Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

“As the giant beasts march toward death, the last hope is a scavenger named Rex—and Pyra, a living weapon known as a Blade. Can you find the fabled paradise she calls home? Command a group of Blades and lead them to countless strategic victories before the world ends. Each Titan hosts its own distinct cultures, wildlife, and diverse regions to explore. Search the vast open areas and labyrinthine corridors for treasure, secret paths, and creatures to battle and index. During these escapades you'll get to know a large cast of eclectic characters, including the weaponized life forms known as Blades. Gather these allies, bond with them to increase their power, and utilize their special arts to devastate enemies. But to save the world of Alrest, you must first demystify its cloudy past.” From Nintendo

Monolith Software’s latest entry in their flagship JRPG series Xenoblade Chronicles arrives exclusively on the Nintendo Switch globally at December 1st, 2017. Xenoblade 2 has the same general style as the previous two games with a massive overworld to explore and real-time MMO-esque combat, but now the combat has been modified to be more streamlined with buttons mapped to specific arts ala Persona 5 and a big focus on combo moves between party members. The story itself seems to take more queues from the original Xenoblade with a linear story and consistent cast of playable characters in contrast to the more open-world non-linear structure of Xenoblade X. Fans of the original that didn’t like the direction X took can feel more confidant that 2 might be something they’ll enjoy. Although the game has no direct ties to 1 or X, at least initially, and you don’t need to play either game to understand this one, I personally feel like there may end up being stronger connections to Xenoblade 1 near the end of the game. So, I would suggest either playing it yourself (it’s pretty good imo) or learning about it some other way. Just my opinion though.

Combat i.e. Drowning in Numbers and Anime

A common concern I’ve seen about the pre-release info for the game was how overwhelming the combat seemed with a bunch of different systems and numbers and what not. Undoubtedly, when you actually play the game, those systems will be introduced gradually in the beginning of the game, but I do want to give my understanding of what’s going on for those who want a general idea before buying.

First thing is that your party is made up of up to three “drivers” each with up to three of their own “blades.” Basically, the drivers are the actual characters you can play as while the blades give the drivers powers and abilities. The combat itself fits into a fairly simple framework that might not be immediately apparent. The combat revolves around using your basic attacks to charge up special attacks and in turn to charge up even more special attacks and so on.

To be more specific when you begin a battle, your character automatically performs basic attacks against the enemy. A change from previous games is that characters no longer attack while moving. This leads to precise positioning being more important since auto attacks are done in a combo with later hits doing more damage. Performing auto attacks charges your driver arts which are basically your standard RPG skill/spells. They each have their own special effects, but using them also charges your special art. Your special art is a strong elemental attack tied to a specific blade that can be charged to four different levels. You can use your special by itself or combo off your party members specials (you control when they use them too) to deal massive damage and limit an enemy’s abilities. Performing this elemental combo also places an elemental orb on them which gives them elemental resistance, but leads to the next step of the cycle. A mechanic called the “chain gauge” builds up over time in three blocks. You can use one block to revive party members or all three to start a chain attack. Chain attacks in Xenoblade 2 allow you to stop time and use your party’s specials to break the elemental orb with opposing elements and deal even more damage. The link between auto-attacks, arts, specials, and chain attacks is the framework for Xenoblade 2’s battle system.

Hopefully, that explains the general idea of how the battle system works. If you understand that, the other parts like specific art abilities and stats should fit into place. Also, you can switch between the three blades your character has equipped when their gauges have filled and doing so equips that blade changig the arts, special, and stats your characters has.

Here's a good post about the battle system that someone wrote now that the game has been released

Tyma posted:

A Super Quick Guide To Big Numbers

There are 14 types of weapon, and each type has it's own auto-attack animation and timing. Each Weapon type has a total of 4 Arts, and you can select which 3 of them are active on the “Enhance Arts” menu.

