Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

no_recall posted:

Hey you Star Citizen reading this thread.

Get a refund.

Otherwise, you'd find goons hidden in your space toilets, everytime you land, or graffiti in your constellations. We'll be stealing your torpedos and missiles.

Don't want a refund? Better request CIG to develop some kind of ship security feature (eta 2 weeks), like in ship turrets and DNA scanners. You'll never know where we are and what we're capable of.

Also, get a refund.

Buh, but, my pvp slider is clearly set to "no goons"

Taxxe:

One in the Bum fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

TheAgent posted:

anyone with any real loving experience, smarts or talent is staying the gently caress away

also a p good post

CIG has a pretty back-breaking problem at this point, as Ben Parry called out explicitly some time last week: At this point in the project, the SC codebase is legacy. This is a very, very bad word in devspeak. Not only that, but the code is extremely far from done, and it's never been anywhere near releaseable. Every dev knows that when they walk into a code base that's been actively developed for 5+ years across many studios and contractors, in perpetual pseudo-crunch, and is nowhere near completion, they're getting two things, for sure, no question:

1. Bad code. A big ball of mud that's extremely resistant to change and breaks at the slightest touch.
2. Bad management. The only way a project goes this long and this wrong is incompetent leadership from top to bottom.

No talented or experienced dev enjoys this kind of work. It's horribly tedious, frustrating, and belittling to their abilities. It makes you into a bad programmer, because the momemtum behind that many years of mediocrity and bad code is utterly insurmountable. Every reasonable programming pattern requires a top-to-bottom re-write. No. They are looking for green field projects where they can properly express themselves, work freely, and get into that creative flow state that I often liken to "surfing the tube."

The real issue is that the evidence (or rather, the lack of evidence) about Star Citizen as promised, when compared with CIG's feature velocity is now impossible to ignore. No hype can withstand CIG's clear and unflappable inability to deliver on a single public commitment they've made (with one exception to my knowledge. Either ArcCorp or 2.0 or something, somebody remind me).

The fact that 2.7 3.0 will be more than a year late is just too much for anyone but a hopeless lunatic to ignore.

Toops fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 21, 2017

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

Eric Keiron Davis will give us the latest numbers from “Burndown.”

I have the latest numbers right here

So you can take the day off Eric

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
The 3.0 cargo loop is looking pretty exciting. Has my wife and I psyched to get playing. We have a system all worked out. She'll pack and help carry the cargo out to the spaceship and I'll be in charge of all loading.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
My first job after high school was loading boxes onto a truck for little more than minimum wage. I can't wait to do the same thing again. Only this time it will be on my own time and I will have the privilege of paying cig to do so.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

6 years and 160 million dollars later you'll be able to move a box at some indefinite date in future.

Progress!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

alf_pogs posted:

at least jesus didnt have dr derek smart on his heels

:laffo::laffo:
:five::five::five:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

HycoCam posted:

The 3.0 cargo loop is looking pretty exciting. Has my wife and I psyched to get playing. We have a system all worked out. She'll pack and help carry the cargo out to the spaceship and I'll be in charge of all loading.

My plan is even better. I'm gonna get space drunk the day before and forget to eat anything, then spend the whole time complaining about being lethargic and yelling at my wife "do you want to get paid or not? Load the ship!"

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Arms_Akimbo posted:

My plan is even better. I'm gonna get space drunk the day before and forget to eat anything, then spend the whole time complaining about being lethargic and yelling at my wife "do you want to get paid or not? Load the ship!"

I'm gonna procrastinate calling the space movers and then overcompensate by trying to lift the solid oak space dresser myself, blow out my back, and spend the next week in my wank pod being needlessly rude to my wife as thinly veiled eulogy to my flagging youth.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I'll drink myself to death staring at a computer screen for hours on end

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

TheAgent posted:

:yeah:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

TheAgent posted:

I think myself to death staring at a computer screen for hours on end

FTFMe

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

SomethingJones posted:

Thanks, I haven't made one in a long loving time...

In all seriousness I'd love to hear MoMA's take on everything right now, or any backer for that matter. I wish they'd come post.

Backers are leaving and getting refunds, staff are leaving and CIG can't fill the vacancies, the funding is going down - there's no other way to say it or interpret it, it's clear and straightforward. You can draw a straight line through everything CIG have produced and said and failed at over the last 2 years to arrive at this point. It was inevitable and predictable and here it is right now. No surprise, no drama. Just another failed kickstarter that very few people outside of a shrinking subreddit give any fucks about.

