Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Another woman has come forward with allegations against Franken.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/woman-says-al-franken-inappropriately-touched-her-in-2010/ar-BBFlVOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

gently caress off Morrissey

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm not sure about how this one reads.

"I took a picture with him, he got too close and reached around and grabbed my rear end instead of my hip or side, I posted the pic and my godly religious family said it wasn't the required space between a man and a woman, meanwhile, I met a Republican senator right afterwards who asked my politely to even touch and let's hear a statement about how great he is, from him now" doesn't read well, no matter what happened.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Darko posted:

"I took a picture with him, he got too close and reached around and grabbed my rear end instead of my hip or side, I posted the pic and my godly religious family said it wasn't the required space between a man and a woman, meanwhile, I met a Republican senator right afterwards who asked my politely to even touch and let's hear a statement about how great he is, from him now" doesn't read well, no matter what happened.

Yeah... I don't know about this. It sounds like it could have been a legitimate misunderstanding. Franken would have to be just... incredibly stupid to do that, at a public event, while in office? And instead of saying something, with her husband right there, she just smiles? Eh... my brain hurts.

precision fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 20, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Yeah... I don't know about this. It sounds like it could have been a legitimate misunderstanding. Franken would have to be just... incredibly stupid to do that, at a public event, while in office? And instead of saying something, with her husband right there, she just smiles? Eh... my brain hurts.

The fact that he's a Senator doing it in the middle of a public event makes it even less likely for her to say something, or at least it could depending on the person. Most people aren't looking to make a huge awkward scene when they show up to take a picture with a Senator and she probably just tried her best to pretend it didn't happen.

This is the same poo poo people have said about Moore. "How dumb would an assistant D.A. have to be to seduce a 14 year old girl right there in the court house! How dumb would Moore have to be to sign the yearbook of someone that he assaulted? Why haven't these women come forward in 30+ years?"

These guys think they are invincible and rubbing it in the faces of women as they do it is part of the power play that they're getting off on. Much like Trump said, "they just let you do it". The fact that women are often too stunned and embarrassed to say anything is part of the fun for them, it's a demonstration of their power.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

precision posted:

And instead of saying something, with her husband right there, she just smiles?

you know what this sounds like right

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Darko posted:

Yeah this one's loving lame and barely newsworthy. It reads like someone biting off a little more than they can chew attention-wise.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inve...m=.a581f0754e2f

Add Charlie Rose to the growing shitpile.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Charlie Rose!? What the gently caress.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

https://twitter.com/GlynnMacN/status/932733897015783424

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The world is gross as gently caress and there is no hope.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Big sisters do stupid poo poo. When my sister was 12 or 13 and I was 5 as a joke her and her friends would strip me naked and throw me out of the back door, then lock all the doors to the house except the front door so I had to run around to the front naked.

And you know what, that poo poo is hilarious, I gotta give it to her.

She specifically admits to acting like a sexual predator to get her sister to do whatever she wanted in her own book as well as masturbating in the bed next to her. Older siblings do some weird poo poo, but I think bribing your sibling for romantic/sexual affection and touching yourself next to them is on a whole different scale.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I was about to reply with about the same thing. Big sisters definitely do weird poo poo, but it crosses past weird imo when you're bribing your 7yr younger sister to lay on top of you or kiss you, then later writing about it with the attitude of 'I did everything a child predator would do to groom a kid, lol isn't that funny??'.

Like my big sister humiliated me in weird sister ways but never bribed me to make out with her.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

precision posted:

Yeah, I'm calling bullshit on this one. The worst thing about this is that it's meant to stir up doubt in what victims say, which is beyond evil.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

precision posted:

Yeah... I don't know about this. It sounds like it could have been a legitimate misunderstanding. Franken would have to be just... incredibly stupid to do that, at a public event, while in office?

You ever hear of a man named Bill Clinton?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nuebot posted:

She specifically admits to acting like a sexual predator to get her sister to do whatever she wanted in her own book as well as masturbating in the bed next to her. Older siblings do some weird poo poo, but I think bribing your sibling for romantic/sexual affection and touching yourself next to them is on a whole different scale.