Landing an auto attack builds up a tiny bit of Meter on all 3 arts, and also the Special Art. When an Art's meter is full, you can cast it. Casting an art in the middle of an attack animation will award a larger amount a larger amount of meter than the auto-attack normally would (this is known in-game as “cancelling an auto-attack”). Casting it during the 'final' attack of the animation cycle will award even more meter again.

-

Driver Combos

Your A button is always Special Art, and inflicts damage based on the element of your weapon. You can activate it as soon as it fills to launch a Level 1 Special Art, or let it continue to build through to Level 3. Once it maxes out at Level 3, the Special meter stops charging, and can only reach Level 4 by standing close enough to your Blade that the umbilical chord connecting you begins to glow.

In Xenoblade 2, BIG NUMBERS are achieved by performing Special Arts in sequence, to create a Driver Combo. If you play as Rex, equip Pyra, and cast a Level 1 Special art. Rex will cast a Fire-based Special Art (called Heat), and begin the combo. You should now see a little table appear in the top right of the screen : The table shows the four possible Driver Combos that the party can now complete.

#1 : Fire – Fire – Fire (Seal Self Destruct)
#2 : Fire – Fire – Earth (Seal Affinity Down)
#3 : Fire – Water – Fire (Seal Self Destruct)
#4 : Fire – Water – Ice (Seal Shackle Blade)

Assuming you have Mia in your party, and few Blades to choose from, Combo #3 is the easiest one to aim for. To pull off this combo, we need to begin with a Fire-based Special Art (which we've done), and follow it up for a Level 2 Special Art (Water), and finish with a Level 3 Special Art (Fire). You'll also see a bar appear in the not right, with the name of the Special Art (in this case, Heat) appearing on it. This bar represents the amount of time you have to cast the next Special Art in the combo.

Assuming Mia has her default Blade equipped, her Avatar will pop up in the middle of the screen, along with the name of a Special Art. This means she wants to cast that Special Art in order to continue the combo, and is currently trying to build meter, in order to cast it. When she has enough meter, an “LZ” or “RZ” button prompt will appear next to her name. Pressing the relevant button will cast her Special Art, and continue the combo.

If all goes well, the Heat bar will be replaced by a new bar representing the spell Mia cast, and the table in the top-right will change, to show that Combo #1 and Combo #2 are off the table, and the party needs to cast a Fire or Ice Special Art, in order to pull off a Driver Combo. In theory, Rex should be able to build up a Level 3 or Level 4 meter in time, and can use that to cast 'Steam Explosion', and make BIG NUMBERS appear.

Your party members won't blow their Special Arts until you tell them to, but if at any point you cast a Special Art which is too low-level to advance the combo, then it just won't advance, and you'll have to start again from scratch.

Whenever a party member's avatar pops up in the relevant spot on-screen, it means they have the correct Blade equipped to perform the next stage of a possible Driver Combo, and the ZL/ZR prompt means they have enough bar to execute the Special Art right now. If the avatar isn't showing, then it means the weapon they currently have equipped cannot participate in the current combo. When you have no combo currently on-going, they should both pop up on-screen, and you can actually use the ZL/ZR buttons to command them to cast Level 1 Special Arts, in order to begin completely different Driver Combos. As the game gets going, the possibilities become ridiculous, and the bonus effects associated with each Driver combo (such as sealing arts) becomes a really big deal.

Collecting and Customizing i.e. Managing your own hype squad

As with most any RPG, battle is only half the… battle. The other half being customizing and upgrading your characters. As said before, each driver gets three blades, and those blades determines what arts and stats the driver has when equipped. Each blade (and driver) also has their own skill tree (skill being passive abilities in this game) that is unlocked as you perform certain objectives (like kill certain enemies, perform certain arts, etc.) to power them up.