That senior marketing role not being filled says a lot about Sandi, and the way the job description is written says even more about her. That's another job you wouldn't be able to do because of the incompetence and inexperience directly above you.

ManofManyAliases posted:

3p9xd1nlnisvzjwzrrqnoypzrus/rgs2l6oovmpahtgspi68f0gb5p5dhouxu4rxwaugisoyh8cso61rrd/ftjnmstmzkojzhgfjp9gc2fqxsl/dluvh9mifkvoicjmiflbiq+fnpauvfmj4tlnf/jjtarlaxlrspkh8qvm8honhzfdt4zoctv6zj9f4xfg64bsnwlv+7abx67ue+fu031uzyzh
hxxh0bgk9omsv6yiizuwv+c7o71c1uwkxgh/wmyqwf1ghlfravloim2rzxuufzlwedjztqn/wav1f1l9xsprcdk9u0rwdaqusphc6nwh1tblm6zt18ghlrl5fvya8glad68emsb6uc3fr3yjpnkbuulzju/iemku+kpikeodlmgewg2gniqjjdblfzza17hydnt79znye3nmef+kucl
ekeb+c9tufmg7ft9mo6flzfimavjowtxn4ymbbbiudnoomvkl4x846rsuqofj9zuj92hgrhxhgpjelinzkyqewg4z08znogmanybsegrmsztj/hc8dz2cljjlo/1sdecooopkifkribms8/znqgumhlkmss+78q2gqpfsakyyxpyvkqc8ncw2zpxfd1lsehr7zi3xenm2ta+tphhdh
khesmoo1aqtl7iwqjjnjgtlhlomnap92+p63xm9q2psgj+gpezryz6hdzig3mnp2ejzeioodtjsuxhpkt2/z8mbmartnuzmykjgftdoquvztxoaepx4tm3hwpknwpyaxdmdi4fj/nvfbl2fwrrqdw5ndiwl/a4ss1n+fagirwnprj7mapfgrb584gadoopkt1hi8xgew2s8mn8few
d80maidiy/vhhwssof30ci6jb2qutsmchf/lgc1harf/klbex0qc5uv2b/6vrnttp7adjknwkcdekdj7cubgp/af4y=

They asked for my take and I gave 'em my answer,
to find the truth, just solve the cipher.
Don't be bashful or gron at the shift,
the puzzle is rot with at least 10 gifts.

Unlucky for many and scary for some,
this number will help to find the outcome.
No need for a PhD in the text you chase,
Be double precise in choosing your base.

A bit of French will help if you're eager,
to slice through the riddle as they did to Caesar.
Only a pure and clean templar can weather the hunt,
but if you failed, you can suck my oval office.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Or you could just tell us.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
so I guess ben isn't doing any more shows now, it's eric davis on batgirls SCAA thing now

I think everything is fine tho, ben surely hasn't disappointed anyone or has been pushed deeper into the farthest corner of the room

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

oh nice

well his clues are ROT13, Base64, and Vigenere, but I can't be arsed to decipher this so

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
oh no no, I'm sorry, spoke waaaaaaaaaay too soon

quote:

When they don't have anyone else, they'll have Ben come on the show.
I mean, obviously everything is fine

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
oh joy lets see who can be more smug in their secretiveness this anniversary sale

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TheAgent posted:

I think everything is fine tho, ben surely hasn't disappointed anyone or has been pushed deeper into the farthest corner of the room
Please use metaphors or analogies which are physically possible, it sounds like you mean they just gave him a little shove and he didn't go anywhere

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I don't think anyone cared THAT much.

Winter Stormer posted:

oh nice

well his clues are ROT13, Base64, and Vigenere, but I can't be arsed to decipher this so

Pretty much, this.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

I've been undercover for so long I'm not even sure who I am any more!

