Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
A nice 15 to 20 minute game of wrestling with Monty and fighting with him over toys usually tires him out if you’re the type to get on the floor and roll around with your pup.

I’ve heard it also helps with bonding with your pup and stuff like that.

E: it also gives a lot of chances to teach boundaries with regards to biting and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

boop the snoot posted:

A nice 15 to 20 minute game of wrestling with Monty and fighting with him over toys usually tires him out if you’re the type to get on the floor and roll around with your pup.

I’ve heard it also helps with bonding with your pup and stuff like that.

E: it also gives a lot of chances to teach boundaries with regards to biting and stuff.

Typically I do, but I’ve had to tone it down a bit. Tarkus bit two people at his day care 2 weeks ago (didn’t break skin, but still made contact; one was at someone’s face). I’m still working with the day care’s trainer on the whys, because that is extremely odd behavior for a dog who’s typically very sweet, and he’s never done anything like that at home. The trainer is actually working with him one on one starting today but in the meantime advised I limit the rough and tumble play until he’s narrowed down where the aggression came from.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

I HAVE GOOD AIDS posted:

So Lando is apparently part shark because he’s taken to biting my girlfriend and I’s forearms when he wants to play. It’s not aggressive biting, but he’s got some powerful jaws that have left some pretty impressive bruises and scratches on my arms. We’ve tried immediately substituting a toy for tug of war and also going straight to doing obedience training with small treat rewards as a way to calm him down, but these have had mixed results. Even a stern “NO!” just seems to rile him up more.

We’re going to soon arrange to have a trainer visit us at home a few times so we can address this and build a foundation upon which to work before he starts obedience school in January, but until then- any tips so that I can prevent my arms from looking like I’ve got a bad IV heroin habit?

A vet taught me my go-to move. Immediately after a bite, roll one of his gum flaps over a canine and press until he yelps or whines. It breaks biting habits more quickly than any other method I've tried on dogs of any age.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Typically I do, but I’ve had to tone it down a bit. Tarkus bit two people at his day care 2 weeks ago (didn’t break skin, but still made contact; one was at someone’s face). I’m still working with the day care’s trainer on the whys, because that is extremely odd behavior for a dog who’s typically very sweet, and he’s never done anything like that at home. The trainer is actually working with him one on one starting today but in the meantime advised I limit the rough and tumble play until he’s narrowed down where the aggression came from.

I tell people that I’m 99% sure Monty won’t bite. I will never say 100% because while I have never seen Monty get aggressive with a person, I think any dog can get pushed too far. My neighbors’ have an infant that loves Monty and crawls all over him and rugs at his tail and Monty doesn’t mind. If he doesn’t like it he just moves.

But their infant did the same thing with someone else’s dog and got bit on the arm and they primarily blamed the infant because you can’t go around tugging on every dog’s tail.

I say that because maybe your dog is getting agitated and doesn’t feel safe at day care, but feels very safe and comfortable around you.

I’m probably wrong. I’m not a dog whisperer.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 20, 2017

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

boop the snoot posted:

I tell people that I’m 99% sure Monty won’t bite. I will never say 100% because while I have never seen Monty get aggressive with a person, I think any dog can get pushed too far. My neighbors’ have an infant that loves Monty and crawls all over him and rugs at his tail and Monty doesn’t mind. If he doesn’t like it he just moves.

But their infant did the same thing with someone else’s dog and got bit on the arm and they primarily blamed the infant because you can’t go around tugging on every dog’s tail.

I say that because maybe your dog is getting agitated and doesn’t feel safe at day care, but feels very safe and comfortable around you.

This is pretty much the right approach to take. Our other dog, Chico, was a shelter dog and with 95% of the people he meets he's a chill and loving pet-hound. But for some reason 5% of the people he meets he just decides right off that he does not trust them and won't abide them being in the same room. We've yet to find a certain common thread - but it seems to be mostly heavy-set people with grey hair that he distrusts. So far no attacks or biting, but there's been "close barking." I'm sure there was some incident in his past that triggers this, but it's a mystery to us.

