Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sale is 5 hours away. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Milky Moor posted:

I'm not saying Johnny Pilotman is a good VA in this, because he's dreadful, but the dialogue there is so boring and uninspired and it doesn't really tell you anything.

For example, let's look at the very first lines.

QUINT: Hello and welcome to another edition of Showdown. I am your host, Eria Quint. Senator Kyle Polo stunned the Empire by withdrawing his bill for increased military cutbacks for senate consideration and will reintroduce the bill for public referendum what does this mean and why should anyone care? why is cutting military spending a bad thing?. The move has sent shockwaves through the Empire How/why?. My guests come at the issue from two very different perspectives like what? it this an issue with a lot of history or is it a new one?. My first guest is the host of the controversial opinion show Plain Truth. Please welcome Parker Tyrell why is it controversial, what is tyrell known for? is he a contrarian or is he an idealogue?.

QUINT: My second guest is decorated naval combat pilot what is he decorated with and what for?, and current flight leader of the legendary Squadron 42: Commander Ryan Enright why is S42 legendary and what are Enright's achievements? why is any old pilot doing an interview on cutbacks, even if it's a legendary unit?

Like, there's just no context. The host -- Quint -- seemingly has no love for her job and no flair. It's all so dry and boring. It's like a political argument between two random people because the show couldn't source anyone interestng. Imagine something like.

"My guests come at this heated, embittered issue from two opposing perspectives that promise the biggest Showdown yet! First, we have the unabashedly political and unashamedly controversial host of the UEE's most popular opinion show Plain Truth. You might love him, you probably hate him, but please put your hands together for Parker Tyrell! And my second guest is a decorated naval combat pilot with the Empire Medal of Heroism and no less than three Platinum Stars. He's a veteran of twelve separate campaigns with the legendary Squadron 42, the saviors of Alpha Centauri, and is widely acknowledged for writing the book on anti-Vanduul tactics -- Duelling the Vanduul -- and his public remarks for the necessity of ending the Vanduul threat. Some call him a war hero, others call him a war hawk. But please welcome, Commander Ryan Enright!"

For what's supposedly a passion project, there's no passion.

It's the result of having the will and the means to do something, but lacking the skill and the knowledge to do it well. Chris just regurgitates things he heard in books, movies, etc. and just tosses them together without regard to tone or anything else really.

It makes a certain bit of sense to refer to Star Citizen as "the dream" because it has the structural integrity of a typical nightmare.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Can I change my total to 5.45 (I forgot to run the figures through the fools, broken backers & whales algorithm)

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

his nibs posted:

Can I change my total to 5.45 (I forgot to run the figures through the fools, broken backers & whales algorithm)

I think we are underestimateing the hysteria. I've got my finger on the pulse and people are flipping the gently caress out for this sale. It might beat last years.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

A good investment

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:lol: so many brokebrains

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

ewe2 posted:

:five: for the effortpost.

I think I've figured it out, Roberts has actually tried to make another crappy sequel to Starship Troopers and failed. To boldly gently caress up where noone has hosed up before. Would you like to know more?

EightAce tried to warn us ages ago:

EightAce posted:

Dont know where 10 hours is from ? He has shot far, far more than that and is still shooting bits. Its beyond belief bad. Not 'Ed Wood , its a product of its time and has a certain charm' bad , but really loving bad.

Imagine that you are about 12 and have just watched Starship troopers and you have viewed it in a truly un ironic way. You think the dialogue is bad rear end and the uniforms and one liners are so so cool. You cant imagine in your young mind how anyone could design anything that good, or even how SFX can progress anymore.

Now imagine a group of people give you more money than you can possibly imagine and tell you to go and make your very own Starship troopers. You go and get Luke Skywalker and that lady off the xfiles that makes you feel funny down there and then you get some like minded friends who all think you are great to build some spaceships and stuff. Some people start moaning that this isn't what they have given you money for but you totally ignore them, wait until they see what you have been up to, they will all see, all of them .........

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Patch x+1 is when the game will be great, you'll see!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

kilus aof posted:

One streamer I saw couldn't pick up a box because it displayed the wrong command and then he got stuck in the floor and couldn't move.

