Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, I went inside when I was in Leipzig. What a huge rear end monument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Pretty sure there were six. You can see the other two partially obscured by the vehicle, and there are clearly 5 launches heard before the video ends.

Yeah, 4 on video. But I'm assuming he started filming after the first launch, and you can hear 5. I'm curious as to why so many were launched if it was against one TBM.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, 4 on video. But I'm assuming he started filming after the first launch, and you can hear 5. I'm curious as to why so many were launched if it was against one TBM.

I sure hope you are not questioning the competence of Royal Saudi Land Forces there

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

mlmp08 posted:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

MikeCrotch posted:

I sure hope you are not questioning the competence of Royal Saudi Land Forces there

During OIF, there was apparently a whole lot of the US engaging TBMs and Kuwait playing "ME TOO!" and taking shots that were unnecessary.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

Multiple shots is a tried and true way of increasing your Pk. Those interceptors are a lot cheaper than an impact.

4+ is probably excessive, but I think everyone who's worked with the Saudis has an appreciation for the value of competence seen elsewhere.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Multiple shots is a tried and true way of increasing your Pk. Those interceptors are a lot cheaper than an impact.

4+ is probably excessive, but I think everyone who's worked with the Saudis has an appreciation for the value of competence seen elsewhere.

2 is doctrinal. 4 could be a failsafe for "absolutely loving nothing gets through." Beyond that :iiam: and/or conjecture that quickly gets into :nsa: territory.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

mlmp08 posted:

2 is doctrinal. 4 could be a failsafe for "absolutely loving nothing gets through." Beyond that :iiam: and/or conjecture that quickly gets into :nsa: territory.

It's not like they're hurting for equipment. They pretty much buy way more than they need as a way to buy influence with the US and other western countries.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Anta posted:

It's not like they're hurting for equipment. They pretty much buy way more than they need as a way to buy influence with the US and other western countries.

No joke, I feel incredibly stupid for not heavily investing into various missile/defense companies. Was worried about clearances/insider trading knowledge, but it turns out none of that poo poo would've applied. 300%+ over 5 years would've been really nice.............

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Two is OUR doctrine. If I had Saudi troops working for me, I'd probably double it right off the bat too.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

Two is OUR doctrine. If I had Saudi troops working for me, I'd probably double it right off the bat too.

It's not like humans calculate the intercept. That poo poo is all done by EDWA processes (computers).

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Maybe they listen to a lot of Arms Control Wonk and heeded Jeffrey's advice of four in order to be sure.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

It's not like humans calculate the intercept. That poo poo is all done by EDWA processes (computers).

I'm starting to think you've never worked with them.

Pick the dumbest soldiers you've ever dealt with. Give them a superiority complex, laziness x10, and poo poo attitudes if anyone tries to show them how to do their job even in a training environment.

You've got the best of the best in the Saudi forces, the ones they send as their best foot forward to the US for "advanced" training.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

I'm starting to think you've never worked with them.

I've worked with several and sent a team of soldiers to train them up on Patriot for several months a few years back. I was just referring to the fact that while a human can mash the engage button repeatedly for no good reason, the human isn't coming up with the intercept geometry.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

True, but my going-in expectation is that the first 3 of those shots are outside parameters. :lol:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
https://i.imgur.com/nrTsLFo.mp4

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

I like this version more

https://youtu.be/KA8mYnZcy5w

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Lol this is good.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

That never gets old.

Swolegoat
Nov 4, 2011

oh hell yeah

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/931533297016016897

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Neat, but still not as impressive as the sub drawing a dick in the ocean story.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I don't know the sub story but its obviously better by virtue of being in the sky for all to see and enjoy :colbert:

Lmao this article has some awesome facts about the Blue Angels too

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/99015606/us-navy-says-genitalia-air-display-absolutely-unacceptable

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Call sign “Stiffy”

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
It's an EW squadron, you guys just don't have the clearance necessary to understand the complex maneuvers required to employ their equipment. :gizz:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
https://twitter.com/NorwegianArmy/status/933258199700066304

That final shot of the rockets landing is pretty bonkers, I'd hate to be in the receiving end of a rocket artillery barrage :gonk:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Missionary Positron posted:

That final shot of the rockets landing is pretty bonkers, I'd hate to be in the receiving end of a rocket artillery barrage :gonk:

Are those Soviet designed launchers or do they have some sort of native MLRS they've cooked up?

e: Twitter says Czech RM-70s

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I wonder what the spread in terms of range from the launcher is with those, it looks like they're coming down in an almost straight line

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

my kinda ape posted:

Are those Soviet designed launchers or do they have some sort of native MLRS they've cooked up?

e: Twitter says Czech RM-70s

Yeah RM70 seems most likely, as we have a bunch of those + a small (something like 22) number of M270 MLRS launchers.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I think that's the last thing a lot of Iraqis saw in 1991.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Apparently that's what a bunch of US infantry dudes in the first wave on D-Day thought right before watching most of the rockets fall into the sea or fly right over the German bunkers

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Arctic camo is cool as hell. Those white M4s are baller

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

cowboy elvis posted:

Arctic camo is cool as hell. Those white M4s are baller

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

trudging through snow with plates sounds like hell

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That's what skis and snowshoes are for

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
Some rad footage from the same exercise as the twitter vid + random reindeers as a bonus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5TQKhF6lX0

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I know we always joke around saying WW3 in 4K is going to be rad as gently caress, but holy poo poo it is actually going to be rad as gently caress. That is a good video.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

How many of those reindeer do you think ate poo poo during that rocket barrage?

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Grem posted:

How many of those reindeer do you think ate poo poo during that rocket barrage?

When I was in the army, more than once we had to stop firing the mortars because target area had reindeers wandering in there :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004

Patrocclesiastes posted:

When I was in the army, more than once we had to stop firing the mortars because target area had reindeers wandering in there :v:

Yeah, happened to us as well. The forward observers immediately told us to cease fire if they saw movement in the target area. I think they mainly do it because the military has to pay compensation to the reindeer herders if any of their animals wander into an artillery strike.