Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Take that, efficiency!

(Of course, once I assembled that I realized I need to be sifting dust, not gravel, because I need redstone.)

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Does DW20 make that a problem? I never paid the least bit of attention to power types in MS2 and never had a problem. MS2 uses TR, not proper IC2, though.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Be very careful using lava with those wooden floors nearby.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Nevets posted:

Be very careful using lava with those wooden floors nearby.
I've got stone slabs under the lava.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Toadsmash posted:

Does DW20 make that a problem? I never paid the least bit of attention to power types in MS2 and never had a problem. MS2 uses TR, not proper IC2, though.

It's only an issue because of specifically IC2. While TechReborn is absolutely a clone of IC2/Gregtech stuff, it at least has the flexibility to use RF as well as EU. IC2 is still simmering in an EU-flavored stew.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

If you're looking to run a pre-existing pack with no customization, the Twitch launcher is the best minecraft mod launcher that's around. If you're looking for a bog-standard, no-frills 1.12 pack, the new direwolf20 pack is a decent choice. It's got Biomes O Plenty in it for alternate terrain generation.

Good to know, thanks. I've used Twitch a bunch and had no idea it was also a MC launcher.

I'll definitely try out the Direwolf20 pack, but any other pack recommendations would be appreciated.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Serifina posted:

I haven't had that problem with Ancient Golems before. Either I've been lucky, or something's messing with the golems. What pack?

Rise of the Pack.
edit: ahhh nevermind, they don't do what I said. They do have an attack delay. There's no animation and I encountered some lag last time I died to one, so that's why I thought they attacked too frequently.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 17, 2017

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've got stone slabs under the lava.
You're still potentially in danger there. From what I understand fire will spread at least in a 3x3 chimney starting a block below the lava:

https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/118468/minimum-safe-spacing-between-lava-and-flamable-materials

I usually replace the floors of the entire section where I'm going to use lava with cobble slabs before I put any down just to be safe.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Nothing's happened so far; maybe the crucibles are blocking the sparks?

Related: how do I move energy from the generator to non-adjacent blocks?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

are you in Skyfactory? you want enderio conduits, probably; look up the Alloy Smelter and build from there (you need conduit binder - sand clay and gravel mixed and smelted - and conductive iron - redstone and iron alloyed)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

ImpactVector posted:

You're still potentially in danger there. From what I understand fire will spread at least in a 3x3 chimney starting a block below the lava:

https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/118468/minimum-safe-spacing-between-lava-and-flamable-materials

I usually replace the floors of the entire section where I'm going to use lava with cobble slabs before I put any down just to be safe.

That is out of date information. Lava spreads fire above it in a rectangular cone area(look at the official wiki), not to the sides. In the setup he's got, there are no flammable blocks above or directly to the sides of the lava, so it's safe.
In other words, if you have lava sitting on top of a wooden floor it won't burn it! If you have lava IN a wooden floor then it does burn it.

That said, if fire ever does happen due to placing a flammable block in the danger area of that lava, it will probably spread to the wooden floor.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 17, 2017

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
On the topic of Base design, this time around in Rise of the Pack I decided to build my base on a grid system - I always build walls or something so I don't get sniped by skeletons/blitzes/etc without having to be inside all the drat time, so I built a big squareish wall around my base and then did a grid of 7x7 areas with a 1 block border between them that can either be walls or just a dirt design. This is probably a bit spergier than it needed to be but I always felt like I screwed up my base setups if I don't have some sort of plan ahead of time, and 7x7 seemed like a reasonable size for a 'room'. I'll post screenshots later when I get home.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Falcon2001 posted:

On the topic of Base design, this time around in Rise of the Pack I decided to build my base on a grid system - I always build walls or something so I don't get sniped by skeletons/blitzes/etc without having to be inside all the drat time, so I built a big squareish wall around my base and then did a grid of 7x7 areas with a 1 block border between them that can either be walls or just a dirt design. This is probably a bit spergier than it needed to be but I always felt like I screwed up my base setups if I don't have some sort of plan ahead of time, and 7x7 seemed like a reasonable size for a 'room'. I'll post screenshots later when I get home.

