Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

If only Roland would make perfect emulators -- I don't mean approximations like Virtual Sound Canvas -- it'd be so great.
I mean, that's what Sound Canvas VA is going for, innit? (Different product from Virtual Sound Canvas, apparently.) I've been using it for the better part of a year and I dig it. Kinda wish it had capital tone fallback, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Uncle Kitchener posted:

STRAFE is no Mummy cowboy or Dusk, but it's fun now thanks to the devs actually listening.

Also, not really an old school FPS, but I picked up the Syndicate FPS recently since I was looking forward to it since its release but never got to play it and it was removed from Steam, so I had to get it on Origin. It's a fun game, but the PC port is lazy in the options department and there's no way of turning mouse smoothing off and you can change your axis sensitivity separately. If I didn't have a mouse with DPI control, I would've been going back and forth in the options menu to change sensitivity over and over. Early 2010s and late 00 ports were pretty awful like that. Also, holy poo poo, people actually cared about Skrillex back in the day.

Now, even console shooters these days have more precise sensitivity control on axis and smoothing toggle and sliders (good ones anyway).

I thought I was literally the only person who kinda liked this game, albeit as not such a huge syndicate fan

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children

The Kins posted:

High Noon Drifter has gotten a big update including, among other things, Hexen support that lets you snap the Centaurs out of their shielding state with your whip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c7nARhF_X8

And gollly the Hexen monsters are such HP sponges... I'm sure it would be a better game with halved HPs for monsters. Thank God whip take cares of the centaur shield stance.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Make a 3D recreation of MAP01 in UE 4

Oh don't worry I know it's an absurd amount of work. Which is why I was kinda hoping just making levels in Doom would burn me out. But now that I've looked the amount of things you can do to Doom is so insane and I had no idea. Also there's tonnes of games worth of wads and mods out there to play as well. I'm sure it's no surprise to a lot here, but I thought Doom mods were like Simpsons Doom and the like. What's out there should keep me busy and safe from the rabbit hole of making an FPS in a modern engine.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

DonVincenzo posted:

And gollly the Hexen monsters are such HP sponges... I'm sure it would be a better game with halved HPs for monsters. Thank God whip take cares of the centaur shield stance.

The base enemy, the Ettin, has 200 HP. The pinky demon has 150.
The Heresiarch has 5000 HP, compared to the Cyberdemon's 4000. And can turn invulnerable/reflective at will.

You might want to turn the damage slider up!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wamdoodle posted:

24 instruments :eyepop: that's like Brian Eno level

Is there a MIDI version of Zaireeka out there?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's a present for Al Cu Ad Solte.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAQwKiK8jyE

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

DraQu is a drat monster. He'll do WR on any FPS he touches.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Oh great, time to reinstall. Perfect end of the year game too. Are you happy now? :v:

This is highly entertaining. The mid air save/load fall damage cancel is dope.

operative lm
Jan 27, 2009

> Fondly regard crustacean
I didn't see this posted anywhere, but there's a pretty good custom campaign for Turok: Dinosaur Hunter that was released a couple of weeks ago. It's available on the Steam Workshop.

But here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHzt5LSMqFg

It has some interesting design, and a number of the weapons have been slightly altered (grenades now explode into a number of smaller grenades, for example), but there's a water platforming section that, for me at least, was pretty brutal. But I'm bad at games, so your mileage may vary.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
On this day in 1998 Valve released the original Half-Life. Happy birthday to my favorite series! :D

:cry:

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Is there any reason why I should not switch to vkQuake from QuakeSpasm?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

operative lm posted:

I didn't see this posted anywhere, but there's a pretty good custom campaign for Turok: Dinosaur Hunter that was released a couple of weeks ago. It's available on the Steam Workshop.

But here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHzt5LSMqFg

It has some interesting design, and a number of the weapons have been slightly altered (grenades now explode into a number of smaller grenades, for example), but there's a water platforming section that, for me at least, was pretty brutal. But I'm bad at games, so your mileage may vary.

Wow, I never expected to see something like this from the Turok workshop.

Oh boy, we're one day closer :f5:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

On this day in 1998 Valve released the original Half-Life. Happy birthday to my favorite series! :D

:cry:

What just occurred to me is that, if HL3 were to be announced in the next year or so, the time lapse between HL2 and HL3 (15-16 years) would basically be the same as the time difference between Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace (16 years).

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 19, 2017

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

What just occurred to me is that, if HL3 were to be announced in the next year or so, the time lapse between HL2 and HL3 (15-16 years) would basically be the same as the time difference between Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace (16 years).

Holy poo poo it was only 16 years between the first two trilogies? Time is a gently caress.

Also, I am laughing alone in my apartment at the thought of the Dr. Zaius scene in the Planet of the Apes musical from The Simpsons but its Vortigaunts singing about Gordon Freeman.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Holy poo poo it was only 16 years between the first two trilogies? Time is a gently caress.

Also, I am laughing alone in my apartment at the thought of the Dr. Zaius scene in the Planet of the Apes musical from The Simpsons but its Vortigaunts singing about Gordon Freeman.

You know how the original Star Wars movies came out each 3 years? (1977, 1980, 1983)

Lucas had been planning to just keep doing that, have an Episode I come out in 1986, II in 89, III in 92, VII in 95, etc. But for various reasons, that never ended up happening and so I gets delayed to 99, the year after VIII was expected to be out.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

ETPC posted:

Is there any reason why I should not switch to vkQuake from QuakeSpasm?

You'll probably be fine, since for now the developer seems to be keeping up with QuakeSpasm changes.

