Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Tokamak posted:

Saurus is getting salty about everything being broken. I've had him on in the background for the last hour, and he still hasn't managed to get into a ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SomethingJones posted:

The Levski moon is smaller than the Mun in Kerbal

And somehow looks worse

lmao, after a few "optimization passes" it's gonna be literally freelancer sized spheres

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

He managed to spawn a ship on the landing pad, but he couldn't open the doors.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Here's a great view of these weird 2d sprites
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/203592426?t=02h43m20s

Watch the tower on the horizon, see how it moves around as the ships rolls

It's like a travelling matte

edit - is it all the buildings? Nothing seems to be on or attached to the ground, it's as if the planet surface is being drawn by one system, the buildings are being drawn by another, and then the two are overlayed on top of each other and don't quite move together - the buildings lag behind the ground

SomethingJones fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 23, 2017

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

SomethingJones posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/203592426?t=02h41m00s

Watch this re entry

I don't think the game is expecting you to approach it any other way other than from the pre-determined direction?

Forget about the reentry, I can't get over how absolutely awful the ship looks as it turns in space. There is absolutely no sense of weight, momentum, or actual physical impact in the world that you're inhabiting.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
why are so many of these 3.0 streamers also giving out $25 star citizen gift cards

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Milky Moor posted:

why are so many of these 3.0 streamers also giving out $25 star citizen gift cards

It is almost as if they are being paid to shill.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ahmini posted:

Au contraire

This is a genius move. Backers have been starved of any new content for basically a year, they'll accept any dross thrown at them with the "3.0" tag. They'll praise the Crobbler from the rooftops for sticking it to Derp Smut and his band of merry goons for "releasing early". Watch them open their wallets and the cash flow forth for the upcoming ship sales.

Of course, after about a couple of weeks everyone will be extremely frustrated with all the issues, plus QA will be snowed under with a staggering number of bug reports. That doesn't matter though, CIG will have raked in enough cash to limp along another year at least.
Yep, absolutely. This is operating under a very different set of dynamics as opposed to rational actors and how they would interpret this release. To us, it's xxx millions of dollars poured into a project that looks a half step above Moonbase 332. To the cherished whale, for whom as established STAR CITIZEN=GOOD it is another step on the difficult journey to their dreams.They have been indoctrinated into the idea that the journey is difficult, and therefore, the work should come slowly.

They'll lose a couple more this year than last, as progress is brainwashing shatteringly bad, but it's still a way to ease the blurry carrot a little closer to their face. A buggy mess is to be expected! The most difficult game ever made! Publishers hate it! AAAA! No one has ever done this before!

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Guys I have a bad feeling that Star Citizen 3.0 is utter shite

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Karl you were always my favourite Star Citizen Space Marshall, please come back here to post so we can all enjoy the exciting conclusion to Star Citizen together.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

SomethingJones posted:

Guys I have a bad feeling that Star Citizen 3.0 is utter shite

Get out, it's alpha, this was expected!!!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SomethingJones posted:

This is a technique guild wars 1 (which both looked and performed extremely well when it released) used, and while it worked well most of the time, there were instances where it was super jarring.

GW1 released in 2005 though.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Truga posted:

This is a technique guild wars 1 (which both looked and performed extremely well when it released) used, and while it worked well most of the time, there were instances where it was super jarring.

GW1 released in 2005 though.

One of the old Delta Force games tried it as well - the original Delta Force (amazing game for the time btw) used voxels universally but in the sequel they tried to mix in 2d sprites to contruct buildings. It didn't work very well at all and I think it was either canned or released with an apology/explanation in the manual.

All this 3.0 planetary stuff from the re-entry to the landing looks weird and odd, not just in how badly the ship physics are (pretty non existent in fact) but even from a distance the surface looks flat and just strange. I would love to read a dev comment on it, on why it looks odd and wrong and unconvincing to me.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://clips.twitch.tv/JollyVibrantSparrowTBCheesePull

Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 in 60 seconds

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SomethingJones posted:

edit - is it all the buildings? Nothing seems to be on or attached to the ground, it's as if the planet surface is being drawn by one system, the buildings are being drawn by another, and then the two are overlayed on top of each other and don't quite move together - the buildings lag behind the ground

There is a weird disconnect. I doubt they are 2D sprites, as syncing them from enough angles into a 3D engine is more work that them being a simple 3D object with a texture. So the second option, the "planetary tech" geometry being calculated and then rendered in a different step than the building's geometry seems more likely to me.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

One of the old Delta Force games tried it as well - the original Delta Force (amazing game for the time btw) used voxels universally but in the sequel they tried to mix in 2d sprites to contruct buildings. It didn't work very well at all and I think it was either canned or released with an apology/explanation in the manual.

