Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TraderStav posted:

It's very similar to the one Elliot wears. I expected it to be pretty bulky but it's fairly light and thin.

Hope you are cold! And it gets torn when you beat yourself up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just started watching Season 3, and it really bothers me that if Elliot really wanted Mr. Robot's plan foiled, he could just...tell E-Corp. Send an anonymous mail about their UPSes being a hacker target, about the details of the plan. But nope, he just plugs a single hole and he thinks that's supposed to be enough.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ymgve posted:

Just started watching Season 3, and it really bothers me that if Elliot really wanted Mr. Robot's plan foiled, he could just...tell E-Corp. Send an anonymous mail about their UPSes being a hacker target, about the details of the plan. But nope, he just plugs a single hole and he thinks that's supposed to be enough.

Yeah, right. A guy with severe social anxiety and assorted other issues who's convinced vigilante hacking is the solution to the world's ills doesn't want to call the big company. You're right. Makes ZERO sense.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
they kinda get into that as the season progresses.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Man this show is so frustrating because of what it could have been. Season 1 was absolutely amazing and had a perfect balance of fast paced plot and character development. Since S2 the show's just been spinning its wheels though and it's been getting super boring watching episode after episode of Angela looking stone-faced and us not knowing her true motivations. Maybe it's the fact that Whiterose/Dark army/Angela were always the worst part of the show for me, and S2/S3 focused so much on these characters without revealing much about their motivations. Still a great show with amazing production quality, but I wish it stuck with a similar tone as the first season.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Its also kinda infuriating that season 3 so far has been pretty much about the main character trying to prevent the plot from advancing

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
have you folks not seen the most recent ep yet or something?

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done

Elias_Maluco posted:

Its also kinda infuriating that season 3 so far has been pretty much about the main character trying to prevent the plot from advancing

This is actually kind of how I'd been feeling, despite my love for the show anyway. I was rooting for Phase 2 the whole time haha

Fight Club handled this kind of dichotomy pretty well but maybe it just plays better during something that's specifically feature length.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

90s Shoes posted:

have you folks not seen the most recent ep yet or something?
Although the latest episode was top-form amazingly good and plenty of the show has been entertaining to watch, having just one episode be an excuse for 1.5 seasons worth of meta-plot lurching is not OK.

That said, when the meta-plot was most likely the primary plot of what would have been a movie, it figures something like this would happen when translated into a TV show.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
Plot beats aside, my favourite part of this show is watching Elliot skulking around office environments. If he ever finds cause to crawl through a vent system, I'll never have to play Deus ex again.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I would say that after season 1, this became a primarily character driven show. I have no problem with that.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Plot beats aside, my favourite part of this show is watching Elliot skulking around office environments. If he ever finds cause to crawl through a vent system, I'll never have to play Deus ex again.

Did Elliot ever ask for this?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Either you understand how dumb this thread can be, and this is a pretty good attempt to get the thread riled, or you are the worst at watching television.

:thunk:

You willing to :toxx: yourself on that bet?

Post history in this thread kinda checks out. Lots of calling people's theories idiotic, but probably drinking the kool aid now or just trolling. They caught on to the "Elliot is in an institution" pretty early on in the face of disbelief.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well is certainly a bit less stupid than "Eliott is Darlene"

Ugh. So close!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

It's a more common theory than you'd think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYAG9dAfy8U

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
^^^^ Thanks, I think?

Here's why I believe Darlene/Angela is possible.

1. The static at the end of the scene. The latest episode established the static is used to describe two conflicting personalities fighting for control. It's been used for Elliot, but not to lead into any of his scenes before they start. It comes right in the middle of a fight- a moment of high anxiety. The framing of the scene (and the whole episode) also made me think this.

2. Both are involved with Whiterose and the Dark Army. It's not a stretch that Darlene was using Cisco(sic?) to do the hack to maintain her contact with the DA since they seemed to be disengaging from her in season 1.

3. Angela pulls off a hack that was so difficult it was initially entrusted to an expert. In fact, Angela has continually showed competence beyond her ability when it comes to computers. Could be bleed over from the Darlene personality.

4. Darlene/Angela creates a perfect foil for Elliot/Mr. Robot. In fact, it's very likely that Mr. Robot/Angela Vs. Darlene/Elliot is the core struggle of the show's later seasons, or factors in heavily if this theory is right.

