Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
was in off-site training all week, and i really missed my keyboard

this is what i am become now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Orange alps are the greatest of all time.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I literally haul my keyboard with me. We had an off-site planning event last week and I used it there. I am keeb trash.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
I couldn't bring myself to bring my thocky keyboard and subject virtual strangers to the noise :(

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
:same:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I use a Surface Pro 3 at work ... can't expect me to use that keyboard cover for every day work!!

Tempted to replace it with a Lenovo X Yoga...

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

I couldn't bring myself to bring my thocky keyboard and subject virtual strangers to the noise :(

Linears exist to solve that problem. Tactiles if you're really into that. But clicky switches are for heathen monsters who have no respect for others, or people who live alone.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

You and me buddy.

G-Prime posted:

Linears exist to solve that problem. Tactiles if you're really into that. But clicky switches are for heathen monsters who have no respect for others, or people who live alone.

I know what the words mean but which cherry models do the terrible tactile, clicky, and linear correspond to? I've used brown, clear, and green for reference.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

clamiam45 posted:

You and me buddy.

I know what the words mean but which cherry models do the terrible tactile, clicky, and linear correspond to? I've used brown, clear, and green for reference.

Brown and clear are both tactile with no click, while green is a clicky tactile switch. Both green and clear are stiffer switches.

Edit: I think red and black are the linear models.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

Edit: Smaller

Edit2: For reference

pre:
red         brown     blue
black       clear     green
dark grey   grey      white

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 16, 2017

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
MX Clears are god tier switches and ill fight anyone who says otherwise :colbert:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I'm really digging my kailh coppers.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

G-Prime posted:

My keeb is a Varmilo VA87M with Gateron Browns. I've added o-rings, but lol oops they don't really do anything for the SA-profile caps I use :v: It's still fairly thocky compared to my office's standard Logitech rubber-domers or especially the Microsoft Sculpt I used to run as my daily driver.

edit: following this advice on r/MechanicalKeyboards I've ordered some more, thicker o-rings from LWPL, so I guess I'll see how that goes

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 17, 2017

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

My keeb is a Varmilo VA87M with Gateron Browns. I've added o-rings, but lol oops they don't really do anything for the SA-profile caps I use :v: It's still fairly thocky compared to my office's standard Logitech rubber-domers or especially the Microsoft Sculpt I used to run as my daily driver.

edit: following this advice on r/MechanicalKeyboards I've ordered some more, thicker o-rings from LWPL, so I guess I'll see how that goes

Lol can you imagine some Normie reading this quote

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I can and I refuse to feel shame

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Welcome to the rest of your life.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

namaste faggots posted:

Lol can you imagine some Normie reading this quote

You could say that about any enthusiast hobbie. My wife gets confused when I talk about PCIe connectors and such with my mates. The same way i lose track of what going on when I hear gear heads at work talk about fixing the engines in their cars.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Anyone got some good resourcing for DIYing your keyboard? I've finally concluded nothing out there matches what I want.

I basically want to recreate the MS Natural 4K (in ISO 105 layout) but with mechanical keys, no numeric keyboard and no dumb "media keys". Every existing ergonomic mechanical keyboard does something stupid with the insert block and/or the arrow keys.

Ideally I'd like to recreate the curvature of the 4k keys, but that might be a bit tricky for babby's first keyboard, so to keep it simple I figure I'll just make it in two halves and just put a tapped hole in each corner of the board where you could put different length feet to adjust the height and angle of the board.

e: Basically
<- ->

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 17, 2017

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Just finished a pretty great two-week support saga with Varmilo. My VA87M was not able to switch the Caps Lock and Ctrl keys for some reason, and I found a Skype link on their website. Not expecting much, I hit the button and sent a message on a Friday afternoon, US time. Surprisingly, a few days later I get an actual response from Cynthia Chiu, based in Shenzhen, China. Long story short, over the course of two weeks of IMs left for each other I get a new firmware to flash, and now my keyboard functions as expected.

A++ would keeb again

mewse
May 2, 2006

Just finished a pretty great two-week support saga with Varmilo. My VA87M was not able to switch the Caps Lock and Ctrl keys for some reason, and I found a Skype link on their website. Not expecting much, I hit the button and sent a message on a Friday afternoon, US time. Surprisingly, a few days later I get an actual response from Cynthia Chiu, based in Shenzhen, China. Long story short, over the course of two weeks of IMs left for each other I get a new firmware to flash, and now my keyboard functions as expected.

A++ would keeb again

Was not expecting that story to end well.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Anyone know what sites will ship to Canada with minimal hassle? I have too much money apparently and so am thinking about purchasing some keycaps to replace my ugly CM Storm Rapid ones.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Brownie posted:

Anyone know what sites will ship to Canada with minimal hassle? I have too much money apparently and so am thinking about purchasing some keycaps to replace my ugly CM Storm Rapid ones.