Yeah that's pretty hosed.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Cross-posting from the Comic Strip Megathread:
And a recent-ish picture of the cartoonist in question:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Darthemed posted:

Cross-posting from the Comic Strip Megathread:

LvK posted:

so, ahh, this came up on my Twitter feed and I thought of this thread (I fell behind two years ago and just haven't been in them ever since, whoops)

Y'know our "pal" Guy Gilchrist? He's, uh... he's been up to some stuff, and he sounds like a real piece of poo poo, alright!

https://twitter.com/MuppetFeminist/status/931591227660783616
That guy looks like the creepy dude from the Too Many Cooks video.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well now this uh... this certainly complicates things a bit:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/36-former-women-staffers-at-snl-release-statement-in-support-of-sen-al-franken/ar-BBFrPbU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

It really doesn't complicate things at all. Those women have the right to speak out in defense of Franken if they choose to but this isn't some mathematical formula where if X amount of women say that Franken never harassed/assaulted them then that means the accusations aren't true. Nobody is arguing that he compulsively went around grabbing the rear end of every woman he ever encountered.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, it's really just friends of his saying he's been nice to them and they support him. Doesn't really mean much.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I... didn't say that it meant that. I meant it complicates the discussion, a lot more than, say, Lena Dunham saying one dumb thing on Twitter.

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, it's really just friends of his saying he's been nice to them and they support him. Doesn't really mean much.

I didn't say that it meant he didn't do anything or whatever, but having so many women formally put out a statement like that is going to complicate the discussion.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

precision posted:

I didn't say that it meant he didn't do anything or whatever, but having so many women formally put out a statement like that is going to complicate the discussion.

Yeah, I didn't think you were saying he didn't do anything. I just doubt it'll complicate the discussion much.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
A thinking person sees a list like that(not unlike the women who have come out to defend Roy Moore) and understands that just because Franken had good relationships with them it doesn't mean these accusers are lying. I really don't see it having much effect, just as the Roy Moore defenders haven't. People are going to now see Franken as a slimy sexual harasser(at best), and Moore as a child predator, these lists don't change that. If some right wing wackos go to the polls and vote for Moore anyway it's not because of some random list of women/pastors who say what a great guy he is. They'll vote for him because they'd rather die than let a Democrat win, and no other reason.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Oliver Stone sexually humiliating Melissa Gilbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59YYFBO82Pw

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, I didn't think you were saying he didn't do anything. I just doubt it'll complicate the discussion much.

I guess I'm just fearing that it'll stir up a lot of right-wing "see, the liberals are circling the wagons" talk.

The only name on the list I recognized is Jane Curtin.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

To me, that SNL statement is just liberals standing up for one of their own and in the process undermining the cause. It's Bill Clinton again.

Also there's something remarkably tone-deaf about signing off a letter about sexual harassment with a holiday greeting.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

A thinking person sees a list like that(not unlike the women who have come out to defend Roy Moore) and understands that just because Franken had good relationships with them it doesn't mean these accusers are lying.
I'm not being facetious, but you're starting off on the wrong premise there. This entire issue isn't remotely about what a thinking person understands.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I wouldn't compare Franken to Clinton at this point. The political timing, level of accusations, and political affiliation of the accusers apply much more of a wait and see/take no stance either way until we know more to him as compared to Clinton, who had much more evidence against him at the time, including a later admitted to actual assault (by reason of his position of power over the person he had sex with). This is the predicted problematic point of these accusations where the same kind of "counter-story with media giving the same weight to both sides, no matter the degree" stuff that happened during the election would happen here.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vegetable posted:

I'm not being facetious, but you're starting off on the wrong premise there. This entire issue isn't remotely about what a thinking person understands.

I know it's easy to be pessimistic in 2017, and believe me I am a lot of the time. But I really do believe that the average person is intelligent enough to understand the (non)importance of lists like that. Whether they'll come out and say that when they're arguing with someone on the other side is a different matter. So in that sense I guess I can see how it complicates the issue, people spend so much time arguing past each other these days without ever actually getting to the real meat of the issue(usually because they don't want to).