5. Angela and Darlene have both been recruited by the FBI too. But, has anyone in the FBI referred to them both by different names or brought them both in at the same time?

6. Darlene doesn't have a day job, so it makes sense that she could work at Evil Corp without needing to be in two places at once.

7. Both Darlene and Angela were having flashbacks to their childhood this episode. In fact, there were a ton of parallels drawn between the two characters throughout the entire episode.

8. Angela and Darlene can both recognize, to some degree, when Elliot is Mr. Robot and when he is Elliot. It makes sense that he could subconsciously do the same thing to them. This explains how three of them could be in a scene at the same time. In fact, I would suspect to see all four of them in the same scene at some point if this idea is true.

Honestly, the biggest part I can't fit into this is Angela's dad, but that also depends on which personality is the real one, Angela or Darlene. It makes more sense that Darlene/Elliot are the real ones, but who knows. If that's the case, is that Darlene's stepfather? Was she rehomed after their father died and maybe their mother left them? I dunno, it's a hole for sure.

I'm not 100% convinced I'm right or anything, but I'm shocked no one else has even commented on it after that scene towards the end of the episode. If it's the case, I bet they start dropping more hints leading up to a reveal by the end of the season. If it isn't the case, maybe something will happen to emphatically prove it.

Rewatching seasons 1 & 2 would probably help me cement the theory as well in one direction or the other.

Anyway, that's what I've got off the top of my head.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Benson Cunningham is a plant by the writers of the Mr Robot meant to throw us off the scent of the true meaning behind the show:

White Rose and Price are the same person, and that person is.... THE US GOVERNMENT

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why is Darlangela way more into it when Elliot kisses Angela? Why does Darlene not actively attempt to prevent Angela from getting close to Elliot? It's a gross, impossible theory, is all.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
For me it's more like... what would be the point of that? Like, it seems like it would just be a twist for a twist's sake. It's not a reveal that makes anything make more sense. All the big twists so far, Darlene being Elliot's sister, Elliot being Mr. Robot, and Elliot being in prison, are all explanations for previously strange and unexplained things.

Darlene being Angela wouldn't answer any questions, and it would raise a shitton. It wouldn't advance the plot, and I'm not sure how it would really serve as character development for either character.

Okay, but if it was, you could do some interesting things with it. The ballet class, as well as Angela's general white palette and Darlene's black palette present a very Black Swan vibe. You see some of the same duality in Angela/Darlene as Elliot/Mr Robot. Angela is trying to do things "the right way" while Darlene is unhinged and violent.

I personally think it would be a very boring direction to go.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Some twists could have potential, like how the 71 buildings hack was a good surprise. I'm interested in the "Angela's mom is her Mr. Robot" theory because it expands on a character I like, and it explains some of her behaviours while opening new plotlines to explore. Whereas merging two essential characters at this point in the show, who have more screentime together than Elliot, feels reductive. Everything becomes a question of how one character's behaviour relates to the other.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Snak posted:

For me it's more like... what would be the point of that? Like, it seems like it would just be a twist for a twist's sake. It's not a reveal that makes anything make more sense. All the big twists so far, Darlene being Elliot's sister, Elliot being Mr. Robot, and Elliot being in prison, are all explanations for previously strange and unexplained things.

Darlene being Angela wouldn't answer any questions, and it would raise a shitton. It wouldn't advance the plot, and I'm not sure how it would really serve as character development for either character.

Okay, but if it was, you could do some interesting things with it. The ballet class, as well as Angela's general white palette and Darlene's black palette present a very Black Swan vibe. You see some of the same duality in Angela/Darlene as Elliot/Mr Robot. Angela is trying to do things "the right way" while Darlene is unhinged and violent.

I personally think it would be a very boring direction to go.

These are fairs points and a reasonable response.

I agree with your initial assessment, but think the dynamic is fairly interesting and could get some good on screen mileage.

But I also want time travel to happen, so maybe I'm the minority?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

What if Mr. Robot is what Elliot really looks like, he only sees himself as a pasty nerd. He's actually 40 and rougishly good looking.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

:regd08:

Now I want Esmail to time travel, alternate reality, it was all a dream, Lawnmower Man us. gently caress it. Maybe we'll get lucky and we'll get a Sopranos style blue ball ending, or even better, Lost.

