Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

4-5 minutes I often get a smoke or coffee at the end of survivors/radar missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

Wow, you weren't lying about Dragon Slash. You just kite for a bit and it wipes everything. Had someone join my shield defense and drop me a bunch of baller weapons :black101:

I would seriously pay $20bux to have like an additional 50-100 backpack inventory slots

Does anyone know the amount of time you can idle without getting kicked? I'm not a scumbag idler, it's just sometimes there's literally nothing left to do or I'm in a timed quest by myself just waiting for the clock to run out.

I'm level 25 and I have 100 slots unlocked. Drop ore and make traps

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Interesting heroes:
- Sarah Hopet, many ninjas. When they work, they destroy x7 more mobs than everyone else. Mostly.
- Urban Assaults. They are not has easy to abuse, good UA can do even more damage than good ninjas.
- Llamurai for long range combat without using ammo (low level shield defenses?)
- Any constructor with megabase. Constructors are in a good spot, actually, they may not be kind of DPS, but they have the tools to contribute a lot to any type of mission.
- The event outlander + the bonus that enable ammo spawn from llamas. Amm for days!.
- The pistol oriented outlander.
- Southerner outlander, for kick raw material farmer

Soldiers and constructors are in a good place, but I feel weak and useless when I play with a outlander.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Outlander is for material and ammo farming which you will spend 30% of your playtime doing, or at least I have.

Also if you guys ever see a power station in Plankerton avoid doing anything until you smash it. I got like 2-300 nuts and bolts from the last one I found.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

I'd rather not do maps purely to harvest and leave, although I sometimes still do. Even then I prefer Soldier though, Outlander damage output is rough compared with a Soldier. Frankly in maps you're going to fight anyway, the loot bonus doesn't outweigh the amount of extra bullets.

That being said, I'd prefer 2 soldiers, 1 constructor and 1 outlander parties over full soldier or a mix of soldier/ninja.

Not having to scavenge for building mats is great and makes the maps so much faster to safely complete.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I have this vein I'm gonna lose in my forehead from ppl loving up my funnel traps.

Also retractable floor spikes get some crazy good damage going.

Wall Darts, Gas traps, retractable spikes for boxes and tunnels?

Someone I was playing with made a big box for an objective and put wall lights and freeze tiles down 3 wide on the 4 sides and it helped A LOT.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Im in canney and rarely weekend anything other than soldiers. Ninjas are too flimsy to risk getting close and any soldier with the electric field grenades deals with trash more easily and more often than dragon slash. The most valuable resources are the ones your guns use so why waste them on a class without bonuses to make them more effective? On top of that skills like Shockwave and the minigun make them even more resource efficient since they can take out smashers for no ammo cost.

Constructors are OK sometimes but a low effort funnel with four soldiers unloading their various abilities is way better.

Ninjas without dragon slash suck and ones with it are just stop gaps while you roll for a good soldier. Melee weapons suck rear end for how risky they are. They're harder to head shot with and do as much per swing as a good rifle does per bullet. Yawn.

Outlander is just a waste of time, xp, and ammo. It doesn't take long to get max resources without them. If you're really in need of multiple stacks you're limited more by how quickly a mission can be done, not how long it takes to gather them.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Great Beer posted:

Im in canney and rarely weekend anything other than soldiers. Ninjas are too flimsy to risk getting close and any soldier with the electric field grenades deals with trash more easily and more often than dragon slash. The most valuable resources are the ones your guns use so why waste them on a class without bonuses to make them more effective? On top of that skills like Shockwave and the minigun make them even more resource efficient since they can take out smashers for no ammo cost.

Constructors are OK sometimes but a low effort funnel with four soldiers unloading their various abilities is way better.

Ninjas without dragon slash suck and ones with it are just stop gaps while you roll for a good soldier. Melee weapons suck rear end for how risky they are. They're harder to head shot with and do as much per swing as a good rifle does per bullet. Yawn.

Outlander is just a waste of time, xp, and ammo. It doesn't take long to get max resources without them. If you're really in need of multiple stacks you're limited more by how quickly a mission can be done, not how long it takes to gather them.

