Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Westminster System posted:

I mean they have functioning AI, its just woefully inadequate against any learned player.

Which makes sense, because the moment you can make a more than adequately competent AI for a sprawling strategy game of any kind you may as well congratulate yourself for starting the singularity.

Making good AI for a strategy game is not making one that plays in the most optimal way, but one that gives the perception of an adaptable opponent that provides regular challenge or believable behavior without feeling unfair, in other words, contribute to the fiction of the game, and that's way way harder than building something that will crunch the numbers and poo poo out winning moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ZearothK posted:

Making good AI for a strategy game is not making one that plays in the most optimal way, but one that gives the perception of an adaptable opponent that provides regular challenge or believable behavior without feeling unfair, in other words, contribute to the fiction of the game, and that's way way harder than building something that will crunch the numbers and poo poo out winning moves.

I think this is why the "bad AI" is less noticeable in a game like CK2 than it is in something like HoI4. In CK2 the fiction of the game is that each individual character is an independent agent with their own agenda, which the AI is generally good at doing. Sometimes they make boneheaded decisions but they're boneheaded in a way that makes sense as something the character would choose to do, because they're imperfect at best and inbred morons the rest of the time.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Baronjutter posted:

along with Groogy making a save-game converter for Stellaris.

No

ZearothK posted:

This person knows whats up. Also why CK2 mostly gets AI love on non-map strategic elements.
It also works out because there's thousands of agents doing random stuff all the time, eventually one of them is going to get something right and interesting going for the player to follow.

e: Also honestly several times when we've in EU4 and CK2 made the AI act like the player to give it the same advantage, our forum usually gets flooded by complaints when the AI is using their own tricks against them. Though usually they can't see the irony in it either.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 23, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Angry Salami posted:

I love that episode of Star Trek where Kirk defeats the evil world-controlling computer by tricking it into an infinite loop of checking who it can castrate.

This is probably my favorite bug to ever exist in any Paradox game.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Pakled posted:

This is probably my favorite bug to ever exist in any Paradox game.

By the end of the Byzantine Empire, the Ministry for Castration had grown to encompass on third of the world's economy. The bureaucracy stripped the Black Forest bare in search of paper, and drove hawthorn to extinction in want of ink. The clacking of the abacuses in the Houses of Calculation was so loud, day and night, that no glass could be brought into street opposite, for fear of it shattering. To evaluate a single individual could take as long as a decade; in the best case, when the subject was a woman, exclusion took three months. Simply retrieving an evaluation from the archives took so long that no such request was ever successfully filled.

By this stage, the Empire could not afford to employ a single man skilled in castration, and the operation itself had not been performed in centuries.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think this is why the "bad AI" is less noticeable in a game like CK2 than it is in something like HoI4. In CK2 the fiction of the game is that each individual character is an independent agent with their own agenda, which the AI is generally good at doing. Sometimes they make boneheaded decisions but they're boneheaded in a way that makes sense as something the character would choose to do, because they're imperfect at best and inbred morons the rest of the time.

*shiftily glance at Total War Warhammer’s AI that skirts the border of your movement circle to an inch and never attacks the player unless it can crush it in a 2:1 ratio*

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I´ve actually sometimes wondered about Paradox doing a horse breeding game, because 1) people that like horses are insane about them 2) there was a lot of stuff around it and it would be a cool look into history and whatnot and 3) horses are neat

Insane person spotted.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Groogy posted:

e: Also honestly several times when we've in EU4 and CK2 made the AI act like the player to give it the same advantage, our forum usually gets flooded by complaints when the AI is using their own tricks against them. Though usually they can't see the irony in it either.

I feel the AI acting in a metagaming fashion has a place on the highest difficulty levels, whose target market should be the demographic that has triple digits of hours in the game and wants a greater challenge, but is certainly not the kind of scripting that fits on the difficulties the average person is going to play, an end user that is actually perfectly fine with the AI being kind of dumb as long as it doesn't break kayfabe. Of course, even the former demographic is likely to be peeved by the AI using gamey strategies because 1) it breaks the fiction and 2) it ruins the players' power fantasy; so the people who do enjoy this behavior is going to be a smaller hardcore base.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Which game is more fun at the moment - CK2 or EU4?

