Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dogeh posted:

Imagine the chunks blown if they ever decided to bolt on VR

Wait — I’m still cleaning up the chunks blown by that audio leak.

EDIT: Also, for those of you who enjoy effort posts, I wrote a thing.

It seems kind of pointless stating it all here since it’s taken as given at this point. I think I’m getting triggered to typing by Chris and Sandi’s smug cutesy Burndown banter as they try to pretend they’re not squeezing out a half-digested turdito at the very last minute expressly so they can remove any impulse purchase impediments from their spacepixel junkie customers.

No drat shame these sleazy greedy cheesy wannabes.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Abuminable posted:

No, if this ever made it into a game-like application, it would be another instance of coerced immersion: bolted to your chair until the entire radio show plays through.
With a QTE that forces you to re-start if you don't laugh / applaud when the sign tells you, right.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
Another reason that Star Citizen is better than Elite Dangerous:

In Elite you need a ship to get the SRV up into space.
In Star Citizen, you can fly into space on your Chariot-Lite

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7f4yff/i_flew_a_nox_into_space_from_daymar/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4Slbh-Zrsk

Star Citizen is good.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Spiderdrake posted:

With a QTE that forces you to re-start if you don't laugh / applaud when the sign tells you, right.

With FOIP, Chris can ensure you react appropriately to his supreme creativity.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Now we understand why he's so insistent on using that junk. You will be directed, citizen.

You will applaud the rivets.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
Well Chris has certainly delivered the Turkey. Just in time

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Someone who knows how to do things with moving pictures could probably do the thing.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Hav posted:

Clean code is about what makes good code and boils down to making things readable, because everyone spends more time reading code than actually writing it.

Clean Coder concentrates on what the meatbag between the keyboard and chair should understand and be capable of; knowing design patterns and simple algorithms, etc.

I’d get code before coder if i had to choose.

Thanks. I'll get both and read Code first.

Man, my DOS batch files are gonna be sooo sweet.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Raskolnikov posted:

When people are excited over their favorite game it's often very endearing. In this case it feels like a red letter media basement interlude.

Specifically, this part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz1L63TdhC8&t=504s

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Gradis posted:

drat its bad lol

Capaldi does the best he can with his dialogue and manages to channel his Malcolm Tucker strident cadence into it, but the other guy just sounds bored. The dude sounds like he gives zero fucks about anything he's saying, like he's reading it out for the first time, and any competent director would have either re-recorded tho whole thing or gotten someone else for the role because he's awful.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

You all have to understand Chris is a perfectionist

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
I'm taking a moment here to enjoy the comparison between G0rf's stylish, rhythmic, dramatic, sharp writing in a couple of transient reddit posts to Chris Roberts' trashy dialogue committed to tape by trained actors.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Breetai posted:

Capaldi does the best he can with his dialogue and manages to channel his Malcolm Tucker strident cadence into it, but the other guy just sounds bored. The dude sounds like he gives zero fucks about anything he's saying, like he's reading it out for the first time, and any competent director would have either re-recorded tho whole thing or gotten someone else for the role because he's awful.

I'm not saying Johnny Pilotman is a good VA in this, because he's dreadful, but the dialogue there is so boring and uninspired and it doesn't really tell you anything.

For example, let's look at the very first lines.

QUINT: Hello and welcome to another edition of Showdown. I am your host, Eria Quint. Senator Kyle Polo stunned the Empire by withdrawing his bill for increased military cutbacks for senate consideration and will reintroduce the bill for public referendum what does this mean and why should anyone care? why is cutting military spending a bad thing?. The move has sent shockwaves through the Empire How/why?. My guests come at the issue from two very different perspectives like what? it this an issue with a lot of history or is it a new one?. My first guest is the host of the controversial opinion show Plain Truth. Please welcome Parker Tyrell why is it controversial, what is tyrell known for? is he a contrarian or is he an idealogue?.