I'd kind of flip that around though and ask what the reason is to make the switch? vkQuake seems like more of a technical experiment (and maybe some mild future-proofing of the Quake codebase) that doesn't buy you any major benefits that I know of.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Guillermus posted:

DraQu is a drat monster. He'll do WR on any FPS he touches.
He's also already gotten it down to under an hour. At this point I think it's basically a compulsion. Not that I'm complaining, mind.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

For some reason, I thought the question was about FTEQW, the Quake source port wot has HRTF (and... actually, I'm not sure what else it offers beyond OpenAL support).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

He's also already gotten it down to under an hour. At this point I think it's basically a compulsion. Not that I'm complaining, mind.

He has that compulsion of beating every drat game he touches and of course I don't complain aswell, it is so drat fun to watch.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Shadow Hog posted:

For some reason, I thought the question was about FTEQW, the Quake source port wot has HRTF (and... actually, I'm not sure what else it offers beyond OpenAL support).

FTE is a real swiss-army-knife engine that does a ton of stuff. The developer is way down the rabbithole of understanding Quake technical issues (and rendering/physics/networking stuff in general)... but unfortunately he's kind of allergic to finalizing/packaging/blessing/advertising stable releases. Or keeping up-to-date docs about the engine features & usage.

There's some general (and outdated) FTE info here: http://fte.triptohell.info/

And mushi has taken a whack at evangelizing FTE here: https://qexpo2016.com/author/mushi/

It's a fun thing to experiment with if you're a Quake engine collector. And it probably supports any map/mod that other current engines do, although there's always the issue that Quake behaviors are so poorly specified and/or reliant on certain bugs that the thing that matters most is the engine that a map/mod was specifically tested against. For that reason it's always good to have Quakespasm handy.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Speaking of which... latest QS release here:

http://quakespasm.sourceforge.net/download.htm

changelog here: https://sourceforge.net/p/quakespasm/news/2017/11/quakespasm-0930/

Particularly note that the (recommended) SDL2 version is now just called "quakespasm.exe".

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
FTEQW is by far and away the best quake engine. It can run quake 1, 2, and 3. And hexen 2. It supports every extended limit imaginable. It can run client side quakec, which makes things like custom huds, networking and all sorts of crazy things possible. Spike the developer is always very helpful - sadly the documentation is lacking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXgDwiRwBpY

Plus who doesn't love pretty blue lights?

c0burn fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 20, 2017

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
STRAFE is on sale on Humble Store, if anyone wants that.

I've been playing Chasm The Rift lately.

This is a good video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu19BSDPanQ

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is there any source port for Chasm: The Rift or is it perfectly playable on a Win10 machine?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
There's this, though I don't know how well it works.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I think I tried that source port with the demo once, but it didn't work.

That said, it's probably because I used the demo, not the full game, given, well, I don't own the full game, so

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

will dusk ever come out?

also I did not know there was a sourceport for hexen 2, i'll have to check that out and maybe finally beat hexen 2

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

juggalo baby coffin posted:

will dusk ever come out?

They're saying it should hit before the end of the year.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm a firm believer in Shigeru Miyamoto's maxim that a game is late once but bad forever, so I'm happy to wait.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Regular Nintendo posted:

I thought I was literally the only person who kinda liked this game, albeit as not such a huge syndicate fan

The first Syndicate was okay, but Syndicate Wars was a real improvement. They were never really on the same level as Xcom, but they were meant to be more arcadey isometric shooters, which I liked, so the FPS did deliver to an extend for a fan like me.

Fun fact: most of the people that worked on the game went on to work on the Wolfenstein reboots.

Cat Mattress posted:

If only Roland would make perfect emulators -- I don't mean approximations like Virtual Sound Canvas -- it'd be so great.

Shadow Hog posted:

I mean, that's what Sound Canvas VA is going for, innit? (Different product from Virtual Sound Canvas, apparently.) I've been using it for the better part of a year and I dig it. Kinda wish it had capital tone fallback, though.

I really don't mind the SCVA, but it still can't manage to recreate the same samples from the original hardware. Some of the instruments sound really muffled or missing something.

MariusLecter posted:

Does F.E.A.R. count in the ragdoll discussion? Cause drat were the ragdolls satisfying in that game.

Hell yeah, it does :hfive:

Shooting a dude in slow-motion with a shotgun and watching him turn into red mist or a flying astronaut is pretty rad.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

MDK's free on GOG right now.

I have fond memories of the weirdly humorous Geigeresque visuals, and zooming in with my sniper gun-head from impossibly far away.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I remember my high school friend using it to show off his new 3DFX card.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Uncle Kitchener posted:

The first Syndicate was okay, but Syndicate Wars was a real improvement. They were never really on the same level as Xcom, but they were meant to be more arcadey isometric shooters, which I liked, so the FPS did deliver to an extend for a fan like me.

Fun fact: most of the people that worked on the game went on to work on the Wolfenstein reboots.

Did they? I thought MachineGames was made up of people who left Starbreeze some time between The Darkness and Syndicate?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

catlord posted:

There's this, though I don't know how well it works.

it works very well. plays great, though i'm sort of unsure how to beat the first boss, and i know they're kind of like crazy puzzle deals.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Uncle Kitchener posted:

[derail]*cough* guys check out satellite reign [/derail]

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi

catlord posted:

Did they? I thought MachineGames was made up of people who left Starbreeze some time between The Darkness and Syndicate?

MG was founded by those first people, but after Syndicate was completed more of the Starbreeze people followed them.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFSrKNDNGtQ

Want to feel confused? Check out this Doom mod of Quake Champions weapons and abilities, in a recreation of Quake's e1m6, with Quake monsters in the Doom engine.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If it was Quake 1 on doom engine I'd give it a try but I'm not even a fan of Quake Champions, less so of its weapons wich are drat ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Is this recognizable as an actual Doom wad I can download somewhere? https://i.imgur.com/1sOpkA4.gifv