Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Mary: that settles it, I'm never loving buying Ruiner. :v:

I enjoy the action puzzle sort of thing, the more strategic the better (Superhot :allears:). Hotline Miami was pushing it.

Jydge has a late-game item that gives you Superhot-style time freeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Jydge also has the Hotline Miami mod where you deal crazy damage, but die in one hit. My preferred way to play the game. The last difficulty setting of the four, you can choose the one you want after unlocking, is pretty cray.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I can use a good Star Wars-esq RPG or something. A good Space adventure.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

BigRed0427 posted:

I can use a good Star Wars-esq RPG or something. A good Space adventure.

Star Control 2 is here, free, and very good!

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Is there a reason why I shouldn't try to buy games using a different payment method than the card already saved to my account (e.g., can I safely add a new card right before buying stuff)? I recall during past sales being advised not to do something before checkout for fear of putting a hold on your account, but it never applied to me so I forgot what the actual hold trigger was in those cases.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

It's just me, but I don't like storing credit cards anywhere. Just incase I get hacked.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Trick Question posted:

I could use some help trimming this down. I've heard a lot of good about watch_dogs_2, but if I'm sick to death of open-world games, is it going to change my mind? I just don't like checking-off icons on a map anymore.

I've heard that Evil Within 2 doesn't quite have the same feel as the first, although some people seem to like it more. Can anyone elaborate? For the most part I enjoyed the first, but didn't really like any of the boss fights.
HMH 1 and 2 are great, though 1 has bloated saving/loading times.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

BigRed0427 posted:

It's just me, but I don't like storing credit cards anywhere. Just incase I get hacked.

Yeah, the card I have saved is one that I've kept at a laughably low limit solely for convenient cheap online purchases. I actually don't want to save a new card, just use a different one for this particular purchase. So presumably that should be ok if that's all you ever do.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

what are people's opinions on Ruiner, West of Loathing and The Sexy Brutale? If you'd scrap one of those three, which would it be?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dead End Road is exactly what Too Shy Guy said it was. Which is to say I am now deeply unsettled.

If you want a similar really good game about being unsettled as you drive across England, The Consuming Shadow looks like a flash game but it's really, really good. You have basic (awkward) combat - think 2D Silent Hill as you visit haunted towns, collecting supplies and clues as you rush to stop a horrific ritual from being completed so Something can come to Earth.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

double nine posted:

what are people's opinions on Ruiner, West of Loathing and The Sexy Brutale? If you'd scrap one of those three, which would it be?

I haven't played West of Loathing.

Ruiner is a very fast paced isometric shooter/brawler with a great sense of style, fluid and extremely fast combat. It's also very difficult even on normal/

Sexy Brutale is an interesting one. It's more of a puzzle game/reverse Hitman. Events will happen at specific times in specific places and your job is to prevent most of them. Thankfully you have some time manipulation abilities on your side.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I've heard that West of Loathing is pretty terrific but that mostly came from people familiar with the first one so I don't know how it plays on it's own

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

double nine posted:

West of Loathing is probably my favorite recent CRPG - great comedic writing and a ton of it, with a combat system that's fun and quick. Very replayable, too. I've also heard good things about the other two, so I'm not sure what you'd cut, sorry.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I figured I'd make sure E.Y.E. worked and maybe play a little. First off, the writing is certainly interesting and I'm not actually sure I understood what the game was trying to tell me about that portal at the start. Also, the two loading screen quotes I've seen so far have been credited to Confucius and Fight Club, Tyler respectively. Pressing a few buttons at random makes the screen shake and then makes three identical men appear and stand around until I cut them in half with my sword and get an achievement.

The game tries to tell me to press a button to view a tutorial, but that just takes me to a list of tutorials and the one it wanted me to watch isn't listed, so instead I watched the reload tutorial, which shows the complicated process of pressing c, selecting options then selecting reload from the weapons menu, and only at the end tells me that I could just press r instead.

So instead of watching more, I kill an enemy and a message tells me I have gained brouzouf. I'm not sure what that is, but after figuring out how to toggle on my super jump I make it to an NPC, Dutch, who doesn't clarify much, and the armory, which feels like it was designed by someone half remembering System Shock 2's inventory system and has icons that are way too tiny but does let me play a bit of inventory tetris, so I'm happy. I have no idea what this game is yet and I want to try out the shotgun, so I take one along with a pistol, a grenade and two swords.