QUINT: My second guest is decorated naval combat pilot what is he decorated with and what for?, and current flight leader of the legendary Squadron 42: Commander Ryan Enright why is S42 legendary and what are Enright's achievements? why is any old pilot doing an interview on cutbacks, even if it's a legendary unit?

Like, there's just no context. The host -- Quint -- seemingly has no love for her job and no flair. It's all so dry and boring. It's like a political argument between two random people because the show couldn't source anyone interestng. Imagine something like.

"My guests come at this heated, embittered issue from two opposing perspectives that promise the biggest Showdown yet! First, we have the unabashedly political and unashamedly controversial host of the UEE's most popular opinion show Plain Truth. You might love him, you probably hate him, but please put your hands together for Parker Tyrell! And my second guest is a decorated naval combat pilot with the Empire Medal of Heroism and no less than three Platinum Stars. He's a veteran of twelve separate campaigns with the legendary Squadron 42, the saviors of Alpha Centauri, and is widely acknowledged for writing the book on anti-Vanduul tactics -- Duelling the Vanduul -- and his public remarks for the necessity of ending the Vanduul threat. Some call him a war hero, others call him a war hawk. But please welcome, Commander Ryan Enright!"

For what's supposedly a passion project, there's no passion.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 24, 2017

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Milky Moor posted:

what is he decorated with and what for?
It's almost Chris-mas.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

And I mean, I'm not even a particularly good writer. I just love writing as my hobby and I'm doing a bit of a passion project of my own (click the link in my avatar). But the fact that this is what Roberts puts out with people like Peter Capaldi and 165 million dollars just blows my goddamn mind.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Hav posted:

Clean code is about what makes good code and boils down to making things readable, because everyone spends more time reading code than actually writing it.

Clean Coder concentrates on what the meatbag between the keyboard and chair should understand and be capable of; knowing design patterns and simple algorithms, etc.

I’d get code before coder if i had to choose.

Code Complete by Steve McConnell is another excellent coding style book.

Phraccy
Apr 28, 2017
12fps on the way to Grim Hex .... seriously...

https://clips.twitch.tv/ProductivePiliableMetalUncleNox

bwahaha 10-11 fps on Grim Hex /facedesk
https://clips.twitch.tv/OnerousPlainDelicataStrawBeary

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Milky Moor posted:

I'm not saying Johnny Pilotman is a good VA in this, because he's dreadful, but the dialogue there is so boring and uninspired and it doesn't really tell you anything.

For example, let's look at the very first lines.

QUINT: Hello and welcome to another edition of Showdown. I am your host, Eria Quint. Senator Kyle Polo stunned the Empire by withdrawing his bill for increased military cutbacks for senate consideration and will reintroduce the bill for public referendum what does this mean and why should anyone care? why is cutting military spending a bad thing?. The move has sent shockwaves through the Empire How/why?. My guests come at the issue from two very different perspectives like what? it this an issue with a lot of history or is it a new one?. My first guest is the host of the controversial opinion show Plain Truth. Please welcome Parker Tyrell why is it controversial, what is tyrell known for? is he a contrarian or is he an idealogue?.

QUINT: My second guest is decorated naval combat pilot what is he decorated with and what for?, and current flight leader of the legendary Squadron 42: Commander Ryan Enright why is S42 legendary and what are Enright's achievements? why is any old pilot doing an interview on cutbacks, even if it's a legendary unit?

Like, there's just no context. The host -- Quint -- seemingly has no love for her job and no flair. It's all so dry and boring. It's like a political argument between two random people because the show couldn't source anyone interestng. Imagine something like.