Depends on what you're looking for. Keycaps from Signature Plastics ship from the US via pimpmykeyboards.com. You'll get dinged for customs since they put the actual value of the keycaps when sending it via USPS.

MaxKey, enjoyPBT, etc. keycaps can mostly be sourced from China via KBDFans, or AliExpress sellers and will ship to Canada with hilarious value amounts so you get minimal custom fees charged.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Brownie posted:

I think I'm going to stop ordering stuff from massdrop because the shipping fee is expensive for DHL global shipping program but then there's extra charges at the post office.

Ordering from China on aliexpress (I've ordered from kbdfans and mechanical primitive) is good but takes a while to show up. They lie about customs value :P

e: basically repeating the last post

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
That's all great to know. Thanks guys. Especially the thing about Massdrop.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

This hobby has definitely probably brained my damage. I've actually registered a Reddit account and actually joined a Massdrop drop despite the warnings above and on Massdrama

Oh well! v:v:v

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Massdrop definitely needs to fire whoever does their packaging. You don't really have much of a choice when it comes to certain things as a lot of the nicer looking sets are mostly on done via Massdrop. If it's not a Massdrop exclusive though? Get that poo poo elsewhere.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I thought $450 artisan caps were ridiculous, then I learned about LZ keyboards

and of course I had to decide my endgame would be an LZ-Ergo

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I don't see the point of a fixed "ergo" position.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

eh, worked for me on the Microsoft Sculpt, and this is only mechkeeb I've seen that's remotely similar

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Any Ergodox Infinity users having problems with the updated configurator? I wanted to make a simple change to my keymap, downloaded the bin, flashed it, and it's setting Layer1 on Layer0 (except, weirdly, it's not quite my Layer1 map, like 3 keys are different) with no apparent way to get to Layer0. I tried redownloading the bin, same thing. I tried the LTS version instead of Latest, same thing. I tried flashing with both their Windows GUI app and with dfu-util on OSX, same thing. I checked the kll files and the json file and they both look correct. I was able to reflash my old keymap back on so it's not an emergency but it's frustrating.

I found this GitHub issue which makes it sound like Ergodox support in kiibohd controller has been a clusterfuck for months and not a priority to fix while they work on K-Type support.

Now I'm torn between trying all the poo poo in that thread to compile the bin myself from multiple commit hashes or trying out an alternative firmware like QMK or TMK. Anyone with an Ergodox seen/solved this problem? Alternately, anyone with a kiibohd board (ErgoInf/Infinity 60%/Whitefox/K-Type/etc) tried QMK/TMK/other and know if I'm better off going that route or fighting through the kiibohd compile?

Pumprag posted:

Does anyone here have experiences with ergonomic split keyboards like the Matias Ergonomic Keyboard, the Mistel Barocco MD600 or the Ergodox?
Are they worth the extra money or did you switch back eventually?

I switched to Ergodox a year or two ago after decades of using Microsoft Natural/Ergonomic. Took a month or so to adjust, and every time I tweak my layout it takes a couple days to readjust but overall (and above post notwithstanding) I love both of my Ergodox Infinities and don't regret the obscene amount of time and money I've spent on them.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Lawen posted:

Any Ergodox Infinity users having problems with the updated configurator? I wanted to make a simple change to my keymap, downloaded the bin, flashed it, and it's setting Layer1 on Layer0 (except, weirdly, it's not quite my Layer1 map, like 3 keys are different) with no apparent way to get to Layer0. I tried redownloading the bin, same thing. I tried the LTS version instead of Latest, same thing. I tried flashing with both their Windows GUI app and with dfu-util on OSX, same thing. I checked the kll files and the json file and they both look correct. I was able to reflash my old keymap back on so it's not an emergency but it's frustrating.

I found this GitHub issue which makes it sound like Ergodox support in kiibohd controller has been a clusterfuck for months and not a priority to fix while they work on K-Type support.

Now I'm torn between trying all the poo poo in that thread to compile the bin myself from multiple commit hashes or trying out an alternative firmware like QMK or TMK. Anyone with an Ergodox seen/solved this problem? Alternately, anyone with a kiibohd board (ErgoInf/Infinity 60%/Whitefox/K-Type/etc) tried QMK/TMK/other and know if I'm better off going that route or fighting through the kiibohd compile?

I switched to Ergodox a year or two ago after decades of using Microsoft Natural/Ergonomic. Took a month or so to adjust, and every time I tweak my layout it takes a couple days to readjust but overall (and above post notwithstanding) I love both of my Ergodox Infinities and don't regret the obscene amount of time and money I've spent on them.

