Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

bandaid.friend posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/CharmingCovertHyenaStoneLightning

Streamer tries to bring up the game's menu. NPCs act normally
'loving Mobiglass'

Tits tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

So many appropriate Malcolm Tucker gifs...

Congrats to CIG for thoroughly owning goons by releasing a few percent more of broken game only 6 years into development.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

I woke up yesterday thinking I had woken up in Wonderland when I heard that 3.0 had been suddenly and unceremoniously shat out released to PTU. Today I woke up to find out that a voiceover recording was leaked which contained Peter loving Capaldi?!?

Am I in a coma? Is this all some crazy dream? :psyboom:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Do any ships in SC even have rivets? Where and why?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/203844783

WTFO takes another one for the team.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

bandaid.friend posted:

lol.

By the way, is mobiglass in any way connected to their Spectrum poo poo or is Spectrum still pointless.
Yes, the answer can be "it's both", though obviously I still prefer "parp".

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Do any ships in SC even have rivets? Where and why?
The art team is surely up to the task of adding genuine 3D high-poly rivets to every ship in the game.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

SomethingJones posted:

So how come Eurogamer and Kotaku Australia have a one hour video in 4k of 3.0 that isn't a clusterfuck?

Because we are desperate to exaggerate the issues. Its really not this hard when you put aside the bias for two seconds. Yea its janky but it fundamentally works

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

bandaid.friend posted:

Lol does the UI need to query the server or something because why the gently caress would it take so long to pull it out.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Could someone post live funding tracker updates here when CIG starts their sales. Tia.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

The rivets thing totally reminds me of something, but I can't place it. Like something out of Robocop or whatever 80s film with some genuine satire that he's just ripping off.

Maybe this?

"... rivulets of molten metal splashed to the valley floor ..." (Stackpole overused that a bit in his Mechwarrior books iirc)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SelenicMartian posted:

The art team is surely up to the task of adding genuine 3D high-poly rivets to every ship in the game.

Im excited to hear how they will affect the ship combat!

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Im excited to hear how they will affect the ship combat!

Its an exciting new game mechanic. When you take damage you'll have to run around the ship, patching the damage with space rivets in order to stop the water space leaking into the ship chariot. If you dont the ship chariot will sink crash into the planet below.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I like how howls of "You'll see how wrong you are when 3.0 lands!" have turned back into "It's alphaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!"

Deathsquid
Apr 26, 2017

Milky Moor posted:

Exactly. And sometimes you just have rough writing. But that's usually when you write something you don't care about, and that even happens in works you're passionate about. Sometimes stuff just doesn't come together. Sometimes it's a boring transitional chapter. But that stuff reads like the prose I write in a fit of pique, when I'm just trying to get something out so I'm not staring at an empty chapter, paragraph, exchange or sequence. But it's the stuff you go back and edit so heavily that it probably comes out completely different.

It's not the sort of thing you pass off to people to record.

But like, with 165 mil, he can't (or most likely won't, due to his ego) spare enough money to hire an editor or two and a team of knowledgeable people to actively hone his ideas. Like, gently caress, if you gave me even just five million I'd get an editor, a creative team, and probably a few authors I really respect to go over my work and make something great.

Ah, this reminded me of something that bothered me about Star Citizen "lore" in general - despite trying to pass it off as sci-fi, it still feels more like space fantasy. It very much seems to be a result of breaking the rule of sticking to writing about the things you know. The writing team (and Chris) don't know enough about the science part, and the result is a bit of an uncanny valley in written form. Going full space fantasy would've removed this problem for them as everything could be solved through the means of space gods, space wizards and handwavium, but as we know, it's not quite the case.

However, that said, how does one gently caress up a newsroom interview script? Our mass media is saturated with this stuff, the format is well established and easily accessible, just turn on one of dozens of news channels and mindlessly ape a debate - how hard can it be? Or do they feel the need to reinvent everything? Tech and management weren't enough, and even the whole xenolinguistics were not the final fronteer, CIG needs to reinvent newsroom drama too now?

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xaerael posted:

I like how howls of "You'll see how wrong you are when 3.0 lands!" have turned back into "It's alphaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!"

Its still on the ptu

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

kilus aof posted:

Pure speculation about this trademark filing:

They are going to make in universe shows you can watch through the launcher and this is an example of one.