"My guests come at this heated, embittered issue from two opposing perspectives that promise the biggest Showdown yet! First, we have the unabashedly political and unashamedly controversial host of the UEE's most popular opinion show Plain Truth. You might love him, you probably hate him, but please put your hands together for Parker Tyrell! And my second guest is a decorated naval combat pilot with the Empire Medal of Heroism and no less than three Platinum Stars. He's a veteran of twelve separate campaigns with the legendary Squadron 42, the saviors of Alpha Centauri, and is widely acknowledged for writing the book on anti-Vanduul tactics -- Duelling the Vanduul -- and his public remarks for the necessity of ending the Vanduul threat. Some call him a war hero, others call him a war hawk. But please welcome, Commander Ryan Enright!"

For what's supposedly a passion project, there's no passion.

I am stunned you actually bothered to discect that steaming pile of pelican poo poo.
Just sit back and wait for the pusher vignette they are going to show at Christmas. Imagine dialogue worse than that delivered by a worse actor

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Chris's writing style is basically cargo cult writing. He's heard those kinds of words and phrases in movies and stuff before, so his writing will be good by having it too.

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

Breetai posted:

I'm sure even if they gave him license to unleash a torrent of fucks and dot cottons licking piss off nettles, in full scottish accent in rage mode, zero loving difference would be made to the solid splintery wooden dildo that was the 'script'. He even manages to sound like he give a toss, a bit. But i'm guessing he had a set time and could gently caress off after a few hours. Unlike his poor co-cast who must of been made to repeat their lines at chris's pleasure until the loss of the will to live seeped into their voices and only then was he pleased. Like every piece of poo poo he has directed.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

EightAce posted:

I am stunned you actually bothered to discect that steaming pile of pelican poo poo.

It's my crippling brain disease. You wouldn't be stunned if you knew my post history. :negative:

XK posted:

Chris's writing style is basically cargo cult writing. He's heard those kinds of words and phrases in movies and stuff before, so his writing will be good by having it too.

The rivets thing is definitely from something, even if it's just an urban legend.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Milky Moor posted:

The rivets thing is definitely from something, even if it's just an urban legend.

Pentagon $10k screwdrivers and nuts and bolts. Admiral Parpman has a black ops slush fund he's used to build a top secret battleship he'll use at the end of Sq42 to defeat the Goonrathi and save the empire, calling it now

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Obligatory I can't believe that they're using rivets to make starships in the year 4000 AD or whatever.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The rivets thing totally reminds me of something, but I can't place it. Like something out of Robocop or whatever 80s film with some genuine satire that he's just ripping off.

XK posted:

There's a definite feeling he just rivets whatever together, with little regard for form or structure and honestly little attempt at making it his. Milky Moor's analysis is spot on, it doesn't feel like there's any back story, nothing organic. No explanation, no actual ideas that being brought together. Writing was produced as a chore and reads like a chore. He didn't care and the reader doesn't either.

Also I can't tell the characters apart in that script. They have no distinct voices to me. But maybe that's my brain rejecting what I'm reading.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The only good prose in the game are the lyrics to Full Burn.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

G0RF posted:

Wait — I’m still cleaning up the chunks blown by that audio leak.

EDIT: Also, for those of you who enjoy effort posts, I wrote a thing.

:five: for the effortpost.

I think I've figured it out, Roberts has actually tried to make another crappy sequel to Starship Troopers and failed. To boldly gently caress up where noone has hosed up before. Would you like to know more?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

The rivets thing totally reminds me of something, but I can't place it. Like something out of Robocop or whatever 80s film with some genuine satire that he's just ripping off.
There's a definite feeling he just rivets whatever together, with little regard for form or structure and honestly little attempt at making it his. Milky Moor's analysis is spot on, it doesn't feel like there's any back story, nothing organic. No explanation, no actual ideas that being brought together. Writing was produced as a chore and reads like a chore. He didn't care and the reader doesn't either.

Also I can't tell the characters apart in that script. They have no distinct voices to me. But maybe that's my brain rejecting what I'm reading.

