Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

SomethingJones posted:

This is actually way worse than anything they've had out there, it's literally literally unplayable. I don't know what they're hoping to achieve by putting it out.

It's actually so bad it isn't even funny, at least the gamescom presentation was hilarious it had that going for it. Like seriously how long can you watch something running at 11-15fps, occasionally dipping to 7, sometimes hitting 18 with genuinely no gameplay in it? I can't see these guys even streaming it, it's like watching a badly buffering stream

the rover teleporting into space was amazing. Somehow rovers consistently deliver comedy in the jank department

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Kramjacks posted:

What the gently caress is this dude wearing.

Sex repellent.

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Beef Hardcheese posted:

15 fps while staring at a statue and two idling NPCs

Which is actually an improvement, earlier it was 11

That's where I checked out. I already had one of the streamers on the channel yelling at me over and over to "SHUT. THE. gently caress. UP." The righteous anger was because I made the mistake of saying in chat that Elite: Dangerous was fairly shallow but very playable, whereas Star Citizen has 1000 game play features promised, but only 10% are implemented yet (I was being generous to SC. It's more like 3%).

That brings to mind a Zen koan: Is all anger righteous anger, if it is anger coming from a Star Citizen backer?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Daztek posted:

Do you guys think this is a good time to buy back in?

I've been so impressed by the vision contained within 3.0 that I feel compelled to buy you back in Daztek, I won't take no for an answer either.

As of right now this loving second you are a proud Star Citizen Landowner, behold

That's my gift to you and even though it only cost me 1,500 space dollahs in 10 years it'll be worth MILLIONS, such is the vision of the Turbulent Crobberts

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Goredema posted:

That's where I checked out. I already had one of the streamers on the channel yelling at me over and over to "SHUT. THE. gently caress. UP." The righteous anger was because I made the mistake of saying in chat that Elite: Dangerous was fairly shallow but very playable, whereas Star Citizen has 1000 game play features promised, but only 10% are implemented yet (I was being generous to SC. It's more like 3%).

That brings to mind a Zen koan: Is all anger righteous anger, if it is anger coming from a Star Citizen backer?

You also said SC was years away :lol:

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Abuminable posted:

You also said SC was years away :lol:

In that sentence, I was also being generous. In Rome, they would estimate the time left until Star Citizen releases using X, not I.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Solarin posted:

the rover teleporting into space was amazing. Somehow rovers consistently deliver comedy in the jank department

Yeah. The rovers were bizarre.

A rover with three passengers.
One passenger died in his seat when they went over a small bump.
Then the driver got out of his driving seat and died. This seemed to teleport the rover, with the last guy still inside, into space.
Last passenger asphyxiates because the rover won't let you open doors unless you're standing on the ground and in space you're floating so you can't open the door to get to the cockpit to refill your air.

I'd love to see the code at work.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/MalcolmSteiner/status/933598954972889088

So much fun!

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

WTFO has also started "playing" Star Marine after attempting to fly over the ice wasteland at 10fps. Also entirely unable to find anyone else to start a match.

I think it's time to buy in, folks. This patch is the big one.

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
patch notes if they haven't been posted already: https://pastebin.com/UMJCkp86

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Zadda posted:

patch notes if they haven't been posted already: https://pastebin.com/UMJCkp86

"You should now see NPCs going about their daily lives at all 3 major landing zones (Grim Hex, Port Olisar, and Levski)."

Astropub followed an NPC which was running down a couple of corridors, then it went through a door. When Astropub went through the door the NPC was gone. I'd need to watch it again to be certain that this really happened.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

SomethingJones posted:

I've been so impressed by the vision contained within 3.0 that I feel compelled to buy you back in Daztek, I won't take no for an answer either.

As of right now this loving second you are a proud Star Citizen Landowner, behold

That's my gift to you and even though it only cost me 1,500 space dollahs in 10 years it'll be worth MILLIONS, such is the vision of the Turbulent Crobberts

:swoon:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Saltosaurus is staring at a black screen answering questions. Hello darkness my old friend.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/203592426?t=01h57m10s

Lol, from a game design perspective, you will begin to see absolutely everything that Elite Dangerous did right.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Called it.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Zadda posted:

Hellblade devs posted their final dev diary, about 500k copies sold (break even was around 300k), about 3 years of development with an average team size of 20 people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDvATt2VBxU

About the community / fan base support as a key for game awareness:

08:26

"We made a bet that if we could be transparent and deliver on our promises that you would support us."

