Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

victrix posted:

This seems like an uninteresting bit of faff to me, unless there's more going on than just damage.

If you have two slots, two proficiencies, two weapons, and one will always deal more damage, that's a Non Decision that the computer can make for you.

If there are other considerations at work that make it a meaningful tactical choice that's a different matter.
There are: You and enemies can buff/debuff to rapidly change target DRs, but also, weapons have modal abilities and enchantments that may or may not be more useful than the damage. Now that missing DR by 1 only decreased the damage by 25%, I think those considerations will be more significant. Also, there are ranged weapons you might want to consider that are jockeying for consideration for your two weapon slots as well.

Also, crits adding to both pen and damage means that crit-seeking with a single one-handed weapon with high damage but low penetration (like a sabre) is occasionally really useful. Its a shame the talent for it seems really pointless. Why would I want miss-to-hit conversion when I really should never be missing in the first place? The other talents play into the strengths of the weapon on both ends of the spectrum, but the one-handed weapon talent only shores up one side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!

Hmm, back then it was just a forum post somewhere; this will do nicely though, thanks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

victrix posted:

This seems like an uninteresting bit of faff to me, unless there's more going on than just damage.

If you have two slots, two proficiencies, two weapons, and one will always deal more damage, that's a Non Decision that the computer can make for you.

If there are other considerations at work that make it a meaningful tactical choice that's a different matter.

It's . . more complicated than that.

My math might be off here, but roughly, *under the current system*:

I posted above, but as an example, the Greatsword does approx 30% more damage than the Estoc, but has a pen of 5, while the Estoc has a pen of 8.

Against AR's from 9 to 6, the Estoc will do about twice as much damage as the Greatsword.

Against Ar 5, the Greatsword dominates and does 30% more damage.

Against AR's from 4 to . . 2? the Estoc and Greatsword will do fairly similar damage (with a slight edge to the greatsword) because the Estoc will start getting the 30% overpenetration bonus.

Against very low AR's -- 0 and 1 -- the Greatsword will do much more damage, because it will have higher base damage and also get the overpenetration bonus.

Against AR 10 and above I suspect the Greatsword will also be superior to the Estoc because it has a higher base damage and neither penetrates.

All that will get complicated dramatically by the new system but the short answer is that you want to open combat with high penetration weapons (because you don't know the enemy defenses until your bestiary fills out) but if you discover that the enemy has low armor OR if you succeed in lowering their armor with debuffs, you'll want to switch to high-dps, low pen options instead.

If you only had to pick one, high-pen weapons would be the superior choice (because they help you avoid the 70%, now 75%, damage penalty, vs the 30% dps boost from low-pen/high dps weapons), but you get to pick two to start, so you want one of each.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

:stare:

:stonk:

:vince:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

tithin posted:

POE1 - stupid question - is there a console command or something, ala BG that will let you kill whatever?

I'm going to go back to my save to try and hammer out the game but my last save was on path of the damned, inside the enemy camp fighting two massive golem things, and my party just did not have the raw stamina to take out both. I could get both down to badly wounded but couldn't finish them off.

I don't gently caress with the console much but try the following:

~
Iroll20s (activates cheats and disables achievements)
FindCharacter Eyeless (this should return the proper ID for the enemy)
Kill eyelessID (replace eyelessID with whatever you found with the previous command)

OR follow up Iroll20s with one simple command:

God

To make your party invulnerable.

But if you want to give killing them another go, I believe the Eyeless are susceptible to paralyze, so respeccing your party build or busting out some scrolls to lock them down and kill them one at a time is fairly effective.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

I think you pronounce it a bit like Pericles.

Or at least, that's what I used to do when I named my Titan Quest testing characters the same thing.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

@ropekid will we be able to generate prefabs in the future

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Unity prefabs? That's unlikely. We externalized as much of our data to .xml as we could but there's still a lot of stuff that we do in Unity.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I figured as much, is there going to be some kind of override folder situation or will the editing still be limited to the base xml files themselves in the future?

Octo1
May 7, 2009
So, uh..traps are a little strong now? I don't mean in that it sucks to get an injury because you couldn't see one and walked over it, I mean that enemies also gain injuries when they trigger traps and I just killed the broodmother by getting her to walk over a trap four times. That seems a little too good maybe?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

after digging through the unused beta things here's my guess as to the story (spoilers even though it's probably wrong, but I might be right!)

There are a lot of enemies pertaining to the gods, Eothas and Skaen in particular. Many of the enemies don't have stats in the beta but the ones that do are significantly powerful.