I'm way behind on the DLCs and I can only afford to catch up on one of them (because Paradox never actually bothers doing 75% sales on old DLCs anymore).

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

ChrisAsmadi posted:

I'm way behind on the DLCs and I can only afford to catch up on one of them (because Paradox never actually bothers doing 75% sales on old DLCs anymore).

Both are tons of fun, both are very different on focus. Do you want to play a country or a dynasty? Do you want to guide a nation to greatness or stave off inbreeding and/or aztec/mongol/chinese hordes? Personally I've always gotten more replay value from CK2 because each game is always batshit different. EUIV is for when I'm stable and sober enough to puzzle out all those decisions.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Both are tons of fun, both are very different on focus. Do you want to play a country or a dynasty? Do you want to guide a nation to greatness or stave off inbreeding and/or aztec/mongol/chinese hordes? Personally I've always gotten more replay value from CK2 because each game is always batshit different. EUIV is for when I'm stable and sober enough to puzzle out all those decisions.

I've played both, I'm just about a year or two behind on the mass of DLC. I'm more wondering which is better at the moment and which has improved more.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

ChrisAsmadi posted:

I've played both, I'm just about a year or two behind on the mass of DLC. I'm more wondering which is better at the moment and which has improved more.

Ahhh, ok. Well I'm 3 expansions behind on EUIV, so I've of no help here. :v:

I think CK2 has gotten better by leaps and bounds though. Jade Empire's made that eastern half of the map a blast to play on or observe from a safe distance.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

ChrisAsmadi posted:

CK2 if you want something closer to a pen-and-paper rpg, EU4 if you want something closer to a boardgame.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ChrisAsmadi posted:

EU4 got a DLC which breaks the game if you ever have to deal with China or Asia in general so I would go with CKII right now. I find it disturbing that Paradox has not done anything about the Tributary mechanics from the Mandate of Heaven DLC that really kinda break the game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 23, 2017

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Did they at least fix it so Granada/morocco can't get day 1 tributary status anymore?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Not sure if they ever could, but they certainly can't now. Looking around, and it seems like no one but countries in Ming's immediate vicinity can ask to be tributary and Ming can only get those countries and also randomly Jharkhand in northeast India (though they can get Bengal soon after with a small bit of work).

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Well Ming can't even see that far at the start but hyperbole aside they haven't majorly changed the tributary stuff since it was first introduced, no.

The next patch seems to be about Southeast Asia so hopefully it'll finally address some of it. I think the complaints ITT tend to be a bit overblown but it's still definitely a major issue.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Groogy posted:

Yeah this is why I hate how many people keep saying they want the HoI4 AI to be smarter - it's not actually fun to play against an enemy that just always beats you. If a computer had human intelligence it would never lose against a human player, because it would be smart enough to understand strategy AND also have infinite attention and micromanagement ability so it would never actually make a human mistake like forgetting to check on a distant front in a while, or just getting lazy and dumping all your divisions into one huge front rather than making sure all the special forces are lined up along their terrain of choice, all the mobile and armored divisions are lined up against open plains, etc.

I mean it's a pretty well-known thing in fighting games that if you want to make an AI that never loses it's trivial to do - you just give them perfect reflexes and they're counter anything the player does. Making good AI isn't just about making them "better". It's about making them interesting to play against.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That said I'd love to see some time in 2050 when we have true sapient AI perhaps and stellaris sector AI that isn't bad and can correctly optimize.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

That said I'd love to see some time in 2050 when we have true sapient AI perhaps and stellaris sector AI that isn't bad and can correctly optimize.
You know that by then it will play poorly on purpose, right?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Most people want an AI that makes them feel smart when they beat it with their clearly amazing strategies.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Baronjutter posted:

This is how the "Death by paperclip maximizer" robopocalypse scenario that LessWrong Wiki people handwring about ends up happening, isn't it?

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I was not aware of there being an AI in Paradox games.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

V for Vegas posted:

It doesn't, all instances of the game directly connect to the Paradox offices and foreign countries are played by interns, Chinese videogame slaves or even main staff on slow days.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

there is no ai, there is only state machines

feller
Jul 5, 2006

V for Vegas posted:

HEH

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

This is how the "Death by paperclip maximizer" robopocalypse scenario that LessWrong Wiki people handwring about ends up happening, isn't it?