All this 3.0 planetary stuff from the re-entry to the landing looks weird and odd, not just in how badly the ship physics are (pretty non existent in fact) but even from a distance the surface looks flat and just strange. I would love to read a dev comment on it, on why it looks odd and wrong and unconvincing to me.

Ben Parry should be your man, post at fdev´s.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
In any case, it looks like poo poo. That moon is smaller than the Death Star.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

trucutru posted:

There is a weird disconnect. I doubt they are 2D sprites, as syncing them from enough angles into a 3D engine is more work that them being a simple 3D object with a texture. So the second option, the "planetary tech" geometry being calculated and then rendered in a different step than the building's geometry seems more likely to me.

That makes sense, they can't be 2d sprites - so all the 3d objects are being overlayed onto the terrain and they aren't exactly synced when you move around.

Well they hosed that up didn't they

I can just imagine if Elite Horizons did this, Frontier would have been embarrassed to show it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

SomethingJones posted:

I'm wondering how much of it is tied to the use of quantum travel to get around. For example, when you quantum travel to each landing corridor, does it load in the 'real' planet? If you just traveled without the q-travel, would you arrive at a low detail model that's there to create an illusion?

roflingstones
May 19, 2009
https://clips.twitch.tv/SuavePoorGrasshopperDogFace

looks like emergent horror elements are in!!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SomethingJones posted:

That makes sense, they can't be 2d sprites - so all the 3d objects are being overlayed onto the terrain and they aren't exactly synced when you move around.

Well they hosed that up didn't they

I can just imagine if Elite Horizons did this, Frontier would have been embarrassed to show it.

When the dude clips thru the moon one minute into this https://www.twitch.tv/videos/203592426?t=02h43m20s you can see which objects are "real" (that is, not part of the moon). So the buildings and the stalagmite-like rock formations are regular 3D objects while the slopes and hills are the ground generated by the planetary tech.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 23, 2017

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Abuminable posted:

CIG have gone to great lengths to ensure immersion is maintained.
Immersion will continue until morale improves.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Ironically the only thing I've seen working in 3.0 are the doors.

Everything else is broken, everything.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

trucutru posted:

When the dude clips thru the moon one minute into this https://www.twitch.tv/videos/203592426?t=02h43m20s you can see which objects are "real" (that is, not part of the moon). So the buildings and the stalagmite-like rock formations are regular 3D objects while the slopes and hills are the ground generated by the planetary tech.

Got it.

Unfortunately for CIG the two things don't move together and create some very weird effects. I actually had it the wrong way around - the planetary tech lags behind the buildings - so in the clip of the tower on the horizon I linked the tower moves ahead of the background, creating the impression that it is closer than the hill it is stood on. In other words you get a parallax effect that makes the tower look like its 20 feet in front of you instead of hundreds of feet away on the horizon.

I'm absolutely sure this is one of the 100 bugs that will be fixed in the next month.

here's the link, you can't unsee it. Tower toward the top of the frame - all the buildings are doing the same thing.

SomethingJones fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 23, 2017

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

SomethingJones posted:

That sounds like hyperbole, but you're actually stating fact. Every system is broken.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SomethingJones posted:

babby steps

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
The next 10 days are going to be hilarious.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/home-featured-content/16249-The-Anniversary-Special

It's not often that you see a picture of a space plane making GBS threads itself.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Reprise from October 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlILMmv17E4

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

what was this gif from anyway?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

do games studios usually tell people to check out certain streamers

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Milky Moor posted:

do games studios usually tell people to check out certain streamers

blizz does it on on their battle.net app

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

trucutru posted:

My guess is the buildings are being rendered in a separate pass. I suspect the camera updates are not synched correctly.
You can usually confirm this is the case if the effect gets worse the faster you move.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

The next 10 days are going to be hilarious.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/home-featured-content/16249-The-Anniversary-Special

It's not often that you see a picture of a space plane making GBS threads itself.

Horthorn posted:

Think Supercars -
people spend huge amounts on supercars and then store them in their garages, seldom if ever driving them.
people spend huge amounts on spaceships and then store them in their hangers, seldom if ever flying them.
Yes, my spaceship is bigger then yours and I can prove it.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

More than 2000 years after the original event, we get to celebrate this very special time of year by watching the Jesus patch being born and then instantly crucified.

It's magical, and I for one am glad that unlike the Romans, we have easy access to plentiful supplies of popcorn. :)

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

Why do the 'vessel' thrusters sound like Ben chewing the mic?

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Sabreseven posted:

Why do the 'vessel' thrusters sound like Ben chewing the mic?

What does your heart tell you?

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

So 3.0 is out now?

Did anyone call it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Abuminable posted:

What does your heart tell you?

It tells me, Ben is hungry. :D