Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Rarity posted:

Wait seriously, Sherri's dead?

Dammit that sucks :(

Gonna make you sad when you find out how many other people so far have died on these shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

If we really want to be depressed, we could do a show-by-show death counter.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
The Hogan-DiBiase match on this Survivor Series card is the only one in which all the participants are still alive (no mean feat considering Hogan, Jake and Warlord all came very close to dying well over a decade ago).

In fact, it's the only match doesn't have 3 or more dead participants in it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Warlord still wrestles every once in awhile. Shockingly he's in decent shape. Certainly turned out better than poor Ax

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shiki Dan posted:

The Hogan-DiBiase match on this Survivor Series card is the only one in which all the participants are still alive (no mean feat considering Hogan, Jake and Warlord all came very close to dying well over a decade ago).

In fact, it's the only match doesn't have 3 or more dead participants in it.

I wonder if Jake and Scott Hall are still clean.

God bless DDP, seems to be one of the few really decent guys in wrasslin'. :unsmith:

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

Anyone willing to share their wife with their boss has to be a pretty generous guy.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
And we're back! I hope that you're all refreshed and revitalised, my friends, because there's still a lot for us to get through. As we rejoin the arena Jesse announces reports of dissension in the locker room within the Heenan Family. Jesse, it's Thanksgiving. Arguing with the relatives is a good 50% of what Thanksgiving is. Jesse has changed into a T-shirt with 'Abraxas' printed on it. Now I was curious about this so I went on a little Google hunt to see what this meant. Turns out Jesse's shilling his new movie Abraxas, Guardian of the Universe (19% on Rotten Tomatoes!). Oh Jesse, I thought you had more integrity in your fashion than that. For shame, sir.

Mooney is catching up with Rick Rude and his team ahead of the next match and let me just say now, whoever put these four men together is my soulmate because joining Rude tonight will be the Curt Hennig and the Fabulous Rougeaus. gently caress yes. Rude tells Mooney he can't lose because his team's got fabulous, it's got ravishing and it's got perfection. It's not got proper grammar though. Hennig says that it's going to be a winning night and he's found the perfect way to eliminate Superfly Jimmy Snuka. Raymond adds that the Rougeaus are ready because they've been working out four hours a day, going to bed at 8pm and eating all their vitamins. Hehehe, lovely subtle heeling. Jacques thinks that now that it's gone dinner time the Bushwhackers must be feeling stuffed. Then Rude takes the chance to show off his latest masterpiece.

Gotta give the man credit for detail

Meanwhile, Rude's opponents are preparing for the match as well while Zombie Mean Gene looks on. Rowdy Roddy Piper catches the Bushwhackers with meat tucked under into their hats and by catches I mean 'sees' because it is not hidden in the slightest. He tells them to save lunch till after the match but then Snuka shows up and starts tearing into the meat as if he's devolved 3000 years since the last PPV. Seriously, what? Snuka's never been presented as a savage in the past but all of a sudden his eyes are bugging out as if he still boils missionaries in cauldrons. Is this a race thing? It's totally a race thing. To cap off this madness Piper leads a rendition of 'Dem Bones' before they head off.

What the gently caress was all that?

This is Fiji

This is not Fiji. And even if it was these people aren't idiots.

Rick Rude, Curt Hennig and the Fabulous Rougeau Brothers w/ The Genius and Jimmy Hart vs. Rowdy Roddy Piper, Superfly Jimmy Snuka and the Bushwhackers

I'm happy to say this is the first match where both teams are deemed worthy of individualised entrances. Hennig's out first and over the last few months he's picked up his own theme and oh my god it totally fits him. It's rousing and stirring and epic. You might even say that it's perfect. Unfortunately, he's also picked up a manager in the Genius and this is a combination I don't get. Isn't the Genius meant to be a wrestler? He looks he's meant to be a wrestler. But more importantly, Hennig doesn't need a manager. The guy's been kicking rear end for a year now solo, the Genius is adding nothing here.

As for the rest of the entrances, All-American Boys is still the most awesome thing ever and Rude comes out without Heenan because of whatever tensions are going on with the family. Let me guess, Tully forgot to bring the cranberry sauce, didn't he? It's just not Thanksgiving without the cranberry sauce. The faces walk out and the only real surprise here is how over the Bushwhackers have got since WM5. I guess their dumb goofy comedy shtick wasn't quite so aged back then.

To get things started Hennig takes the lead for the heels and beckons the faces on for a serious grappling contest. So instead Butch runs up and bites his leg. This leads to a sequence of all the faces biting Hennig which ends with Luke taking a nice hefty chunk out of Hennig's rear end. Oh, the indignity!

