Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

sneakyfrog posted:

i stand chastened.

my bad friend.

:smithfrog:

Working on Saturdays tends to do that. Go home you are IT'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

redeyes posted:

Working on Saturdays tends to do that. Go home you are IT'd.

eh. im the guy and poo poo needs doing so..

pologize thread.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Jeoh posted:

The only licensing thing weird in that setup is the 10 User CALS for 4 people. Maybe 5 if you're counting the MSP.
Unless the server is doing DHCP for the LAN which provides IP addresses to the employee's phones. Then you're looking at 8, 9 if you include an MFP with a DHCP reservation, 10 with a wireless AP.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Since when do printers need a User CAL? SInce when do users using multiple devices need multiple User CALs? Since when does a wireless AP need a User CAL?

"if your users who use the printer have CALs then the printer is covered by their use via their CALs"

You're thinking of Device CALs, not User CALs.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

I'm starting to a support a small architecture firm, about 3 employees or so. They're in a shared office space w/ another architect firm. They're part of the building's network. The big thing they're trying to get handled right now is what to use cloud service or hardware to use for collaborating. They use RevIt and SketchUp and might have other programs in play depending on things.

My understanding is those files can get really beefy, into the GBs. I'm thinking that a NAS of some sort might be the best bet, but not sure and was hoping for some advice and insight.

The same office, the owner is currently using a personal Outlook.com/Office 365 account so as to sync info w/ his Outlook and whatnot. The issue is with sending meeting and calendar invites. If we use an alias, namely his business e-mail, then Outlook sends stuff as outlook_16hexcharacters@outlook.com, and he doesn't want to be sending invites to clients with his personal account showing. Is that something that could be overcome w/ an Office 365 Biz plan? Basically, looking for Exchange functionality... I'm realizing as I say this that maybe we just look into if his business e-mail host can provide Exchange functionality, does that sound like a more viable option?

I appreciate any knowledge you can lay on me!

I would recommend

1. office 365 business for email
2. box.com for the files and just make sure they have local hard drives big enough to store the things

I wouldn't do nas because then they still have to go over the lan, making remote work a huge pain in the rear end / impossible. this way they can have laptops, work anywhere, it just works.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’ll reach out to the CPA for more info on software and confirming the number of users, etc.

For the architecture firm, O365 Biz for the custom domain? Anything that I might be missing? I’m gonna do some research on my own, and look into Box.com as well!

Thanks for all the info everyone!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Don't forget, O365 comes with OneDrive which is really not that bad. I like it better than google drive tbh.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Google Team Drives and File Stream is a good product.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Don't forget, O365 comes with OneDrive which is really not that bad. I like it better than google drive tbh.

Every time I have to share onedrive folder with someone who doesn’t have it, it is problematic

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Thanks Ants posted:

Google Team Drives and File Stream is a good product.

Sure, until they abandon part of it that you end up relying on. Also team drives choke on deep folder structures which sucks when your trying to copy over a server archive.

Google really needs to fix the permissions in Drive for me to like it more. It does work ok.

My point is, there's no reason to look into Box for a small 3 person company when One Drive is included with 365. At the very least, give it a try and see if it works.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Google do need to resolve their ADHD issues, or at least stop it spreading into the software that people pay money for. They seem to go through a flurry of mentioning new products each time the I/O conference rolls around and then doing no development on them - I think MS Teams (which has problems, don't get me wrong) was launched into preview and then released in the time since Google announced Hangouts Chat and then have made zero visible improvements to it throughout the EAP phase.

Same with ripping dial-out functionality from Hangouts when they moved everybody over to Meet. It's very difficult to work with G Suite unless you're a small team and totally cool with things changing on a weekly basis.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Google Apps.. contact sharing. Christ.

Hangouts still works for my apps account. I heard they were going to can it but I still use it every day and with the Dialer functionality.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 6, 2017

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

redeyes posted:

I mean, seriously. How is this still a thing and apparently not a priority? It boggles the mind :psyduck:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

CloFan posted:

I mean, seriously. How is this still a thing and apparently not a priority? It boggles the mind :psyduck:

I mean honestly? GAL is a high priority for a small percentage of my smb clients. Most of my clients use GAL only for internal addresses. Staff members organically build their own contact lists or refer to external CRM.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

redeyes posted:

Hangouts still works for my apps account. I heard they were going to can it but I still use it every day and with the Dialer functionality.

