Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Left my Switch in the oven at one point (was playing Stardew while cooking for thanksgiving) and it lasted a good 12 hours baking at over 400F and seemed fine. Burnt a good gently caress out of my hands when I went to grab it but booted up fine

drat, too long for thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Left my Switch in the oven at one point (was playing Stardew while cooking for thanksgiving) and it lasted a good 12 hours baking at over 400F and seemed fine. Burnt a good gently caress out of my hands when I went to grab it but booted up fine

What... what was it doing in the oven in the first place?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Let’s Switch the oven to 400 degrees

No, seriously, I have so many questions.

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Moving entrees in and out of the oven a lot and realized the switch in tabletop mode was ideal for when my head was ducked down. Depends on the game but for stardew you can leave a joy-con strapped to your wrist and play whenever your hands aren't full with pots/pans etc.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nintendo is just continuing the legacy with the Switch.

https://twitter.com/cindyyassen/status/885661330245603330

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don't have embedded tweets on and before I clicked this I thought 'that better drat well be the Gulf War Game Boy'

Hell yeah.

But Rocks Hurt Head fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 22, 2017

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:siren: I am after a US Goon willing to pickup some games for me during Black Friday and ship them to Australia :siren:

The Goon that was previously going to grab me some games has had to pull out.

Master List of Black Friday Switch Deals

I'd be after Disgaea 5 for $20, Dragonball Xenoverse 2 for $20, and potentially FIFA 18 for $30.
All of them seem to be via Best Buy

PM me if you can help a brother out.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Infinitum posted:

Probably reseating thermal compound and soldered connections. I do this with all of my electronics. All of you should do this.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ornamented Death posted:

It probably betrays my PC gaming roots and bias, but I find it odd that there are people in this thread playing Skyrim for the first time on the Switch.

People have said this a lot but the whole portable/TV aspect of the switch is an insanely strong selling point.

I personally wouldn't play Doom on the switch but I have bought games on the Switch I wouldn't have bought on the PS4.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

yeah but it's still ugly and broken like all the others so I just lump them all together. NV handles factions so well it's funny how bad F4 hosed that up. They learned nothing from Obsidian. That being said I'd play any of them again if they were put on Switch, though idk if they'd bother; they don't quite have the same love that Skyrim gets imo

cheetah7071 posted:

The curse of Bethesda RPGs is that they're fun enough you play them for so long that the novelty wears off and you see the bad parts more clearly than the good parts. Then you quit playing with a bad taste in your mouth and the finishing hours not being so good stick in your mind more clearly than the dozens of good hours

These feel kind of related in that one of FO:NV's main strengths is showing restraint in letting you botch/lock yourself out of missions depending on what you do, whereas bethesda just wants you to do everything, even if it means you end up being the leader of every warring faction and nothing interesting becomes of it.

I've always though Bethesda games would be better if the were shorter, but offered more incentive to replay. Which is what NV sort of did I guess. Like, Skyrim would be way cooler if going down one path actually locked you out of another and turned all of your rival factions into enemies and based quests around that.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It'd be cool if getting to a leadership position in one guild allowed for you to take on high- level tasks in conjunction with the leaders of the other guilds. That way you could still see their storylines but wouldn't be killing rats in the robes of the high mage or whatever.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ornamented Death posted:

It probably betrays my PC gaming roots and bias, but I find it odd that there are people in this thread playing Skyrim for the first time on the Switch.

There are people like my brother that never buy big budget games on their PC and also don't have any consoles outside of Nintendo. For him, Skyrim on the Switch is literally his first chance to play it.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

Looks just as good as when I saw it in person 10 years ago.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Moving entrees in and out of the oven a lot and realized the switch in tabletop mode was ideal for when my head was ducked down. Depends on the game but for stardew you can leave a joy-con strapped to your wrist and play whenever your hands aren't full with pots/pans etc.

So you meant on the oven and not in the oven? Or did you actually confuse it with a casserole and pop it in the oven?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I could see myself doing that but only if a] rather distracted and b] extremely stoned

Lobster Harmonica
Jul 15, 2005

FireMrshlBill posted:

So you meant on the oven and not in the oven? Or did you actually confuse it with a casserole and pop it in the oven?

I set it inside the oven with the yams as a temporary solution because the oven top was cluttered

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I set it inside the oven with the yams as a temporary solution because the oven top was cluttered

"Do I put my Switch in the fire where it will surely melt like a loving idiot, or do I just not play it for a bit..."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Are people just trying to one up the cohabiting ex-girlfriend Mario story

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I know the internet made it a popular thing but this is a really excessive way to take eating Switch cartridges to the next level.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

What would you like to be the next Zelda remake?

