Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
i dont think anyone has been convinced of anything in the last couple of pages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
STUPID BULLSHIT STARTS HERE

How about this:

The nature of the industry and it's patriarchal, 'no girls allowed' attitude is coming home to roost and it isn't pretty. Exhibit a-z: Gamergate. It's 2017, better representation should be expected. However, we live in an imperfect world. Choice of gender isn't always a feasible option for developers for a variety of reasons. Though that fact doesn't give them carte blache to ignore the disparity among male vs. female playable characters. And for a genre like ARPGs, where highly modifiable characters are the standard, choice of gender should be as standard as choice of class or race. Historical evidence of this not being the case does not excuse developers from that choice. And nor should they, as diverse character creation allows a more diverse audience to imprint themselves onto a character.

That said, having never played the game, I'll accept the argument that the way PoE was built doesn't allow easy implementation of gender. Assets, art, and voice lines can range from spendy to exorbitantly expensive. But, like I said, that doesn't excuse the developers from being part of the problem. Lack of gender is as much of a creative or design choice as it is to implement it. And it would have been nice to be able to point at another game and tell some people "This game allows you to be female" or "you can be black in this one". And early on, I wish whoever had the reigns to make those decisions prioritised having them, and figured out a way to keep it affordable. It's easier to swallow that 'our game tells it's story mainly in text, because of the genre' rather than 'the berserker and assassin are male, because that's the genre'. But as it is now, we can only hope that from here on out they try better. Use the framework they have built up to create something that's exciting to the non-'straight white male' audience.

As well, this is not a demonization of the game. I also accept that it is a well designed and fun game. And I hope that whoever is playing it will continue to play it. But not all games can be for everyone, and that should be an accepted fact. Where someone won't see issue with the characters, maybe due to the design or whatever, someone else may see genders being forced into cliche archetypes. And they don't have to force themselves to play a game that has this one issue nagging at them. People don't have to sit through escapist media if it mainly reminds them of the issues that plague them day to day. There's too many games out there to play something that you can't enjoy fully. For those who play PoE, they shouldn't have to feel attacked because other people refuse to engage with the game on their level, and for those who don't want to play, they equally shouldn't have to feel attacked because they feel their criticism isn't being taken care of seriously. We live in an imperfect world, and it's hard for everyone to deal with every issue at the same time. And it shouldn't matter what games people are playing, unless it's Hatred or Ethnic Cleansing or Bubsy, and we should live and let live. It's a fine game that only those who are truly happy with should play.

That said, this is the 'Fun little things you like in games thread' so knock off with this inane conversation.

END OF STUPID BULLSHIT

How about some content? Playing Grow Up right now, and the costumes are really charming, even though I only have 2. They even change the various tools/power ups you pick up with each costume.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Blind Sally posted:

PYF little things in games: I can't believe I've been convinced to play a dang ARPG

I'm real down on it but I'm probably going to play it again when I finish up .hack//G.U. on PC. I'm just not going to pursue any of the hardcore content.

Speaking of .hack, though. The port is pretty nice. A few icons have gotten overhauls, combat uses the volume 3 design for all 3 volumes and all the extra cameo poo poo that required saves from the first series and poo poo is in-built.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
In the Uncharted games, sully is funny.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ariong posted:

Fallout New Vegas was especially good. Levelling up gives you points that you use to make your skills better, the perk system lets you hone your playstyle further if you like, and the Trait system allows you to put a little spin on the whole process. The starter town, Goodsprings, gives you everything you need to test out your playstyle to see if you like it or not before you’re asked to lock it in.
I reached 100 in every skill in New Vegas, it's a good game but the character system is badly thought out garbage (Not really Obsidian's fault, the Fallout character system was always bad and FO3 made it even worse)

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I'm happy platformers like Mario and Sonic are starting to dump lives as a concept, hopefully this is becoming the new standard

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Okay, I have some actual content:

The combo system in River City Ransom Underground is really satisfying. Also, the AI is brutal enough that it feels really awesome to dominate a group of enemies and chain juggle or stomp them into oblivion. Also also, the animations look great. It's been a lot of fun to play so far, really scratches that old-school beat'em-up itch.

I've also been playing a bunch of Age of Empires II HD and I'd forgotten about the hilarious AI opponent resignation reasons. If you've never played AOEII, when you beat the AI in a random map, they'll send a chat message before the resign. The message includes a bullshit excuse as to why they got their rear end kicked--something you might hear an actual person online say. Only they do it in Early Modern English, so you get a lot of forsooths and verilys.