I use google hangouts dialer via chrome all the time (I have the free/"legacy" google apps)

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I mean honestly? GAL is a high priority for a small percentage of my smb clients. Most of my clients use GAL only for internal addresses. Staff members organically build their own contact lists or refer to external CRM.

When we switched to Office 365 I put information for all of our dealers in the GAL and no one uses it.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I guess a bunch of them have like, boardofdirectors@client.com with external addresses in that distro list, but then the resulting distro list is internal anyway

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Boywhiz88 posted:

I think this is the best place for this post after checking the first few pages of SH/SC.

I appreciate any knowledge you can lay on me!

A dedicated o365 account for the firm would be simple to set up and easy enough to use that they should see no issues. Having done work for accounting firms, there is no loving way their ProFX tax setup or similar system would use more than 2 anemic cores on a 5 year old system, much less 16 cores on a modern architecture.

Also, 6 1.2 TB drives is presumably a raid 6 is overkill of the highest order, 2 of them in a raid 1 will probably handle all the IOPS and storage needs of the firm, since gently caress using on prem exchange or any other rat bastard setup.

Backups can be handled by any business cloud solution that offers versioning. Versioning lets you avoid 'your only cloud backup copy was exploded because the cryptolocker infection lasted long enough for the backup job to sync and overwrite the only copy of your data with the broke one.

Get a complete list of what software they use, how they use it, and how much data they have, then sit down and see specifically what they want going forwards. Everyone I know loves soaking accountants for cash, because they can dress up the hilarious overspends as needed features when the accountants don't know dick about it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

CloFan posted:

I see this mentioned a lot for GSuite.. What problems exactly do people have with this part of GSuite?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

stevewm posted:

I see this mentioned a lot for GSuite.. What problems exactly do people have with this part of GSuite?

There's not a share contact button. To share a contact, you have to take a screen shot or manually copy and paste. It's dumb as hell

stevewm
May 10, 2005

CloFan posted:

There's not a share contact button. To share a contact, you have to take a screen shot or manually copy and paste. It's dumb as hell

Oh..

I guess that is a function we have never really needed. Not that my users would use it anyways if it was there.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

stevewm posted:

Oh..

I guess that is a function we have never really needed. Not that my users would use it anyways if it was there.

Companies that don’t have a CRM use it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Companies that do have a CRM still insist they need it

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Any MSPs here in North Carolina (Research Triangle area)? If so, I want to talk to you.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I am not an MSP in RTP but for what it's worth I had acceptable dealings with Carolinas IT in the past.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 10, 2017

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I'd like to ask some questions about helping a shop I support replace their Server 2008 Foundation with.. something new. The existing server was not set up my me, and they now need more than 15 user accounts. They also highly desire the ability to hop desks and "still be at their own desk." I've been warned away from Roaming Profiles by the Enterprise thread, and suggestions of UE-V and VMware User Environment Manager seem way to pricey.

So, assume I want to buy a Server 2016 Standard system and create a new domain for their shop (the existing one is a mess of disparate settings). They have nice Windows 7 Pro workstations, nine of them plus a laptop here and there. My main interest is more with the musical desks game. They currently use Folder Redirection to some success and have most important data on a server share. But, in typical SMB fashion, they've asked if they can hop to any workstation and log in to find their task bar icons, their Outlook client config, etc. the same.

I've been told I'm in over my head, and that's not incorrect.

What are my (best) options? Are they all going to cost several thousands of dollars above and beyond server hardware and licensing costs? Remote Desktop Services? Other?

I'm pretty confident I can set up a new domain and PDC, get their LOB software migrated, and then join the workstations, etc. But then they'd be "no better off" than now except for being able to create more than 15 user accounts and having better server performance.

Gentlegoons, is this a feasible request that can be achieved? Or is it going to cost a small fortune?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

How about get them laptops and docking stations? That’s like $1800 a pop but will be the best user experience imho. I’m not a fan of vdi or rds solutions for such a small group.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Alas, they'll never go for it. Right up until they decide the cost/ROI isn't worth it, they'll be asking for "pick up my rear end and nothing else and go" ease.

But, yeah, I'm really keen to hear all kinds of such suggestions, though. Perhaps something will stick that makes sense.

Plus they "just" had these Haswell-based Win7Pro systems put together with i5s and SSDs in 2015, so scrapping them for laptops is another reason they'll balk. The guys who preceded me set them up--same guys who built the Server 2008 system with 2 GB of RAM, ensuring that WU never ran even once successfully. They were sans patches until about 18 months ago...