I am pretty sure 9 X 9 is the designated standard minecraft room.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Played a bit more Project Ozone 2 today. Last time I set up a more advanced power system and made a Laser Assembly. Today I started off by putting the Laser Assembly to work making Iron Chipsets. I need these chipsets to make a boat load of Capacitors. I would like to make Capacitor Seeds. For one because it is a quest requirement, but more importantly machine blocks all require capacitors and they are expensive!

As the chips were being made I decided to craft some Minefactory Reloaded machines. I wanted to automate my farm and my Fluid Cow milking. I could only really afford to make a few machines so I went with a single Rancher and a Harvester. I needed to make a Splice and Slice first to craft the Z-logic controllers, and some zombie heads. I make a iron cleaver and brought it to an underground zombie spawner I found earlier to harvest heads. I am not regretting these underground areas so much now! The Harvester has a Emerald Upgrade which seems to make it harvest everything in a 30 block radius. Thats a lot more that it says it should, but I am not complaining it gets my entire farm with one machine! :D I put all of my fluid cows except one (a gas cow) into safari nets and set up an auto milker for the Gasoline Cow. I believe that Gasoline can be used as rocket fuel as well as liquid fuel for Buildcraft engines. I might use this as a better power source later.

I had collected a bunch of ghost souls and I used them to make a Spectral Key that took me to some kind of alternative pocket dimension. It was pretty neat, I could use this for something later:

I expanded my platform a bit. I needed to make a chisel for some exotic glass blocks, and decided from now on I am going to build with fancy cobblestone blocks. Can't hurt to spruce the place up a bit! I needed some Obsidian so I turned the Igneous Extruder to Obsidian Mode for a while to build up a supply (a lot easier making obsidian this way than using the smeltery!):

Finally, I wanted to stop moving all of the stuff around my base into storage manually. The sifter gets overloaded all the time, and It takes a few trips to get all the dust and whatever into the storage. Quite annoying! I needed Ender Chests, and I was not going to let the Nether say boo about it this time. I traveled through the portal and made my way to the surface. Some strategic sneaking across lava fields and I eventually came across a Nether Fortress. I found a blaze Spawner inside but the Blazes were too strong for my melee weapons. I bookmarked the area and returned to my base to make a better weapon. I had collected some nether string, and I had an Ardite Cow so I made an Ardite Crossbow and enchanted it with redstone. It is slow as hell to reload, but it will one shot the Blazes. :twisted: I collected a bunch of Blaze Rods and fitted my base with Ender Chests! :D

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 18, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
So quick question. Does anyone know of a good server similar to WIlsonSMP?

One where it had some neat RPG/MMO stuff like shops and a few additional building blocks but didn't disappear up its own rear end with the tech tree. One where the main thing was centered around building really nice themed cities/houses in cities on a map that actually made sense and didn't have ugly nerd poles and lovely huts everywhere?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Wow. If I can't even make it to the point of actual machines without encountering a bug that completely breaks my save, that's a sign to me that a pack is too hopelessly broken to bother with. Thanks for the early warning at least, GTNH!

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
So, Extra Utilities 2 has a skyblock mode where you start directly adjacent to a wall of bedrock that goes all the way up and down. I was wondering if anyone's considered a terrain generation mode where there's actual land generated like that. Trees might have a hard time finding places to grow unless the generation builds them sideways... Also yes biomes would just be vertical strips, and water would... cause issues. Unless it flowed sideways I guess. Maybe it'd be better if you're the only entity/block that perceives gravity differently.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Really creative gimmick worlds are a super fun possibility I rarely see explored, because it's easier to just do an empty void for a skyblock or a regular world for everything else. It's a shame, because a pack specifically built around a really strange and 'unfair' worldgen could be a blast.

I'd say Regrowth and Blightfall at least somewhat qualify, and those were both really fun for that element of it.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I desperately want to live in the timeline where challenge maps went in the direction of Blightfall and other interesting worlds rather than 800+ brutally uninteresting skyblock challenges.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Rutibex posted:

I needed some Obsidian so I turned the Igneous Extruder to Obsidian Mode for a while to build up a supply (a lot easier making obsidian this way than using the smeltery!):

Top Tip! - If you place a water source block on top of a stone barrel you can pipe lava in to the barrel which turns it to obsidian. You can then pipe or hopper the obsidian out of the bottom and make obsidian very quickly!