These are a few of my favourites. They're all 100% bullshit, as if you're familiar with the game, you'll know they're all meaningless and don't matter at all or are mechanically impossible:

Age of Empires 2 AI posted:

"'Odsblood! I accidentally resigned by mistake."
"My townsfolk began too close to mine kingdom's Town Center."
"Far too many birds flew over mine kingdom."
"A mere single scout was present to serve in the beginning." (this is true of every player at the beginning of a standard random map)
"Forsooth, I couldst not tame any wolves."
"All my beginning citizenry were male."
"Thy heraldic color was superior to mine own."
"Forsooth, the nearby boars grunted too loudly and frequently."
"'Zounds! I couldst not build a Wonder in the Dark Age!"
"My peasants wert puling wretches (a puny 25 hitpoints!)"
"The shore fish near mine villager appeared all too sleepy."
"A graceless hillock rose all too near mine Town Center."
"My peasants' huts all faced different directions!"

Sally has a new favorite as of 05:53 on Nov 21, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Path of Exile sounds awful. Thank you thread for convincing me to never touch it. And more games should offer a choice of gender for the protagonist - it should be the norm, not the rare exception.

Starcraft 2 recently made the base game and co-op mode free to play, with every single co-op commander free to try up to level five, plus the default three commanders free with the game, and I've been very impressed by how diverse the commanders are. Despite there ostensibly being only three races, there are fourteen different commanders and counting now, and none of them play much like each other. Each has a completely different roster of units, global abilities, perks as they level up, and style of play. The variety is impressive and at this point, no matter how you like to play an RTS game, there's a commander that will fit you.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

"poe has the complexity and depth of dota without the stress, competition, or toxicity of other players"

That does sound good, but can I get it without the DOTA?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I like Destiny 2, enjoy the company of my clanmates, and have an entertaining time overanalyzing the available lore sources from both Destiny games.

These have been my favorite little things about Destiny 2, instead of whining about ARPGs and MOBAs.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
My room-mate has been playing a lot of Stardew Valley. Some of those songs are real earworms. The summer song with the cheesy synth Sitar and tabla drums is weirdly charming.

Everything about that game is very earnest. The whole thing is refreshing.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Heat Signature. Taking a few rechargable glitch traps into a harder ship, and after spacing the pilot setting up a corridor with several in a row that I can lure a bunch of unsuspecting idiots down. The "vwoop-vwoop-vwoop" sound as I depopulate a section in a second is amazing. Shields don't protect against hard vacuum, do they fuckers?

As is being a wrench ninja. Just run into a guard station with like 5 dudes, hit one with a wrench, then another with a second, throw both at two more guys and then possibly teleport one back to throw at the last. Going a bit low tech to solve your problems is quite viable sometimes.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In W2: TNC (thats short for Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus), I like seeing a half-senile Hitler piss and vomit on the floor while proclaiming the superiority of the Germans.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Also, in all the TN* games I appreciate that BJ isn't the leader, he's the muscle. He gets the worldwide fame, but it's other people who actually lead the resistance. TNC spoiler like how grace and Horton give the final speech to the camera and BJ just stands in the background.. I know it's not much, but I like the trope reversal.

Also, Is there an in universe explanation as to why BJ can shrug off 10+ bullets and hand grenades before going down? I haven't played the new blood, do they talk about it there?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020
No, but considering that (spoilers for end of TNO/beginning of TNC) a single hand grenade fucks him up to the point of turning him paraplegic even after getting top-notch medical attention it probably is running on the D&D/Uncharted rule where the only real hit point is the last one and the rest is just BJ's luck/will to fight.

Alternatively, somebody in the Wolfenstein thread did the math and a fully-armored BJ is a lot tougher than the best tanks deployed in the real WWII.

e: adding another Wolfenstein little thing, this time from Old Blood. BJ can interact with a skull at one point, during which he recites Shakespeare to himself, drops it, apologizes to nobody in particular, and awkwardly places it back where he found it. It is the most realistic scene in the series, perhaps in all of gaming.

SkeletonHero has a new favorite as of 08:55 on Nov 21, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That was something I liked in the Shadow Warrior remake - Lo Wang is just the hand that holds the Katana. As soon as the plot gets started, that is made completely clear - he isn't the main character, his demon buddy is, Lo Wang is the idiot sidekick. In the ending the demons even literally paralyse him with magic, put him an a corner and just go "Hang out over there kid, the grownups are talking..."