PC Gaming is truly saved.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

WTF!
10k is a really nice motorbike, which you can actually use, and only crashes if someone else is not looking where they are going, and smashes into that back of you. Like someone did to me last night... :bang:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Imagine how many games you could buy on Steam or whatever for ten thousand dollars

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I watched some guy stream 3.0 for 2-3k people for a little bit last night, and I had forgotten how bad the shills were. Anyone who said anything critical about the game in chat was shouted down by a chorus of people calling them idiots. So many people saying that the FPS will improve when netcode gets redone in the next patch, and talking about all the amazing things you will be able to do in SC (one day) to people asking about the game. The streamer then said the only bad thing about the SC community were the Derek Smartians, while his twitch bot linked the Aurora package and his referral code.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Duckaerobics posted:

I watched some guy stream 3.0 for 2-3k people for a little bit last night, and I had forgotten how bad the shills were. Anyone who said anything critical about the game in chat was shouted down by a chorus of people calling them idiots. So many people saying that the FPS will improve when netcode gets redone in the next patch, and talking about all the amazing things you will be able to do in SC (one day) to people asking about the game. The streamer then said the only bad thing about the SC community were the Derek Smartians, while his twitch bot linked the Aurora package and his referral code.

It's the perfect pyramid scheme set-up. Almost admirable for its complete lack of scruples.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Duckaerobics posted:

Reddit is overwhelmingly positive. RSI is overwhelmingly positive. Maybe the streamer and people watching the stream really like the game and dislike people taking time out of their day to go poo poo on it?

A shill is someone who disingenuously pretends to like something to get other skeptical people to like it. This clearly isn't whats happening here.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Foo Diddley posted:

Imagine how many games you could buy on Steam or whatever for ten thousand dollars

Who cares about having 100s of games sitting forgotten and unplayed in your Steam library, when you could have $10k of space ship picture fidelity and all the wonderful dreams they inspire.

It's like you have no passion or imagination, and are clearly unworthy of becoming a Citizen.

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quavers posted:

Who cares about having 100s of games sitting forgotten and unplayed in your Steam library, when you could have $10k of space ship picture fidelity and all the wonderful dreams they inspire.

It's like you have no passion or imagination, and are clearly unworthy of becoming a Citizen.

I would rather spend 10k on a handful of games I'd play instead of hundreds I'd never play but that's just my smart brain talking.

For most of these gamers SC is probably the last game they will ever play. When SC peters out like a decade from now they'll probably be too old to like games. So this is a smarter investment than having some arbitrarily big steam library of poo poo.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

Wait — I’m still cleaning up the chunks blown by that audio leak.

EDIT: Also, for those of you who enjoy effort posts, I wrote a thing.

It seems kind of pointless stating it all here since it’s taken as given at this point. I think I’m getting triggered to typing by Chris and Sandi’s smug cutesy Burndown banter as they try to pretend they’re not squeezing out a half-digested turdito at the very last minute expressly so they can remove any impulse purchase impediments from their spacepixel junkie customers.

No drat shame these sleazy greedy cheesy wannabes.

Good post, G0RF!

Star Citizen - defiant, deluded and worthy of divine judgment

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Latin Pheonix posted:

I woke up yesterday thinking I had woken up in Wonderland when I heard that 3.0 had been suddenly and unceremoniously shat out released to PTU. Today I woke up to find out that a voiceover recording was leaked which contained Peter loving Capaldi?!?

Am I in a coma? Is this all some crazy dream? :psyboom:

Try waking up from a fever dream at 4 AM with a high fever. I'm still not 100% sure whether all this is for real or if my brain is just delusional from the heat.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

And remember, the guy who spent 10K posted that before the PTU was launched.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHY-ODm51QU

Click on any point in the second half of this video for amazing fidelity and immersion

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

There's something seriously hosed with doorways lol

Stuff only seems to load in if you pass the threshold

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Daztek posted:

Click on any point in the second half of this video for amazing fidelity and immersion

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Daztek posted:

Ba ha ha ha ha ha ha

PC gaming is saved!!!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Daztek posted:

Definitely VR ready.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I'm glad of the person in chat begging someone to tell him how to get out of his seat.

This is some primo survival horror.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Daztek posted:

Ha ha ha, and this was what everyone was waiting over a year for. This was over a year late.

This is what will give them another exactly 6.4 million dollars. Sigh (because that's my prediction, and I'm always right of course)

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:ohdear:

:kingsley:

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Has anyone even seen a streamer complete a mission or a gameplay loop yet?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Daztek posted:

Hmm, only watched about 20 seconds, but in that 20s I discovered that the only way to make a door open in 3.0 is to hammer the living fuckery out of the 'open door' popup and then look away from the door.

It's like doors are shy or something, "avert your gaze".

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Sabreseven posted:

Hmm, only watched about 20 seconds, but in that 20s I discovered that the only way to make a door open in 3.0 is to hammer the living fuckery out of the 'open door' popup and then look away from the door.

