Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
"We had an character named Mr. Robot,” says Sam Esmail. “One day first season he walked into our office and said, ‘You know that hacker whose dad pushes him out of the window? The one who works at All Safe and has the morphine addiction?’

‘Yeah?’

‘Well,’ said Mr. Robot, ‘doesn’t it make nonsense that he’d also be me, Mr. Robot, or that I, Mr. Robot, am he. Like in that movie Fight Club.’

‘You’re right,’ I said. ‘That does make nonsense.’

‘And what if during the third season we find out that he is his own sister who is also Angela?’

This year, Eliot is everyone on the show.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Mr. Robot is actually Sam Esmail desperately trying to get his characters to advance the plot of his show.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Snak posted:

Mr. Robot is actually Sam Esmail desperately trying to get his characters to advance the plot of his show.

Actually, Elliot's handle right now is samsepiol which is Sam Esmail portmanteau'd with Alex Sepiol (development chief at USA). This appears in a few places, namely the FBI board at the end of season 2.

On to another discussion, can't remember the scene crystal-clear right now, but I was fully expecting for Elliot to be pushed out of/fall out of the skyscraper window when he had his back to it. Logistically I don't know how that would work due to the thickness of the glass but it felt so close.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 21, 2017

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I’m probably in the minority but I enjoyed the show a lot more during season one before the mr robot reveal. It’s still an interesting show but I’m just not a big fan of the fight club stuff.

I know I sound crazy.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

This whole thread has been having a stroke for about three and a half pages.

Forreal loving stfu about Elliot being other characters already gently caress

Well, it's not exactly as if an expectation hasn't been set by Elliot being at least one other character...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

Elliot is clearly Morty. The humour in this show is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Mr Robot’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Mr Robot and Elliot truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Mr Robot’s existential catchphrase “No rest for the wicked,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Sam Esmail’s genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

Actually, I think it is more a reference to the common snarky misquote of 1 Thessalonians, but tomayto tomahto.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

Well, it's not exactly as if an expectation hasn't been set by Elliot being at least one other character...

Right, and doing the same twist again is not very interesting.

It's like if there was a sequel to The Sixth Sense. Would it really make sense to have the same twist?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Season 2 played with that expectation by enabling "Tyrrel is Elliot" theories and making even Elliot himself believe it for a minute

After that I though people would stop expecting then to pull that same trick again

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Snak posted:

Right, and doing the same twist again is not very interesting.

It's like if there was a sequel to The Sixth Sense. Would it really make sense to have the same twist?

No, but I was responding to the guy that was being unpleasant about theorycrafting.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh. Carry on.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The guy being unpleasant about theorycrafting has the exact same response for y'all: doing the same twist again is not very interesting, and posting about Elliot being multiple other characters, despite it making no sense whatsoever, doesn't make me think these are cool interesting theories that came out of careful observation and tenth-dimensional deductions, but more like people don't know how to watch TV (or movies, or read a book, and so on and et al). :buddy:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
E-Coin item. Ringtones? Digital goods probably not limited... since I still redeemed it after the email.

[edit] Dang that one ringtone is bass heavy. The other is... ok? They could have done better here...

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Do people even use ringtones anymore?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Can someone explain these e-mails with prizes I keep seeing you all post about?

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
The rewards are from e-coin rewards.
https://e-coin.com

Finally got a reward! Though it is a ring tone

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

joebuddah posted:

The rewards are from e-coin rewards.
https://e-coin.com

Finally got a reward! Though it is a ring tone

:yossame: cool I guess? Haven't listened to them yet. Though I do like the music in the show.

Anyone run them through a spectrum analyzer yet?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Samizdata posted:

No, but I was responding to the guy that was being unpleasant about theorycrafting.

I'll keep pointing out how certain scenes become totally nonsensical if X person is also Y theories are true, because X person is also Y theories have been run into the ground and are really dumb and embarrassing and that's all they're good for. Do you really think a show that would try to pull that off a second time could be anything other than hilariously bad?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm kinda disappointed that Dom's on-again, off-again girlfriend is an actual human being in this past episode, because it was a lot funnier when I thought she was talking about Alexa.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

In regards to "___ is actually ___" stuff: if it happened again it wouldn't have to be "a twist that they re-used" but instead a gimmick of the show that is the foundation for the story.

My girlfriend is too lazy to post, but her take is that Elliot's dad and Angela's mom both had the opportunity implant themselves in their kids' brains or time travel control them to live out their plan from when they died/moved on to live through them.

Gluten Freeman posted:

I'm kinda disappointed that Dom's on-again, off-again girlfriend is an actual human being in this past episode, because it was a lot funnier when I thought she was talking about Alexa.