I believe poe2 will involve you finding a way to steal the gods mortality and going to war against them.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Octo1 posted:

So, uh..traps are a little strong now? I don't mean in that it sucks to get an injury because you couldn't see one and walked over it, I mean that enemies also gain injuries when they trigger traps and I just killed the broodmother by getting her to walk over a trap four times. That seems a little too good maybe?

Uh how did the trap not get used up the first time

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Scorchy posted:

Uh how did the trap not get used up the first time

No I meant I used 4 traps, one at a time from stealth.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/933089067985596418

dnd_5e_playtest_fighter.txt

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

@ropekid - found this big today while playing White March 2

No mods, used the ogres to crack the crystal. Not sure if that's known or not.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

I think most classes could use a few more options at low levels.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's . . more complicated than that.

My math might be off here, but roughly, *under the current system*:

I posted above, but as an example, the Greatsword does approx 30% more damage than the Estoc, but has a pen of 5, while the Estoc has a pen of 8.

Against AR's from 9 to 6, the Estoc will do about twice as much damage as the Greatsword.

Against Ar 5, the Greatsword dominates and does 30% more damage.

Against AR's from 4 to . . 2? the Estoc and Greatsword will do fairly similar damage (with a slight edge to the greatsword) because the Estoc will start getting the 30% overpenetration bonus.

Against very low AR's -- 0 and 1 -- the Greatsword will do much more damage, because it will have higher base damage and also get the overpenetration bonus.

Against AR 10 and above I suspect the Greatsword will also be superior to the Estoc because it has a higher base damage and neither penetrates.

All that will get complicated dramatically by the new system but the short answer is that you want to open combat with high penetration weapons (because you don't know the enemy defenses until your bestiary fills out) but if you discover that the enemy has low armor OR if you succeed in lowering their armor with debuffs, you'll want to switch to high-dps, low pen options instead.

If you only had to pick one, high-pen weapons would be the superior choice (because they help you avoid the 70%, now 75%, damage penalty, vs the 30% dps boost from low-pen/high dps weapons), but you get to pick two to start, so you want one of each.

More for my own satisfaction than anything else I went and made a little spreadsheet, I think the math is accurate under the new (upcoming) system:

conclusion's pretty straightforward: low pen, high dps weapons will be best at the very high and low ends of the damage tree, and also will probably function better (slightly) even one point under target DR (because their inherent 30% damage bonus will exceed the 25% penalty). That's a little counterintuitive so you might want to playtest a 30%/20%/20% penalty instead of 25%/25%/25% .

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Let's hope it doesn't become THAT particular worse case scenario.

Keithium
Jan 7, 2013
Does anyone know what the update after downloading the deadfire pack for Pillars 1 is? I'm downloading 3.7 gig for some reason and cant find any notes on it.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Keithium posted:

Does anyone know what the update after downloading the deadfire pack for Pillars 1 is? I'm downloading 3.7 gig for some reason and cant find any notes on it.

They released the definitive edition and anyone with the base game and White March got all the royal edition stuff (strategy guide, soundtrack etc.)

I don't see why they made it an auto-update since I don't think any of that stuff is in-game.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Nov 22, 2017

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

snoremac posted:

I don't see why they made it an auto-update since I don't think any of that stuff is in-game.
That's a Steam thing. The stuff was added as a DLC entry and Steam defaults to downloading all DLC you own. Which makes perfect sense.
If you don't want it because your on a metered internet connection or whatever, you can set it to not download in PoE1's steam library page.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!
This is a minor thing, and it didn't actually occur to me until hours later, but I just actually went back to the Valian Embassy after completing the trade agreement for the first time (it always slipped my mind in other playthroughs) and saw Pallengina get fired.

And don't get me wrong, that's totally the right direction for her. But, like:

a) she's the only Valian with any relationship with the Galfalthans to speak of,
b) and that relationship is shining thanks to,
c) me, possibly the only outsider they see as worth listening to,
d) who is a local noble,
e) whose lands sit in easy reach of any potential trade routes,
f) and who has close ties to House Doemenal, who they were so eager to be on the good side of they just let them assassinate a Valian dignitary,
g) well actually that was me as well, I did that for them,
h) and also I can effectively control the very important trade in Durgan Steel if I've done that yet.

I'm just saying, don't forget to let the PC pull their weight with major powers once they have some. This isn't a decision which the PC can change because she needs to be free to be a pirate queen with me once Eothas wrecks everything. Just let me point out, [diplomatically], that I can probably ruin the ambassador's career if I really put my mind to it- if I have the relationships to back it up. I mean, it's hard to cover this sort of thing in every circumstance without going insane and all, but the more the better.

Ideally I should be [benevolently] ignoring the option to shell a lot of settlements with cannonfire by the late game of deadfire.