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Blind Sally posted:

I've also been playing a bunch of Age of Empires II HD and I'd forgotten about the hilarious AI opponent resignation reasons. If you've never played AOEII, when you beat the AI in a random map, they'll send a chat message before the resign. The message includes a bullshit excuse as to why they got their rear end kicked--something you might hear an actual person online say. Only they do it in Early Modern English, so you get a lot of forsooths and verilys.

These are a few of my favourites. They're all 100% bullshit, as if you're familiar with the game, you'll know they're all meaningless and don't matter at all or are mechanically impossible:

Wait is this a new feature? I never noticed anything like this.

My favorite thing about AOE2 AI is when they launch a giant combined attack and then resign before the first body hits the ground.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
The gender chat reminded me of something I liked in Fire Emblem Fates: two classes from the series (fighter and pegasus knight) that historically in the series were restricted to males and females respectively are now fair game for boys or girls. Now girls can be burly axe-murderers and boys can ride pretty flying ponies (and upon promotion use magic wands). Pegasus knight has always been one of my fav classes in the series, so I (a boy) jumped at the chance to give my self-insert character his own flying horse.

e:

Vic posted:

Wait is this a new feature? I never noticed anything like this.

That was a feature in the original version too.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Simsmagic posted:

I'm happy platformers like Mario and Sonic are starting to dump lives as a concept, hopefully this is becoming the new standard

Wayyyy the gently caress back in the day when I played the Jak and Daxter games, it was so cool to me I didn't have to worry about lives so I could just keep trying stupid jumps that required frame perfect timing until I figured out the exact combination imation of button presses to glitch my way to items I wasn't supposed to get yet. Part of me does wish the rest of the series was as whimsical as the first game but I had fun with all of them.

I also had a ton more free time back then to do this but I like how finally spreading to other games because game over screens are bullshit unless its an SMT game and it was caused by a lucky crit on the MC because I'm broken.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Don Gato posted:

Wayyyy the gently caress back in the day when I played the Jak and Daxter games, it was so cool to me I didn't have to worry about lives so I could just keep trying stupid jumps that required frame perfect timing until I figured out the exact combination imation of button presses to glitch my way to items I wasn't supposed to get yet. Part of me does wish the rest of the series was as whimsical as the first game but I had fun with all of them.

I also had a ton more free time back then to do this but I like how finally spreading to other games because game over screens are bullshit unless its an SMT game and it was caused by a lucky crit on the MC because I'm broken.

I accidentally sequence broke Jak and Daxter when I finally got around to it about 1-2 years ago, by saving the game and quitting right at the start of the final area (I often take a break before the final gauntlet to do something else and come back to it fresh). When I loaded the save, it had warped me right to the top of the area, and stepping forward played the cutscene that unlocked the final boss. I was on my way to 100% so I thought "gently caress that!" and literally walked back to the start of the area, having to figure out jumping puzzles that I'd never seen before so that I could do them backwards, although a few times I was able to jump straight down and skip a bunch, until I got back to the entrance. Then I ran the level properly, and because the cages with the sages were already open while the collectibles powering them were still in place, the game would crash every time I picked up an item, because it was trying to play a cutscene that was logged as already done. Luckily the autosave completed before the cutscene loaded, so I had to reset the console, run to the next cage then crash the game to get all the remaining 4 collectibles. Then I just stuck at the final boss until it died.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
A lot of people really want to dislike path of exile for bizarre reasons that I suspect are mostly just contrarian. If you like click games like diablo then you'll probably like path of exile more, since its kind of the ultimate form of them. There aren't really classes either, every character can do anything, so there's no gender locking.

If you don't like diablo-likes then you probably won't like it. That's pretty much the only thing it reasonably comes down to.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Trainmonk posted:

A lot of people really want to dislike path of exile for bizarre reasons that I suspect are mostly just contrarian. If you like click games like diablo then you'll probably like path of exile more, since its kind of the ultimate form of them. There aren't really classes either, every character can do anything, so there's no gender locking.

If you don't like diablo-likes then you probably won't like it. That's pretty much the only thing it reasonably comes down to.

This except Fallout 4 and stolen baby games.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I downloaded PoE last night. Never played an ARPG before. It’s like Gauntlet, but an RPG, and the passive tree is basically Final Fantasy X’s sphere grid. Past the first act and it’s entertaining so far. Then again, I’m a maurader focusing on two-handed swords which is always a good idea.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Trainmonk posted:

i like click games but i don't like spending hours not playing the click game and instead doing homework to figure out what skill combinations make my character competent

if you're into that more power to you but lol @ 'only contrarians wouldn't like a game i like'

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Lechtansi posted:

Also, in all the TN* games I appreciate that BJ isn't the leader, he's the muscle. He gets the worldwide fame, but it's other people who actually lead the resistance. TNC spoiler like how grace and Horton give the final speech to the camera and BJ just stands in the background.. I know it's not much, but I like the trope reversal.

