Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

xbilkis posted:

Does he realistically fall much further than 5-6 if he's healthy post-surgery? I'm skeptical that it'd be worth waiting another year to get a second NBA contract, but I do want to believe there's a chance he comes back

I can't see why he'd come back. As long as scouts are convinced he's healthy and passes all physicals, he's not going to slip far. Wouldn't be worth risking another year of college ball and the opportunity cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
So I guess hopeful projections for Mizzou are now an NIT berth and that Cuonzo Martin can bring in some recruits for 2018.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
:cripes::negative::smith::smithicide::smithcloud::ughh:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I can't see why he'd come back. As long as scouts are convinced he's healthy and passes all physicals, he's not going to slip far. Wouldn't be worth risking another year of college ball and the opportunity cost.

He shouldn't. That doesn't mean he won't. He might feel like he'd regret that being his big hometown moment: one scrimmage and five minutes of a game or whatever. If he wasn't from Columbia (sorta) I'd say he's gone but now...stranger things have happened.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

2018 draft seems p loaded. Bagley, Doncic, Porter, Ayton, Bamba. If his medical's dont clear, theres a good chance Porter can fall to 5 or so.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Iowa basketball, let's be mad again

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Missouri has had three #1 recruits in either football/basketball in their entire history:
--Tony VanZant: fucks up knee before coming to campus
--Dorial Green-Beckham: kicked off team for being a fuckhead, went to OU
--MPJ: played a grand total of two official minutes before needing a discectomy

At least we had four years of Max Scherzer.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

iospace posted:

So the basketball version of Tommy John surgery

It’s way worse.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

xbilkis posted:

Does he realistically fall much further than 5-6 if he's healthy post-surgery? I'm skeptical that it'd be worth waiting another year to get a second NBA contract, but I do want to believe there's a chance he comes back

It’s a loaded draft so maybe a little farther than that but he’d probably still go in the first round which is the big thing. In theory he could also control where he goes a bit by being picky about who gets medicals, if you want to spin something vaguely positive out of it

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah like Tommy John if that surgery also removed a piece of your elbow.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Yeah like Tommy John if that surgery also removed a piece of your elbow.

Well...Tommy John literally removes a part of your forearm or knee or foot/ankle (unless you're using a tendon from a cadaver).

I just feel bad for the guy. Whether or not he comes back (don't if you're going high) he was clearly looking forward to playing in college this year. He was actively out recruiting as much as Cuonzo was after he decided to go to Mizzou.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Here's an article about the Cayman Island Classic that Iowa is playing in. It compares the tournament to the Frye Festival debacle. The locker rooms are tents set up outside of the gym.

https://ohvarsity.com/lets-talk-about-the-dumpster-fire-that-is-the-cayman-island-classic-effbf991e56b

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Ah yes, the Tax Haven Invitational, surely this is the event to prepare our team for a successful season.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

PotatoJudge posted:

Here's an article about the Cayman Island Classic that Iowa is playing in. It compares the tournament to the Frye Festival debacle.

is Iowa really playing THAT badly though?

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

PotatoJudge posted:

Here's an article about the Cayman Island Classic that Iowa is playing in. It compares the tournament to the Frye Festival debacle. The locker rooms are tents set up outside of the gym.

https://ohvarsity.com/lets-talk-about-the-dumpster-fire-that-is-the-cayman-island-classic-effbf991e56b

Gather round guys! Plenty of synthetic cheese and tomato sandwiches for everyone!!!!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Reminds me of when Kentucky played in the Puerto Rico Tip Off during the Gillispie years in a hotel ballroom with a court and riser seating laid down in it.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Chief McHeath posted:

Reminds me of when Kentucky played in the Puerto Rico Tip Off during the Gillispie years in a hotel ballroom with a court and riser seating laid down in it.

I think it was Cancun, but yeah that was terrible. I think there were parts of the floor where the ball wouldn't bounce correctly.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Yeah, you're right, it was Cancun.

The Puerto Rico Tip Off was the one friends and I decided definitely needed an Urban Dictionary definition and took like two days to come up with it.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 18 days!)