He should get Stephen King and Shamalan on board too for a season finale. Really hammer in some nonsense to an otherwise normal show.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Hmm you may be onto something here.

Cisco was in a pseudo relationship with Darlangala while getting Darlangala's boyfriend to install malware so he could blackmail Darlangala and boyfriend, meanwhile he's also working as the go between for the dark army and Darlangala. Until in season 2 when Darlangala and Darlangala team up for the FBI hack and Cisco comes to drop off a device for Darlangala but Darlangala is also there sees him and recognizes him as the guy that hacked her previously and is upset. Later Darlangala fucks him.

Speaking of the FBI hack, Darlangala walked Darlangala through the hack via a cell phone conversation, because Darlangala was in the Evil Corp building while Darlangala was simultaneously in a nearby hotel in disguise because obviously Darlangala couldn't get into the corporate office because she didn't work there and needed Darlangala to do the footwork instead.

Wait no, all your somebody is somebody else poo poo is completely retarded and the internet's tendency to throw everything at the wall to see what sticks is actually bad. This one didn't even give the hilarious visual of Elliott getting banged by Cicso on a filthy bathroom sink like the previous attempt.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Benson Cunningham posted:

^^^^ Thanks, I think?

Here's why I believe Darlene/Angela is possible.

There’s parts about this that make sense, and I’m kind of thinking about this more now.

The part that kind of makes me think this has legs is the Angela’s mom death party scene where a few peculiar things happen. Mr Robot walks in to talk to Angela and she only asks about Elliot, ostensibly she is friends with Darlene too but we very specifically don’t see her and she doesn’t ask about her.

Also there’s a scene where Angela’s Dad just kind of very obviously just walks away as either Angela or Mr Robot approach Angela’s mom to say something so that they couldn’t interact.

I was planning on rewatching s1 and s2 when s3 is over so I’ll give this theory a spin when I watch.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Hmm you may be onto something here.

Cisco was in a pseudo relationship with Darlangala while getting Darlangala's boyfriend to install malware so he could blackmail Darlangala and boyfriend, meanwhile he's also working as the go between for the dark army and Darlangala. Until in season 2 when Darlangala and Darlangala team up for the FBI hack and Cisco comes to drop off a device for Darlangala but Darlangala is also there sees him and recognizes him as the guy that hacked her previously and is upset. Later Darlangala fucks him.

Did you just have a stroke?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This whole thread has been having a stroke for about three and a half pages.

Forreal loving stfu about Elliot being other characters already gently caress

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Mr Robot v3.0 - Later Darlangala fucks him

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Irving is Joey Bada$$

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I wonder if Mobley was confused at all when Darlene, extremely competent hacker and current leader of F Society, ordered him to teach Darlene (who is now Angela) how to use a console to execute a basic bat file and she has all kinds of trouble with it.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Blind Rasputin posted:

Did you just have a stroke?

It's clearly a satire post.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

precision posted:

Irving is Joey Bada$$

White Rose is Joey Bada$$

Triple Personality!

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Mr Robot v3.0 - Darlangala fucks herself.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Blind Rasputin posted:

Mr Robot v3.0 - Darlangala fucks herself.

Oh now Darlene and Angela are Dom too?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Everyone is Kevin McCallister the Snowman.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo. Ths day of Elliot's accident is probably the actual day that his dad died.

We know something loving fishy is going on with all of that.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

rage-saq posted:

There’s parts about this that make sense, and I’m kind of thinking about this more now.

The part that kind of makes me think this has legs is the Angela’s mom death party scene where a few peculiar things happen. Mr Robot walks in to talk to Angela and she only asks about Elliot, ostensibly she is friends with Darlene too but we very specifically don’t see her and she doesn’t ask about her.

They are a few years apart which at that age is a lifetime.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
What if Elliot is actually Batman and Whiterose is the Joker? And Angela is Robin? And Tyrell is Alfred?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Please.

Tyrell is clearly the Robin in that relationship.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

What if Elliot went back in time to push himself out of the window?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Elliot is clearly Morty. The humour in this show is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Mr Robot’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Mr Robot and Elliot truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Mr Robot’s existential catchphrase “No rest for the wicked,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Sam Esmail’s genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

• Locked thread