Also, Is there an in universe explanation as to why BJ can shrug off 10+ bullets and hand grenades before going down? I haven't played the new blood, do they talk about it there?

SkeletonHero posted:

No, but considering that (spoilers for end of TNO/beginning of TNC) a single hand grenade fucks him up to the point of turning him paraplegic even after getting top-notch medical attention it probably is running on the D&D/Uncharted rule where the only real hit point is the last one and the rest is just BJ's luck/will to fight.

Alternatively, somebody in the Wolfenstein thread did the math and a fully-armored BJ is a lot tougher than the best tanks deployed in the real WWII.

e: adding another Wolfenstein little thing, this time from Old Blood. BJ can interact with a skull at one point, during which he recites Shakespeare to himself, drops it, apologizes to nobody in particular, and awkwardly places it back where he found it. It is the most realistic scene in the series, perhaps in all of gaming.

Yeah they do explain it, visually. BJ gains power from his immense hatred of Nazis. This is why he was comatose for so long and still in fantastic shape despite the fact that his body should have atrophied. Once he saw Nazis in the hospital his body refused to wither, and eventually his hatred of Nazis gave him the ability to awaken from his comatose state and murder all the god-damned Nazis. Every other Nazi that stabbed or drugged him just made him angrier and fulll of even more nazi killing hatred so he was relatively unaffected. At the end of TNO BJ thinks he killed all the Nazis he could and just allows himself to die finally.... until the sequel when even more Nazi's show up.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Trainmonk posted:

It's funny you bring up Diablo because even Blizzard realized that having to build a new character from scratch because you "built it wrong" was loving retarded.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Eela6 posted:

My room-mate has been playing a lot of Stardew Valley. Some of those songs are real earworms. The summer song with the cheesy synth Sitar and tabla drums is weirdly charming.

Everything about that game is very earnest. The whole thing is refreshing.

stardew valley is so good. plus the whole soundtrack was written by one guy

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

stardew valley is so good. plus the whole soundtrack was written by one guy

Wasn't the whole everything written by one guy?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hey this is a PYF thread not a post your bitching thread. Also I skipped three pages and you fuckers are still bitching about PoE pleas stop tia

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Buzkashi posted:

Wasn't the whole everything written by one guy?

yeah, its really good.

My most recent little thing about stardew valley is a bug. You can buy farm animals and if you name them after the internal IDs of rare items then they will become that instead of a chicken or whatever. The dev saw this and decided he liked it so much that they are now official "cheats" and made all the IDs public for everyone.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

AOE 2 hd skirmish mode has two ais; the original who plays like someone who only plays RTS singleplayer (attacking in orderly squads, superfluous walls, extremely reluctant to build more than one of each kind of military building), and the new one which is much stronger and plays a bit like an online opponent.

Oddly enough the new ais seems a lot more willing to resign when they're on their backfoot though

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

a lot of enjoyment in poe comes from finding the overpowered skill and item combinations often not intended by the developer. Discovering something incredibly good often feels like you're "getting one over" on them.

PoE is the dota of arpgs, high learning curve and you'll probably need a guide the first few times but once you know it it's really fun. saying that their deliberate decisions should be changed goes against the core philosophy of why the game appeals to so many people.

if the game isn't for you then that's fine, what you're describing is more or less diablo 3, where there are no wrong choices so every choice is equally rewarding but also incredibly shallow because of it.

every single skill gem can be used to beat the game and progress far into it. instead of having to completely reroll your character your shortcomings can probably be fixed by changing your support gems or getting more life/survivability on gear. following a guide alleviates the trial and error gameplay many people experience.
Yeah, that isn't good design. Neither are bosses that rely on giant AoE attacks nothing else in the game uses, which are also extremely susceptible to lag issues. Having to play with a guide isn't depth. Being able to discover and figure out the mechanics on your own is. You can't do that if the game punishes you by only telling you that a build doesn't work dozens of hours into the game.