N: #2 Arizona just lost to NC State
V: lol

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn 24/7 site reporting Bruce Pearl was given an ultimatum to start cooperating with the internal investigation Tuesday, but hasn't, supposedly on the advice of his own lawyer; an email from the university president to a few boosters went public, stating Pearl's refusal is "troublesome" but also hedging a little, doesn't seem like he wants to swing an axe. Rumors circulating that some are hopeful about reinstating Austin Wiley at some point but hard to believe that's anything more than wishful thinking.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

PotatoJudge posted:

Christ our athletic department is so loving dumb

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery
News: Notre Dame comes back from down 16 in Maui Invitational Final to beat Wichita State 67-66

Views: Death to Koch U.

Also
https://twitter.com/MurrayRGJ/status/933228200615923712

SpiritualDeath fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 23, 2017

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Wow, UNLV might actually be good :stare:

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Peanut President posted:

N: #2 Arizona just lost to NC State
V: lol

RIP Sean Miller's shirt for that game

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Lessail posted:

Wow, UNLV might actually be good :stare:

UNLV - Nevada for the MW title is kinda cool. Still can’t believe Menzies of all people is coaching that team.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I decided this year to pay more attention to College Basketball and specifically to UT basketball. What are my reasonable expectations for the season? I know they haven’t been great in past seasons but I’ve read they should be decent to good this year. I also saw they beat Purdue yesterday which is a good sign.

I’m going to try to watch the Nova game today but with NFL on that night prove to be difficult with my family.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
So apparently, despite some transfer issues (3 players leaving) in the offseason, UConn seems to be at least a decent team. They beat Oregon tonight to go 4-0, which is certainly better than last year.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
How is Arizona so trash?

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
I'd like to nominate Arizona State for worst hair in college basketball 2017-2018.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Arizona's defense is really monumentally bad. Ayton just has no idea what he's doing at all on that end of the floor and the rest of the team isn't much better, even guys like Ristic or Pinder who were solid defensively last year just don't seem to be very tuned in on that side of the court. And the fact that the team, at least in theory is trying to play more uptempo is really putting pressure on the defense that it can't stand up to, especially when they're just bricking shots. And like the point guard situation is really dire, Jackson-Cartwright was unplayable for the most part in this tournament and no one has any clue how to run even simple two man game which has made it impossible to create any easy looks or the desired tempo. The team basically is living and dying by Trier ISOs. These were enough to be compeitive the first two games but Trier was off against Purdue and the team had no way to score.

The defense is probably fixable, the point guard situation though may sink this team.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Badgers beat the dangerous UW-Milwaukee Panthers.

I don't have high hope for this season, at all.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

iospace posted:

Badgers beat the dangerous UW-Milwaukee Panthers.

I don't have high hope for this season, at all.

Just keep expectations in check. They've been in tougher situations and manged to find decent success. Yea, it's mostly table setting for next year, but that doesn't mean they can't make noise in a tournament or have some marque wins along the way. Making the NCAA tournament is a reasonable goal at this point, given how young the team is and the early losses, and anything more than that is worth celebrating imo

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm expecting tourney, but I don't expect Sweet Sixteen or even out of the first round.

Who knows, the Badgers are, even in an off year lately, that one team you can't write off until that final buzzer sounds.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Watching Gophers v Alabama 5 on 3 was hilarious. That's really all I've got.

https://www.facebook.com/StadiumCollegeBasketball/videos/780207395499352/
Start from around the 15:00 mark of the 2nd half to watch it all unfold (1:22:00ish on the video timer).

Protip: Make sure the entire bench doesn't leave during an altercation.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
https://twitter.com/ChantelJennings/status/934575961479057408
:laffo:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Paracaidas posted:

Watching Gophers v Alabama 5 on 3 was hilarious. That's really all I've got.

https://www.facebook.com/StadiumCollegeBasketball/videos/780207395499352/
Start from around the 15:00 mark of the 2nd half to watch it all unfold (1:22:00ish on the video timer).

Protip: Make sure the entire bench doesn't leave during an altercation.

I love the triangle-and-two without the two.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still can’t tell if Pitino was just having his guys go easy and let it get too close or he just did not know how to coach against three players.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I still can’t tell if Pitino was just having his guys go easy and let it get too close or he just did not know how to coach against three players.

He mentioned in a post game interview that he had no idea what to tell them to do lol

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Wait, so...Alabama played 3v5 against Minnesota for more than ten minutes?!?!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Crazy Ted posted:

Wait, so...Alabama played 3v5 against Minnesota for more than ten minutes?!?!?!?

and made up ground on their deficit

• Locked thread