It's like doors are shy or something, "avert your gaze".

Forget Prey 2017 and its mimics, Star Citizen has better antagonists. Doors and ramps and ladders. They're really dangerous. And benches too. Those are real traps. They'll glue your rear end and you won't be able to recover.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

With Halloween over again, the headless horseman finds other projects to get involved in to keep the lights on at the old ghostly manse.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Codezombie posted:

WTF!
10k is a really nice motorbike, which you can actually use, and only crashes if someone else is not looking where they are going, and smashes into that back of you. Like someone did to me last night... :bang:

Who’a! I hope you are ok, friend!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Daztek posted:

Is this really on the highest settings? Orbital entry looks worse than in elite.

oh my god how is any of this happening?

Its like that loving episode in futurama

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 24, 2017

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Daztek posted:

I watched the whole thng.......wow. This is so sad. I would be so depressd if I had skin in it and had been waiting all these years for this moment.

And seriously, the graphics look no different then a slightly upgraded version of DOOM 3 (which came out in 2004). I’m not seeing anything that’s vsually gong to set the new bar across the industry.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

All those purchases are just donations to the cause. They shouldn’t be upset any. In fact they should be happy because now they can donate even more to the cause!

I think CIG should do the honorable thing and just empty everybody’s accounts, because it’s not paying to win as the backers say, it’s helping CIG build TBDSSE. Giving so many people the ability to donate on a clean, fresh slate would probably make everybody happy. :)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

seriously, what can cause a game to loving act like that? Yes its spaghetti code all the way but what is causing the player to warp around the ship like that? Its obviously a server related issue, its the only way the rubberbanding makes sense but the rooms disappearing? It looks like each room is an independent instance that takes a poo poo whenever the server is feeling ill

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

RubberJohnny posted:

Has anyone even seen a streamer complete a mission or a gameplay loop yet?

Is a gameplay loop talking about how cool 3.0 is and then receiving cash or subscribers.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
I think lowballing predictions on sale revenues — as depicted by the tracker — presumes too much about Roberts’ personal character.

Annual revenues are perhaps the single most important metric there is when setting forward-looking narratives of expectation and backward-looking assessments of historic trends. And as the year-end nears, the season of such assessments returns — for backers, the media and the broader gaming public at large.

Having already made the history books...
Having blown past years of worth deadlines...
Having made hugely embarrassing gaffes in their highest profile events...
Having experienced in-depth media critiques of their various development problems...
Having become an industry whisper-net case study “File Under: Here lies Chris Roberts, again”
Having lost the benefit of the doubt and presumptions of triumphant success...
Having given indicators of waning demand via the same tracker for the majority of the year...

CIG approaches the year-end in an extremely vulnerable state. Without Herculean course-corrections, they face the very real prospects of ending the year with a marked decline in revenues. The development of both Star Citizen and Squadron 42 already appear victims of development hell — the absence (again) of Squadron 42 despite claims by Roberts (again) it was nearing release is bad enough. The ICU state of the prematurely born yet 10 months late 3.0 only darkens their optics further.

Putting aside whatever their short term financial needs are, the success of the Anniversary Sale is therefore of paramount symbolic importance. A narrative of declining fortunes and waning public demand is widely-presumed and already much discussed. It hasn’t yet become the lede for their story, yet the presumptions are widespread that such a chapter is due to begin in their tale — too much do they now resemble past archetypical development hell DOAs.

Given CIG’s absolute control without oversight of their sales ticker and given Chris Roberts complete ethical bankruptcy, does anyone seriously believe he would sit idly by and let organic demand as reflected by an honest tracker dictate his entire future? If private manipulations can escape the scrutiny of their backers and the media, postpone his overdue public reckoning and preserve the confidence of his most critical financial supporters, does anyone really believe this pathological deceiver would not pursue them?

As with every word that spatters and spittles out of his mouth, I just find that very hard to believe. If ever there was a time to bend truth towards his warped intentions, it is now. His need to preserve his colossal ego and the massive self-deluding distortion field that protects it from unvarnished reality has never been greater and where there’s a will, there’s a way.

The tracker is his last chance after an inarguably lousy year to tell the tale anew, and I believe Chris Roberts would move Heaven and Earth to ensure that the tale it will tell is the very same one no less than Daztek himself often repeats.

”Star Citizen is good.”

(I could of course be wrong but that’s how I feel.)

G0RF fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Bleh, seems planetary features are mostly height maps dragged through and prettified by shaders. In one of the videos, with those racing canyons, you could see them being repeated. Some procedural generation.