WE HAVE A CODE 62! I REPEAT WE HAVE A CODE 62!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

solving that code is more of a game than star citizen is, and i don't want to play either of them

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

TheAgent posted:

oh joy lets see who can be more smug in their secretiveness this anniversary sale

Anyone taking any bets for how much cash CIG is going to rake in? I have a bunch of unclaimed humble bundle poo poo.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

ManofManyAliases posted:

gently caress that for a game of charlie

Did you refund it, or part of it, surely to holy good gently caress you got your money out on general principle of it being obviously and clearly and completely hosed beyond any semblance of doubt

e: I'm actually waiting to give you a virtual slap on the back and you've gone all smug mode

SomethingJones fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 21, 2017

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

no_recall posted:

Anyone taking any bets for how much cash CIG is going to rake in? I have a bunch of unclaimed humble bundle poo poo.

I say at least $5mil.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

SomethingJones posted:

gently caress that for a game of charlie

Did you refund it, or part of it, surely to holy good gently caress you got your money out on general principle of it being obviously and clearly and completely hosed beyond any semblance of doubt

e: I'm actually waiting to give you a virtual slap on the back and you've gone all smug mode

I've written off my contribution much like CIG has. Please tell me how that makes you feel.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

ManofManyAliases posted:

I've written off my contribution much like CIG has. Please tell me how that makes you feel.

I've no interest in your finances, that's your business.

Have you written off the game?

e: "Contribution" lmao

SomethingJones fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 21, 2017

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

Eric Keiron Davis

Often when middle names are used, it's the press when naming crazed criminals -- usually mass murderers.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

SomethingJones posted:

I've no interest in your finances, that's your business.

Have you written off the game?

e: "Contribution" lmao

No - still in. It's staying there until a game is released, whatever form that may be.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
In tertiary Citizen happenings, Batgirl’s latest show sees her faith restored as she declares CIG is getting more transparent not less and 3.0, the soon-to-be-over-a-year-late-and-75%-downsized-from-stated-launch-targets-pre-alpha-patch, just might release by FEBRUARY.

What’s behind this sudden spring in her formerly plodding step? What might explain her renewal of faith in a studio she’d shown increasing signs of losing hope in? Was it CitizenCon’s debut of an infinitely sprawling, planet-wide cityscape completely bereft of gameplay which they openly admitted would not be coming to the alpha in the foreseeable future? Was it the debut of the much-anticipated and even more hyped “game-changing” ship that isn’t bringing base-building to the game in her lifetime either?

Or perhaps was it instead outreach from CIG themselves, who, after pulling Ben from her program and supposedly asking employees to no longer participate in recurring shows — a crushing and visible humiliation for one of their most full-throated enthusiasts and cheerleaders — realized the error of their ways and offered up their designated now weekly apologist for Chris Roberts’s terminal incompetence himself, Mr. Eric “Buwndown” Davis as her next guest?

Whatever the reason, hope in the game and trust in the studio is renewed. Batgirl_still__believes_in_cig!

In related news, that Cargo gaming loop A Neurotic Jew dropped into thread earlier today was amazing, and demonstrated that that the same Roberts vision of gameplay purgatory that Batgirl unwittingly demonstrated nearly a year-and-a-half ago is absolutely still alive and kicking.

Even if assuming that Toops’ earlier brutal diagnosis of the terminal state of their codebase weren’t an issue, what the Cargo loop demonstrates now and the 2.x gameplay loop Batgirl previously demonstrated in 2016 is that CIG seems fiercely committed to designing a punishingly fun-free slogathon that players must endure rather than enjoy. Whatever Elite’s sins, and it has more than a few, there is fun to be had in its space sim, much of it thanks to the satisfactions of the core experience — that being space flight and combat. The ships are a true thrill to fly with a satisfying skill curve that rewards the player’s investment in efforts at mastery.

CIG’s vision of the player experience — one that denies them the joys of space flight AND subjects them to thrice the chorework of Elite to achieve similarly busyworked ends with even more “fidelity” — is yet another hurdle they’d have to overcome in the event they ever did escape their twin prisons of codebase and network.

TL:DR - Games should be fun to play. News at 11.

Late Edition: Dammit TheAgent beat me to the Batgirl punch while I wrote this maximum verbosity mess... ”Gooooooons!” :argh:

G0RF fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 21, 2017

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
PM me your bids so I can track them.

Prizes for everyone who guesses closest to the actual amount raked in until I have no codes remaining.

Oh codes are random and you won't know what you're getting, hell I don't even know what I'm giving away.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Titanic posted:

You can literally feel the frustration this person is trying hard to stave off to try to be as moderate and fair and professional as they can be.