My experience in Twine Peaks so far: 2 soldiers is more than enough. Having a constructor auto-repair while also giving 18% damage reduction is incredible. Outlander is kinda meh if you have a full party, but when you have to do hundreds of defense maps in a row for your main quest, it's nice to have an Outlander in your party, resets your building mats back to max.

Strictly combat speaking, 3 soldiers 1 constructor is definitely best. 4th soldier wouldn't add much, while the constructor can still easily one-shot lobbers, and make the base more durable.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm in Plankerton and lobbers are 1 shotting my brick building pieces that have like 500 health. Is this common?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Yes. Lobbers are pricks and should be shot immediately. You can shoot the skulls out of the air if you need time to get to them.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I want to again thank the thread for teaching me proper funnelling. I got stuck on a BluGlo siphon/shelter main quest mission with one afk guy, one idiot, and one really good guy which took over an hour.

My 3 box traps on the hill over the shelter ran out of uses and had to be replaced.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I played yesterday with a group of guys.

They where of the "soldiers is all you need" type of players. It was kind of a culture clash.

I am of the "build a beautiful base that almost defend itself" and these guy where of the "build a rough base, a killbox, and everyone zerg rush everything with bullets. It was not very fun.

I guest is a testament of the quality of this game that it allow for different styles.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Tei posted:

- Llamurai for long range combat without using ammo (low level shield defenses?)
Also notably, Llamurai is a Shuriken Master whose tactical support gives you up to 24% more ability damage. It's good for using with your dragons, grenadiers, and other shuriken masters.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I'm in Plankerton and lobbers are 1 shotting my brick building pieces that have like 500 health. Is this common?
Building health upgrades should be #2 on your to-get list after breaking into any new skill tier, after possibly offense or tech survivors if that's what's going on. If no one in your group has those upgrades, this does happen really easily.

Great Beer posted:

You can run out of grenades and be stuck without longer than a dragon slash. Especially as an Urban Assault who only gets 3. Grenadiers have a max stock of 6 which is often enough to last a whole combat if paced well, but it can still be tricky and you might find yourself grenadeless for 25 seconds. Dragon slash is just always every 10s.

That said I think grenadier is better than dragon on that front. UA really needs a tiny chokepoint for their electric grenades where the dragon has more wiggle room though.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 21, 2017

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Even if I found the Grenadier mythic card, I'd probably stick with Urban Assault. I feel like Grenadiers are great, but purely against big groups, I've seen many in Twine Peaks and each one of them struggled keeping up with Charger waves, while I just dump a 50-75% mag of my AR into one and switch to the next in line.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Grenadiers are kinda boring but theyre so good its hard to justify not bringing one if you have them. They could probably stand a nerf to their grenade count to 3 just to cut down their ability spam. Nobody likes nerfs though so Id like the other classes to be beefed up so its easier to justify taking them. Something like this:

Constructors: Make the building health regen a standard part of the BASE. Give the ones that already heal either a faster rate or more HP per tick.

Ninjas: Buff the damage of melee weapons. You're taking a huge risk by getting close to zombies already, theres no reason they should be so much worse than just using a rifle. Give them a mobility buff. Faster move speed and reduce the energy cost for sprinting and double jumping. Ninjas are heavily reliant on their energy to use their abilities to avoid damage and get in position, which can often mean the annoying decision having to choose between getting to a fight or having the ability to do anything once you're there.

Outlanders: Theyre a mess. With the exception of the hugely limited Bears and Llammas they dont offer much to their team. Two thoughts Ive had for them are to have them provide the entire team with a small percent of the resources they gather (such as 1 wood per 25 gathered by the outlander or something) and replace the fragment system.

Right now fragments are very limited and have to be picked up to use more which is not always an option and leaves the outlander feeling under gunned. Removing the system entirely seems unlikely so instead have them semi-permanently change the fragment ability you pick up. So you'd start with nothing, pick up a bear fragment, and gain the ability to drop bears as much as you want with x seconds cooldown between uses. Then add new fragment types like trap resets and/or recharging, healing bursts, and ammo handouts. Llamas can remain one time use. Having a material grinding class isn't a bad thing but they should be able to be team players too and giving them indirect support options gives them a niche.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I currently feel like the perfect general use team is something like a grenadier, an urban assault, a mega/powerbase and one of: a dragon, special forces or another urban assualt/grenadier.