Guys, I think CIG forgot about one tiny detail.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Goredema posted:

It's this kind of thing that really sells Star Citizen to me, you know? I see a grown-rear end adult acting like this because someone criticized his video game, and I think wow, maybe he's got a point. Maybe Star Citizen is just that good

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

no_recall posted:

Lol, from a game design perspective, you will begin to see absolutely everything that Elite Dangerous did right.

ok so

dude tries to get out of his ship, primary elevator is bugged and wont go down

goes to cargo bay to exit via cargo door

wants to skip the immersive ladder animation by vaulting over it

ladder will have none of it and bugs the player into a ladder animation with some serious clipping issues thrown in after the player already landed behind the ladder

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Mikojan posted:

ok so

dude tries to get out of his ship, primary elevator is bugged and wont go down

goes to cargo bay to exit via cargo door

ladder will have none of it and bugs the player into a ladder animation with some serious clipping issues thrown in after the player already landed behind the ladder

Keep watching it's amazing

Wait until you see the NPCs

They disappear and reappear, run on the spot and I swear to god a black dude turned into a white dude

Miles Eckhart: "You lookin' for s-"

SomethingJones fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 23, 2017

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

no_recall posted:

Keep watching past the waiting to land, and see the amazing SUBSUMPTION AI attempt to run through a handrail for 4 minutes, while the streamer gets stuck sitting on a bench and has to commit suicide.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Mikojan posted:

CIG have gone to great lengths to ensure immersion is maintained.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

Something Jones 3.0 Live Blog

https://www.twitch.tv/theastropub

The buildings to the left and right of the flight path as he lands at Levski are 2d sprites - you can see them sliding around, they aren't attached to the ground. Shadows are baked on. It's quite obvious. e: if someone can grab this that'd be amazing, it's a live stream and I don't know what I'm doing.

So the seamless planetary landing is:
1: You fly to a waypoint in orbit
2: You fly down to the waypoint on the ground

It's a pre-determined flight path.

The travel between planetary bodies is pre-determined as well.

Can you expand a bit on that? Pre-determined as in the player cant really go anywhere elese at all and is stuck to a unique and fixed straight line from orbit to surface?

I mean, could a player conceivably initiate Quantum travel from the orbit waypoint in a random direction roughly paralel to the surface for a second or two, deactivate said QT, and then fly down to surface anywhere around the planet freely?

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 23, 2017

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Daztek posted:

Do you guys think this is a good time to buy back in?

ELE Sale.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

MedicineHut posted:

Can you expand a bit on that? Pre-determined as in the player cant really go anywhere elese at all and is stuck to a unique and fixed straight line from orbit to surface?

I mean, could a player conceivably initiate Quantum travel from the orbit waypoint in a direction roughly close paralel to the surface for a few seconds, deactivate said QT and then fly down to surface anywhere around the planet freely?

I don't think there's anything stopping a player from moving off the pre-determined path, but it sort of railroads you by the quantum jump taking you to point A which is a point above the surface. Now when you select Levski as your target you are pointed toward a waypoint at point B which is Levski base itself.

So if you fly down toward POINT B represented by a reticule in your HUD and this takes you down a 30 degree slope toward the base. As you descend you will see mountain ranges to the left and right and Levski base in the distance in the middle. Dotted along those mountain ranges are towers and buildings which are 2d sprites. Only when you arrive at Levski do you see actual 3d buildings.

Towers and buildings are placed along the route laid out by the waypoints. The game is expecting you to follow the waypoints.

If the player is able to quantum jump to any point they choose then they could fly their own path but I didn't realise you could do that. I thought you selected a point and jumped to it, and the way they've laid out all these little wobbly sprites along the route makes it look that they're expecting you to do just that.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

no_recall posted:

Everyone catching up on the thread - this is a pro watch

This is go and make yourself a cup of coffee or grab a beer and strap yourself in stuff. It just keeps getting better. I'm not even going to post spoilers

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Star Citizen is beginning to look like a half-assed Elite Dangerous clone.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
"I love this, it's like discovering a whole new game. And after you play the same game over and over, the same alpha, it's kind of interesting to ah... oh"

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I don't know about that second one. That guy seems to succeed at what he's attempting.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

lol everything is so broken, what was CIG thinking

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Daztek posted:

lol everything is so broken, what was CIG thinking

they weren't~

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe
I'm Archering Thoatse's gimmick.

MFW all my hopes and dreams for Star Citizen came true on Thanksgiving.
All those extra shifts at Subway were worth it. My $5,000 is in good hands.

Godspeed, Christ Roberts.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
The Levski moon is smaller than the Mun in Kerbal

And somehow looks worse

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

If the player is able to quantum jump to any point they choose then they could fly their own path but I didn't realise you could do that.

Afaik, in theory QT should allow you to do it. Would be interesting to see if a streamer does it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

ahmini
May 5, 2009

Daztek posted:

they weren't~

Au contraire

This is a genius move. Backers have been starved of any new content for basically a year, they'll accept any dross thrown at them with the "3.0" tag. They'll praise the Crobbler from the rooftops for sticking it to Derp Smut and his band of merry goons for "releasing early". Watch them open their wallets and the cash flow forth for the upcoming ship sales.

Of course, after about a couple of weeks everyone will be extremely frustrated with all the issues, plus QA will be snowed under with a staggering number of bug reports. That doesn't matter though, CIG will have raked in enough cash to limp along another year at least.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

MedicineHut posted:

Afaik, in theory QT should allow you to do it. Would be interesting to see if a streamer does it.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/203592426?t=02h41m00s

Watch this re entry

I don't think the game is expecting you to approach it any other way other than from the pre-determined direction?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Saurus is getting salty about everything being broken. I've had him on in the background for the last hour, and he still hasn't managed to get into a ship.