Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Tom Gorman posted:

I finally got my PC built a little over a month ago and started out with Witcher 3, and have just moved on to DOOM. And dammit if I'm not spending most of my time in this game just...lost and looking for where to go. Rooms are a few minutes of :hellyeah: and then wait where was I supposed to be going? The compass indicator doesn't help at all because the POI might be 10 meters away, but 4 floors above you. And I personally just find the 3D map hard to read.

But I'm also the kind of dipshit with directions who needs a garmin to get to the grocery store I've been to dozens of times.

I also had this problem with the game. Sadly I can't really offer any advice, but just wanted you to know you're not alone.
That and the "1. enter room 2. fight this swarm of enemies 3. enter next room and repeat" really ruined the experience for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Turd Herder posted:

Dragon Dogma is on sale on humble bundle. Is it worth it. I loved Witcher 3 but couldnt get into Skyrim when trying it on Playstation.

double-d is japanese-console-game as gently caress, which encompasses the pros and cons of the game. run around a vaguely open world jumping on top of giant monsters to stab them in the neck a bunch with your pink pigtailed musclebound dwarf in a loincloth as you try to complete missions that you may or may not have or aren't really clear on entirely, wandering confused around a very large map, part of which your AI buddy just went to after the monster knocked their rear end off a loving cliff to the forest below where AI buddy manages to survive the fall, but gets really confused how to get back to you so they just go home

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
wolves hunt in packs

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

As someone that loves janky RPGs but is allergic to anime I loving loved Dragon's Dogma but can't really explain why... If it's cheap I encourage you to buy it and give it a go.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I do not like janky rpgs, but I really enjoyed Dragon's Dogma. I love when my babe-pawn gets rented out and sent back with a sweet gift.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
this is dragon's dogma

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Dragon's Dogma didn't grab me. I got to the big castle town with my trophy and then lost all interest in the game. It kind of hit that part where everything opened up and got too overwhelming.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Bones! Walking bones!

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Dragon's Dogma is a very janky third person action RPG that isn't going to be for everyone. When it works, it's incredible, and when it doesn't, it's easy to laugh at. It's a game where you can lay a trap for a random griffin flying around by pilling up dead cows, then jump on top of a griffin and stab it, until it suddenly takes off and starts flying away. Either you kill it with your tiny daggers, you run out of stamina and fall to your death, or one of your idiot NPC allies saves you by summoning a giant meteor to knock the griffin out of the air. Stuff like that can happen in pretty much every encounter, and it isn't that uncommon to lose five to ten minutes of progress because you got unlucky when a harpy grabs you and throws you off a cliff, or a dragon comes from out of nowhere and eats you while your NPC allies shout out warnings about a nearby spot where wolves can spawn which they learned about by watching other players run into it. If you are up for something weird with some coherency and direction issues, but with the potential for amazing, dynamic encounters, go for it. If you want something that is finely tuned with a neatly scripted world, stay away from it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Strength in numbers, Arisen.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The pawn barks coupled with the reviews of Dragon's Dogma really is the perfect replica of the experience. :allears:

Get the game, it's good.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

StrixNebulosa posted:

The pawn barks coupled with the reviews of Dragon's Dogma really is the perfect replica of the experience. :allears:

Get the game, it's good.

Thanks everyone for the reviews. I'll give it a go I think.

$16 I can't really beat that price.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Dragon's Dogma is good but it is a crime against gaming that they didn't patch in a true co-op mode somehow.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

The review system has been revamped again. Downvotes on reviews are now hidden, and users who have abused the system (they cite people who have upvoted/downvoted thousands of reviews to manipulate the system) have their ratings count less against the formula. In addition, the ten reviews shown on the store page are now proportional to the game's overall rating. So if a game is Overwhelmingly Positive, it'll only show positive reviews. If it's Mixed, it'll be half and half. There's also some unexplained weirdness going on with older games, where the top reviews shown are no longer the most recent or highest-rated ones.

I'm glad they're taking steps against the weirdos who try to bury reviews they don't like but the overall rating ratio thing seems like too much, and might bury a lot of reviews on its own that raise legitimate points against the consensus.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"It'll be fine, it's just an anime themed Wizardry."

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Vakal posted:

Dragon's Dogma is good but it is a crime against gaming that they didn't patch in a true co-op mode somehow.

You realize coop would just end up being "throw each other off things" for ever right?

Man they need to add coop.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

My favourite pawn conversation from Dragon's Dogma is

"If you go closer to the tree, it'll seem bigger."

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Dreadwroth posted:

You realize coop would just end up being "throw each other off things" for ever right?