Rangers might be able to overtake one of the soldier spots if their activateable abilities weren't so bad.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 21, 2017

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

They really need to make the bears and shock towers either not single use or ludicrously powerful for the 10 seconds you get out of a fragment for them to really even be worth using. I like the idea of more fragments that do different stuff for the team.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
I'd rather they be less powerful and on a relatively short cooldown. Making them really powerful just encourages you to save it until you REALLY need it, and then you'll end up still having it at the end of most missions.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I think it would be ok if Outlanders got to store 4-6 charges of airstrike equivalents as an ability.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Kylra posted:

I think it would be ok if Outlanders got to store 4-6 charges of airstrike equivalents as an ability.

The best suggestion I have seen (in this thread?) was infinite charges, but picking a orb change the current one. Using the skill already have a cooldown so it don't need another limitation.

It opens the game to add even more type of orbs, like orbs that spawn a crate of ammo, or orbs that spawn a friendly husk or whatever.

They can balance the orb that spawn a llama making it generate let maps (if necessary) or have a longer cooldown.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I should only upgrade Epic or Legendary quality heroes, correct? Don't bother with the rares? Same thing for weapons, or only invest in good legendary? I'm in a weird space because I'm level 27 and starting to transition to where I need to be careful about what I upgrade.

Should I melt bad Epic weapons for XP?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I should only upgrade Epic or Legendary quality heroes, correct? Don't bother with the rares? Same thing for weapons? I'm in a weird space because I'm level 27 and starting to transition to where I need to be careful about what I upgrade.

Depends how far you go with them... you'll get back 90% of the xp when you retire them, but you won't get back the materials used to evolve them.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Also I was looking at some mechanics videos and someone who sounded competent said that all 3 electric traps are nature damage, not energy

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I should only upgrade Epic or Legendary quality heroes, correct? Don't bother with the rares? Same thing for weapons, or only invest in good legendary? I'm in a weird space because I'm level 27 and starting to transition to where I need to be careful about what I upgrade.

They've already confirmed that we can upgrade the rarity for heroes in a future patch. I'm just not sure if that's in the next one or a (much) later one.

And obviously the cost of upgrading isn't known yet, I'd hold out on upgrading rare heroes and see what happens in the next patch.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I watched their video about upcoming pve stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMlJHbTqdw0

Bulletpoints:

1: Manipulate your backpack and craft from the homebase (not in a game session) menu.
2: Canny story work in progress. VAs and such are recording right now.
3: Leaderboards of some sort next year
4: Winter event is a surivive the storm style event (the 3/7/14 day one)
5: Can vote to skip build part of day and go straight to night now if you're ready to fight. Only 3 and 7 day variants.
5: New heroes and weapons in winter event.
6: Minibosses. "All new monster properties and abilities". Seems to be implied for just the survive the storm style event though.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Kylra posted:

I watched their video about upcoming pve stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMlJHbTqdw0

Bulletpoints:

1: Manipulate your backpack and craft from the homebase (not in a game session) menu.
2: Canny story work in progress. VAs and such are recording right now.
3: Leaderboards of some sort next year
4: Winter event is a surivive the storm style event (the 3/7/14 day one)
5: Can vote to skip build part of day and go straight to night now if you're ready to fight. Only 3 and 7 day variants.
5: New heroes and weapons in winter event.
6: Minibosses. "All new monster properties and abilities". Seems to be implied for just the survive the storm style event though.

Wow, they seriously listened....

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

There was a really funny forum post I read about some guy who spent $3k on mini llamas and someone said "For $3000 you could have emailed the loving CEO and had him add everything in the game to your account"

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Skandranon posted:

Wow, they seriously listened....

If they really wanted to make this game widely accepted there would be a toggle to run, no endurance loss from sprinting, and double jump wouldn't be half your energy bar.