Botw. Fix that turd up.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

My main problem with Elder Scrolls/Fallout isn't really jankiness but the actual RPG aspects. They just never seem to land a decent skills/abilities system, there's always some problems with it and in every further iteration they fix something but break something else about it. It felt like with FO4 they just simplified it down as much as possible, but it just made the game completely boring. Well, that and just about everything else about it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I hope Skyrim and Doom are test cases to get FO4 on the Switch

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I hope it's not because it's a very boring game.

I'd prefer a good Fallout, I've never played NV so maybe that?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

My main problem with Elder Scrolls/Fallout isn't really jankiness but the actual RPG aspects. They just never seem to land a decent skills/abilities system, there's always some problems with it and in every further iteration they fix something but break something else about it. It felt like with FO4 they just simplified it down as much as possible, but it just made the game completely boring. Well, that and just about everything else about it.

and the writing is absolutely awful

I can forgive a lot if the writing is good (New Vegas) but bethesda games are like the opposite of that.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I don't really care too much about writing in video games as long as the quests aren't boring.

Every quest I did in FO4 was "Go here, kill these people", or "Go here to bring this thing back, oh no these guys have taken it so you have to kill them to get it back."

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of Bethesda fuckery I just saw this ancient Todd Howard post that made me laugh. While he wasn't at Beth at the time he did get hired a couple of months later and took over as lead on Redguard.

Should not surprise anyone that the game ended up a rushed utter piece of rear end.

E: Found another one.

Lodin fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 22, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I was super jealous when Fallout 4 was released because I couldn't run it on anything I had.

Then the dust settled, and I think I'll just stick with NV. :shobon:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Are we really just going to let "I decided to put my Switch INSIDE MY loving OVEN for convenience reasons" slide?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RCarr posted:

Are we really just going to let "I decided to put my Switch INSIDE MY loving OVEN for convenience reasons" slide?

I thought it was a stupid goony joke. Like, 'no one can POSSIBLY be that stupid', coming from someone who gets scatterbrained all the loving time.

Welp.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

and you didn't notice for twelve hours?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
the switch is perfect for cooking

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
it always surprises me that the credits for skyrim have more than three people in them

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Switch is perfect for playing games.

Or eating.

It’s just a perfect console at anything.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I thought it was a stupid goony joke. Like, 'no one can POSSIBLY be that stupid', coming from someone who gets scatterbrained all the loving time.

Welp.

It is a joke. People are just stupid and have no ability to put logical thoughts together.

Hurr hurr, I cooked my switch at 400 degrees and it's fine.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bethesda's games are good with very rough edges, but the jankiness is kind of unacceptable in 2017 now that other companies are doing open world stuff close to their scale. The clockwork world thing doesn't seem quite worth the tradeoff, sure I can't pick up every candle in Witcher or Zelda but also those games don't break themselves in half all the time with NPC's that don't move like toy soldiers.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Dizz posted:

the switch is perfect for cooking

Better than Mama!

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Tender Bender posted:

My favorite time in Skyrim is when a dog started following me and the game became about me and the dog, every combat encounter was a terrifying battle as I tried to quickly kill the enemies before they could hurt my dog. Bandits, wolves, Dwemer robots, the dog fought all of them alongside me.

Eventually a dragon attacked a town, people ran for cover and some tried to help, we killed it but when the dust settled the dog was nowhere to be found and I knew the worst had happened. I decided I wasn't going to reload and this would just be the natural end to our story. Then after about thirty seconds my dog came running out of some bushes where I guess he was hiding. It was a good day :unsmith:

I liked this Skyrim/dog story :3:

I feel like the "which Bethesda game was good/bad" convos here mirror the FF thread in which people broadly disagree with what one was the worst game vs which games were great.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Suspicious Cook posted:

Better than Mama!

It is odd that they haven't done a Cooking Mama. or a Brain Training. The Switch is perfect for those casual games that the DS was also perfect for

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

ChocNitty posted:

Looks just as good as when I saw it in person 10 years ago.

Actually happened to be there last weekend -- Unfortunately, a few more of the lines are burnt out on it now. 4 or 5 horizontal lines of pixels that don't show. I think they used to flicker in and out.

Game's still working fine, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I know people who ruin their kitchen appliances and small TVs on a regular basis because they store them in the oven when they aren't using them then forget to remove them before preheating. Good to know that Nintendo makes their products more ovenproof than Vizio.

• Locked thread