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

John Lasseter of Pixar the latest to be accused:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/john-lasseters-pattern-alleged-misconduct-detailed-by-disney-pixar-insiders-1059594

quote:

Sources say some women at Pixar knew to turn their heads quickly when encountering him to avoid his kisses. Some used a move they called “the Lasseter” to prevent their boss from putting his hands on their legs. A longtime insider says he saw a woman seated next to Lasseter in a meeting that occurred more than 15 years ago.

“She was bent over and [had her arm] across her thigh,” he says. “The best I can describe it is as a defensive posture ... John had his hand on her knee, though, moving around.” After that encounter, this person asked the woman about what he had seen. “She said it was unfortunate for her to wear a skirt that day and if she didn’t have her hand on her own right leg, his hand would have travelled.”

The same source said he once noticed an oddly cropped photo of Lasseter standing between two women at a company function. When he mentioned that to a colleague, he was told, “We had to crop it. Do you know where his hands were?”

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

These stories are so fuckin' creepy and gross.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's one thing that older people need to really absorb and understand about how the culture has changed. Older man being "handsy" and touching legs or other even more inappropriate places during photos or hugs was considered normal operating procedure for a long time but finally we're saying you need to cut that poo poo out. I'm sure Lasseter didn't think of himself as guilty of sexual assault but guess what buddy, you were. Younger guys I hope already understand this.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

That's one thing that older people need to really absorb and understand about how the culture has changed. Older man being "handsy" and touching legs or other even more inappropriate places during photos or hugs was considered normal operating procedure for a long time but finally we're saying you need to cut that poo poo out. I'm sure Lasseter didn't think of himself as guilty of sexual assault but guess what buddy, you were. Younger guys I hope already understand this.

I am pretty sure he knew exactly what he was doing. This isn't poo poo that was unknown 30 years ago.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

I am pretty sure he knew exactly what he was doing. This isn't poo poo that was unknown 30 years ago.

He knew what he was doing but I doubt it ever crossed his mind that it would ever be a problem, because up to now our culture as more or less accepted it. Trump was 100% right, if you have enough money and power you could grope anyone you wanted to and there would never be any consequences. Now there are consequences, and if knowing that prevents some creeps from acting out their gross fantasies then so be it. Would be better if they chose self-awareness, positive change, and personal growth, but that's probably asking too much from old rich white men.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

He knew what he was doing but I doubt it ever crossed his mind that it would ever be a problem, because up to now our culture as more or less accepted it. Trump was 100% right, if you have enough money and power you could grope anyone you wanted to and there would never be any consequences. Now there are consequences, and if knowing that prevents some creeps from acting out their gross fantasies then so be it. Would be better if they chose self-awareness, positive change, and personal growth, but that's probably asking too much from old rich white men.

Oh, I misunderstood you, I thought you were saying "He didn't realize he was doing anything wrong." We're on the same page.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, I misunderstood you, I thought you were saying "He didn't realize he was doing anything wrong." We're on the same page.

Sexual assault and rape are very strong words, and I think older generations were parsing all of these creepy behaviors a lot more than we do as a way to be able to ignore the handsyness of some men. So someone like Lasseter I'm sure knew deep down that what he was doing was wrong, but at the same time I doubt he thinks of himself as a "sexual predator" or one of those more intense labels that he 100% deserves.

I'm also seeing people even today make comments about how "well if it's wrong now for a boss to try to date an employee then we've really gone off the deep end!"

No fuckhead, actually we really need men to stop trying to pursue romantic relationships with their own employees. It's bad.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Agreed, and that's what this memo re firing Charlie Rose from CBS says:

"What once may have been accepted should never have been acceptable."

https://twitter.com/farhip/status/933024520486703104

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Basebf555 posted:

actually we really need men and women to stop trying to pursue romantic relationships with their own employees. It's bad.

ftfy

I think dating your employee is fine given the right circumstances. When someone is just abusing power, though, that's hosed and needs to stop. Besides dating your boss sounds like it would be the worst. You'd never get away from work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
When women in positions of power sexually harassing men in the workplace is a major widespread problem then we can focus on that. Right now I'm ok with saying that men are the primary issue here.