato Salad posted:

I have a 900p.

I will not be buying more. There is no benefit over a DC P4500 (or higher series, per your estimated drive writes per day) except on artificially crafted benchmarks with no queue depth. It's not better for my oracle dbs, not better for my vdi environment, not better for even a client hpc environment.

Simply by the nature of being a storage drop in replacement, optane will always be crippled. Imo, we have effectively licked classical local block storage by placing it on the pcie bus and on the infinitely-scalable nvme protocol (and making it securely available by direct network fabric access).

Not everyone benefits from it, especially from a cost/performance standpoint. But there are very real benefits to some of the major enterprise/cloud/whatever players so I wouldn't say it's useless just because it's a drop in storage replacement.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It is interesting how granular the storage space is getting with every step of the price/performance/capacity chart getting filled.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My son has an MSI Z270 motherboard (apologies in advance for red-on-black website). Am I right in thinking I can just get a Samsung 850 EVO and slap it in? I'm not interested in paying the price premium for NVMe. He's a gamer, and I'll be checking capacity with him.

E: And I'm planning on checking for Black Friday sales just in case.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 15, 2017

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My son has an MSI Z270 motherboard (apologies in advance for red-on-black website). Am I right in thinking I can just get a Samsung 850 EVO and slap it in? I'm not interested in paying the price premium for NVMe. He's a gamer, and I'll be checking capacity with him.

Are you looking at the SATA3 or M.2 variants?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

WhyteRyce posted:

Not everyone benefits from it, especially from a cost/performance standpoint. But there are very real benefits to some of the major enterprise/cloud/whatever players so I wouldn't say it's useless just because it's a drop in storage replacement.

I mean, my hpc is pretty special snowflake rdma and IB poo poo, and I can test just about any kind of workload scientifically imaginable on there

I'm sure cloudflare might have use for optane over just more ram, I guess? Maybe very specific cdn service? I would have told you a week ago that optane has very niche but strong use cases, but since testing it against second gen intel nvme or just looking at what more ram for slightly more cost can do over optane, I'm not seeing it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Now, as I think of just what kind of models can run on a single node of "I have eighty x86 cores, six gpus, and eighty terabytes of almost-RAM"

:gizz:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Skandranon posted:

Are you looking at the SATA3 or M.2 variants?

I have read the OP, but I don't understand what the tradeoffs between the two are. If the drive has an M.2 slot but not NVMe, is there any point in paying the extra for the M.2 version?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you have no physical space for a SATA drive. There's almost no reason to get a non NVME drive in M2 form because they're still more expensive than normal SATA ones.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

craig588 posted:

If you have no physical space for a SATA drive. There's almost no reason to get a non NVME drive in M2 form because they're still more expensive than normal SATA ones.

The difference in price is oft times negligible, and even in cases where you *do* have enough space for a SATA drive, it eliminates two extra leads in your case.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There are rarely ever any BF sales on M.2 SATA drives, usually just the 2.5" ones. But if you do snag one, be sure to research which slot on your son's motherboard is the twinned slot (SATA/NVMe-linked) and which SATA port plugging that drive in will disable.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

Can the 900p run in DMI mode like NVRAM cards can? The x8 ones running in that mode can get something like 10million IOPS, it’s crazy. They have a supercap though for data backup to flash and the cards top out at like 16GB usually.

DMI is slower than directly connected to the CPU, so just use the upper 16x slot generally. The bottom 16x slot is usually DMI connected.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

m.2 sata may seem like a weird thing for a person building a computer: "Why pay more for the same thing, just saving a cable?"

Shift perspective to laptop manufacturers. The driver behind m.2 SATA has been space savings in the ultralight laptops that have been going up in power but coming down in price steadily this decade. M.2 SATA is a cheaper alternative to space savings without paying the premium of 2016 (and to an extent 2017) nvme pricing.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Potato Salad posted:

I mean, my hpc is pretty special snowflake rdma and IB poo poo, and I can test just about any kind of workload scientifically imaginable on there

I'm sure cloudflare might have use for optane over just more ram, I guess? Maybe very specific cdn service? I would have told you a week ago that optane has very niche but strong use cases, but since testing it against second gen intel nvme or just looking at what more ram for slightly more cost can do over optane, I'm not seeing it.

Your piddly little cute workloads are nothing compared to actual real performance crushing use cases
https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/7d8vev/intel_optane_900p_u2_280gb_benchmarked_on_linux/

quote:

I have one and just seeing 20 chrome tabs open in nearly an instant is glorious.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I posted in the laptop thread but I figured I'd post this SSD related question in this thread too.

I want to install a second SSD into my laptop (ThinkPad W541). This laptop didn't ship with a CD/DVD drive, so the space where that would be is just empty, and I know lots of people buy optical bay caddies to do this but I was wondering if I could just skip that altogether and just use some cables and Velcro to secure the SSD in place.

This is what the back end of a caddy that is advertised to fit my laptop looks like:

It looks like the left bit has 6 pins and the right bit has 7 pins. On my SSD (EVO 850) I count 7 + 15 pins. Looking at Wikipedia the 7 pin bits should be the data connector and the 6/15 bit part is for power. Would one of these Slimline 22 pin female to 13 pin male cables work then? I just don't see a point in buying a caddy if it's only function is to hold the SSD in place.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 16, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You could velcro it in there, but those caddies are like $5 I'd just buy one.

Buy why not just buy an M.2 SSD in the 2242 (42mm) size?

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 16, 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Bob Morales posted:

You could velcro it in there, but those caddies are like $5 I'd just buy one.

