Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Anta posted:

What's it made of?

Poop.

It's a big space monster coprolite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Anta posted:

What's it made of?

Probably we will never know for sure. It looks a lot like a dense, possibly rocky or even metallic asteroid and its surface is vaguely red thanks to cosmic ray impacts in its voyage between the stars.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Saros posted:

Probably we will never know for sure. It looks a lot like a dense, possibly rocky or even metallic asteroid and its surface is vaguely red thanks to cosmic ray impacts in its voyage between the stars.

We'll keep Bruce Willis on standby.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Saros posted:

Space monster had space Crohn's disease.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Obviously it's a huge mass driver round fired eons ago.
:zaeed:

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Saros posted:

Forgive me if this is a stupid question and you are unable to answer but do you have any idea on why that asteroid is formed in such a shape? It is quite fascinating reading about it but other than a tiny snippet in BBC news I haven't had much chance to read about it.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

koolkevz666 posted:

Forgive me if this is a stupid question and you are unable to answer but do you have any idea on why that asteroid is formed in such a shape? It is quite fascinating reading about it but other than a tiny snippet in BBC news I haven't had much chance to read about it.
"When two iron-nickel asteroids love each other very much..."

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

koolkevz666 posted:

Not really, that's one of the reasons it's so weird. Pretty much all that can be done is speculate on some sort of unusual set of circumstances that would give rise to it.

Check these links for the facts that are known and you can read the abstracts of the quoted articles fairly easily.

https://www.nasa.gov/planetarydefense/faq/interstellar
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/solar-system-s-first-interstellar-visitor-dazzles-scientists

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Is a Rendezvous with Rama style probe fly-by a possibility? It seems like a hell of an opportunity for a ridiculous mission profile just to get a good look.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Bet it was made entirely out of TNEs, we gotta get ready for the next one!

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 22, 2017

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Remnant from planet killer confirmed?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yooper posted:

Is a Rendezvous with Rama style probe fly-by a possibility? It seems like a hell of an opportunity for a ridiculous mission profile just to get a good look.

Not likely. We were scrambling just to even get a look at it.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Synthbuttrange posted:

Not likely. We were scrambling just to even get a look at it.

Yeah. This thing is rapidly exiting the solar system. We can barely see it anymore as is.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

9 Jan, 0654hrs

Its that time you've all been waiting for! Time to meet The Pit Aliens (still need a name) face to uh... face-equivalent?

Warspite has it 'easy' despite her damage and casualties.

Only a half dozen armored aliens cut their way through her hull and come tearing into the interior. Her internal security systems and *ahem* 'redshirts' are ready.

The aliens are monstrous things in their powered armor. Flat, measuring up to three meter across and two long but standing no taller than waist height on the average human. Several (biological looking?) manipulator tentacles hang from the underneath of their suits but no larger limbs are apparent. They surge forward without obvious motive means, wide bodies tearing up the narrow corridors of the Martian vessel.

Heavily armed with a large variety of powerful weapons including kinetic, plasma, lasers and some sort of micro-missiles and wrapped in what appears to be personnel sized defensive shields they set upon the defenders. The Security teams are heavily emplaced and the exchange of fire is brief but incredibly intense. Forced to advance one at a time down the corridors into killing zones and in unfamiliar territory the Aliens are at huge disadvantage but over twenty combat drones are destroyed and four crew members are killed before the last alien collapses and stops moving.

Unfortunately all seem to be rigged with some sort of suicide device and as they die they explode tearing chunks out of the ship and another seven crew are killed by the blasts. Warspite's rugged construction and internal compartmentalisation allow her to avoid any critical systems failing and damage control teams rush in to assess the damage.

Things are going less well on Postmodern Firing Solutions.

Twenty-two alien boarders and seven smaller drones have breached her hull. Her internal security complement is fighting bravely but reports are confused and the aliens appear to have over-run one of her fortified points around the breach zone and a handful are loose within the ship proper... Several aliens are down already with the resultant explosions but it is becoming apparent the aliens have a significant weaponry and technological edge and with larger numbers of boarders here they are able to focus firepower to overwhelm the defenders at critical points.

