Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be your champions come Sunday Morning?
This poll is closed.
Bisping/Garbrandt/Jdrzejczyk 51 29.82%
Bisping/Garbrandt/Namajunas 8 4.68%
Bisping/Dillishaw/Jdrzejczyk 16 9.36%
Bisping/Dillishaw/Namajunas 3 1.75%
St. Pierre/Dillishaw/Namajunas 12 7.02%
St. Pierre/Garbrandt/Jdrzejczyk 62 36.26%
St. Pierre/Garbrandt/Namajunas 6 3.51%
St. Pierre/Dillishaw/Jdrzejczyk 13 7.60%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Triticum Guzzler posted:

To me, if you have swastikas tattooed on your knees then sherdog Nazi rankings are kind of immaterial

Anyway I don't know how reputable the sports business journal is but they say Fox is prepared to make a 200 million a year offer but WME wants 450 million a year, which is a pretty big gulf

The UFC can't go back to Spike The Paramount Network, so who do they have to play off FOX, ESPN? USA has WWE, so I doubt they would make an offer. Will some Mystery Channel like MTV (LOL) make a bid? Could you imagine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

CBS, baby

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Bundt Cake posted:

how can you be more of a nazi than getting a swastika tattoo

Being German and alive circa 1933 - 45 would help

The tattoos might be a prison gang thing as opposed to embracing the ideology of the nsdap but lol who cares he's a rapist

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Neurosis posted:

Being German and alive circa 1933 - 45 would help

The tattoos might be a prison gang thing as opposed to embracing the ideology of the nsdap but lol who cares he's a rapist

Actually, getting Nazi tattoos as part of a "she's not my mom, Todd" protest makes you even more Nazi. That's canon.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

kensei posted:

The UFC can't go back to Spike The Paramount Network, so who do they have to play off FOX, ESPN? USA has WWE, so I doubt they would make an offer. Will some Mystery Channel like MTV (LOL) make a bid? Could you imagine?
NBC is interested.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

MassRafTer posted:

NBC is interested.

I almost mentioned them, don't they have some smaller show on already?

e: WSoF is on NBC Sports, and they have a regional network setup now that the Comcast Sports Nets are all rebranded. Hmmm.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
The other dude on the broadcast, Gooden I think? Was loving up so loving bad on Saturday

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

kensei posted:

I almost mentioned them, don't they have some smaller show on already?

e: WSoF is on NBC Sports, and they have a regional network setup now that the Comcast Sports Nets are all rebranded. Hmmm.

WSOF rebranded ages ago friend. If you had to decide between that and UFC, what are you going to pick?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

WSOF rebranded ages ago friend. If you had to decide between that and UFC, what are you going to pick?

Oh duh, UFC, but would they make an offer that WME might consider? It would be sad if the UFC wasn't able to get a good TV deal.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
WSOF represents value for money because you pay for one event but you get indoor volleyball coverage as well

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

MassRafTer posted:

but think how much money NBC saves now that PFL pays for finishes and Jon Fitch is still decent enough to Fitch up the z-leagues

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
As long as in the end , Dana White and Floyd Mayweather jr start a new fight league where Conor McGregor is champ, who is really going to remember this ufc thing anyway

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

kensei posted:

Oh duh, UFC, but would they make an offer that WME might consider? It would be sad if the UFC wasn't able to get a good TV deal.

The impression I got was Fox had the highest bid right now. $200 MM is a pretty big increase on what they got, and they'll probably still manage a little more than that. So right now it looks like NBC hasn't gone all in.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

kensei posted:

If they don't get a good tv deal it will be because WME stubbornly cut off its nose to spite its face, not because an opportunity never materialized. They may have their magic number in mind but if $200m is the top offer it's still more than their current deal is worth.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
you have no idea what kind of other offers might be on the table

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
You know what you know about this business? What I loving tell you, that's what you know.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Gay Horney posted:

You know what you know about this business? What I loving tell you, that's what you know.