Being the central way of customizing your characters both in battle and cosmetically (there’s no visible equipment changes like in previous games), there is a significant amount of blades to mix and match to create your own perfect anime hype squad. The blade designs have actually come from a variety of different artists including people who have worked on Final Fantasy and Tales of games. This leads to a rather… robust and colorful selection of potential minions.

Music
It’s ok you tasteless nerds, Hiroyuki Sawano who did the music for Xenoblade X didn’t do 2. They got ACE back. Either way the music’s still pretty tight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od6QApjpkXo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa2PH7zQVmU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5g4uIfAKqo

Trailers and stuff

Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjpao-nD5YU

Nintendo Direct
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hb0KmH2WBQ

Gameplay videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW_REqB8vbc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s49dktg5_8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W7ROTyWFQs

Poppi!
]
https://i.imgur.com/92HilQM.gifv

Sam Faust fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Reserved for other stuff. Maybe? I don't know.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

But are you REALLY feelin it?

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Glad they went back to the three tiered party gauge for revives and chain attacks from 1, rather than the individual gauges and overdrive from X. To this day I'm still not really sure what overdrive does. Game never explained poo poo.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Is it Reyn time yet?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I'm very excited for this, the blades look really cool (mostly)

To get in the spirit of things, should I play XB1 3D, or XBX? I own both but never got far in either :saddowns:

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

CuddlyZombie posted:

I'm very excited for this, the blades look really cool (mostly)

To get in the spirit of things, should I play XB1 3D, or XBX? I own both but never got far in either :saddowns:

X has some mixed reception but I'm a big fan of it. If you don't mind reading through a big in game manual to figure out combat, you might like it. The 3D version of XB doesn't look too hot, but if that doesn't bother you go for it.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

This game is the main reason I bought a Switch, I'm so ready.

Tooling around in Mario & Rabbids in the meantime

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Thread not titled Knifefuckers Inc

0/10

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
So are the additional collectaible blades are actually different characters or just collectibles with attached JPEGs? The vaguely Amano drawing in the first image has me curious as to how they'll codify it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hi I heard this game was anime

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sakurazuka posted:

Hi I heard this game was anime

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I am actually looking forward to this :shobon:

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

Bae Blades

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

LostRook posted:

So are the additional collectaible blades are actually different characters or just collectibles with attached JPEGs? The vaguely Amano drawing in the first image has me curious as to how they'll codify it.

I don't think they have any story significance, but they all do have in game models when you summon them. The drawings are just concept or menu art for what you get in game. Think more along the lines of pokemon or persona.

drat, this one's really good.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Sam Faust posted:

X has some mixed reception but I'm a big fan of it. If you don't mind reading through a big in game manual to figure out combat, you might like it. The 3D version of XB doesn't look too hot, but if that doesn't bother you go for it.

By big manual, do you mean the manual all wii u games come with or a set of in game tutorials?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Xenoblade X’s music ranged from woeful to beautiful. The day and night music in the city was disgusting but some of the overworld tracks, particularly Sylvalum, were amazing.

Anyway I never finished that game due to the crappy level requirements for the main stuff.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

CuddlyZombie posted:

By big manual, do you mean the manual all wii u games come with or a set of in game tutorials?

The Wii U manual which you can actually access directly from the in game menu and is really big. The game will put you through some basic tutorials, but for a lot of the specific details you gotta read it yourself.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Sam Faust posted:

The Wii U manual which you can actually access directly from the in game menu and is really big. The game will put you through some basic tutorials, but for a lot of the specific details you gotta read it yourself.

Got it, thanks!

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
fake edit: drat, people already brought up the manual

Jimmybob posted:

Glad they went back to the three tiered party gauge for revives and chain attacks from 1, rather than the individual gauges and overdrive from X. To this day I'm still not really sure what overdrive does. Game never explained poo poo.

Overdrive actually has a large section in the manual that explains a bunch of it's specific poo poo.