The Fleet turn their weapons towards the Postmodern Firing Solutions and Scavy131 grimly arms the self-destruct.

Saros fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 22, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Motion to call our ground troops "redshirts" from now on

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Motion to call our ground troops "redshirts" from now on

Red like the iron-infused soil of Mother Mars, to symbolize their iron resolve!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Bring me my brown pants!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If we lose a ship to robotic flatworms I'm going to be very disappointed.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Told you these guys were assholes.
Everything about their behavior and tactics so far indicate supreme aggression. We have to EAT their territory!

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 22, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

OwlFancier posted:

If we lose a ship to robotic flatworms I'm going to be very disappointed.

They sound more like tentacle crabs to me. Craaaaab peeeeoopplleee

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Vel'koz, what are you doing here?

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUke1DeEowc

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Zaodai posted:

Vel'koz, what are you doing here?

nah

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

:captainpop:

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Whoah - nice!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

9 Jan, 0709hrs

It takes fifteen minutes (three combat rounds) of brutal and tense hunting through the ship but eventually the last of the intruders is accounted for in the expected explosion and the crew can start to relax slightly. With thirty-two casualties and some internal damage Postmodern Firing Solutions is judged to be still combat capable and rejoins the cruiser squadrons.

9 Jan, 0832hrs

The transit to the outgoing jump point takes an hour an a half and as they approach within three million km the fine resolution sensors of the Ark royal's pick up a single contact lingering just off the jump point. It is the damaged Imp class that fled the initial battle off the comet.

The ships close rapidly with no response from the Imp, it shows no signs of running its active sensors so likely does not even know they are there.

As the ships close within 250k km the Imp suddenly turns and makes for the jump point at 6000kps.

Worried it will escape the fleet starts taking long range potshots and a few weak hits land with no result except some damaged armor.

As the ships close they continue to fire. The Imp stops at the jump point and begins emitting the low frequency pulses that originally drew the Martians towards the Comet.

After thirty seconds or so of slow pulsing the emission strength spikes and the Imp explodes violently, another self destruct similar to the Naga's and the boarders from the looks of it.

9 Jan, 0909hrs

-The cruisers and destroyers are guarding the jump point.
-Farseeker is heading for the outer system jump point theorised to head back to Terran space.
-The support ships are assembling at the innermost planet.
-The damaged Warships are heading for the support ships to repair as much as possible before rejoining the jump point blockade.
-The dozen survey ships are still performing geological surveys in the inner system.

The Cornucopia is still most of a day out from the comet.

9 Jan, 1049hrs

Repairs are ongoing on the damaged ships.

Triton fleet is mobilising!

... and in Sol word has reached High command. Between the Terran reports and the escalating situation in The Pit they are taking no chances and are assigning Mars's most modern and powerful close combat ships to reinforce the Exploration fleet.

The First Dreadnought Division

The Ranginui class is a modification of the Hellas Dreadnought design for jump point assault. It sacrifices its missile suite in favor of more armor and fitting a massive alien jump drive capable of carrying it's two companion dreadnoughts through a combat jump.

code:
Ranginui class Jump Dreadnought    17,000 tons     526 Crew     3371.2 BP      TCS 340  TH 1382  EM 1740
4064 km/s    JR 3-50     Armour 9-58     Shields 58-300     Sensors 28/28/0/0     Damage Control Rating 28     PPV 54
Maint Life 1.56 Years     MSP 992    AFR 289%    IFR 4%    1YR 466    5YR 6994    Max Repair 345.6 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 6 months    Spare Berths 2    
Flag Bridge    

J20000(3-50) Collaboration Recovered Military Jump Drive     Max Ship Size 20000 tons    Distance 50k km     Squadron Size 3
SpaceX Dreadnought 691.2 EP Ion Drive (2)    Power 691.2    Fuel Use 49.21%    Signature 691.2    Exp 12%
Fuel Capacity 550,000 Litres    Range 11.8 billion km   (33 days at full power)
Triton Yard Delta R300/360 Shields (23)   Total Fuel Cost  345 Litres per hour  (8,280 per day)