Someone's really missing AWA right now

Hennig turns into an eight year old and decides that if they're not going to play fair then he's not going to play so he takes his ball and goes home by tagging out. Jacques comes in and flips all around the ring while showing off. He really milks it right up until Snuka nails him with a flying headbutt. Snuka follows up with a knee drop that gives Jacques a full on seizure and then he lands the Body Splash and Jacques is already gone. Boo, he never even had a chance to get out the gates.

Hennig's back in now and Snuka sends him into the ropes just as Rude is leaning on them and so Hennig takes a tumble to the outside. Hennig and Rude start to argue and don't notice Snuka sneak up on them to clash their heads. Oh boy, I know it's unlikely to ever happen but I would kill for a Hennig/Rude feud. That's a dream match for me right there. The faces continue to press the advantage and takes it in turns to beat on Hennig while bumps like an absolute boss.

MOST OFFENSIVE COMMENT

Gorilla Monsoon: “He's been less than perfect on a couple of moves in this match so far”

Don't you dare disparage perfection, Gino.

It's finally time for Raymond to get involved as he comes in against Piper. He reverses a piledriver into a back body drop but Piper rolls through into a sunset flip. I know I've seen that sequence before but it's still so beautiful. Raymond nails Piper with a big savate kick but he falls prey to a piledriver on the second attempt and Raymond is done. Man, the Rougeaus really aren't being treated with the respect they deserve. They have been jobbed out constantly since turning heel when they should be on the top of the list for a title run.

We really need to do something about Canadian on Canadian violence

So the heels are already disadvantaged to the scale of two against four. Are you sure I'm not supposed to be on Rude's side, WWF? Hennig hits a necktwister on Piper by trapping his head between Hennig's legs and turning sideways. drat, that looks really painful and it's such a smart move. Awesome. Piper responds with a slingshot that sends Hennig flying into the turnbuckle and at this point Hennig's so committed that he gives a full 360 flip sell for a punch. Somewhere a young Dolph Ziggler gets his first erection.

Butch tries another bite on Hennig but he's gone back to the well one time too many because Hennig rolls him up and Butch is out of here. Piper rushes in and catches Hennig with the exact same rollup and my heart skips a beat but no, Hennig kicks out. I really bought that one. Rude goes up top but comes down into Luke's first. Luke attempts to press the advantage but Rude shrugs off the blow and hits the Rude Awakening to even things up.

I guess I'm not really surprised considering who's involved in this match but this one is so fast paced compared to the previous ones. I feel like I accidentally sat on the fast forward button. The heels take control of Snuka with a series of quick tags and not even a stiff kick to Hennig's face can create the separation needed. Gino and Jesse start debating which part of Snuka's body would be best to work over. They go into intense detail and it's one of those really cool discussions that makes wrestling feel like a real sport. Good work.

Snuka and Hennig collide with each other and both men go down. Each crawls to their corner and then tags are made and we've got Rude facing off with Piper. They exchange lefts and rights in a slugfest while the crowd pops huge with their shots getting faster and faster until they brawl to the outside and halfway up the entrance. They're still rolling around together when the ref counts them out. Ok, normally I hate this finish but they really made it work here. I think it was a combination of Rude and Piper's intensity and the crowd being fully on board. It didn't come across as cheap.

And it was all just an excuse for them to make out in the dark

Of course, this means we're down to a simple one on one in the ring. Hennig connects with a hiptoss and then they go through a series of pinning combinations. Sweet. And I feel like I've got to give Snuka some props here. He's done a really good job of keeping pace throughout this match and handled himself much better than I was expecting. Snuka goes for a second rope crossbody but Hennig rolls through and then he hits the Perfectplex and – wouldn't you know it? - Hennig beats Snuka clean!

Apparently we're not allowed to go more than one match without a post-match beatdown because Snuka grabs the Genius and starts attacking him. Snuka goes up top for the Body Splash but Hennig saves the Genius and pulls him out of the ring. He might as well not have bothered, it's not like the Genius was any help out there.

I can't say that this match set the world on fire or anything but it was ok and for the show we've had so far that's a huge improvement. I'm really happy to see Hennig being treated well at last. I never expected he'd get a clean win over Snuka and this match really sold his perfect win record as legitimate. I'm excited to see how much longer he can keep this streak going and just who's going to get the rub for ending it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Randaconda posted:

I wonder if Jake and Scott Hall are still clean.