Heading out drops me a long way and I take fall damage, then some strings start playing, making this feel like an Important Moment, but I'm slicing a cop in half with my sword and then the text "I increased my level!" appears, so I don't know what to think or feel. The shotgun has some pretty good range, though the sound is a little weak. A couple more fights, some ladders and some weird rat things that I leave alone later, I get to hack a door. This involves a minigame that feels like playing the text only version of Final Fantasy 7. Behind the door I guess I finish the level, because some stats pop up telling me that my class is Equilibrium Fist, but I alt tabbed out to check something and the game crashed, so that seemed like a good place to stop for the night.

I've definitely had my money's worth of entertainment already, and I'm looking forward to playing more, but I'm not sure what this is yet besides maybe an experiment to build the best possible Deus Ex/SS2 style FPSRPG out of nothing but jank and charm. I also like all the dialogue options I've been offered so far. All of them.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 23, 2017

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

lmao if you acually play the games u buy in a steam sale

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
EYE is a terrible video game, but it gets by on being a pretty fun experience if only for the "what :what:" factor.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

CJacobs posted:

EYE is a terrible video game

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Goddamn Prey is half off but I told myself I wouldn't spend any money on games until the Christmas sale :negative:

There's a good chance it'll have the same discount then, right?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you should "prey" that it will

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

It'll definitely be on sale then and if anything it might be cheaper given that it bombed commercially.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Really Pants posted:

you should "prey" that it will

You mean praey

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
If you get GMG's newsletter it's 65% off :cool:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Steam sales are great on every store site that isn't steam.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Call Your Grandma posted:

lmao if you acually play the games u buy in a steam sale

Dude, you hoard the games you buy in bundles. Steam sales are for games you're actually going to play!

Speaking of, Kingdoms and Castles is exactly the chill city-builder I wanted in my life and just...gosh. I feel so satisfied looking at my little people carrying apples from the orchards and working in the quarry and so on.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Gorn Myson posted:

It'll definitely be on sale then and if anything it might be cheaper given that it bombed commercially.

I didn't know it sold so poorly. Maybe I'll just buy it now to support a developer! Yeah, that's the reason.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Away all Goats posted:

I didn't know it sold so poorly. Maybe I'll just buy it now to support a developer! Yeah, that's the reason.

Yeah, that's exactly the same sales pitch I'm making myself on Prey. Between the two of us, we can make a real person/purchase!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Yeah, Prey absolutely deserves buying. It's so good. It's got an incredible atmosphere to it that (sadly doesn't carry over well in videos.)

I liked it so much that I actually 100%ed it.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
GMG is offering extra discounts on several games with the code GMGBLACKFRIDAY. Using that lowers the price of Dead Cells to $10.83. Miiiiighty tempting!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

pentyne posted:

How is I Am Setsuna? I remember it getting a lot of attention when it came out for being a fully fleshed out classic style JRPG but that's not necessarily a good thing.
Do you like ice, snow, more ice, and even more snow?

Do you like your videogame soundtracks made entirely with one instrument, piano?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tokyo 42 isn't on sale, didn't those guys get the memo :colbert:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Accordion Man posted:

Friend, have you heard the good word of WadjetEye Games?

Listen to this (accordion) man.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

double nine posted:

West of loathing is amazing, it's super funny. Ruiner is fun. I'd cut brutale, I guess?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
I bought

Crea 2d terraria with leveling system
HammerWatch 2d dungeon crawler that kind of looks like a bullet hell too. Can't beat lessthan $3
Evil Within 2 Horror Survival

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
How does night in the woods compare to oxenfree?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

nachos posted:

How does night in the woods compare to oxenfree?

Did not care that much for Oxenfree, NITW is GOTY material.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zereth posted:

Do you like ice, snow, more ice, and even more snow?

Do you like your videogame soundtracks made entirely with one instrument, piano?

Yeah, I'm seeing a lot of reasonable complaints about the game so it really seems like any glowing praise is just "this is almost like Chrono Trigger but not really" and that they kept the traditional bullshit problems of old school RPGs rather then take note from modern quality of life improvements.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Haque just dropped on Steam with no fanfare at all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OESoi9BMFBI

ugh

that fake scanline effect is horrible

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
So when it comes to Watch Dogs 2 is the DLC worth it or should I just buy the base game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CJacobs posted:

EYE is a terrible video game, but it gets by on being a pretty fun experience if only for the "what :what:" factor.

its good actually