Spider Plant
Jan 1, 2007

A more dignified life-form.
I haven't played Minecraft in a couple of years, but I've got the urge to play something where I can chill out and build. Can anyone recommend a good mod pack to start off with as a beginner?

I put a lot of time into Big Dig and OMP for example, but they don't seem to have been updated in a while. I remember one of them had a quest book to guide you through what some of the mods could offer, which was a really helpful 'getting started' guide.

Last time I played it was all through the Technic launcher, is that still the go-to or have most things moved over to Curse/Twitch?

Spider Plant fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 19, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

AceClown posted:

Top Tip! - If you place a water source block on top of a stone barrel you can pipe lava in to the barrel which turns it to obsidian. You can then pipe or hopper the obsidian out of the bottom and make obsidian very quickly!

:eyepop:
I wish I knew that a while ago. Pouring liquids into a smeltry is tedious.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Eox posted:

I desperately want to live in the timeline where challenge maps went in the direction of Blightfall and other interesting worlds rather than 800+ brutally uninteresting skyblock challenges.

yeahhhhhh, skyblocks kind of fall into the trap of going through the same boring steps in a featureless void and i really bounce off of them hard

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeahhhhhh, skyblocks kind of fall into the trap of going through the same boring steps in a featureless void and i really bounce off of them hard

You can take a skyblock pack and use it with any kind of world you like. By its nature it will be playable in any environment. This means you are free to make any kind of harsh world you desire with the custom flatworld options. Thats what I am doing in my current play though (Project Ozone). Instead of playing a skyblock I am playing a superflat endless desert. My save file is named "Arrakis" :v:

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Spider Plant posted:

I haven't played Minecraft in a couple of years, but I've got the urge to play something where I can chill out and build. Can anyone recommend a good mod pack to start off with as a beginner?

I put a lot of time into Big Dig and OMP for example, but they don't seem to have been updated in a while. I remember one of them had a quest book to guide you through what some of the mods could offer, which was a really helpful 'getting started' guide.

Last time I played it was all through the Technic launcher, is that still the go-to or have most things moved over to Curse/Twitch?

Pretty much everything goes through twitch now.

I'd try the Simple Life 2 as your mod pack. It's got a wide range of mods, isn't spegy, and has a quest book to help your direction.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I gave up on the simple life when I realized that the author forgot to have tin spawn in the world. Might be my fault for choosing ATG I guess.

Also, you will probably want to make a chisel as one of your first tools, so that you can turn all the random poo poo you mine into regular stone, since the oredict is spotty at best.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Farms, Friends, and Fiends is a sort-of-peaceful pack, in that it prevents mobs from spawning on the surface but not underground. It's in the same general wheelhouse as Simple Life 2.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

:stare:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Don’t tell heeheex2.

Spider Plant
Jan 1, 2007

A more dignified life-form.

Kris xK posted:

I'd try the Simple Life 2 as your mod pack. It's got a wide range of mods, isn't spegy, and has a quest book to help your direction.

Hey, thanks for that. I'm having some issues with low fps, but I'm looking forward to losing a few days to playing it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Double Punctuation posted:

Don’t tell heeheex2.

I murdered that thing shortly after, and fed its beefy corpse to the flowers.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Wolfsbane posted:

Also, you will probably want to make a chisel as one of your first tools, so that you can turn all the random poo poo you mine into regular stone, since the oredict is spotty at best.

There's a 2x2 recipe to convert any of the underground biomes cobble into vanilla.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I really like the new features of plant growing machines - Cloches and Phytogenic Insulators are fun. But good god, do they like to crash when you're experimenting with automation.

I started out with a Cloche system to make Carrots and Lettuce to feed a Culinary Generator field, and was working great. Got my hands on an Ender Lilly - seems that the Cloche can't handle it - but Phytogenic Insulator can! Got it up and running manually, upgrading fertilizer was fun (although the FTB Direwolf pack has it at 500mb of sap (50 wood processed in default sawmill w/ Resin collector) to upgrade one fertilizer. Pretty unfeasible to automate wood production with that method - and since basic Phyto-gro only returns 50% saplings it's pretty mandatory.