I know that debt is bad

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Are they giving any signals that they're going to stop doing tuf yet?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Hey, remember when the UFC burned a bunch of bridges and alienated a bunch of people to protect the honour of Reebok? A company that couldn't even GIS the correct eagle for Poland, the native country of one of their champions? And instead managed to pick the worst of several options? The one used by at least a couple of empires who'd conquered and oppressed Poland?

It's not really related, it was just funny.

Also, Conor won't be back till April. Remember when people unironically said that he was good for the sport? And believed him when he said he'd defend both belts? Do you remember?

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Considering that they seem ok with the fact that this season will result in Roxxy being a UFC champion, probably not

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Triticum Guzzler posted:

They just did a casting call for "undefeated male fighters." The only other signal is that they seem to have quietly abandoned the "TUF around the world" campaign. The TUF Latin America 3 finale was over a year ago, and I've seen no buzz about any continuation of that series.

IMO they should split the difference on TUF and DW'sTNCS: ditch the house and run a steady flow of four-fighter tournaments for UFC shots.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Snowman_McK posted:

Hey, remember when the UFC burned a bunch of bridges and alienated a bunch of people to protect the honour of Reebok? A company that couldn't even GIS the correct eagle for Poland, the native country of one of their champions? And instead managed to pick the worst of several options? The one used by at least a couple of empires who'd conquered and oppressed Poland?

It's not really related, it was just funny.

Also, Conor won't be back till April. Remember when people unironically said that he was good for the sport? And believed him when he said he'd defend both belts? Do you remember?

Please do not post like this.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
conors been great for the sport so far

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I.N.R.I posted:

conors been great for the sport so far

the guy who sells millions of PPVs every time he appears? Terrible for the sport, because something about belts and debt and also he says dumb things sometimes. I have never actually watched a ufc fight, only read Ben Fowlkes posts on mmajunkie.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
i made him post like a mexican

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I love Conor but unless you’re dana white’s bank account irl (name change plz) he hasn’t been good for anything unless you like the reality tv side of the mma media more than the usual dumb outside of the cage stuff. He has maybe made things slightly better for some guys trying to get paid but in general I don’t see it. Conor owns but I’m not fooling myself into thinking he has made things better for viewers outside of his own fights.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Gay Horney posted:

The other dude on the broadcast, Gooden I think? Was loving up so loving bad on Saturday

Hardy and Gooden are so awful, it's like having two Jon Aniks at once but they somehow manage to sound even blander.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Kilometers Davis posted:

I love Conor but unless you’re dana white’s bank account irl (name change plz) he hasn’t been good for anything unless you like the reality tv side of the mma media more than the usual dumb outside of the cage stuff. He has maybe made things slightly better for some guys trying to get paid but in general I don’t see it. Conor owns but I’m not fooling myself into thinking he has made things better for viewers outside of his own fights.

I don’t see the “bad” here. He’s made the company a ton of money and brought more attention to the sport.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Fat Twitter Man posted:

I don’t see the “bad” here. He’s made the company a ton of money and brought more attention to the sport.

This is good no doubt but it’s more of a weird awesome to watch bandaid than a fix like UFC needs. I don’t hate it though. Honestly. I just don’t see Conor as some savior who innovated and changed MMA for the better.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Kilometers Davis posted:

This is good no doubt but it’s more of a weird awesome to watch bandaid than a fix like UFC needs. I don’t hate it though. Honestly. I just don’t see Conor as some savior who innovated and changed MMA for the better.

Might you have a much needed fix in mind for the ailing UFC?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
they were fuckin up with conor but now that rose is champ its smooth sailing for the ufc

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

El Roncho posted:

Might you have a much needed fix in mind for the ailing UFC?

tbh no, and that’s why I like Conor and don’t complain too much

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Kilometers Davis posted:

Mega stars come and go, and until they go insane and flee to poo poo in the woods, they make the company more able to put on fight nights in Azerbaijan. I don’t see what more Conor could do than make tons of money and being lots of eyes to the sport.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

i think his actual motives arent important .. a wealthy sport is good for everyone involved in it

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
My only problems with Conor are that while he is creating more PPV buys/$$$, when he retires (which could be soon), he leaves a gaping hole. In addition to that, if his whole "I'm gonna be the promoter, and want all the promotion $$$" is true, it creates a bit of a problem for Dana/WME. As proven recently, he's prone to make rash decisions, and may not be the smartest business-decision-orientated cookie in the drawer.