Exactly. And sometimes you just have rough writing. But that's usually when you write something you don't care about, and that even happens in works you're passionate about. Sometimes stuff just doesn't come together. Sometimes it's a boring transitional chapter. But that stuff reads like the prose I write in a fit of pique, when I'm just trying to get something out so I'm not staring at an empty chapter, paragraph, exchange or sequence. But it's the stuff you go back and edit so heavily that it probably comes out completely different.

It's not the sort of thing you pass off to people to record.

But like, with 165 mil, he can't (or most likely won't, due to his ego) spare enough money to hire an editor or two and a team of knowledgeable people to actively hone his ideas. Like, gently caress, if you gave me even just five million I'd get an editor, a creative team, and probably a few authors I really respect to go over my work and make something great.

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/7f30ef/star_citizen_30_first_hour_in_4k/dq9az75/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWUQzbYUqGA

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I applied to CIG for a copywriter position they had advertised earlier in the year partially because I was offended by the quality of prose on display, and partly because I really want to turn far too many years of writing and editing into profit. When I checked back a long time after to see what was up (I didn't even get a rejection letter from an HR robot) they denied that there was ever such a listing after making me get an account on their HR system.

Chris Roberts eats his editorial staff. :tinfoil:

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

I need to stop following this project before i have a brain aneurysm.

Just when you think it can't, it simply CAN'T get any more money and suck any more people in, they defy expectations.

Reading that /r/Games thread, so many defenders of the earth, so many defenders of the saviour. It's an army. An impossibly stupid army that's so resolute in its conviction that it simply cannot be stopped, shouting down every dissenting opinion with "you know nothing about games development" and "good things take time!".

I get stoopider every day reading Star Citizen fan comments. They make more money and the charade continues.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Just when you think it can't, it simply CAN'T get any more money and suck any more people in, they defy expectations.

Reading that /r/Games thread, so many defenders of the earth, so many defenders of the saviour. It's an army. An impossibly stupid army that's so resolute in its conviction that it simply cannot be stopped, shouting down every dissenting opinion with "you know nothing about games development" and "good things take time!".

I get stoopider every day reading Star Citizen fan comments. They make more money and the charade continues.

Maybe they understand something you dont? Maybe its not everyone else who is wrong

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Maybe they understand something you dont? Maybe its not everyone else who is wrong

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Dogeh posted:

Star Citizen is good.

drat straight it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooor9FkZdXg

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Gimmick owned by a meme :discourse:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

IcarusUpHigh posted:

I can relate to this.

It is impossible for an individual to believe in and support Star Citizen without simultaneously believing that Derek Smart and goons are involved in an active, organised hate campaign motivated by jealousy and competition. Those 2 beliefs are mutual.

Therefore the comments defending the project (that suck the life out of me) are motivated by a natural response to a perceived attack. That's why they are irrational, angry and personal, because that's how people are wired up to respond to an attack.

Derek re-blogs and re-quotes his original 'how I got involved' stuff often, which mitigates the 'attack' narrative somewhat so I think he sees this too.

This doesn't make this stuff any less painful to read but it does mean you can look at it with an intention to analyse or understand the basic dynamic keeping the money flow going.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

SCtrumpHaters posted:

Maybe they understand something you dont?
No, they don't.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
So how come Eurogamer and Kotaku Australia have a one hour video in 4k of 3.0 that isn't a clusterfuck?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kosumo posted:

Ok, to return to the urinal talk of sometime ago.

Chris Roberts has just shat in the urinal.

Some brave twitch streamers are trying to piss the poo poo away.

It's not working, it's only making the smell worse.

:shrek:

more like Kusomo amirite

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

SomethingJones posted:

So how come Eurogamer and Kotaku Australia have a one hour video in 4k of 3.0 that isn't a clusterfuck?

It's by a citizen and he doesn't actually try any gameplay, he just flies/walks around and spins the camera lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://clips.twitch.tv/CharmingCovertHyenaStoneLightning

Streamer tries to bring up the game's menu. NPCs act normally