God bless DDP, seems to be one of the few really decent guys in wrasslin'. :unsmith:

They're still hanging out with DDP, so that suggests good things! :D

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Liquid Communism posted:

They're still hanging out with DDP, so that suggests good things! :D

Of all the people who should have been bigger stars, I think Scott Hall troubles me the most. According to numerous people, he has a great mind for the business, but killing that guy just broke him. :smith: "Scott was broken before he ever got into the business." - Nash, I think.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Same for Jake, really. He never got over how big of a poo poo his dad was and not being able to save his sister from it

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeathChicken posted:

Same for Jake, really. He never got over how big of a poo poo his dad was and not being able to save his sister from it

Yeah :smithicide:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

For you, Rarity:

https://twitter.com/80sWrestlingPic/status/933681257707397120

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

He's not wrong :swoon:

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
For some reason The Bushwackers are always one of the teams that get named when old peeps talk about tag teams. The other one is usually LOD.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah because they kicked rear end and were around forever. Like a lot of people they hit WWF late in their career.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah because they kicked rear end and were around forever. Like a lot of people they hit WWF late in their career.

Yeah they used to be called The Sheepherders and were anything but family friendly.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Jason Sextro posted:

Yeah they used to be called The Sheepherders and were anything but family friendly.

They've had a legit 5* match and a legit -5* match, so that tells you the spectrum of their work.

But when they were worth a drat they were a violent team having bloodbaths with whomever, I want to say they worked Puerto Rico a lot but someone c/d this for me. But by the time they got to WWF, they weren't worth a drat anymore and were content just to do easy comedy to use what was left of their bodies.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, the Sheepherders were a great tag team.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Maybe I'm listening to the wrong sources but I was always under the assumption that, while popular with kids, the Bushwackers were pretty much hated by a good portion of fans.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

OldTennisCourt posted:

Maybe I'm listening to the wrong sources but I was always under the assumption that, while popular with kids, the Bushwackers were pretty much hated by a good portion of fans.

That might be true - while not necessarily representative of the broader community, they certainly were hated by WON readers.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OldTennisCourt posted:

They were, but the Sheepherders were respected as a good team.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I remember a bunch of us in kindergarten doing the Bushwacker walk down the hallways in school. I also remember getting in trouble for making a Texas Tornado joke during an announcement for a tornado drill.

I was really into tag teams as a kid. The Rockers were colorful and flashy, Demolition looked tough, and the Bushwackers were funny. The more technically proficient tag teams were just too bland for a six year old.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
In the back, Rude and the Rougeaus are celebrating with Mooney on hand for a few questions. Mooney asks Rude about Heenan but Rude tells him it's none of his business. Hennig shows up as well and Rude calls him the perfect combination. Aw, it's always nice when all your buddies become buddies with each other.

On the other side of the interview room Zombie Mean Gene has tracked down the Ultimate Warrior and the rest of his team. Jim “The Anvil” Neidhart hopes that he doesn't ruin the Heenan Family's dinner by eating too much of their food. All while he's talking Warrior wanders around next to him tugging on his beard and screaming into his ears. Marty Jannetty promises that they'll be rocking and rolling and strutting and strolling while Shawn Michaels says the guns are loaded. Warrior says that he bonded his team in darkness and now everyone gets an organ donor card.

...Yeah, I have no loving idea what just happened.

RAAAAAAARGHHHH!!!

Andre the Giant, Haku, Arn Anderson and Bobby “The Brain” Heenan vs. The Ultimate Warrior, Jim “The Anvil” Niedhart and the Rockers

So there's a sneaky little wrinkle in this main event. While it was originally meant to involve Arn's buddy Tully Blanchard the heels come out with him nowhere in sight. Instead Heenan himself will be the fourth man. Which makes me wonder, why exactly does a guy who's called 'The Brain' hang out with a team called the Brain Busters. That seems like a risky position to put yourself in. The faces are out next and I see the Rockers have gone for the shredded T-shirt look that Dolph Ziggler always did so well.

By the end of this project I will have compared all of your heroes to Ziggler. Yes, I'm doing this on purpose.

As the Rockers join Anvil in the ring they immediately rush over and connect with dropkicks on Arn and Haku while Anvil goes after Heenan. However, Andre makes the save and he starts to dominate the good guys. Anvil and the Rockers get beaten down but there's Warrior's music! He runs out to make the save. He hits a clothesline that sends Andre stumbling out of the ring and uh oh, Andre was the legal man. Andre withers around on his old man legs and gets counted out. Holy loving lol. That was amazing. Andre is forced to retreat up the entrance as he bellows like a gorilla.

Guys, I think we finally found out the way to use Andre

With Andre on a one stop train to Jobber Central we can properly get the match going. Anvil starts things off by stiffing the gently caress out of Arn but Haku comes in and nails him with the Reverse Thrust Kick and Anvil's off to the back. Hey Andre, is there space on that train for one more? The Rockers take it turns to twist the hell out of Haku's arm until Haku catches Marty from a crossbody. However, Shawn hits a dropkick to push Haku over with Marty on top of him.