I get that he want's to make as much money as possible in the shortest time, but that might not be good for the organization in the longer run.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Don't know if Conor is bad for the sport or whatever but ever since mayweather stopped fighting professional boxers boxing has become infinitely more interesting and watchable.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Bring back tuf: China

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
We got any team Flying Lions fans in the room today?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fat Twitter Man posted:

the guy who sells millions of PPVs every time he appears? Terrible for the sport, because something about belts and debt and also he says dumb things sometimes.

Other people have done this without loving up the title picture as badly as Conor has. I didn't mention debt. In fact, no one loving did. The only people who mention debt here are the people ironically bagging on non-existent people who constantly loving mention debt, ironically only done by people discounting debt as a discussion topic.

Also, yeah, the belt thing kind of matters. Is it really so unbelievable to you that there are people who want the belt/title picture to be at least semi legitimate? Rather than having the LW belt held by someone who's fought once in the division before loving off for 18 months while the same two guys with massive win streaks keep getting passed over exactly as they have been for 18 months? (closer to two years, since Khabib or Tony should have got the shot before Alvarez.

If you can't get it through your head that there are people annoyed by the belt being held by someone who doesn't fight with any regularity based on any relationship with the actual division's rankings (official or hypothetical) then I don't know what to tell you

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Not really, though. On the whole, PPVs are down. Sure, people are watching his PPVs (just like they watched Brock's, Ronda's, GSPs) but they're not sticking around to watch anything else. If you need proof, look at UFC 191, just next to two Ronda cards and a Conor card, and it sold exactly as well as you'd expect a Mighty Mouse card to sell.

And it's come at the cost of the LW title picture being hosed beyond recognition.

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Mega stars come and go, and until they go insane and flee to poo poo in the woods, they make the company more able to put on fight nights in Azerbaijan. I don’t see what more Conor could do than make tons of money and being lots of eyes to the sport.

Defend a loving belt. Or relinquish it. Or just fight. Much as he won't have done for 18 loving months by the time April rolls around.

I.N.R.I posted:

i think his actual motives arent important .. a wealthy sport is good for everyone involved in it

You're one post away from defending trickle down economics. Conor is good for Conor. No one else is getting any richer unless they're management.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Snowman_McK posted:

Other people have done this without loving up the title picture as badly as Conor has. I didn't mention debt. In fact, no one loving did. The only people who mention debt here are the people ironically bagging on non-existent people who constantly loving mention debt, ironically only done by people discounting debt as a discussion topic.

Also, yeah, the belt thing kind of matters. Is it really so unbelievable to you that there are people who want the belt/title picture to be at least semi legitimate? Rather than having the LW belt held by someone who's fought once in the division before loving off for 18 months while the same two guys with massive win streaks keep getting passed over exactly as they have been for 18 months? (closer to two years, since Khabib or Tony should have got the shot before Alvarez.

Not really, though. On the whole, PPVs are down. Sure, people are watching his PPVs (just like they watched Brock's, Ronda's, GSPs) but they're not sticking around to watch anything else. If you need proof, look at UFC 191, just next to two Ronda cards and a Conor card, and it sold exactly as well as you'd expect a Mighty Mouse card to sell.

And it's come at the cost of the LW title picture being hosed beyond recognition.

Defend a loving belt. Or relinquish it. Or just fight. Much as he won't have done for 18 loving months by the time April rolls around.

You're one post away from defending trickle down economics. Conor is good for Conor. No one else is getting any richer unless they're management.

Nate Diaz got loving paid.

• Locked thread