It will turn out that the videogame industry, not the MIC, will be responsible for creating Skynet and unleashing it on the world.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Danann posted:

It will turn out that the videogame industry, not the MIC, will be responsible for creating Skynet and unleashing it on the world.

"All we were trying to do was teach an AI how to most effectively win wars against humans. Who would have thought that could ever go wrong!"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kainser posted:

Most people want an AI that makes them feel smart when they beat it with their clearly amazing strategies.

Yeah, this. The challenge of AI is not only making one that could beat the player if they really wanted to, but to make one that puts up enough of a stiff fight to give the player a sense of accomplishment and struggle, but folds up anyway.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

"All we were trying to do was teach an AI how to most effectively win wars against humans. Who would have thought that could ever go wrong!"
I'm not sure if it would be better if they designed an AI that would launch a series of wars that would be ultimately be drawn out but winnable in a satisfying way

like, kinda, Patriot-ish

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Feels good to use cool and innovative strategies like the 'Maginot Line', after Germany declare war on you for no good reason(they had completely annexed Poland and Romania already), to completely annihilate their armed forces before the full frontal advance into Berlin. All while being pressured to end the war before Japan and their puppet China can join the Axis and extend the war into Asia.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I'm not sure if it would be better if they designed an AI that would launch a series of wars that would be ultimately be drawn out but winnable in a satisfying way

like, kinda, Patriot-ish

:vince: This would be a pretty awesome plot twist for a sci-fi story.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
The solution to good AI is

play multiplayer, because humans make the best AIs

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I did once and the other human quit when the game turned in my favor slightly.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Wooper posted:

I did once and the other human quit when the game turned in my favor slightly.

See, it's so much better that you don't even need to do a victory lap against a weak-willed adversary. Join the MP Discord and find people who will gladly bankrupt their own countries in a hellwar to stop you from conquering a single two development province.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Probably both the best and worst part of playing against players. Players can't really evaluate the cost/benefit of ending a war early for a poo poo province you don't really care about. For players, that poo poo piece of dirt is a do-or-die situation. I've seen games where a player would run their entire nation into bankruptcy just because he refused to surrender a single colony province.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Groogy posted:

Probably both the best and worst part of playing against players. Players can't really evaluate the cost/benefit of ending a war early for a poo poo province you don't really care about. For players, that poo poo piece of dirt is a do-or-die situation. I've seen games where a player would run their entire nation into bankruptcy just because he refused to surrender a single colony province.

Well yeah, but if you yield that single province they'll think you weak and come back for more later; better to try and drag out the war into MAB territory :v:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There's also the metagame aspect at play. If you fight hellwars even over what should be an easily-taken province, over the course of several games people learn to pick on other targets. If you give up provinces easily then you become everyone's first choice of target if they have an army and nothing to do with it.

There are definitely still times where it's correct to just roll over, but the nature of playing several multiplayer games with the same group of people biases things towards hurting your attacker as much as possible.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I love playing as Coptic Ethiopia!

Had a great game going. But I lost the Solomonid line! Can I get them back?!

When is paradox going to create more intricate family trees? I refuse to believe there are onoly two living solomnids at any given time :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Jabor posted:

There's also the metagame aspect at play. If you fight hellwars even over what should be an easily-taken province, over the course of several games people learn to pick on other targets. If you give up provinces easily then you become everyone's first choice of target if they have an army and nothing to do with it.

There are definitely still times where it's correct to just roll over, but the nature of playing several multiplayer games with the same group of people biases things towards hurting your attacker as much as possible.

Yeah that's definitely a strategy I've used before, if you're going to lose then at least make it hurt the other guys enough to make them think twice about trying again in the future. There is a good middle ground between rolling over and dying and crippling your economy. Usually if you put up enough of a fight you can get them to peace out for 20-30% warscore.

Nobody likes to lose in games but in EU4 it can be really infuriating to lose a war in MP. You can grow strangely attached to your borders, and losing just a couple provinces can derail long term plans. But losing gracefully can lead to future opportunities that can turn out to be much more lucrative.