I know I know, who reads manuals in 2015 etc. The game is weird in that it has a lot of complicated, complex, and specific things all very different from the first game, with most of it not explained within the game at all*. But then you get the manual which is fairly dense and explains a ton of poo poo. It's just strange since the first game gave plenty of pop-up tutorials for everything.

*maybe there's a shitton of expository npcs out there that I never found, game's huge man

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Maybe I'm just hearing things, but I noticed something interesting when I was listening to the boss battle music. (Mild Xenoblade 1 spoilers) The boss battle theme seems to have bits from XB1 themes. Compare these two parts in particular for a clear example: https://youtu.be/pa2PH7zQVmU?t=126 and https://youtu.be/v6xQyJlt7EE?t=40

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I think the OST to xenoblade chronicles x was actually pretty dope. Do I need to play the first Xenoblade to know what the hell is going on with this one?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope this game never comes out, and they just keep announcing new Blades forever.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

TFRazorsaw posted:

But are you REALLY feelin it?

No honestly I'm not.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I think the OST to xenoblade chronicles x was actually pretty dope. Do I need to play the first Xenoblade to know what the hell is going on with this one?

Probably not. There will probably some more pointless references to the original but nothing that you actually need to know.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Sam Faust posted:

I played through all of XB3D, it's perfectly serviceable. It runs a lot better than you'd expect! The visuals aren't super great but you're playing on a small phone-sized screen anyway with a vertical resolution of 240 pixels so I think the visual downgrade can be forgiven. Though, if XBX is on the table, then the original Wii version of XBC is likely an option too from the eShop.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

Though, if XBX is on the table, then the original Wii version of XBC is likely an option too from the eShop.

It'd be great if they both showed up on the eShop, although how the dual-screen aspect of XBX would work with the Switch...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If equipment doesn't change a character's appearance hopefully it has cosmetic outfits like in Tales at the least. The MC and his waifu need some less-awful clothing.

:five:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

gently caress :stare:.

That seriously needs to be the thread title.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Nope. Although this is probably more of a spiritual sequel to Xenoblade Chronicles than XCX was (which honestly had zero connection to Chronicles) the only real things in common besides gameplay are pretty much Nopons and the "we live on the backs of huge beasts" theme.

Good job on the OP :thumbsup:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
There is also this Character trailer here that reveals a bit more story stuff. Cavet Emptor if you are particularly spoileraphopic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygax_f4e5a8

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

gently caress :stare:.

That seriously needs to be the thread title.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Crap, I just looked up this game is about 13GB. I hope there is a good SD card for sale this week.

Someone has confirmed to me that this game's soundtrack is better than Nier: Automata, which I find full of poo poo. Please confirm or deny.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

I was on the fence about this game because I wasn't sure if it would have the charm I felt XC1 did, and this gif pushed me onto the "preorder" side of said fence because of their reactions to that. I am looking forward to fun exploration and a hopefully goofy cast.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
So here's my guess: Torna is actually the name of the first dead Titan, and the villains of the same name want the Aegis to bring it back somehow, but it's some way that prioritizes them or fucks the rest of the world or something, and Pyra's goal is to fix the world nicely.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I bought a Wii for Xenoblade Chronicles
I bought a Wii U for Xenoblade Chronicles X
Will I buy a Switch for Xenoblade Chronicles 2?

Yup.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

requesting bae blades gang tag

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kris xK posted:

I bought a Wii for Xenoblade Chronicles
I bought a Wii U for Xenoblade Chronicles X
Will I buy a Switch for Xenoblade Chronicles 2?

Yup.

me too man, me too.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
No visible clothing changes sucks hard. I loving hate the main guy's pants so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

snoremac posted:

Xenoblade X’s music ranged from woeful to beautiful. The day and night music in the city was disgusting but some of the overworld tracks, particularly Sylvalum, were amazing.

Anyway I never finished that game due to the crappy level requirements for the main stuff.

XCX had so many great songs and you heard maybe 10% of the soundtrack on a regular basis playing the game :(