(Part of that last sentence was a lie).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

[Honest] I'm going to destroy your island with cannonballs.

[Diplomatic] Let's discuss destroying your island with cannonballs.

[Rational] I'm going to destroy your island with cannonballs, which are weapons.

[Benevolent] I'm going to donate a lot of cannonballs to your island.

[Aggressive] I've already started shooting cannonballs.

[Deceptive] [Lie] I don't even like destroying islands with cannonballs.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

snoremac posted:

They released the definitive edition and anyone with the base game and White March got all the royal edition stuff (strategy guide, soundtrack etc.)

Does that mean everybody got the Guidebook Vol. 1? That thing rules, people should take a look if they didn't get a chance to before.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Scorchy posted:

Does that mean everybody got the Guidebook Vol. 1? That thing rules, people should take a look if they didn't get a chance to before.

Yeah it was added.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

jokes posted:

[Rational] I'm going to destroy your island with cannonballs, which are weapons.

[Canadian Heritage Minute] I will reply from the mouth of my cannon.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

jokes posted:

[Lore] Did you know this island has only been shelled with cannonballs twice previously? First, in...

[Merchant] For a modest fee of 50000 Pands I'll sell you all my cannonballs.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

jokes posted:

[Stoic] *Point at cannonballs, then point at island, while glaring silently.*

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Any quest/plot related reason to keep the Devil of Caroc around once you've completed "The One That Got Away"? She says she wants to come with you to Durgan's Battery, but I don't know if that's just chatter or important. My character's a rogue - no need for her.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
drat is this game's audio annoying to deal with. I'm long since used to the loud effects bug and such but now the game won't even play nice and quite audio for me using the volume mixer. I have to put it down to 2% or so for it to be even somewhat quiet. Compared to 25 - 35% being my usual volume for videos, games, etc at which level PoE is blaring out my headphones. I can't remember noticing this while playing yesterday but it's persisted through both a game and PC restart at this point so I dunno how to make it stop. And of course due to the bug I can't use the master volume slider in game to better tune it either.

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

snoremac posted:

Any quest/plot related reason to keep the Devil of Caroc around once you've completed "The One That Got Away"? She says she wants to come with you to Durgan's Battery, but I don't know if that's just chatter or important. My character's a rogue - no need for her.

It's just banter, if I remember correctly; if you haven't already gone there yet take her to the Sanitarium for a fun bit of dialogue though.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ProfessorCirno posted:

Let's hope it doesn't become THAT particular worse case scenario.

For those of us who don't know much about DnD, what was wrong with 5th ed Fighters?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I just kicked open this game to finally play White March after I finished vanilla like two years ago and apparently things got patched and now I have to make choices about things I can't remember aaaaa

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/933123351370805248

:thinkingemoji:

EDIT: Also, I have to say, that right now I feel mixed about the return of universal talents, largely because they seem exactly the same +numbers as in PoE1's most boring stuff and will become necessary stepping stones for a lot of (if not most) builds, unless they're redesigned. Basically, instead of expanding options, they'll just tend to make characters a little more powerful numerically.

I'm not in the beta though, so I don't know how the game was working out without them.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 22, 2017

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CottonWolf posted:

For those of us who don't know much about DnD, what was wrong with 5th ed Fighters?
Over the course of playtesting, a lot of their unique features got pared down and spread out amongst other classes.

I have a lot more faith in Obsidian than I do Wizards of the Coast, but I couldn't read those twitter posts without thinking, "Ah, but you see, the fighter class feature is more feats!"

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yeah, I don't want to remove anything from the way fighters are currently set up. The fact is that most of the passives in the fighter tree were classless Talents in Pillars 1, things like fighting styles that would have been proficiencies in 2nd Ed. or feats in 3E. You can currently build a fighter to take only actives from 1st-20th level, only passives from 2nd-20th level, or any mix between. If we actually pulled those passives from the fighter tree, you'd more or less be forced to build an active fighter -- unless we designed ~9 new fighter-specific passives to replace them.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I will say that the desire to take everything cool away from fighters is strong even among some of our devs. I remember designing Fearless and Triggered Immunity for Pillars 1 and someone said, "Shouldn't the paladin get Fearless?" I was like, holy poo poo, paladins are getting the ability to pulse holy blue flame can fighters just not be affected by fear effects?

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
as an objective bleak walker player, please add everything to the paladins

Octo1
May 7, 2009
How will the changes affect Black Jackets? And will there be passives for spell casters (like extra spell casts)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
i'm actually pretty happy with how powerful fighters are in poe1, i should finish that all-fighter no-magic potd run, it was surprisingly smooth sailing

• Locked thread