Orion 15cm C3 Far Ultraviolet Laser (8)    Range 300,000km     TS: 5000 km/s     Power 6-3     RM 5    ROF 10
Triton Yard 45cm C3 Far Ultraviolet Spinal Ion Cannon (1)    Range 320,000km     TS: 5000 km/s     Power 53-3     RM 5    ROF 90
Triton Yard R9/C3 High Power Microwave (2)    Range 90,000km     TS: 5000 km/s     Power 6-3     RM 9    ROF 10
Olympos Fire Control S02 160-5000 H50 (2)    Max Range: 320,000 km   TS: 5000 km/s
CSL Gas-Cooled Fast Reactor Technology PB-1.2 (11)     Total Power Output 35.64    Armour 0    Exp 16%

Olympos Active Search Sensor MR105-R80 (1)     GPS 6720     Range 105.2m km    Resolution 80
Olympos Active Search Sensor MR5-R1 (1)     GPS 42     Range 5.9m km    MCR 640k km    Resolution 1
Safran Thermal Sensor TH2-28 (1)     Sensitivity 28     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  28m km
Safran EM Detection Sensor EM2-28 (1)     Sensitivity 28     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  28m km

ECCM-2 (1)         ECM 20
:siren:I need a snap vote on whether/how to scout the far side of the unknown jump point.

A: Once the damaged ships return send the whole fleet in a combat jump before returning to blockade the jump point.
B: Send a single scout or a scout plus a companion through the jump point and await it's return.
C: Do not scout the far side - await reinforcements.

Saros fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 22, 2017

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

B

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
C. A scout jumping will just result in readied defenders on the other side. Jumping en masse will probably put our ships at the explodey end of missiles.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

B Don't want our sailors going space crazy from too many warp jumps. The scout should be a pair of survey fighters since we didn't build any jump capable fighters and the mk2 Fangs have smaller sensors than even the Tangaroas.

2 so that 1 can report back immediately if the JP is clear and the other one can picket the far side.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 22, 2017

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

B

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Oh and if you are on this list and not commanding the Farseeker I am going to need for someone to put their hand up to scout the far system if the vote goes that way.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
C

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

The tangaroas are expendable enough for me. Send one through with orders to come back ASAP. If it does, then park a Gale on the other side to watch for incoming while we complete salvage ops.

Hessi
Oct 28, 2010
B
A survey ship with a Gale fleet scout would be my choice.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Hessi posted:

B
A survey ship with a Gale fleet scout would be my choice.

How many Gales do we have anyways? We just sent one to the far side of the system.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

LLSix posted:

B Don't want our sailors going space crazy from too many warp jumps. The scout should be a pair of survey fighters since we didn't build any jump capable fighters and the mk2 Fangs have smaller sensors than even the Tangaroas.

2 so that 1 can report back immediately if the JP is clear and the other one can picket the far side.

This

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

C. A scout jumping will just result in readied defenders on the other side. Jumping en masse will probably put our ships at the explodey end of missiles.

Can you elaborate on this? Do the pit aliens not know we're in the adjacent system?

I guess that makes sense, we at least don't have FTL communication so word doesn't reach our command unless a ship jumps and then communicates normally, but on the other hand they did send in that giant carrier after us. I'll vote c for now, though giving a brave goon the opportunity to go in alone sounds pretty tempting.

We now probably know that the imp class doesn't have a jump drive on it, which isn't surprising given the role it was in when we encountered it.

Rawkking fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 22, 2017

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
B - It might sacrifice a ship but if it does not come back we know enemies are waiting for us, at which point we wait for the Dreadnoughts.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Honestly what we're hearing might be interstellar communications.

Best case scenario there is just one Imp on the other side = Send something that can defeat an imp alongside a scout.

Anything beyond best case scenario means we waste strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Saros posted:

B: Send a single scout or a scout plus a companion through the jump point and await it's return.
Eh, what could possibly go wrong.

Saros posted:

Oh and if you are on this list and not commanding the Farseeker I am going to need for someone to put their hand up to scout the far system if the vote goes that way.
+/- madmen
:getin: