Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Cooking a pre-cooked half ham in the ol' Joule tomorrow, then following up with Deviled Eggs. I've got the eggs exactly how I want them, but I haven't done ham any any fashion before. What can go wrong with SV hams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Doc Walrus posted:

Cooking a pre-cooked half ham in the ol' Joule tomorrow, then following up with Deviled Eggs. I've got the eggs exactly how I want them, but I haven't done ham any any fashion before. What can go wrong with SV hams?

I've had a lot of success with ham. Basically, I just SV it for a lot longer than you'd think (like, 6 hours iirc?) and then I do a few glaze cycles in a really hot oven. Best ham I've ever had, and if you glaze on a pan where you can catch the drippings, the mix of ham juice + extra glaze is *amazing* as a garnish/dipping sauce.

I assume the ham came already vacuum-sealed? My only concern about this is that I can never be confident that the seal on the bag wasn't damaged during handling at some point when living in the fridge at the grocer, on the way home, in my own fridge, etc.

I've actually been considering looking into a larger vacuum sealer for this purpose. My wife did a cursory check and I guess anything over 11" is turbo-expensive though. I'm going to do some more digging right now, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd be glad to hear them!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Zarin posted:

I've actually been considering looking into a larger vacuum sealer for this purpose. My wife did a cursory check and I guess anything over 11" is turbo-expensive though. I'm going to do some more digging right now, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd be glad to hear them!

You need something that fits 11 inches but expands up to 14 inches

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:heysexy:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Steve Yun posted:

You need something that fits 11 inches but expands up to 14 inches

Oh, thanks for the tip! I saw those on their website after I posted that, but I still wasn't sure if they would produce good results with my little Seal-a-Meal. You've had good luck with them, I take it?

. . . then, somehow, I fell into a rabbit hole of watching chamber sealers on YouTube, and I decided that if I was ever gonna drop $serious on a vacuum sealer, it'd have to be a chamber one, size be damned.

So, I think I'll give a roll of those expanding bags a go and see what happens. I'm not sure they're cheap enough to just over-seal *everything* I buy that is bigger than 11", but probably worth it for expensive cuts of meat.

Speaking of, I broke a 12lb Prime Rib down into 3 pieces for the 11" bags, so I'm gonna SV a chunk of that tonight for Thanksgiving and see how that goes. I saw that Kenji recommended the open-air method for Prime Rib, but I've been doing that once or twice a year for the last 7 years or so; I'm feeling adventurous. Anyone have any luck and/or tips for Prime Rib?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I bought a chamber vac. It’s a small one, and can only do smaller joints, but it’s the size of a microwave.

I have no idea if it’s better or worse than a bench top model as I’ve never owned one. But boiling lukewarm things is worth it.

Until it boils over and gets loving everywhere.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Depends if any seal a meal has any logic that tells it to give up if it doesn't achieve an ideal vacuum in a certain amount of time, because the bags are big and will have way more air.

You can test this by sucking on a bag that's open on both sides and seeing if the seal a meal gives up or not

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Steve Yun posted:

Depends if any seal a meal has any logic that tells it to give up if it doesn't achieve an ideal vacuum in a certain amount of time, because the bags are big and will have way more air.

You can test this by sucking on a bag that's open on both sides and seeing if the seal a meal gives up or not

I think I've done this before on accident (while trying to make a bag and skipping the seal-only step, whoops) and it just kept going ... which is how I figured out that something wasn't quite right, after I sat there holding the top down for an awkward length of time.

I suppose that no matter what, it's WAY less than the price of a large sealer, so it's not that pricey of an experiment.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sous vide turkey next year. One breast was 130 while the other was 165! Tested multiple depths and spots too. Some foil tenting and rolling the bird on the side got it to 176 and 155. Haven't eaten the 176 side yet but too much hassle and fiddling.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

Sous vide turkey next year. One breast was 130 while the other was 165! Tested multiple depths and spots too. Some foil tenting and rolling the bird on the side got it to 176 and 155. Haven't eaten the 176 side yet but too much hassle and fiddling.
I did Kenji's sous vide breast recipe this year and was fantastic. 1/10th the effort of the turchetta recipe and drat near as good. I added some sage and rosemary into the bag as well

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/sous-vide-turkey-breast-crispy-skin-recipe-thanksgiving.html

My relatives were a bit wary until I told them it was a "deconstructed" roast turkey and then they were all in

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I did the turchetta for the second time and it was great again. I deep fried instead of pan fried to finish it this time and liked it better. I also cut the salt back about 25% and that helped too.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

SV cooker with a gimmick - it has a water cooler too, so you can add your ingredients and it'll hold them until it's time to SV, potentially hours or I guess days later.

Downsides: you have to store it, it's a limited capacity unlike an immersion circulator, it's normally $400. For Cyber Monday it's $300 with 20 bags.

https://deals.kinja.com/save-100-on-mellow-the-sous-vide-cooker-that-has-dinn-1820690658

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Got my Anova cooker in today, gonna make myself a steak tonight! Is there still a steak thread? I don't see it anywhere.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

SV cooker with a gimmick - it has a water cooler too, so you can add your ingredients and it'll hold them until it's time to SV, potentially hours or I guess days later.

Downsides: you have to store it, it's a limited capacity unlike an immersion circulator, it's normally $400. For Cyber Monday it's $300 with 20 bags.

https://deals.kinja.com/save-100-on-mellow-the-sous-vide-cooker-that-has-dinn-1820690658

That device had a Goon working on it, IIRC.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

It was supposed to come out like 3 years ago so yeah definitely has the scent of goon project.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I'm impressed that it somehow made it to market at all.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I followed it for a long time but cancelled my preorders after I had three other working circulators.

Ze was a cool person about it. They had some interesting engineering challenges and I would love to hear about how they were resolved. The self sealing bags are interesting too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I did the same thing wrt cancellation, and am also interested in the engineering aspect.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I made the turchetta - honestly it was p easy. Prep took ~15 minutes of me farting around. I started with a fresh organic breast from the store though so I didn't have to break it down.

Cure was agonizing waiting for it, then I cooked it in a big Rubbermaid roughneck bin for five hours.

I could not get the crisp and brown I wanted from the pan sear- I needed it hotter I guess and it was blowing oil all over my freshly cleaned kitchen. A deep fryer would be the way to go.

The flavor is neat and potent - honestly the breast came out so moist I would wonder that just running the breast SV on its own would have been great.

Sevryn
Mar 7, 2002

This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but with a whimper.
My brother and I have been tapped to tackle a Christmas dinner for the family this year, unfortunately there's a very slim chance I'll actually be off work so I want to make sure we've done as much prep as possible so that my slightly less culinary-inclined sibling won't have any issues day of. Gonna break down, brine, and puddle a couple of turkeys, but I'm wondering what the best methods would be for searing up right before dinner. Pan searing all those pieces individual will get messy and time consuming, is blasting them in a 500 degree oven enough to get that skin nice and crispy without drying out the rest of the meat? Has anyone tried one of those air fryers, how do those work with sous vide proteins?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
While not an exact solution for you, I can say that seperating the skin from meat will result in super crispy skin. Just take a couple fingers and insert just under the skin. Work it aroind until you get as much seperated as possible.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Sevryn posted:

My brother and I have been tapped to tackle a Christmas dinner for the family this year, unfortunately there's a very slim chance I'll actually be off work so I want to make sure we've done as much prep as possible so that my slightly less culinary-inclined sibling won't have any issues day of. Gonna break down, brine, and puddle a couple of turkeys, but I'm wondering what the best methods would be for searing up right before dinner. Pan searing all those pieces individual will get messy and time consuming, is blasting them in a 500 degree oven enough to get that skin nice and crispy without drying out the rest of the meat? Has anyone tried one of those air fryers, how do those work with sous vide proteins?

I second swickle's suggestion of cooking the skin separately.
I used the recipe that Epiphyte mentioned and it was great.

Epiphyte posted:

I did Kenji's sous vide breast recipe this year and was fantastic. 1/10th the effort of the turchetta recipe and drat near as good. I added some sage and rosemary into the bag as well

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/sous-vide-turkey-breast-crispy-skin-recipe-thanksgiving.html

For the legs I followed the chefsteps recipe: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/crispy-tender-confit-turkey-legs
I deboned the legs before they went under the broiler and sliced them up afterwards.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I believe swickles is suggesting to loosen the skin, not cook it separately.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

the key to crispy skin is drying it before you attempt to crisp it

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

BrianBoitano posted:

Yes, this.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

swickles posted:

Yes, this.

Whoops, what I get for quickly scanning through posts.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I'm getting my Mom an Anova for Christmas, she's completely new to the technique. She also loves cookbooks so I want to get her a good cookbook that breaks down the basics of sous vide so she doesn't have to get her iPad out every time she wants to make something.

Would The Food Lab be a good choice? He's one of my go to people for recipes when I'm cooking but I wasn't sure how in depth he gets into the technique in the book.

There are tons available on Amazon so I was hoping someone had a good one they could recommend. I'm looking for more of an "instruction manual" rather than a collection of recipes.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I really like The Food Lab, though there's not a ton of SV stuff in there. Apparently Kenji's new book (not out yet) is going to have a lot more SV stuff.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Wife got me an Anova for Christmas and also got me a cook book. This is the one that she got me. I like it so far. I've cooked a number of dishes so far which have been good. There is a Siracha Chicken with crispy skin which is good. If you have any questions let me know and I'll look it up for you. One of the things I do like about the book is they give you your cook time like 1hr (up to 4hr). In addition they also point out stuff like re-heating instructions if you plan on making it the night before or something.

https://www.amazon.com/Sous-Vide-Home-Technique-Perfectly/dp/0399578064/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1512083719&sr=8-2&keywords=sous+vide+cookbook

sterster fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 1, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have that book too! I made the Sriracha chicken last night and it was really zesty.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Taintrunner posted:

I have that book too! I made the Sriracha chicken last night and it was really zesty.

What do you make with your chicken? My wife and I make a Cilantro Lime Rice with it. Really compliments it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

LordOfThePants posted:

I'm looking for more of an "instruction manual" rather than a collection of recipes.

The Joule app has a ton of guides for time and temp for various meats, which you could use with any SV device. It has a "visual doneness" guide which is really nice, as while my wife doesn't remember what temperature she likes her chicken breast, she can look at the gifs showing how juicy the meat is and say "oh yeah that one."

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Whenever I have a meat-doneness question re: Sous Vide, I google: “serious eats <meat_name> guide soups vide” and I get to the page and there’s pics and cross sections for various times and temp ranges. Hasn’t steered me wrong yet.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Has anyone used a dry-aging bag? It's supposed to let moisture out, and probably exists to downplay the icky factor of having a hunk of uncovered meat in the fridge:

https://www.amazon.com/UMAi-Dry%C2%AE-Ribeye-Striploin-Packet/dp/B00HUS4J4S/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1512147559&sr=8-1&keywords=umai+dry

I'm dry aging for Christmas for the first time this year. 23 days isn't as much as I'd like, but it's better than nothing. I can dedicate a corner of the beer fridge to this, but I'm on the fence about dropping $30 for a bag when I know people do it without one.

edit for proper link.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 1, 2017

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

BrianBoitano posted:

Has anyone used a dry-aging bag? It's supposed to let moisture out, and probably exists to downplay the icky factor of having a hunk of uncovered meat in the fridge:

https://www.amazon.com/UMAi-Dry%AE-Ribeye-Striploin-Packet/

I'm dry aging for Christmas for the first time this year. 23 days isn't as much as I'd like, but it's better than nothing. I can dedicate a corner of the beer fridge to this, but I'm on the fence about dropping $30 for a bag when I know people do it without one.

link doesn't work. There are cute dogs though.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

sterster posted:

link doesn't work. There are cute dogs though.

Whoops. Fixed: https://www.amazon.com/UMAi-Dry%C2%AE-Ribeye-Striploin-Packet/dp/B00HUS4J4S/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1512147559&sr=8-1&keywords=umai+dry

That's why I get for trying to cut the extra search trackers off the url!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
That doesn't seem big enough to hold a chunk of meat that would be worth dry-aging. You really can't dry-age individual steaks, you need to go with primals or at least sub-primals.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 1, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Seemed to work okay for these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fImCbiE4JbM

Should I be trying something larger than that? I am 100% new to this, was just going to use the instructions in The Food Lab, which seem to be available online here: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-dry-aging-beef-at-home.html

The above guide includes this post-aging, trim your meat shot:

That looks like it'll fit in a 1 foot x 2 foot bag, even before trimming, doesn't it?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BrianBoitano posted:

Should I be trying something larger than that? I am 100% new to this, was just going to use the instructions in The Food Lab, which seem to be available online here: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-dry-aging-beef-at-home.html

The above guide includes this post-aging, trim your meat shot:

That looks like it'll fit in a 1 foot x 2 foot bag, even before trimming, doesn't it?

It might, but if you're going by the Food Lab guide he specifically says that the bags didn't make any difference in terms of taste but did facilitate mold growth and just recommends doing it without the bag.

It also links to this:

http://blog.golbsalt.com/2012/09/07/umai-dry-bag-is-it-really-dry-aging/

Which points out an airtight wrap is counterproductive. Letting moisture escape is good but preventing oxygen from entering is bad and defeats most of the purpose of dry-again, which is to let the fat oxidize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Got it, thanks. Always nice when "don't buy the thing" has a better result.