Co-op minigame: play catch with a goblin!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Dragon's Dogma Online is a thing that exists but I've never looked into it enough to see if you can pick up and throw eachother.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Tenik posted:

Dragon's Dogma is a very janky third person action RPG that isn't going to be for everyone. When it works, it's incredible, and when it doesn't, it's easy to laugh at. It's a game where you can lay a trap for a random griffin flying around by pilling up dead cows, then jump on top of a griffin and stab it, until it suddenly takes off and starts flying away. Either you kill it with your tiny daggers, you run out of stamina and fall to your death, or one of your idiot NPC allies saves you by summoning a giant meteor to knock the griffin out of the air. Stuff like that can happen in pretty much every encounter, and it isn't that uncommon to lose five to ten minutes of progress because you got unlucky when a harpy grabs you and throws you off a cliff, or a dragon comes from out of nowhere and eats you while your NPC allies shout out warnings about a nearby spot where wolves can spawn which they learned about by watching other players run into it. If you are up for something weird with some coherency and direction issues, but with the potential for amazing, dynamic encounters, go for it. If you want something that is finely tuned with a neatly scripted world, stay away from it.

This sounds fuckin' magical.

Dreadwroth posted:

This reminds me of Gunstar Heroes where co-op sessions were half epic combo attacks and half throwing each other around because GET OUT OF THE WAY THAT ONE WAS MINE!!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Olive! posted:

Dragon's Dogma Online is a thing that exists but I've never looked into it enough to see if you can pick up and throw eachother.

Sadly no, there is no player grappling.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
is an eelvern a cross between a wyvern and an eel?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

awesmoe posted:

is an eelvern a cross between a wyvern and an eel?

yes

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

McSpanky posted:

This sounds fuckin' magical

The most important advice I got before I started Dragons Dogma was to only recruit pawns at or around my level. At some point I grabbed a pawn from someone on my friend's list that had just beat NG+ and they were level 137 or something insane, and what the game does to compensate this is scale enemy health and armor to some ratio of your highest party level or something... I don't recall exactly, but my player was doing 1 damage a hit until I returned that Pawn.

Propaganda Hour fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 21, 2017

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Turd Herder posted:

Thanks everyone for the reviews. I'll give it a go I think.

$16 I can't really beat that price.

Er, yes you can.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/dragons-dogma-dark-arisen

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tsyni posted:

I do not like janky rpgs, but I really enjoyed Dragon's Dogma. I love when my babe-pawn gets rented out and sent back with a sweet gift.

Same, I normally get bored quickly but in DD I spent a ton of time grinding Bitterblack Isle just to put her in the best possible gear.

Going to check to see if anyone's hired her when I get home

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Surprisingly to me, I'm really getting into Tyranny. So far these sorts of games(isometric? Basically just the style where you scroll around and click to walk) haven't really clicked with me yet. I liked Divinity OS 2 for the most part but it wound up sort of overwhelming me a bit. For some reason I quit playing Pillars about a hour in, can't remember why.

After I finish Tyranny here is my list of somewhat similar games to try that I already have- Baldurs Gate 2 EE, Planescape Torment, Tides of Numenera, Shadowrun games and I can go back to Pillars as well. I know Baldur's Gate is supposed to be a classic but to be honest I really can't stand vancian magic. Is that a common thing in Baldurs Gate? I could just play another class I guess but I'm having fun with the spells in Tyranny. FWIW I don't really have a preference between RTwP or turn based. If there are cool builds, spells, abilities or loot or whatever I seem pretty happy.

edit: Oh yeah I also picked up Wasteland 2 on sale a while back. I heard it's a bit meh but from what I understand people weren't crazy about Tyranny that much so maybe I'll like it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You really need to play Planescape, the combat sucks but you can just play on Easy or cheat, just makes sure to put all your points in INT and WIS and go Mage. The Shadowruns are great and Torment 2 is really good too.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Surprisingly to me, I'm really getting into Tyranny. So far these sorts of games(isometric? Basically just the style where you scroll around and click to walk) haven't really clicked with me yet. I liked Divinity OS 2 for the most part but it wound up sort of overwhelming me a bit. For some reason I quit playing Pillars about a hour in, can't remember why.