When even citizens are quoting The Mythical Man-Month, something's seriously gone wrong.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Hilarity. Don't ever stop making me laugh.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

big nipples big life posted:

6 years and 160 million dollars later you'll be able to move a box at some indefinite date in future.

Progress!

https://twitter.com/Freedious/status/932492532998475776
https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/932713102897901568
https://twitter.com/prettyabdo/status/932794486798913536

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

G0RF posted:

In tertiary Citizen happenings, Batgirl’s latest show sees her faith restored as she declares CIG is getting more transparent not less and 3.0, the soon-to-be-over-a-year-late-and-75%-downsized-from-stated-launch-targets-pre-alpha-patch, just might release by FEBRUARY.

What’s behind this sudden spring in her formerly plodding step? What might explain her renewal of faith in a studio she’d shown increasing signs of losing hope in? Was it CitizenCon’s debut of an infinitely sprawling, planet-wide cityscape completely bereft of gameplay which they openly admitted would not be coming to the alpha in the foreseeable future? Was it the debut of the much-anticipated and even more hyped “game-changing” ship that isn’t bringing base-building to the game in her lifetime either?

Or perhaps was it instead outreach from CIG themselves, who, after pulling Ben from her program and supposedly asking employees to no longer participate in recurring shows — a crushing and visible humiliation for one of their most full-throated enthusiasts and cheerleaders — realized the error of their ways and offered up their designated now weekly apologist for Chris Roberts’s terminal incompetence himself, Mr. Eric “Buwndown” Davis as her next guest?

Whatever the reason, hope in the game and trust in the studio is renewed. Batgirl_still__believes_in_cig!

In related news, that Cargo gaming loop A Neurotic Jew dropped into thread earlier today was amazing, and demonstrated that that the same Roberts vision of gameplay purgatory that Batgirl unwittingly demonstrated nearly a year-and-a-half ago is absolutely still alive and kicking.

Even if assuming that Toops’ earlier brutal diagnosis of the terminal state of their codebase weren’t an issue, what the Cargo loop demonstrates now and the 2.x gameplay loop Batgirl previously demonstrated in 2016 is that CIG seems fiercely committed to designing a punishingly fun-free slogathon that players must endure rather than enjoy. Whatever Elite’s sins, and it has more than a few, there is fun to be had in its space sim, much of it thanks to the satisfactions of the core experience — that being space flight and combat. The ships are a true thrill to fly with a satisfying skill curve that rewards the player’s investment in efforts at mastery.

CIG’s vision of the player experience — one that denies them the joys of space flight AND subjects them to thrice the chorework of Elite to achieve similarly busyworked ends with even more “fidelity” — is yet another hurdle they’d have to overcome in the event they ever did escape their twin prisons of codebase and network.

TL:DR - Games should be fun to play. News at 11.

Late Edition: Dammit TheAgent beat me to the Batgirl punch while I wrote this maximum verbosity mess... ”Gooooooons!” :argh:

Batgirl knows she sells ships for CIG (on the sea shore) and can turn that tap off at any time, and demonstrated that in her last video. I don't think CIG reached out to her, I think she went after CIG and got herself a new guest for her channel. Gut feeling.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Toops posted:

I'm gonna procrastinate calling the space movers and then overcompensate by trying to lift the solid oak space dresser myself, blow out my back, and spend the next week in my wank pod being needlessly rude to my wife as thinly veiled eulogy to my flagging youth.

TheAgent posted:

fidelity

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

CHRISP ROBBERTS

Someone please photoshop Chris's thumb face into a piece of crispy lettuce :allears:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
When did the Burndown start? September? August? I am trying to remember.

What do you think the odds are that the Burndown broadcast will run for more than 50% of the 3.0 development period?

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

this is the saddest goddamn thing

"grown" men, their faith rejuvenated by the promise of moving around a crate, something i remember doing in deus ex in the year 2000

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

doingitwrong posted:

When did the Burndown start? September? August? I am trying to remember.

What do you think the odds are that the Burndown broadcast will run for more than 50% of the 3.0 development period?

If the anniversary sale doesn't go well then Burndown will probably be dumped and replaced with something else more "upbeat" and "positive" and "transparent"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

I say at least $5mil.

In anniversary sale or in the rest of the year?

Please tell me so that I can quote the hell out of that.