Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Looking forward to the second season of this. I just binged season 1 over the weekend and started reading the old thread to see all the speculation that I missed.

Caufman posted:

Dolores is as different from Wyatt as William is from the Gunslinger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Season 1 definitely holds up on the rewatch for me. Just binged through it again and felt like I picked up a lot more on the second viewing!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Holy poo poo i need to rewatch this. I do not remember anything of dolores being wyatt and only have vague memories of ed harris/ young guy being one and the same

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

only have vague memories of ed harris/ young guy being one and the same
These... reveries... have qualities like memories.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I would say it's honestly better the second time around because everything that seems like the show spinning its wheels is actually important and intricately woven together but you don't realize it the first time.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah it actually holds up better than i expected on rewatch. The Maeve plotline is also a less frustrating when it's a foregone conclusion

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I really enjoyed the Maeve plotline and it never bothered me that it relied totally on Felix being a dipshit because:

Hi...I'm the dipshit that would totally plug in our robot overlords! :psylon:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, Maeve's plot requires a bit of suspension of disbelief. Even if Felix is infatuated with Maeve or whatever, there's nothing to stop Sylvester from telling higher ups "yeah, a host is sentient and threatening us with violence and my coworker is helping her gain power and escape" as soon as he is out of sight of her.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Yeah, Maeve's plot requires a bit of suspension of disbelief. Even if Felix is infatuated with Maeve or whatever, there's nothing to stop Sylvester from telling higher ups "yeah, a host is sentient and threatening us with violence and my coworker is helping her gain power and escape" as soon as he is out of sight of her.

Other than the fact she was blackmailing them over the robot rape that was happening with the expensive equipment after hours?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Didn't that happen?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Other than the fact she was blackmailing them over the robot rape that was happening with the expensive equipment after hours?

Felix and Sylvester weren't doing any raping and Maeve didn't blackmail them with that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Not Felix was definitely implicated in something pervy

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Not Felix was definitely implicated in something pervy

I thought he was feeling up the female hosts and being a general pervert.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Dumb Lowtax posted:

No, you're thinking of Elsie getting that one guy in Livestock Management to let her look at the host that had tried to self-terminate. Maeve appealed to Felix's longing to be a Behavioral programmer, and... she made some kind of offer of assistance to Sylvester, I think? It's been a long-rear end time since I watched the show, but I think the idea was that she knew Syl had some kind of grander illusions as to what he wanted to do with his life, and Maeve offered to help him if he kept his mouth shut and went along with everything.

Proteus Jones posted:

I thought he was feeling up the female hosts and being a general pervert.

Naw, that was that one Livestock guy. Elsie blackmails him with camera footage of him loving a host in the repair bays, because he apparently has a habit of doing that. Up to and including doing it with Hector while another technician is working on Armistice in the very next bay. Which ends with Hector jamming a surgical saw through the guy's chest at the start of the Uprising.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Argus Zant posted:

No, you're thinking of Elsie getting that one guy in Livestock Management to let her look at the host that had tried to self-terminate. Maeve appealed to Felix's longing to be a Behavioral programmer, and... she made some kind of offer of assistance to Sylvester, I think? It's been a long-rear end time since I watched the show, but I think the idea was that she knew Syl had some kind of grander illusions as to what he wanted to do with his life, and Maeve offered to help him if he kept his mouth shut and went along with everything.

Naw, that was that one Livestock guy. Elsie blackmails him with camera footage of him loving a host in the repair bays, because he apparently has a habit of doing that. Up to and including doing it with Hector while another technician is working on Armistice in the very next bay. Which ends with Hector jamming a surgical saw through the guy's chest at the start of the Uprising.

Yep. That's right. I'll need to do a rewatch. Maybe this weened even when I hide from family after Thurs and Fri.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

LividLiquid posted:

The movie Westworld was over thirty years ago and the thread title was the premise of the thing.

They even got playful with a line of dialog in the show that was like, "we haven't had an incident in over thirty years."

Pretty sure there was a dormant host made to look like Yul Brynner, too.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Argus Zant posted:

Sylvester was reprogramming hosts to gently caress staff and deleting the logs. It's not shown, it just comes up in dialogue when Maeve blackmails him with it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Flatscan posted:

Sylvester was reprogramming hosts to gently caress staff and deleting the logs. It's not shown, it just comes up in dialogue when Maeve blackmails him with it.
Yes, well put. The robot was blackmailing the poo poo out of these two dinguses.