Arn and Haku go for a double suplex on Marty but Shawn's there to catch him. The heel duo turn around right into a pair of superkicks. gently caress yeah. I will never not pop for a superkick. Even a Dolph Ziggler superkick. (I warned you). The Rockers are doing a really good job of keeping this match moving quickly. Even though a lot of these spots are rehashed from previous matches it still feels fresh and breezy.

MOST INCORRECT PREDICTION

Gorilla Monsoon: “Heenan doesn't belong in the ring with that level of talent”

To be fair, he's done better than Andre

Marty eats the mat after a drop toe hold from Arn. Haku comes in but Arn connects with a cheap shot from the apron that stuns Marty just long enough for Haku to hit the Reverse Thrust Kick. Even so Marty manages to kick out of the resultant pin so Haku tags out to Heenan. Despite being strong enough to overcome a wrestler's finisher it only takes a few more stomps from Heenan for Marty to be good for a three count. This reminds me of WM3 way back when. They should have just had Haku tag out straight after his finisher.

Anyway, with the faces at the disadvantage its time for Warrior to turn the tide. He slaps on a bearhug to Arn but Arn escapes with a rake to the eyes so he just puts a bearhug on Haku instead. Shawn connects with a beautiful dropkick, I'm really glad they're giving him a bit of a spotlight here. Arn sends him towards the turnbuckle but Shawn does that D-Bry backflip and Arn turns into a drop toe hold. Shawn goes up top and with Warrior's assistance flies over halfway across the ring to hit a body splash. Haku whiffs a second rope crossbody so Shawn decides to show him how it's done with a flying crossbody off the top rope and that even the scores.

Wait, Bobby! What the hell are you doing? With Shawn sent flying to the outside Heenan decides it's a good time to climb the turnbuckle with his eyes set on Shawn. Just as visions of Heenan busting out a corkscrew moonsault dance through my head he changes his mind retreats. Awww. Shawn catches Arn with a sunset flip and even though Arn kicks out he's a bit out of whack because he starts arguing with Heenan. He only wanted to watch the football game after dinner, Bobby! Was that really so much to ask?

”But the Cowboys have got a really good chance this season!”

Arn decides he's had enough of this so he tags out to Heenan. It's going to take more than that to one-up a guy called 'The Brain' though because Heenan just turns round and tags back to Arn. Beaten by such genius level mind games Arn gets back into it with Shawn and they collide sending both men down. Shawn gets up and walks right into the Spinebuster, registering a full 3.2 on the Richter scale. Yeah, Shawn ain't coming back from that one.

Yeah, I think we all know where things are going from here. Warrior comes in with a series of shoulder blocks but Arn recovers enough to throw him to the outside. Heenan decides this is the time to climb the turnbuckle again but sadly there are no swanton bombs or 450 splashes in our future tonight because he retreats once more. We end up with Heenan and Warrior in the ring and Heenan attacks Warrior but Warrior no-sells every single one of his punches. This is how you should sell Heenan offence, guys. In other words, you shouldn't.

Warrior grabs Arn and whips him into Heenan, follows up with the Press Slam and a splash and Arn is gone. There's nowhere left for Heenan to hide. Arn leaves the ring and heads up the entrance while Heenan calls out to him. Don't walk away, Arn! He won't invite his mum over for Xmas, it'll be better next time! But while Arn considers spending the holidays in the South with his Horsemen buddies Warrior sneaks up on Heenan. That's what you get for taking your eye off the ball.

“Crap, who let Cousin Vicky bring along her trombone?!”

Once Heenan spots him he tries to leave but Warrior keeps him from escaping. All it takes is a shoulder tackle and a splash and Heenan is down, Warrior is the sole survivor. After the match Warrior celebrates while Heenan staggers to the back but halfway down the entrance he gets one last hit from a Warrior driveby. We end the show with Heenan rolling around on the concrete thinking about spending Thanksgiving solo next year.

This was very similar to Warrior's match at last year's Survivor Series in that it told the exact same story. It definitely had its highlights, especially Warrior jobbing out Andre, but it also had a lot of filler as well. Also, I really understand why they pushed the dissension in the Heenan Family so much during the show. It didn't have any pay-off in the end and had nothing to do with the finish to the main event. Perhaps it's something that will show up again further down the line.

