Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Like, there's still no 'game', the flight mechanics are still no clip, and the whole 'universe' is a barren wasteland of flat, rocky plains but this is going to look like huge progress to uninformed people. Astropub's stream is just him and three others talking about how cool it all is and driving vehicles around but nothing is actually happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Pantsbird posted:

I've managed to fit 8 deskeletonized children into one SCU. They are arranged facing out from the center (they each understand they are alone). The largest ones are in the corners. Some of them will die, but it's normal so long as it doesn't happen too soon into the journey because they are Meat. Place into the refrigerated portion of the Cargo Grid that will kill the rest of them because they are Meat. Stack the partially skeletonized Slaves (bones relevant to Functions) in the corners of the hold and in the corridors so they don't occlude the Cargo Grid and prevent Commodities loading.

You are next. Duck your head so the box can close. You will be treated as Dead so the player can Respawn. Stat points are withdrawn. You don't whimper to avoid suffering the indignity of betraying distress to yourself. The box is ventilated your soul will linger for as long as possible before the Air Conditioning.

gently caress poo poo piss. Bitch bitch bitch bitch angler shunt bitch. Bitch, the children will die when they pick up the Rock. The children will die when they flee from the Rock. The albino children will be taken to be raised properly in a healthy, nurturing environment and groomed for the Professions. If the mother resists she will be put down. If the mother flees her legs will be removed.

For those Outside you have at hand at least one instrument or circumstance (a high place, a bottle of pills, a large quantity of liquor, etc) that will end you with little effort. You've known this would happen for some time. All of your responsibilities are relieved. The Org is grateful for your service.

Doody.

Standard trade run to the stimpire then.

Trade is trade.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
You can bump someone interacting with the ship console and it knocks them out of the menu.

Got my new profession lined up in the Verse by the way.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Sharik posted:

To be fair, I was dressing my npc shopkeeps in period accurate clothing before sc

Why is the Macho Man Randy Savage wearing Miss Elizabeth's dress???

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

There's no way this streamer either isn't aware how broken 3.0 is (given how much he's focusing on walking around and looking at things and not actually doing anything) or he's been coached and/or paid.

The vocal enthusiasm for 3.0 doesn't match the fact that there's no enthusiasm in the playing.

Holy gently caress, they need to drive 37kms to get somewhere at a ridiculous snail's pace. Vehicle physics don't seem to be any different to no-clip starships.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

And then the Ursa rover somehow ended up in space.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Glad to see clipping out of the cockpit is still in 3.0. Gotta keep the classics.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

lmao, they must be really worried about the sale.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

It's so weird to me that he opened up the new missions screen, saw like half a dozen entries there, but didn't examine any of them and then went back to walking around in circles talking about how good it is.

That's certainly the behavior I expect of someone who has just gotten his hands on something new and exciting.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Milky Moor posted:

The really cynical part of me says that Dec 20 was said knowing that they'd push it out early so people get a burst of 'OMG it's here early' release adrenaline.

I don't think that's cynical at all. Considering they've missed every deadline they've set for themselves by a year or so, they probably felt they needed it. Early or late, they still can't keep a date though.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Tokamak posted:

lmao, they must be really worried about the sale.

Petrified. They're pulling out all the lame, broken tricks they have to get even a modicum of hype going for their stupid sale.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Milky Moor posted:

It's so weird to me that he opened up the new missions screen, saw like half a dozen entries there, but didn't examine any of them and then went back to walking around in circles talking about how good it is.

That's certainly the behavior I expect of someone who has just gotten his hands on something new and exciting.

AstroPub/Paul is in Evocati so already knows what's broken, and unlike other more popular spacegame streamers (e.g. DJKnight, BadNewsBaron, Captain_Richard) he has no talent to entertain or have fun. And showing bugs and breaking things most definitely isn't fun for him.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Did i miss something or are streamers showing 3.0 as a janky mess now?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Blue On Blue posted:

Did i miss something or are streamers showing 3.0 as a janky mess now?