Anyway, I manually sorted out the max tier fertilizer, and got the Phytogenic Insulator with Ender Substrate upgrade running, and spitting out Ender Pearls plus a surplus of Ender Lillies, works great! Then I tried using a buffer chest -> Itemduct w/ Servo -> Phytogenic, and crashed. Maybe tried to shove a pearl in there? Frustrating. But turns out that the default TE push/pull can just shove output seeds and pull output seeds from the same chest. So that worked out really well. On the whole I really enjoyed my first foray with Photogenic Insulators, they do seem pretty well balanced.

And unrelated bug, Ender Lillys give big performance FPS hits when placed in world, BIG hits when held in the active slot, and HUGE hits when you break one and the item is sitting on the ground. So if you're mucking about with them, I'd suggest sticking to Phytogenic Insulators, and not a conventional Ender Lilly farm.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Devor posted:

I really like the new features of plant growing machines - Cloches and Phytogenic Insulators are fun. But good god, do they like to crash when you're experimenting with automation.

I started out with a Cloche system to make Carrots and Lettuce to feed a Culinary Generator field, and was working great. Got my hands on an Ender Lilly - seems that the Cloche can't handle it - but Phytogenic Insulator can! Got it up and running manually, upgrading fertilizer was fun (although the FTB Direwolf pack has it at 500mb of sap (50 wood processed in default sawmill w/ Resin collector) to upgrade one fertilizer. Pretty unfeasible to automate wood production with that method - and since basic Phyto-gro only returns 50% saplings it's pretty mandatory.

I've been tooling around with the new direpubname pack too, but I haven't gotten very far, and I haven't done much with the new Thermal Expansion. However, IIRC there's a machine that can straight up extract sap from trees, and in larger quantities, too. I forget what it's called, though.

Devor posted:

And unrelated bug, Ender Lillys give big performance FPS hits when placed in world, BIG hits when held in the active slot, and HUGE hits when you break one and the item is sitting on the ground. So if you're mucking about with them, I'd suggest sticking to Phytogenic Insulators, and not a conventional Ender Lilly farm.

Yeah, the guy who makes that mod is well aware of it. I've run into it too. A fix is supposedly coming:

https://twitter.com/Direwolf20/status/932330518259134464

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Devor posted:

Anyway, I manually sorted out the max tier fertilizer, and got the Phytogenic Insulator with Ender Substrate upgrade running, and spitting out Ender Pearls plus a surplus of Ender Lillies, works great! Then I tried using a buffer chest -> Itemduct w/ Servo -> Phytogenic, and crashed. Maybe tried to shove a pearl in there? Frustrating. But turns out that the default TE push/pull can just shove output seeds and pull output seeds from the same chest. So that worked out really well. On the whole I really enjoyed my first foray with Photogenic Insulators, they do seem pretty well balanced.

Basically all of this can be traced back to XU2's Ender Lillies (also his redstone plant thing) being special snowflakes and XU2 actually being not all that well coded and Tema not loving fixing his poo poo for months on end.

I may be slightly angry at him right now.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I wish someone would just pull the transfer nodes and pipes out of XU2 and make them a separate mod so I didn't need to worry about the rest of that mess.

Or that at least people wouldn't put it in every drat modpack.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

flat transfer nodes are loving awesome though

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I've always felt Garden Cloches are out of place in Immersive Engineering. Everything else in that mod is big, slow, clunky and somewhat expensive. Cloches on the other hand are compact, cheap, fast and incredibly over powered. They don't even take a lot of power.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Kris xK posted:

I've always felt Garden Cloches are out of place in Immersive Engineering. Everything else in that mod is big, slow, clunky and somewhat expensive. Cloches on the other hand are compact, cheap, fast and incredibly over powered. They don't even take a lot of power.

It would be interesting to see it as a bigger multiblock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Kris xK posted:

Massive understatement. By default they use 8 rf/T and require only periodic water input to put out moderate paced, massive amounts of output. They crazy powerful. They're balanced against early-game IE, which is a pretty bad idea.