Imagine instead of Maeve you had to outwit Bender. Could you withstand a game of manipulation against Bender?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

KoRMaK posted:

Yes, well put. The robot was blackmailing the poo poo out of these two dinguses.

You're half right, Maeve was only blackmailing Sylvester (the ginge).

Flatscan posted:

This, basically. Felix was all in on the robot rebellion -- or at least helping Maeve escape -- even though he freaked a bit when it got violent.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

just another posted:

Pretty sure there was a dormant host made to look like Yul Brynner, too.

yeah during an elevator shot you see the gunslinger in the background.

the opening to the show is great because if you've seen the movie you assume ed harris is the yul brynner robot and it's a great twist when it turns out nope he's an evil guest.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah during an elevator shot you see the gunslinger in the background.

Maybe I don't understand what an elevator shot is, but it was when Bernard was rooting around in the old facility's subfloors.

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

The guy who gets tied naked to the horse is coming back next season btw.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

BurtLington posted:

The actor or an old version of the character?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

dublish posted:

Looking forward to the second season of this. I just binged season 1 over the weekend and started reading the old thread to see all the speculation that I missed.

I'm ready to be astounded again.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

-how the gently caress did dolores get dressed in the exact same gunslinger outfit she had thirty years ago?

I assume the park keeps all it's old costumes on hand and goes through them in some sort of rotation.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Maeve was definitely blackmailing the other tech, but that still doesn't solve my problem with the plotline. At one point he literally agrees to make her super intelligent, when he could instead just move the slider to "super dumb" and solve the entire problem.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ShakeZula posted:

Maeve was definitely blackmailing the other tech, but that still doesn't solve my problem with the plotline. At one point he literally agrees to make her super intelligent, when he could instead just move the slider to "super dumb" and solve the entire problem.

Because he doesn't want to? He wants her to be smart.

Felix seems to find beauty of what they're doing at Westworld in a way that the other hacks just don't. He'd rather be a coder than a glorified repairman. Basically, he's in the job for the sake of creating life and not just supporting the simulation of it. Unfortunately, Delos seems to be a particularly rigid hierarchy, one that doesn't allow employees to diversify or advance their porfolios, so he has to do it in secret. That's what the scene with the bird is about.

And that's why, when Maeve comes to life on his slab, he sees this as a chance to actually do the work he wants to do. Even though he's a bit scared of her, and is worried that she'll try to kill people, he doesn't try to decommission her. He wants to help her.

As to why Sylvester doesn't just stupefy Maeve, particularly after she starts to blackmail him, gently caress knows. That's the plot hole.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Open Source Idiom posted:

As to why Sylvester doesn't just stupefy Maeve, particularly after she starts to blackmail him, gently caress knows. That's the plot hole.

Right, and that's what was talking about

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lycus posted:

The actor or an old version of the character?

If it's the actor, that would be interesting, becuase that would mean we are probably going to see more flashbacks with Jimmi Simpson and the intrigue as William takes over his wife's company and they take over the park.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It was kind of touched on when Logan wanted to kill Dolores to stop William from following her, but I wonder how the park keeps guests from ruining other guests' experience, other than by making the park so vast and apparently sparsely populated. Like, say there's a bunch of people who want a relatively normal time hanging out in the starting town and drinking at the saloon or banging hookerbots or whatever. What would happen if an ambitiously dickish guest decided to waltz in and "kill" every guest in the area?

One thing that bugged me was in the pilot when Eschaton and his gang did their heist and realizing it only really works if you watch it as a scene in a movie or show. To see it as the park's creators wanted them to, a guest would apparently have to watch these guys shoot up the place, silently follow Eschaton into the saloon and watch him enhance in witty banter with Maeve, watch him escape, and then decide you're interested in following up on it. The writer guy was actually mad when someone shot Eschaton, but the fact the bandits survived their opening seconds of their assault in what's supposed to be a populated theme park was small miracle.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I pointed this out in the last thread, but this sort of general incompetence is found all over large corporations in every industry. gently caress ups always slip through the cracks at least for a little while because it takes time to find them and the folks/systems/processes used to deal with them are usually busy putting out fires or dealing with managerial bullshit.