After I finish Tyranny here is my list of somewhat similar games to try that I already have- Baldurs Gate 2 EE, Planescape Torment, Tides of Numenera, Shadowrun games and I can go back to Pillars as well. I know Baldur's Gate is supposed to be a classic but to be honest I really can't stand vancian magic. Is that a common thing in Baldurs Gate? I could just play another class I guess but I'm having fun with the spells in Tyranny. FWIW I don't really have a preference between RTwP or turn based. If there are cool builds, spells, abilities or loot or whatever I seem pretty happy.

edit: Oh yeah I also picked up Wasteland 2 on sale a while back. I heard it's a bit meh but from what I understand people weren't crazy about Tyranny that much so maybe I'll like it.

Pillars is pretty rough for the first 2-3 hours, unfortunately. It does a terrible job of telegraphing where you should go if you want to make progress without dying. After that initial hump, though, it really takes off. I'll post a full review of it in a day or so, I just finished it tonight and ended up really impressed with the whole thing.

If you need something easy to get into, the Shadowrun games are probably your best bet. I've only played Returns but it was plenty of fun and never gave me any trouble, and my understanding is that it's the weakest of the three.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

The Chad Jihad posted:

So the first Spellforce had the enemy "base" just be a clump of inactive buildings that would spawn waves of scouts and then nastier waves if you didn't kill the scouts before the time ran out, is Spellforce 3 the same way?

They got rid of that mechanic. Ever since Spellforce 2 enemy camps (mostly) work the same way yours does. The AI does get the occasional cash injection or storyscripted spawns but it's not really noticeable.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Wasteland 2 is "old school" in the very worst and dumbest way possible.

More to the point, it's just not well written, at all.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

you definitely will not

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Tyranny is a lot more focused than Pillars, where you could just be wandering around aimlessly for awhile. It'll basically give you a tight guided tour before setting you loose. Its more structured but it does benefit from it, and it's short enough that it doesnt overstay its welcome.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah I just finished what I guess you'd call the prologue, where you meet the edict's demands or whatever. I'm in that first fairly decently sized town with a lot of merchants at the moment. Also for some reason Tyranny really doesn't like launching. Probably 25% of the time the game will lock up and there's been a time or two where it launched and ran at like 3 fps. However, once I get loaded in it runs flawlessly so I'm not complaining for real.

I was reading the infinity thread and it claims Baldurs Gate 2 has a really good magic system. One of the things I'm really digging about Tyranny is the magic system, so at some point soon I think I will give Baldur's Gate a shot for sure. Probably too soon to really worry about but I'll ask out of curiousity, what would be the best class if I want a lot of magic variety?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Sorcerer, Mage or Cleric are the only heavy casters in BG. Exactly which is up to you; Sorceror and Mage have the same spells with differences in how many spells you can easily use.

Dual /multiclass can complicate things though.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
A lot of times I like to go with a tanky healer, in fact that's what I'm doing with my main dude in Tyranny. But I'm also really digging using offensive and control spells with Lantry so I'm not sure. When I actually get ready to play BG I'll just post in the Infinity thread.

Speaking of playing other games, about how long is an average play through of Tyranny?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

For BG2? Clerics are probably what you want. They're healer tanks that can also dish out a lot of hurt if you're facing certain enemies.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Tom Gorman posted:

I finally got my PC built a little over a month ago and started out with Witcher 3, and have just moved on to DOOM. And dammit if I'm not spending most of my time in this game just...lost and looking for where to go. Rooms are a few minutes of :hellyeah: and then wait where was I supposed to be going? The compass indicator doesn't help at all because the POI might be 10 meters away, but 4 floors above you. And I personally just find the 3D map hard to read.

But I'm also the kind of dipshit with directions who needs a garmin to get to the grocery store I've been to dozens of times.

This is the exact reason I don't like new Doom. When you're shooting demons it's great. The moment that ends it's an unfinished hunt for secrets and the next room in which to shoot demons.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

A lot of times I like to go with a tanky healer, in fact that's what I'm doing with my main dude in Tyranny. But I'm also really digging using offensive and control spells with Lantry so I'm not sure. When I actually get ready to play BG I'll just post in the Infinity thread.

Speaking of playing other games, about how long is an average play through of Tyranny?
20-25 hours. Mind you, it is very much a multi-playthrough game, although that is on account of story, not gameplay.

Echoing the praise for Dragon's Dogma: it is a fever dream of an RPG and it is utterly fantastic the whole way through. One thing no one mentioned is how incredibly powerful the magic in it feels: you'll be tossing around whole tribes of goblins with tornadoes and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I also liked Dragons Dogma a lot, but I will say that I found some of it weirdly repetitive - you fight the same big monsters and trek back and forth through the same areas quite often. The combat is fun enough that it wasn't too big a deal for me, but it's probably the one thing I thought was outright kind of bad rather than acceptably janky.