Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Carbon dioxide posted:

Remember, http://viz.wtf/ is THE goto tumblr for awful graphs. You can submit stuff there, too. Or just post it here.
:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

It is true, as a 1m95 dude I am in constant fear of crushing the 1m50 people who are like 1/10th my height.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

You have to admire their optimism.

"This year, THIS YEAR, people will finally moderate their energy consumption"

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You have to admire their optimism.

"This year, THIS YEAR, people will finally moderate their energy consumption"

it’s just solar capacity added, so it’s the slightly less noble optimism https://steinbuch.wordpress.com/2017/06/12/photovoltaic-growth-reality-versus-projections-of-the-international-energy-agency/

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Like loving every other source of information in this day and age, critics accuse the IEA who projected the data in that graph of being mostly controlled by the industries they're supposed to supervise.

In particular they constantly underestimate renewables production capacity, instead suggesting sequestration and nuclear as the only viable solutions to climate change.

Probably that graph was created by an aggrieved greenie who views them exactly that way.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Tree Goat posted:

i know everybody's tired of these so this is the last one, i promise

Is that supposed to be Grimes or am I missing someone named exactly the same minus the "s"?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

No Safe Word posted:

Is that supposed to be Grimes or am I missing someone named exactly the same minus the "s"?

It's a genre, you philistine.

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

Tree Goat posted:

aren't "nightcore" and "the EDM furries like" the same thing?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

noether posted:

aren't "nightcore" and "the EDM furries like" the same thing?

Horshoe theory

Ron Paul is secretly Stalin

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Someone actually made that. Like wasted upwards of an hour on that.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's a funny joke graph.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

ikanreed posted:

Like loving every other source of information in this day and age, critics accuse the IEA who projected the data in that graph of being mostly controlled by the industries they're supposed to supervise.

In particular they constantly underestimate renewables production capacity, instead suggesting sequestration and nuclear as the only viable solutions to climate change.

Probably that graph was created by an aggrieved greenie who views them exactly that way.
Doubt it, the greenies tend to be terrified of nuclear power

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The Simpsons did more to set back nuclear power than the coal and oil companies ever did :argh:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Tumblr of scotch posted:

Doubt it, the greenies tend to be terrified of nuclear power

Yeah that's the point. The org in question says those things, and the greenies hate it and want to point out that renewables alone might be good enough

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I was trying to make a trend line happen.

...Trend line will never be a thing?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WrenP-Complete posted:

It's trending towards chaos :kheldragar:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

WrenP-Complete posted:

Something about Olympics?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Olympic symbol from the year 40,000 when there are countless occupied world.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only sport.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

WrenP-Complete posted:

Someone should take better care of keeping their rainbow loom bands in order.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

WrenP-Complete posted:

THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE THE TARGET IS IN RANGE

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only sport.

https://www.sbnation.com/a/17776-football (not a graph but a (visual/) story thing.)

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Carbon dioxide posted:

https://www.sbnation.com/a/17776-football (not a graph but a (visual/) story thing.)

Dude I have to go to work, why are you showing me this?
I'm too far in to quit and there's no way I'm taking a break from it.
gently caress.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Carbon dioxide posted:

You know, I saw this, saw the post below it, prepared myself for whatever and clicked the link.

I don't know what this is, but I wasn't prepared for it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

trapped mouse posted:

You know, I saw this, saw the post below it, prepared myself for whatever and clicked the link.

It's one of the best science fiction stories I've read in a long time, and such a good use of its medium.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

how are there people in the internet in TYOOL 2017 that hasnt read 17776? :psyduck:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HardDiskD posted:

how are there people in the internet in TYOOL 2017 that hasnt read 17776? :psyduck:

Hello.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jeebus bob posted:

Dude I have to go to work, why are you showing me this?
I'm too far in to quit and there's no way I'm taking a break from it.
gently caress.

trapped mouse posted:

:allears:

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

HardDiskD posted:

Sorry not everyone is you?

I was glad I got to read that.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I can't get over the queer pie-graph, possibly because I got 10 Queer Points and considered myself pretty normal? Am I obliged to be part of the Queer Community now?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mr. Belpit posted:

I was glad I got to read that.

Jon Bois' work in general is really good, which I say as a guy who generally hates professional sports. I'm particularly fond of his video on that one college football game that went 222-0. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doZzrsDJo-4

Some excerpts:

quote:

Play 84. Coach Allen sends in a law student known only as Pee Wee, who is only here to impress his professors. Pee Wee does not know anything about the rules of football; he is ensured that he will not have to touch the ball or actually do anything. The centre direct snaps him the ball. ...in the ensuing scramble, he runs away. He is now the fourth Cumberland player to try to run out of Grant field. He hides behind a fence where two other players are hiding. They don't want him to give away their hiding spot, so they throw him back over the fence. There is no escape.

quote:

Game note: Georgia Tech never bothered to throw the ball, despite the fact that their coach invented the forward pass.

PittTheElder has a new favorite as of 02:18 on Nov 23, 2017

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

HardDiskD posted:

I mean, it's pretty recent and probably wasn't on the radar of most people beyond the Jon Bois faithful.

Speaking of which, a series literally called Chart Party seems appropriate to the thread, aside from being extremely good charts instead of stupid ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wge7JK0JV0Q

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Chart Party? I'm in.

Today in Wren Learns Visualization:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
You shouldn't feed your analysis programs Acid.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, they need a healthy mix of crack and LSD.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Birds may have trouble using Excel. It wasn't really designed with beaks in mind.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ignimbrite posted:

That is in fact almost literally what’s going on here.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tree Goat posted:

https://twitter.com/onlysiencyn/status/933016381959876608

No Safe Word posted:

Grime is an aggressive British hip hop style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Ignimbrite posted:

Subjunctive posted:

That is in fact almost literally what’s going on here.

Correct. I'm a psychologist who studies the effects of psychedelic substances. That chart was an attempt at showing relative/normalized emotional variability in a sample of people microdosing psilocybin (mushrooms) and LSD.

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Birds may have trouble using Excel. It wasn't really designed with beaks in mind.

Also this. I'm importing a bunch of analysis I did in R to Excel and playing around with it so we can make our data and analysis open source. Excel is officially not meant for birds... or data scientists.