Also nerf fall damage. This game really needs to embrace speed and verticality.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

One of my favorite parts of grenadier and UA is never taking fall damage by using shockwave just before you hit the ground.

You can also use it as a tiny doublejump if you stand on a rock or something where you barely can't single jump onto the ledge. Just press it at the top of your single jump and you can make it onto things you can't without shockwave.

It also costs less energy than base mantis leap.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 22, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Kylra posted:

One of my favorite parts of grenadier and UA is never taking fall damage by using shockwave just before you hit the ground.

You can also use it as a tiny doublejump if you stand on a rock or something where you barely can't single jump onto the ledge. Just press it at the top of your single jump.

It also costs less energy than mantis leap.

You just blew my fuckin' mind, man.

Also I made a trap setup called the butterfly of death for Plankerton. There was a two tile wide natural bridge over a long fall that the enemies attack from. It was two floor tiles by two floor tiles with 2 walls down the middle lengthwise and angled roofs, and I put 4 floor of launchers and 4 wall launchers there.

It was pretty brilliant, the rando helping me was dying laughing at the setup and how much fall damage the enemies were taking.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hey I like this game but if they're going to encourage the use of KB+M on console can they at least let us customize the controller

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

AndrewP posted:

Hey I like this game but if they're going to encourage the use of KB+M on console can they at least let us customize the controller

Have you looked into the "Combat Pro" controller setting? I found this to be far better than the default for the Battle Royale mode.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Also you can use shockwave to cross 1 tile gaps. Forgot to mention that one. Probably more useful than the bit of extra vertical distance you can get.

sogekihei
Jul 15, 2001
A few days late on the hotfix for the suppressed SMG, has anyone used it/did the hotfix make the SMGs worth a drat? Still hesitant to use it over the pistol. As long as they made it so that it’s not such a throw away weapon.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

sogekihei posted:

A few days late on the hotfix for the suppressed SMG, has anyone used it/did the hotfix make the SMGs worth a drat? Still hesitant to use it over the pistol. As long as they made it so that it’s not such a throw away weapon.

I don't think I've ever killed anybody with it, but that's probably because I'll use a common pump shotty over any smg

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
how is this game aside from battle royale

how is the battle royale part

does it run okay

is there something that its recommended to buy

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

eonwe posted:

does it run okay

The PvE is a little grindy, especially for schematic XP. It's 5/10 on the Warframe scale. Making goody rear end mousetraps on the fly is a hell of a lot of fun, gun and melee combat is lackluster and the game has some issues with resource management.

It's held back by the stamina/energy management system, but the devs seem to listen

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

eonwe posted:

does it run okay

> how is this game aside from battle royale

There are mission types and you get missions from a map. Kinda like warframe, maybe?

You generally build some defenses around a objetive that you have to protect.
*all* the weapons and traps come from loot boxes, and thats a turn of for many people, but the game is AAA, with good weapons, so it stand next to games like destiny.

Is a really fun game married with a horrible business model.

It kinda needs a update and is not finished beyond the 3th map, the whole 3th map is placeholder next to placeholder then more placeholder.

> how is the battle royale part

very fun survive agains other 99 guys, alone, with a friend or other 3 friends.

kinda "what happened, happened". it generate very entertaining moment to moment gameplay if you push forward and is fast to play (1 minute to find a game with other 99 players?)

>does it run okay

I dunno. I bet the game can run on a toaster, but I play on the PS4 and It have 60 FPS unlocked.

>is there something that its recommended to buy

the cheapest box, or wait until is free this year, then if you like the game upgrade to the next pack

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ty! so it sounds like for battle royale you don't really have to get anything you can just play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Maide posted:

Have you looked into the "Combat Pro" controller setting? I found this to be far better than the default for the Battle Royale mode.

Yeah but my main problem is binding jump to "X". I would like to bind it to L3 or literally any other non-face button so I can move, turn and jump at the same time.

I feel like 90% of the times I die it's by someone jumping around like a maniac while facing me, which I assume means they're on KB+M. That's okay, just give controllers the same functionality.

• Locked thread