And there it is, Survivor Series 1989 is done and dusted. This was a terrible loving slog of a show. It picked up slightly as the night went on but each match just dragged and dragged and it was a real struggle to finish. I don't like the review I've written for this one. It's been a real struggle to complete and I don't think it's very good and that's because the show gave me nothing to engage with. I'm glad that we can all put this behind us and move on with our lives. Two Kanes!

/10

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rarity posted:

Two Kanes!

No spoilers for the mid-2000s! :mad:

Heenan being left alone to face Warrior was cool as hell though :)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rarity posted:

This was very similar to Warrior's match at last year's Survivor Series in that it told the exact same story. It definitely had its highlights, especially Warrior jobbing out Andre, but it also had a lot of filler as well. Also, I really understand why they pushed the dissension in the Heenan Family so much during the show. It didn't have any pay-off in the end and had nothing to do with the finish to the main event. Perhaps it's something that will show up again further down the line.

Tully failed a drug test (cocaine!) and the dissension is finished up on a Saturday Night's Main Event that was taped before Survivor Series

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

So the question is, what's next for Rarity? Do we move on to one of the best early Royal Rumble events... or one of the best bad movies followed by a decent enough two-on-two cage match?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gavok posted:

So the question is, what's next for Rarity? Do we move on to one of the best early Royal Rumble events... or one of the best bad movies followed by a decent enough two-on-two cage match?

Read the thread title

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 42 days!

Rarity posted:

Hennig shows up as well and Rude calls him the perfect combination. Aw, it's always nice when all your buddies become buddies with each other.

And in real life, Rude and Hennig had been friends since high school :hfive:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Aww, that's awesome :unsmith:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Didn't the Road Warriors go to that same high school?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

Davros1 posted:

Tully failed a drug test (cocaine!) and the dissension is finished up on a Saturday Night's Main Event that was taped before Survivor Series

Arn and Tully had already decided to go back down south after their 1-year contracts expired, since they weren't making the money that Vince had quoted for them.

So the "random" drug test before PPV was kinda sorta a way to screw with them.
Tully ended up doubly screwed since JCP used the failed drug test as an excuse not to hire him back either, meaning he was blackballed from both of the top North American promotions and his career was for all intents and purposes ended here, when he was still young and at his peak.

Naturally, he became VERY bitter about this until about 10 years later when he became a born-again Christian and started a prison ministry. He then gradually began repairing his estranged friendship with Arn and Flair.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shiki Dan posted:

Tully ended up doubly screwed since JCP used the failed drug test as an excuse not to hire him back either, meaning he was blackballed from both of the top North American promotions and his career was for all intents and purposes ended here, when he was still young and at his peak.

This is interesting. Why didn't JCP want Tully back in the first place?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

This is interesting. Why didn't JCP want Tully back in the first place?

Basically, to gently caress with Flair.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Randaconda posted:

Basically, to gently caress with Flair.

I know the answer is 'lol WCW' but why would they want to gently caress with one of their biggest stars?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rarity posted:

I know the answer is 'lol WCW' but why would they want to gently caress with one of their biggest stars?

Hell if I know, but they made a hobby of loving with Flair over and over.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Rarity posted:

Jim Cornette went over this a bit in his 1989 WCW retrospective for Kayfabe Commentaries. Bottom line was that Jim Herd, who was head of creative, loving hated Flair and Flair hated him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6MwCWr2PRs&t=259s

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Jim Cornette went over this a bit in his 1989 WCW retrospective for Kayfabe Commentaries. Bottom line was that Jim Herd, who was head of creative, loving hated Flair and Flair hated him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6MwCWr2PRs&t=259s

Wasn't he the one who wanted Flair to shave his head and start calling himself Spartacus?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Oh yeah, there was that as well.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Shiki Dan posted:

Arn and Tully had already decided to go back down south after their 1-year contracts expired, since they weren't making the money that Vince had quoted for them.

Naturally, he became VERY bitter about this until about 10 years later when he became a born-again Christian and started a prison ministry. He then gradually began repairing his estranged friendship with Arn and Flair.

It also screwed over Arn.

Jim Herd had guaranteed a figure for Tully and Arn, which is what convinced them to jump back. Since WCW actually honored the drug test done by the WWF, Tully was now out of the picture. Herd told Anderson that since he wasn't part of a tag team with Blanchard, he was only going to offer him half that figure. There was nowhere else for Anderson to go, so he had to take Herd's offer.

Blanchard was still quite good, but he wasn't the youngest guy on the roster. By this point Blanchard had been wrestling full-time more than 15 years and had worked off and on when he was playing college football before then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tully was an amazing heel back in the day.

In the Four Horsemen, he was was the one easiest to hate. Flair always had his fans, and Arn wasn't anywhere near as dis-likable as Tully.