It is on PTU, strangely the first wave of invites went to a bunch of streamers. The build they are on is impressive, like a drainage ditch is to someone dieing of thirst.

Janky, but expect everyone to call it the second coming of Jesuspatch.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
hello thread, missed you!!!!!!!!!!!

https://clips.twitch.tv/AcceptableArborealBottleKappa

here's some funnies to share with friends and family at your bountiful feasts today

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Drunk Theory posted:

It is on PTU, strangely the first wave of invites went to a bunch of streamers. The build they are on is impressive, like a drainage ditch is to someone dieing of thirst.

Janky, but expect everyone to call it the second coming of Jesuspatch.

They threw it at the streamer crowd to generate hype for the next spaceship sale. Otherwise the sale would have nothing to run on.

Streamers start selling dreams, ships get sold. CIG continues to operate.

And we still get to laugh at those who are continually buying in.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Hav posted:

The clean coder was a bible to me at one point. Clean Code vindicated a good two decades of trial and error.

Why software projects fail is another good read.

That book interests me. I just looked on Amazon for it and the author has another with a similar name:

The Clean Coder
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/01...uFdL&ref=plSrch

Clean Code
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/01...RTFL&ref=plSrch

Is the newer one a reprint, and if not, is it worth getting both?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

no_recall posted:

They threw it at the streamer crowd to generate hype for the next spaceship sale. Otherwise the sale would have nothing to run on.

Streamers start selling dreams, ships get sold. CIG continues to operate.

And we still get to laugh at those who are continually buying in.

Pretty much yah. Also buying/selling things and cargo are not currently "turned on" (love that weasel wording from streamers) in Jesuspatch

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

nawledgelambo posted:

hello thread, missed you!!!!!!!!!!!

https://clips.twitch.tv/AcceptableArborealBottleKappa

here's some funnies to share with friends and family at your bountiful feasts today

https://clips.twitch.tv/FlaccidGloriousToothDancingBanana

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
Hellblade devs posted their final dev diary, about 500k copies sold (break even was around 300k), about 3 years of development with an average team size of 20 people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDvATt2VBxU

quote:

It has been 3 months since the launch of Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice and today we are happy to be sharing the final development diary in our 30 video series. In the diary we discuss how the Hellblade Independent AAA approach has turned from experiment into proven model, detailing key numbers from Hellblade’s launch:

Over 75k pre-orders across PC and PS4 before launch.
250K units sold in the first week at $29.99.
Over $13m in revenue generated in 3 months.
500k units sold in 3 months, which puts the project beyond breakeven and into profit. Our prediction was to be at this point in 6 months from release.
Development took 3 years and with an average team size of 20.
Game sold as digital-only.
About half the sales were on PC.

Some words from Tameem Antoniades, Co-founder and Chief Creative Ninja, on the success of Hellblade:

"The escalating stakes in the AAA retail publishing model has killed off countless independent studios like us, many smaller publishers, and is now straining even the largest of publishers. This isn't survival of the fittest but a routing of the creative base upon which this industry was built.

The future isn't written and we don't believe that the writing is on the wall. AAA will always exist but we need strong alternatives as well.

Three years ago we announced our intention to find a way to do our best work outside of the AAA retail model and have openly documented the journey in our thirty development diaries.

The final step is to share our commercial model and digital sales data for the benefit of other developers. The more data we have for alternative business models, the more developers can take informed commercial and creative risks. For the benefit of our beloved medium, we'd like to encourage other developers to share their own data as well wherever possible.

Thank you to everyone who has supported us and made Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice a commercial and creative success."

Zadda fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 23, 2017

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Drunk Theory posted:

Pretty much yah. Also buying/selling things and cargo are not currently "turned on" (love that weasel wording from streamers) in Jesuspatch

Irony is that a core gameplay mechanic isn't working, and to them its yeah, its still in pre pre alpha THREE POINT ZERO.