In a way, I can't rule out that Dom was making it up. Dom is very charismatic and ruthless so I could see her making it up to seem vulnerable and relatable to Darlene. I may be misremembering, but doesn't this come up after Dom is pissed at Darlene for being mostly useless in moving her investigation along? In that way, maybe Alexa still is her gf, friend. Otherwise, it could be a basic "cop can't balance work and his/her relationships" thing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
That theory of taking over their body is extremely not loving likely because no parent would do that poo poo to their kid. Shoot them, beat them to hell, etc.

[Edit] ok some parents might but I think it’s been established that ACTUAL Elliot’s dad didn’t seem the type.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Pretty nice package!

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Feenix posted:

That theory of taking over their body is extremely not loving likely because no parent would do that poo poo to their kid. Shoot them, beat them to hell, etc.

[Edit] ok some parents might but I think it’s been established that ACTUAL Elliot’s dad didn’t seem the type.

I agree. Mr. Robot looks like Elliot's dad but whether he's from Elliot's mind or another dimension or something, he's not Elliot's dad.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

What if the way the time travel machine worked was by injecting a persona into the mind of a person in the past. Elliot sees mr robot and mr robot is helping enact whiterose’s plan from the future. Elliot thinks he flipping nuts with multiple personality disorder, but in actuality he’s just been being visited by his still living father in an alternate reality future. Maybe in this current timeline Elliot and Angela eventually die at the hands of the fbi or wellick. Whiterose and father are working hard to do this because they want the reality where They’re all alive. I think the female whiterose being from the future while the male whiterose is in the current time frame would make a lot of sense then. As well, maybe that Chinese sandwich eating dude is always in Tyvek suit because he is an arbiter/time machine mechanic.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Feenix posted:

90% of the theories in this thread aren't likely, but here we are.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

“No parent would do that to their kid”, says man who throws his own kid out a window.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Blind Rasputin posted:

“No parent would do that to their kid”, says man who throws his own kid out a window.

Yes. I had a feeling someone would bring that up. Still doesn’t jive with ordering your son to be shot and beating the shot out of him. Wasn’t the window a heated accident?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

The guy being unpleasant about theorycrafting has the exact same response for y'all: doing the same twist again is not very interesting, and posting about Elliot being multiple other characters, despite it making no sense whatsoever, doesn't make me think these are cool interesting theories that came out of careful observation and tenth-dimensional deductions, but more like people don't know how to watch TV (or movies, or read a book, and so on and et al). :buddy:

You know, maybe they are having fun with their theorycrafting, even if it is unsanctioned and unofficial. So where's the harm in that?

Or, sorry, do you have amusement sensitivity that causes you gastric upset? I swear you are about as much fun as Elliott.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Genetic memory implanting. Assassin's Creed with a twist!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Harminoff posted:

I've had like 10 phones in 12 years and every single time I transfer over Liars' "There's Always Room on the Broom" and lmao if you think I'll ever stop doing so. It's the perfect blend of "annoying" and "awesome" and "distinctive".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szPTqWnBKps

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Feenix posted:

Yes. I had a feeling someone would bring that up. Still doesn’t jive with ordering your son to be shot and beating the shot out of him. Wasn’t the window a heated accident?

Referring to Elliot being pushed out of the window as "a heated accident" still isn't great support for "no parent would do that to their kid." Elliot's dad is an adult and should have self-control.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Harminoff posted:

Forever :colbert: (just without the talking)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc6jqO_o7Yk&t=8s

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The Sean posted:

Referring to Elliot being pushed out of the window as "a heated accident" still isn't great support for "no parent would do that to their kid." Elliot's dad is an adult and should have self-control.

And conflating “one time a bad accident happened” with “dad is malicious towards and wishes harm on his son” seems equally unsupported. Just saying. I don’t see the link. It’s a big stretch.

It’s much more likely that because of that one heated accident Elliot’s manifestation of dad is so ruthless.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Dom is Alexa and she's sentient

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Dom was my favorite character last season. This season they aren't giving her much to do.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

precision posted:

I've had like 10 phones in 12 years and every single time I transfer over Liars' "There's Always Room on the Broom" and lmao if you think I'll ever stop doing so. It's the perfect blend of "annoying" and "awesome" and "distinctive".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szPTqWnBKps

For a while I used the Crank (as in, the one from the movie Crank) ringtone, which other people really didn't like.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

For a while I used the Crank (as in, the one from the movie Crank) ringtone, which other people really didn't like.

I still use the crank ringtone. It’s the best ringtone ever made.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
drat...that's no way to treat a caddy.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Gloria Reuben is such a smoke show. More of her pls.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Hahahahaha Joey Badass is wearing his sunglasses because the eclipse hosed up his eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
God bless this show for bringing back the Night Rider theme song.

• Locked thread