Obtuseness isn't depth, and PoE has a bunch of really good design decisions in its loot and currency systems especially. But their boss encounters run counter to how the rest of the game works, and the passive skill tree is less fun and more guesswork. All they would have to do to fix this is change the bosses and introduce a better respeccing system.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, that isn't good design. Neither are bosses that rely on giant AoE attacks nothing else in the game uses, which are also extremely susceptible to lag issues. Having to play with a guide isn't depth. Being able to discover and figure out the mechanics on your own is. You can't do that if the game punishes you by only telling you that a build doesn't work dozens of hours into the game.

shuuuuuuut uuuupppp everyone go post in the other thread this one is about the opposite of this!

Let’s keep posting our favorite little things in games until people stop complaining about stuff. In Crypt of the Necrodancer: Amplified the way that ice works has been changed. Ice is a terrain that causes you to go uncontrollably sliding across it until you slide off of it. Before Amplified, stepping on ice caused you to immediately lose your combo. Now you can keep it if you don’t press anything while you’re sliding and get right back into it as soon as you slide off the ice.

Being able to incorporate the ice into your movement instead of goving it a wide berth makes Zone 3 a lot more interesting to navigate, even though ice is still an obstacle at the end of the day.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Since AoE2 is being mentioned and it's one of my favorites that I've been playing off-and-on since release (I'm still loving terrible at it though): the death animation for the Japanese unique unit, the samurai, depicts him committing seppuku. It's really hard to see it, but he falls on his own sword. It's rad.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

funmanguy posted:

yeah, its really good.

My most recent little thing about stardew valley is a bug. You can buy farm animals and if you name them after the internal IDs of rare items then they will become that instead of a chicken or whatever. The dev saw this and decided he liked it so much that they are now official "cheats" and made all the IDs public for everyone.

That's amazing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I thought it was the original AoE: Conquerors AI that was real resign happy. I've found the HD AI to be surprisingly lifelike at times. Sometimes an AI will resign after trying and failing miserably to seige my city a bunch of times, losing all their military units. Other HD AI will resign if I send scouts to harry the outskirta of their towns, blowing up military buildings here or there (early on, Feudal or Castle Ages). Other times I've seen the AI play down to their last military unit or villager. It seems more arbitrary (and thus more human) than what I've seen in earlier versions.

They still have a hard time figuring out walls though.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

FELD1 posted:

Since AoE2 is being mentioned and it's one of my favorites that I've been playing off-and-on since release (I'm still loving terrible at it though): the death animation for the Japanese unique unit, the samurai, depicts him committing seppuku. It's really hard to see it, but he falls on his own sword. It's rad.

lol, I've never noticed that. That's great.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blind Sally posted:

I thought it was the original AoE: Conquerors AI that was real resign happy. I've found the HD AI to be surprisingly lifelike at times. Sometimes an AI will resign after trying and failing miserably to seige my city a bunch of times, losing all their military units. Other HD AI will resign if I send scouts to harry the outskirta of their towns, blowing up military buildings here or there (early on, Feudal or Castle Ages). Other times I've seen the AI play down to their last military unit or villager. It seems more arbitrary (and thus more human) than what I've seen in earlier versions.

They still have a hard time figuring out walls though.

I think it was the original Age of Empires 2 when, if you set a skirmish game to the easiest settings, the AI would sometimes just resign the moment the game started, usually with a comment like "I sent a peasant to hunt boar, and the boar slew him!" I like to think it was the AI rage quitting.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

I thought it was the original AoE: Conquerors AI that was real resign happy. I've found the HD AI to be surprisingly lifelike at times. Sometimes an AI will resign after trying and failing miserably to seige my city a bunch of times, losing all their military units. Other HD AI will resign if I send scouts to harry the outskirta of their towns, blowing up military buildings here or there (early on, Feudal or Castle Ages). Other times I've seen the AI play down to their last military unit or villager.

That seemed to be how my games have gone so far, with the new ai quitting after taking a couple defeats. Which as you say is pretty lifelike but it is extremely bad manner to quit regicide before your king is dead :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

My favorite little thing in Games is the way people treat others choosing not to play their favorite game as if they were missing out on some transcendent, life-changing experience, instead of a video game which provides roughly the same amount of fun as the many other video games they might prefer.

My favorite little thing in a game at the moment is the ease of respeccing in Etrian Odyssey V, which refunds all your skill points at the cost of 2 levels, as well as letting you pick a new specialization for that class. It never occurred to me to single this out as a favorite thing before now, because I just assumed that is where game design was at these days. In conclusion EOV is a good game that I think you should play, but even if you don't I'm sure you experience many other things which give your life meaning.