I would've flipped my poo poo during Elites Alpha Phase if buying / selling was this broken.

e: with cargo, that just means piracy is in, right?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

wow so 3.0 is out in this year of our Lord 2017. guess this will put all those naysayers to bed and finally prove that only CIG are making the videogame entertainments of our future

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

alf_pogs posted:

wow so 3.0 is out in this year of our Lord 2017. guess this will put all those naysayers to bed and finally prove that only CIG are making the videogame entertainments of our future

Yep, it's out and we were all wrong. And hey, we get to revisit like 2.0 where the patch releases with 80% of the hyped features turned off. Oh well, you know how easily they iterated features into 2.0. I'm sure this is fine.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Something Jones 3.0 Live Blog

https://www.twitch.tv/theastropub

The buildings to the left and right of the flight path as he lands at Levski are 2d sprites - you can see them sliding around, they aren't attached to the ground. Shadows are baked on. It's quite obvious. e: if someone can grab this that'd be amazing, it's a live stream and I don't know what I'm doing.

So the seamless planetary landing is:
1: You fly to a waypoint in orbit
2: You fly down to the waypoint on the ground

It's a pre-determined flight path.

The travel between planetary bodies is pre-determined as well.

Performance-wise it is running like utter piss, it's really bad.

Mocap NPC at Levski, his hands clip through his body as he emotes, that's allegedly the problem with all of the SQ42 mocap

Single digit frames inside Levski base everywhere

BPM monitor on HUD and Mobiglass don't match

"This game is early access, if you aren't interested in early access it ain't for you"

11-14 fps in Levski pretty much consistently

Background music stuttering badly, .5s gaps of silence in the bg music

"50 players per server now, this has also decreased the fps"

Miles Eckhart NPC not working, wasn't able to interact, "there's really no point in going to Levski right now, you can't do missions right now"

PLAYER TWO HAS ENTERED!
Another player has arrived at Levski, let's see how this works. They arrange to meet at the 14fps statue...

Music is stuttering and skipping with a vengeance now

PLAYER 1 is waiting at the bar, PLAYER 2 is coming down the stairs now...

"Can I live with 15fps? No of course I can't live with 15fps"

PLAYER 3 on chat "It's just crashed on me, I'm gonna leave it there"

PLAYER 2 "It's so laggy it's hard to tell what the gently caress I'm looking at"

PLAYER 2 arrives at bar, PLAYER 1 can't see him
PLAYER 2 on voice chat "Scam! Get a refund!"

PLAYER 2 is trying to interact with Miles Eckhart, PLAYER 1 can see Eckhart interacting but can't see PLAYER 2

Aaaaaand PLAYER 1 exits the game

- end of live blog thanks for listening get a refund -

SomethingJones fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 23, 2017

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

Okay so this is the *Patch notes: moons.* part of 3.0

I look forward to watching people play a jank version of a system that Elite Dangerous has had for two years now, proclaiming all the while that it's like Chris is firing moonbeam pleasure rays directly up their assholes.

Star Citizen: it's like Chris is firing moonbeam pleasure rays directly up their assholes

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

SomethingJones posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/theastropub

The buildings to the left and right of the flight path as he lands at Levski are 2d sprites - you can see them sliding around, they aren't attached to the ground. Shadows are baked on. It's quite obvious. e: if someone can grab this that'd be amazing, it's a live stream and I don't know what I'm doing.

So the seamless planetary landing is:
1: You fly to a waypoint in orbit
2: You fly down to the waypoint on the ground

It's a pre-determined flight path.

The travel between planetary bodies is pre-determined as well.

I thought this is what I was seeing!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Chris Roberts reaction to the release https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hStcyDj830Q&t=2s

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXz57mzLOs0&t=61s

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Eh2d3MKKW4&t=55s

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ChambersArt/status/933598798907101185

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

15 fps while staring at a statue and two idling NPCs

Which is actually an improvement, earlier it was 11

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Milky Moor posted:

I thought this is what I was seeing!