I think it's wise that you always take the approach that your dog will bite people and act accordingly. But for some reason there's people out there that see a dog and just want to immediately be in the dogs face.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

boop the snoot posted:

You probably aren’t far off, honestly. Tarkus’ relationship with day care is complicated, but he generally enjoys playing there with his sister and the other dogs. He’s given a nap, food and a cookie from home while there and gets lots of human attention. I get a full report on his behavior when I pick them up. They only go about once every 2 weeks and the very occasional overnight if we are going to be gone and can’t find someone to come to the house. The girl that he bit on the face is someone that he knows very well (she’s come to our house for pet sitting as well) and always has kisses for, so it’s extremely weird. They have webcams in the play area that I peek in on during the day and I’ve never seen him looking agitated, but of course I can’t see everything. I’ll see what the trainer says today. Right now Tarkus isn’t allowed with the other dogs until he passes the behavioral stuff or they figure out what the trigger was.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Question on that whole thing.

If you have multiple dogs at once and are playing with both, does anyone notice that they... I suppose, "share the knowledge" of the boundaries with each other? Or am I insane?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

wasn't this a danger 5 plot

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Skyscraper posted:

https://youtu.be/rKJIlMVEqD0

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Sleepy pupper (from Imgur)

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Wife and I were out of town at a vendor show all weekend, missing our pup. We did find a present to bring back to her though.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Skyscraper posted:

Technically no it isn't. I would know.

It is a real life story though...

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Malek posted:

Technically no it isn't. I would know.

It is a real life story though...

I was joking, but that is a very good boy.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
RIP Gander. Good dogge. :smith:

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Naked Bear posted:

RIP Gander. Good dogge. :smith:

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

This is Brooke, she’s a 13 year old puggle. Recently visited White Sands National Monument. The old dog loved to run around the dunes like pup

https://imgur.com/gallery/Vo0iG

Ugh, I suck at this

MonkeyWash fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 22, 2017

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Dog. Dog never changes.

https://i.imgur.com/oxg9kai.mp4

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

If you're in Seattle, go by the Seattle Pinball Museum. For a flat fee you can play all the machines as much as you want, spanning 1960 to 2017 (57 years of pinball tech).

Also, I'm posting it in this thread because the shop also features a sweet old golden named Cash that greets you at the door, and then wanders around getting scritches, belly rubs, and begging for potato chips and snacks from people while they play pinball.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
That dead, dumb, and blind kid sure pets a good ol' dogge.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Lando went for a run this morning and a long walk in the park this afternoon. Now he’s snuggled up in his new blanket and binge watching Narcos with his mom and me. If life could be any better for a dog or his humans, I dunno how.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/8sqExKf.gifv

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
After hike snoozin’

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
This is what I’m thankful for :3:

Gonna bring him some leftovers and let him eat dinner like a human tonight.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/dog_rates/status/933740517472587776

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Lando wishes all of the awesome dogs in this thread and their humans a happy thanksgiving!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Happy Turkey Day!

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

boop the snoot posted:

Happy Turkey Day!

Those eyes are 100% "HOLY poo poo THIS IS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH"

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Well we had our first snow of the season here in Songtan, and Mochi is a fan!

Not pictured : Mochi dropping a deuce then barking at the steam.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Throw a snowball at Mochi. Report back with your findings.

Monty loves snowball fights but gets confused when they disintegrate.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Also need a pit pat update

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Joy is fairly content

Jelly is loving out though

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

You would think I was yelling at him but this is begface.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:five:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

https://i.imgur.com/FnDYazi.gifv

really good

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

sick recovery

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That is well loved frisbee.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I imagine that goes for any bordie collie toy those dogs are insane. They are also the best frisbee snatchers in the West by far.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Happy turkey day! Here is Apollo getting up to no good in the snow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
oh

my

god

https://i.imgur.com/Szu8nFU.gifv