Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Welcome to Mafia Gear Solid Mafia, a mafia game for 19 players with flavour from Metal Gear Solid, the finest cinematic gaming series in history.

Metal Gear?!
The brainchild of Hideo Kojima, each of the five MGS games sees you take on the role of Snake, a super-skilled soldier on a mission to save the world from a robotic nuclear threat.

If you want to know about the Metal Gear background, go here and spend a week.

Not just a simple shoot'em up, the Metal Gear Solid series considers themes such as what it's like to be a soldier, the nature of war, how information is controlled in society and what it means to be free.

The storylines for the MGS games can be ridiculously complicated, reflected to a limited extent in this setup. As a simpler way of thinking about MGS, I once read that Kojima hates nukes and likes sexy ladies. That covers most of the series.

This game is generally set in the storylines covered by MGS1, 2 and 4.

Mafia?!
Mafia is a game where an uninformed majority (the town) try and find the faction of informed killers (the mafia, or scum). It's about reading people, gauging reactions and manipulating them to your team's advantage.

This is a role madness game, in that every player will have more things to do than just post and vote. Having said that, posting is the most important part of any game. Use actions to help your game, but be warned, relying solely on night actions will hurt your team.

Should I play?
MGS is a fun franchise and this game will be too. The setup is far less complex than what Kojima would make, so there's really nothing to be afraid of.

Discord
I may be trying something new and using Discord for parts of this game. If you don't have access to Discord, please let me know.

Rules
  • Days are at least 24 hours long, starting and ending around 12PM ADST (8pm US Eastern). If I resolve actions quickly enough I'll open up the thread early.
  • Don’t intentionally post between hammer and flip unless it's a great post in which case do it.
  • Votes will be majority of players to hammer (days can end in a no hang).
  • As befits a Metal Gear Solid game, everyone has a role. The characters can do cool things, and so can you!
  • Non-town players may have been given fake flavour.
  • No editing posts. Make a clarification in a new post.
  • Don’t directly quote mod PMs. If you have any questions throughout the game, PM me.
  • Have fun, and :justpost:

Mafia Role FAQ: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Roles

birdstrike fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

1. b-minus1
  2. BottleKnight
  3. CCKeane
  4. flerp
  5. GeneX
  6. Infinitum
  7. Jonathan Fisk
  8. MysticalMachineGun
  9. NevergirlsOFFICIAL
  10. Podima
  11. Retro Futurist
  12. Revolver Anidav
  13. SalTheBard
  14. SirSamVimes
  15. St Evan Echoes
  16. STONE COLD 64
  17. Tired Moritz
  18. Xad
  19. Your Personal Muse

birdstrike fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 27, 2017

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
hell yeah

Revolver Anidav
Feb 12, 2016

"Diamond Dogs? They're pretty good...

But they've got nothing on my doooooooooooooooog...."
Will Otacon have a daypiss ability?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
No Revengeance? :negative:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I need scissors! 61!

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I wont play but I'll be around if you need a replacement. If you're not gonna do replacing, then put me in spec chat.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I need scissors! 61!

Did you say 'Nerd'?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this will take two weeks to fill so sign me up friendo

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

STONE COLD 64 posted:

this will take two weeks to fill so sign me up friendo

That's the plan

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

put me in

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

please

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
gently caress yes I’m in

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
ok yeah

someone get bif in here too

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Metal...gear!?

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
:ninja:

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

fixing your lovely embed (gifv doesn't work, and only sissy weak babies use timg)

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Podima posted:

fixing your lovely embed (gifv doesn't work, and only sissy weak babies use timg)

The blood stays on the blade

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Podima posted:

ok yeah

someone get bif in here too

I'm still on a break but Birb said I couldn't sign up anyway!! :mad:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Make the biggest weeb in the game Otacon.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
This will be just like one of my Japanese animes!!!!

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Tired Moritz posted:

Make the biggest weeb in the game Otacon.

How would you be able to choose in a game of goons?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Bifauxnen posted:

I'm still on a break but Birb said I couldn't sign up anyway!! :mad:

Colonel! We managed to avoid drowning!

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990
Plug your PM into Mod port 2. If you do that he won't be able to read your mind!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

okay yes if there are spots still available, i think 80s VHS is probably gonna wrap up soon anyway

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Xad posted:

How would you be able to choose in a game of goons?

Most recent post in ADTRW

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'm out despite posting a few times. That hammer time is pretty much straight after I get back from the gym so I wouldn't be around for the final voting most days.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'm out despite posting a few times. That hammer time is pretty much straight after I get back from the gym so I wouldn't be around for the final voting most days.

I could make hammer before you go to the gym?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Midday eastern?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I could do that

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Midday EST is going to be tough for me since I can't really mafia from work, sorry. I can bow out for MMG in observance of clear Aussie superiority though!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
unless you were talking australia eastern time or some nonsense

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I can and will mafia from work so midday Eastern works really well for me

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

St Evan Echoes posted:

I can and will mafia from work so midday Eastern works really well for me

It would be midday Sydney time.

Alternatively I could throw it back to 3pm Sydney / 11pm? US

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If I might make a bold suggestion here let's just not lurk all day and then get a hundred posts in just before deadline. If we can do that then it really doesn't matter when deadline is

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Retro Futurist posted:

If I might make a bold suggestion here let's just not lurk all day and then get a hundred posts in just before deadline. If we can do that then it really doesn't matter when deadline is

:hfive:

Earlier or later work for me, it's just 2PM Sydney time runs smack dab into that awkward timeframe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Birdstrike posted:

It would be midday Sydney time.

Alternatively I could throw it back to 3pm Sydney / 11pm? US

this is good!

Retro Futurist posted:

:ironicat: (but no I am into this)

• Locked thread