It is. 100%. I thought it was a compression artifact at first. That's why they make you fly down a pre-determined flight path. The buildings off to the sides are 'stuck on' 2d sprites and it can't quite calculate exactly where to place them and on top of they lag a couple of frames behind the movement of everything else.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I love my dead gay mvp

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Astropub has loaded up an empty Star Marine game now, he gave up with 3.0. Don't blame him, 11-14fps with one other player that he couldn't even see. What a pile of poo poo, no gameplay in sight - like NONE.

You know what, watching that actually put me in the mood for firing up Elite and just doing some random planetary missions and taking the old buggy for a spin in 60fps with superior graphics

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

SomethingJones posted:

Astropub has loaded up an empty Star Marine game now, he gave up with 3.0. Don't blame him, 11-14fps with one other player that he couldn't even see. What a pile of poo poo, no gameplay in sight - like NONE.

You know what, watching that actually put me in the mood for firing up Elite and just doing some random planetary missions and taking the old buggy for a spin in 60fps with superior graphics

It really is blatant how much they are just throwing this out there to try and hype the sale. No other conceivable reason for them to show a bunch of sub-performing barren space otherwise.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Do you guys think this is a good time to buy back in?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Daztek posted:

It's always a good time to buy back in

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

no_recall posted:

Jobbo_fett 3.2
AutismVaccine 3.7
Quavers 3.7
Goredema 9
VictorianQueerLit 4.35
big nipples big life 1.7
Zzr 4.2
SomethingJones 4.2
Spiderdrake 5.2
Dark Off 2.3
Gradis 2.3
trucutru 2.7
tuo 4
IcarusUpHigh 5.9
alf_pogs 2.3
Krakenwagen 0.9
Latin Pheonix 4.5
Aramoro 2.8
Daztek 5.5
intardnation 3.3
Nyast 4.6
Virtual Captain 1.69
SCTrumpHaters 6
Bofast 4.44
Zest 0.7
Ash1138 2.2
Wuxi <5
D_Smart <1
AP Put me down for the same monthly total as last year, I always underestimate how dumb Citizens are so not going to this time.
peter gabriel 400 billion
Colostomy Bag 4
TheAgent 4.2
Eldragon 6
monkeytek 2.9
Incitatus 420,069
spacetoaster 700,000
Variable 5 3.14
Toops 3.14 million and 1
Son of a Vondruke! 3.75
DapperDon 1.5
Lladre 4.65
Natron 4.8
X-Ultron 350 crowdfunded purchases of Wing Commander trash.
Crobbler Benz 5.3
Sandweed 7.4
Enchanted Hat 2
The Titanic 4.8
Goosfraba 1.3
Nebiros 3.3
Blue On Blue 10
Taintrunner 0.7
Omniblivion 2.69
Thoatse 4,206,924.70
Raskolnikov 3.9
Saladin Rising 5.1
Dooguk 3.85
his nibs 2.75
Kosumo 5,325,000
ewe2 2.3
Hobold 0.8
grimcreaper 1.8
Milky Moor 2.7
Sunswipe 10
Hav 1.89
VealCutlet 48.9 million calories for lesnick that is
Drunk Theory 6.4

I'll be closing this soon, so get your votes in!

I'll call for 3.8 million because it just resonates with me that they'll almost get to four but won't succeed. Much like the game.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Daztek posted:

You'll want to get in on some of that land. Comes with it's own dust cloud animations on loop.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Drunk Theory posted:

It really is blatant how much they are just throwing this out there to try and hype the sale. No other conceivable reason for them to show a bunch of sub-performing barren space otherwise.

This is actually way worse than anything they've had out there, it's literally literally unplayable. I don't know what they're hoping to achieve by putting it out.

It's actually so bad it isn't even funny, at least the gamescom presentation was hilarious it had that going for it. Like seriously how long can you watch something running at 11-15fps, occasionally dipping to 7, sometimes hitting 18 with genuinely no gameplay in it? I can't see these guys even streaming it, it's like watching a badly buffering stream

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Daztek posted:

Sarsapariller is back in for $7k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Beef Hardcheese posted:

15 fps while staring at a statue and two idling NPCs

Which is actually an improvement, earlier it was 11

What the gently caress is this dude wearing.