Buy why not just buy an M.2 SSD in the 2242 (42mm) size?

This laptop has one M.2 slot but it's used by the wifi card.

Caddys are $35+ from what I'm seeing and also I could probably pick up the cables at a local store today instead of waiting for shipping.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

I posted in the laptop thread but I figured I'd post this SSD related question in this thread too.

I want to install a second SSD into my laptop (ThinkPad W541). This laptop didn't ship with a CD/DVD drive, so the space where that would be is just empty, and I know lots of people buy optical bay caddies to do this but I was wondering if I could just skip that altogether and just use some cables and Velcro to secure the SSD in place.

This is what the back end of a caddy that is advertised to fit my laptop looks like:

It looks like the left bit has 6 pins and the right bit has 7 pins. On my SSD (EVO 850) I count 7 + 15 pins. Looking at Wikipedia the 7 pin bits should be the data connector and the 6/15 bit part is for power. Would one of these Slimline 22 pin female to 13 pin male cables work then? I just don't see a point in buying a caddy if it's only function is to hold the SSD in place.
those caddies usually have a full SATA 7+15 connector set on the inside (where you mount the 2.5" drive) converted from the 7+6. if they don't have one you got ripped off

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Caddys are $35+ from what I'm seeing and also I could probably pick up the cables at a local store today instead of waiting for shipping.

This one is $14 on Amazon with Prime shipping.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boris Galerkin posted:

Wifi dongle maybe?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Anyone see any NVME deals coming up for Black Friday? I haven't seen a MicroCenter ad yet, but I'm beginning to think that's my only hope.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Boris Galerkin posted:

Have you given any thought at all to how much it is going to suck to try to plug one of those cables into the connector all the way at the back of an ODD bay that you cannot conceivably get your fingers inside or see very well into? Or what happens if the cable is then too short to stick out the bay, so now you have to get the SSD onto the other end somehow? And then once everything's connected you have to pack the cable into the bay and shove the SSD in while hoping that you don't manage to lever the bay connector out of its socket. And then you have to worry about it working itself out over time, because the bay connectors are designed to rely on a mechanical latch or screw on the laptop to hold a ODD/caddy in, so they probably don't have detents to really hold the cable in.

It may seem like a proper caddy does very little extra over a cable, but actually it does a whole lot and you will thank yourself for doing this job the right way.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Potato Salad posted:

I have a 900p.

Sounds like your use case calls for SAMSUNG Z-NAND

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-z-nand-sz985-intel-optane,35956.html

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:ssh: samsung is a member of the edsff group

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Potato Salad posted:

:ssh: samsung is a member of the edsff group
i love the fact that ssds come in form factors that are as big as synthesizer keyboards now

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

VulgarandStupid posted:

Anyone see any NVME deals coming up for Black Friday? I haven't seen a MicroCenter ad yet, but I'm beginning to think that's my only hope.

I'd also be happy to hear about deals on regular old 2.5'" units--my server needs a new boot drive.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Here's what I got in an email from Micro Center..

The original ad said the prices were only good to 11/19, but the ad on the website says the prices are now good until 11/23.

The parts in the ad that are on sale say on the website that you have to check at the store for the price, but I'm reasonably sure they're what's in the ad out of the email.

The 960 500 GB and the 850 EVO 500 GB are definitely on sale.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Binary Badger posted:

Here's what I got in an email from Micro Center..

The original ad said the prices were only good to 11/19, but the ad on the website says the prices are now good until 11/23.

The parts in the ad that are on sale say on the website that you have to check at the store for the price, but I'm reasonably sure they're what's in the ad out of the email.

The 960 500 GB and the 850 EVO 500 GB are definitely on sale.

Thanks! Good timing too, I'll be over in Microcenter's part of town today.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Amazon has the MX300 in 2.5" 1TB for $235; tough to really say that an 850 is worth an extra $60 over that assuming you were looking at that capacity

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I'm thinking of re-purposing a M.2 SSD into a desktop without an M.2 slot. I see adapters to turn M.2 into both SATA and PCIE. Any advantages to one or the other. I'm assuming this is an active piece, rather than a passive metal passthrough. Should I be concerned about performance?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm thinking of re-purposing a M.2 SSD into a desktop without an M.2 slot. I see adapters to turn M.2 into both SATA and PCIE. Any advantages to one or the other. I'm assuming this is an active piece, rather than a passive metal passthrough. Should I be concerned about performance?

Depends on the drive. M.2 isn't magic, it basically either connects to a SATA bus or a PCI-E bus, often both, but the drive is going to be built to only talk to one. Find that out and then get that adapter.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Which one you get depends on if your m.2 drive is pcie or sata really.

Usually they are fully passive adapters going from m.2 to pcie aic (add in card) or m.2 to sata/minisas hd connectors.

If you specify the drive and what you want to plug it into that’d help people give you a shopping list!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

If your drive has two notches you need a SATA adapter, one notch you need a PCIe adapter.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

repiv posted:

If your drive has two notches you need a SATA adapter, one notch you need a PCIe adapter.

There are some exceptions like x2 pcie only drives (the optane drives for example) have the two notches.

It’s a bit of a dog’s breakfast and needlessly confusing imo.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Welp, you're right. That's stupid.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

repiv posted:

Welp, you're right. That's stupid.

:agreed:

At least AHCI over PCIe is dead because that just added yet another confusion to the mix.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The industry has moved to using the same connector for different protocols/buses/whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
There are an amazing number of keying and pin assignment options for M.2. What’s posted above barely scratches the surface.