Yeah i had that on mine about a week ago and had to revert back to an older config that i had made. Im pretty sold on either going to Ergodox EZ's config or just barreling into QMK

FWIW, it now seems to be generating a lot more files in the zip than it used to.

Old config

new config

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

CyberPingu posted:

Yeah i had that on mine about a week ago and had to revert back to an older config that i had made. Im pretty sold on either going to Ergodox EZ's config or just barreling into QMK

FWIW, it now seems to be generating a lot more files in the zip than it used to.

Old config

new config

Yeah, I tried flashing the *secure*.bin as well and it didn't work at all, in fact I think it left it in FLASH state and unplugging/replugging immediately put it back in FLASH state which was super weird.

If you go down the QMK rabbit hole, report back on how it went. I'm currently leaning towards forking kiibohd/controller, trying to implement all the fixes from that Issues thread, and maybe submitting a PR for a working Ergodox branch that can live in their repo until they get around to fixing this. If I do that, I'll report back.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Lawen posted:

Any Ergodox Infinity users having problems with the updated configurator?

Yeah the online configurator has gotten horked and it's weird they're not addressing that.

There are three versions of the online configurator though and so you can perhaps find one that still works for you. I use the "alpha"; some other folks seem to also be fine with the "lts".

https://configurator.input.club/

https://configurator.input.club/lts/

https://configurator.input.club/alpha/

JLaw fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 21, 2017

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Maybe someday I will get into the ErgoDox mania...

lol someone in my town is trying to letgo of his https://us.letgo.com/en/i/ergodox-configurable-ergonomic-keyboard_d55cea90-cd5e-4427-b6a3-df5a518f540d

I currently have a Varmilo VA87M with Gateron Browns. I like the typing feel, and I like that I can swap Caps Lock and Ctrl. However the setting gets reset every time I undock my laptop, and sometimes it takes a couple times to swap the buttons again. A very minor inconvenience, but I'm looking at the MK Disco now, and it has the following tempting features:
  • DIP switch to swap CapsLock and Ctrl
  • RGB backlight with single-color mode and multi-color mode, plus more patterns like reactive (which tickles my fancy)
  • Other macro recording stuff that I probably won't ever use but is nice to have

I am concerned about this KBT switch though, having not heard much either way about them. Also, with the LEDs in the north position, my SA keycaps will probably negate any cool backlighting effect as opposed to the south-positioned LEDs on my VA87M. Finally, the Disco does not appear to have any media keys. All Fn combinations are to control the backlighting effects, but to be fair I hardly ever use the volume control on my current keyboard anyway.

Anyone have experience with the Disco and can provide their opinion on it?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Maybe someday I will get into the ErgoDox mania...

lol someone in my town is trying to letgo of his https://us.letgo.com/en/i/ergodox-configurable-ergonomic-keyboard_d55cea90-cd5e-4427-b6a3-df5a518f540d

$150 for an ergodox EZ with the tenting kits is a really good deal so long as it works.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

What have I gotten myself into?

I gotta say though, the PCB design on this is genius. All 4 are identical, but completely reversible for left and right. The switch mounts pop out so 2 of them are used as a plate that sandwiches the battery in them. I have no idea when I will put this together but I like it. Makes up for me needing to remove the bluetooth from my own custom because it was just too lovely and fussy.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

$150 for an ergodox EZ with the tenting kits is a really good deal so long as it works.

and so long as the face-to-face sale goes smoothly :v:

I'll have to pass though now that I've spent $ohmy on the following mess:

https://imgur.com/a/mf2gk

The reactive LEDs on the Ducky Pocket are making me think about swapping in the VA87M for a Ducky One RGB now...

There was a weird bug in the firmware for the Pocket where assigning the = key made it output a weird keycode, so it wouldn't output = in Windows but would in Linux. Luckily, flashing the latest firmware fixed it, and that was also really easy to do from their website.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I’ve gone crazy and bought something stupid expensive.

https://shop.norbauer.com/products/the-norbaforce-cnc-aluminum-housing-for-realforce-keyboards

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Nondescript Van posted:

What have I gotten myself into?

I gotta say though, the PCB design on this is genius. All 4 are identical, but completely reversible for left and right. The switch mounts pop out so 2 of them are used as a plate that sandwiches the battery in them. I have no idea when I will put this together but I like it. Makes up for me needing to remove the bluetooth from my own custom because it was just too lovely and fussy.

Hnnnnngggghhh i want a mitosis so badly but really cba building another split as my ergodox took so god drat long to build

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Anyone have any experience with Cooler Master's "mem-chanical" switches? It's impossible to get a hands-on test. I'd love an MX Brown keyboard but I'm on a budget.

I'm probably swearing in church here...