And when one of the two RAID HDDs began to fail, guess which one they showed up and replaced?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I think you'd have more luck convincing them to standardize on one standard desktop experience (taskbar, icons, whatever) and couple that with folder redirection. The only other alternative I can think of that is remotely (ha!) feasible is a terminal server serving up remote desktop sessions

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Happiness Commando posted:

I think you'd have more luck convincing them to standardize on one standard desktop experience (taskbar, icons, whatever) and couple that with folder redirection. The only other alternative I can think of that is remotely (ha!) feasible is a terminal server serving up remote desktop sessions
It sounds like they’re a pretty small shop. Do they run a lot of terrible or old (or both) software? If their activities are all fairly standard roaming profiles might work. Test them out with your own environment before throwing away the idea entirely. We use them in our Citrix VDI environment and have very few issues since our VDI users’ rights are reasonably restricted.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Aunt Beth posted:

It sounds like they’re a pretty small shop. Do they run a lot of terrible or old (or both) software? If their activities are all fairly standard roaming profiles might work. Test them out with your own environment before throwing away the idea entirely. We use them in our Citrix VDI environment and have very few issues since our VDI users’ rights are reasonably restricted.
Yeah, not very big, and won’t grow beyond 50% more. The nine Win7Pro boxes, a couple laptops, and 16 humans (the tipping point at bar).

They use Outlook fed by G Suite Sync and an IMAP account or two. Word/Excel/etc., Chrome with saved passwords and lots of bookmarks, and two LOB programs that run on the server.

One is old and is basically just a Desktop icon shortcut to an exe on a network share. The other uses MS SQL Express DB and has a client install on the workstations.

I’m a fairly big believer in the group wisdom held/available in this forum, so I’m super curious of just how and where Roaming Profiles break.

I want to test it out, but I can’t install the LOB programs on a test server due to their licensing/activation...

Sidebar: VMware UEM question.. 10 user pack is ~$500, then the next tier looks like 100 user pack. Say this is what gets chosen.. do they buy 2x 10 user packs to cover 16 folks?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I like how Microsoft told us the minimum Office order pack we can now get on our EA is 500 when we only need 300. Cool. They really want people to go 365.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Tapedump posted:

They use Outlook fed by G Suite Sync and an IMAP account or two.

This will be a big problem w roaming profiles. the way roaming profiles work is it copies down the profile to the local machine when you log in. so if you're doing this, you're sitting on a huge (going on a limb here and guessing your gsuite users are at like 5-15gb each) PST file that will download and upload every time you log in and out.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Using Outlook with GMail is a recipe for disaster. And IMAP, really? In TYOOL 2017? C'mon son.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
You’re right about their PST sizes, mostly. I see how that would be a big fat problem given how you describe profiles roam...

As for Gmail in Outlook, yeah, they’ve been using Outlook for 20 years and won’t be talked out of it. That kinda shop..

I’d be better off moving their email hosting to Microsoft (which they like the idea of to get Teams). That wouldn’t help the roaming PST issue any, huh?

Though, IMAP.. what’s the issue? Genuinely would like to know/learn. ATM it’s used to get a second G Suite address in the same Outlook profile as the one G Suite Sync made (changing profiles was “a hassle”).

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

UE-V is expensive?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Requires Enterprise once the workstations must go to Win10, right? Reinstalling Windows from scratch on every one is a lot of labor cost and disruption, etc.

So, not expensive in its own right, but the lack of Win7Pro upgrade path is their concern.

Edit: Hmmn, say that in two years the Win10 changeover gets handled from scratch on the workstations (as a matter of principal/luck/coercion)... Win7Pro and Server 2016 will do UE-V right now, correct? If so, (yet another) rookie question: Where do we best go to get Enterprise licenses?

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 23, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I don't really see the point in roaming profiles outside of education or call centres or whatever, people aren't going to just move around and use a different desk/monitor/keyboard etc.

If you have staff that are die-hard Outlook users then get them onto Exchange, it's not worth the headache to try and manage that G Suite Sync monstrosity.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Thanks Ants posted:

people aren't going to just move around and use a different desk/monitor/keyboard etc.
I generally agree, but in this case that’s exactly what they want to do, see?

I understand about Exchange vs G Suite, but one’s no better than the other vis a vis Roaming Profiles and large mail stores, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think that configuring Outlook with a small OST and then storing that OST on quick networked storage might be the best way to handle this. If you don't see any performance problems just running in Online Mode though, go with that as it's simpler.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 23, 2017