When I saw those scenes I thought, “yeah, I see that poo poo all the time at work, typical gently caress ups trying to cut corners and not get yelled at by their own bosses”.

Especially when quality control is completely left out.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Dr Christmas posted:

It was kind of touched on when Logan wanted to kill Dolores to stop William from following her, but I wonder how the park keeps guests from ruining other guests' experience, other than by making the park so vast and apparently sparsely populated. Like, say there's a bunch of people who want a relatively normal time hanging out in the starting town and drinking at the saloon or banging hookerbots or whatever. What would happen if an ambitiously dickish guest decided to waltz in and "kill" every guest in the area?

the Control Room goes to insane lengths to keep the park running smoothly regarding guest interactions. Visitors get subjected to low-key psychological screening to see what kind of experience they're looking for, and then the computer system uses the hosts and narrative storylines to keep black hats and white hats away from each other. In fact, this even came up during an episode- Hector's gang (plus 2 guests) are in the middle of shooting up the starting town when the Control Room gets buzzed that a group of campers are heading in their direction. Stubbs then immediately gives the order for everything to wrap up- the guest bandits are subdued and hauled off as part of a new narrative loop, and Hector's gang is gunned down by the locals so the bodies can be cleaned up by the time Group 2 pulls in.

Dr Christmas posted:

One thing that bugged me was in the pilot when Eschaton and his gang did their heist and realizing it only really works if you watch it as a scene in a movie or show. To see it as the park's creators wanted them to, a guest would apparently have to watch these guys shoot up the place, silently follow Eschaton into the saloon and watch him enhance in witty banter with Maeve, watch him escape, and then decide you're interested in following up on it. The writer guy was actually mad when someone shot Eschaton, but the fact the bandits survived their opening seconds of their assault in what's supposed to be a populated theme park was small miracle.

that's just the Narrative staffers thinking that they're hot poo poo and insisting on that kind of character-interaction detail. it comes across like a scene from a film because that's how they WANT it to come across; both to make Westworld look and feel more like the experience the guests expect, and because the Narrative people probably don't want to accept that they're only one or two steps up from writing scripts for Disney animatronics

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

BurtLington posted:

Huh, I didn't think they were going to continue with the flashbacks

quote:

After surprising news broke earlier in the year that actor Jimmi Simpson would be returning for the second season of HBO's Westworld, even more intriguing news has popped up.

Ben Barnes, who plays William's old pal Logan, will also be making at least one appearance in forthcoming episodes.

“I definitely have heard [from the Westworld crew] because I can tell you that I have been on set at least once already,” he admitted to Screen Rant last week during a chat about his role in Marvel's The Punisher.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm glad Jimmi Simpson will be back, I love that guy.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I wonder if some of the new cast members will be visitors from before the park failure. It'd be interesting to see how William eventually turned crazy, I'm willing to bet he hosed over some humans and wouldn't be at all surprised if he killed someone.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I'm glad Jimmi Simpson will be back, I love that guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGxan6FUjSY

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Professor Shark posted:

I wonder if some of the new cast members will be visitors from before the park failure. It'd be interesting to see how William eventually turned crazy, I'm willing to bet he hosed over some humans and wouldn't be at all surprised if he killed someone.

Yeah, I'd like to see some behind the scenes stuff where he's taking over the business or whatever. Though, I guess he won't be hanging out with Dolores anymore.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dr Christmas posted:

there's gotta be griefers since westworld is just a real life mmo.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

I was under the impression that after she had her stats maxed out, she didn't go offline anymore. Just sat absolutely still acting like she was, which she can, because robot. Sylvester would be dead before he could access her diagnostics, and he knew it. He also has no way of knowing if she set up some kind of deadman switch to inform the company of the very thing she's using to blackmail him.

Allowing herself to be vulnerable due to downtime would be particularly stupid, which she isn't because of aforementioned stat maxing.

E: yeah. I just watched part of 7 to verify something. Sylvester and Felix have a mini conference out in the hall and Sylvester says that when they take up to Behavior to give her admin access, they instead wipe her "because she'll be out". That implies hosts are never offline unless their personalities or memories are being altered.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Was she just sitting still after she burnt her body to a cinder?