No. They are looking to make movies and other media using the IP. That's pretty standard. Just like what happened with Wing Commander.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Chris Roberts school of script writing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irc_dew1eYw

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Xaerael posted:

Chris Roberts school of script writing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irc_dew1eYw

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand 3.0. The gameplay is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the mechanics will go over a typical players head. The fans understand this; they have the intellectual capacity to appreciate the depths of these mechanics. As a consequence people who dislike 3.0 truly ARE idiots, they couldn't appreciate the humour in Chris's existential catchphrase "Soon tm" which itself is a cryptic reference to CIG literature.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
FF to 3:36:00 and watch. Also, the comments are hilarious. :laugh:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/203688567

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Daztek posted:

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand 3.0. The gameplay is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the mechanics will go over a typical players head. The fans understand this; they have the intellectual capacity to appreciate the depths of these mechanics. As a consequence people who dislike 3.0 truly ARE idiots, they couldn't appreciate the humour in Chris's existential catchphrase "Soon tm" which itself is a cryptic reference to CIG literature.

:golfclap:

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

I don't care about streamers and your comments here. I'm just waiting for the in-depth 3.0 review from pixelemonade to see if it's now worth to buy a game package and subscribe.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/SP_Ulti/status/926321899789078528

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Daztek posted:

The funny part is that they don't even have proper Newtonian mechanics or gravity that makes any sense at all, but instead of ditching realistic physics to make a more entertaining flight model they made ships have super powerful thrusters, pathetic top speeds and noclip in atmospheres.

Actually while we're here, how many of the top posters in this thread were responsible for buying into the hype in 2013 or whenever? Shame on you. You should all have to write long blog posts begging forgiveness.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

So how come Eurogamer and Kotaku Australia have a one hour video in 4k of 3.0 that isn't a clusterfuck?

It looks like they have edited the bugs out of it. Its very obvious even right at the start they seem to have cut their first bug. Watch this: https://youtu.be/RVrsLsvW5-I?t=27

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Risc1911 posted:

It looks like they have edited the bugs out of it. Its very obvious even right at the start they seem to have cut their first bug. Watch this: https://youtu.be/RVrsLsvW5-I?t=27

They're passing that video off as the first hour of gameplay from a player pov

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Daztek posted:

It's true. I once thought that all of the physics and collisions were irredeemably broken because the underlying engine had been butchered, hacked and ruined, but then I realised that the gameworld is inside a bose-einstein condensate, the ships are constructed in real time around a point mass using first order differential invariants and the commando's nipple jets are an artistic abstraction of Kirchhoff's law of thermal emissions

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
This is literally my first time ever watching anything about Star Citizen on a stream and this happens within 30 seconds:

https://clips.twitch.tv/LongTsunderePastaArsonNoSexy

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Gamers aren't even buying the retail copies of EA's new Star Wars themed running around a corner simulator, does this mean that the big game review sites who gave it top reviews are finally loosing relevancy?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Teikanmi posted:

This is literally my first time ever watching anything about Star Citizen on a stream and this happens within 30 seconds:

https://clips.twitch.tv/LongTsunderePastaArsonNoSexy

These clips are amazing

I'd love to know which videogame these CIG guys were crunching on, because it sure as poo poo wasn't Star Citizen

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Let's get down to the important gameplay questions.

Can you move a box?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

SomethingJones posted:

I'd love to know which videogame these CIG guys were crunching on, because it sure as poo poo wasn't Star Citizen

So SQ42 in 2017 confirmed?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

big nipples big life posted:

Can you move a box?

Don't be silly, this is alpha. Box moving arrives in beta.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Teikanmi posted:

LongTsunderePastaArsonNoSexy[/url]

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Lmao

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

big nipples big life posted:

Can you move a box?

One streamer I saw couldn't pick up a box because it displayed the wrong command and then he got stuck in the floor and couldn't move.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

The dozens of Twitch streamers playing Alpha 3.0 on PTU yesterday, to thousands of eager viewers, must have done wonders for the day's funding right?

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Quavers posted:

The dozens of Twitch streamers playing Alpha 3.0 on PTU yesterday, to thousands of eager viewers, must have done wonders for the day's funding right?

:negative:

Lets wait for the sale.