Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
is the macintoshOperatingSystem's context menu a piece of poo poo like windows'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

is the macintoshOperatingSystem's context menu a piece of poo poo like windows'?

not that i've noticed but how do you mean

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
it's less functional which helps

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Chris Knight posted:

it's less functional which helps

there's less of an urge for every driver and app to cram a new entry in, at least

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

i've never noticed it take literal seconds to load; a feat i've seen the windows one accomplish numerous times. so probably not?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that honestly must be the single worst part of windows

i tidy it up myself with autoruns but even then i only know half of what i am doing

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

carry on then posted:

not that i've noticed but how do you mean

the fact that 1st and 3rd party programs create entries for themselves willy-nilly. they're useful about 1/3rd of the time and i don't like having to janitor my menus.

does tim just make it harder to alter the context menu? or are mac app writers just less annoying?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

the fact that 1st and 3rd party programs create entries for themselves willy-nilly. they're useful about 1/3rd of the time and i don't like having to janitor my menus.

does tim just make it harder to alter the context menu? or are mac app writers just less annoying?

i think the only way you can get something in there is to create a service, but those go in a sub menu and you can show or hide them in system preferences

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I can’t remember the last time I used a system service. not since growl was rendered unnecessary.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

last time i used it was to right click two files and do a "compare using Beyond Compare"

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

carry on then posted:

i think the only way you can get something in there is to create a service, but those go in a sub menu and you can show or hide them in system preferences

:tipshat:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
free cremboon

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dislike button posted:

free cremboon

no

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
guess what happens when you fill up every screen of your new iphone with apps? they just go wherever the gently caress

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

its obviously waiting

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I'm kind of digging that Awful app icon.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

its v good

Feb 8, 2008
My 6 is feeling old and boring and giving apple some money may help briefly fill the void inside of me, so do I buy a 64gb 8 or get a 128gb SE + 128gb LTE iPad 9.7"?

7734 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 25, 2017

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I'm kind of digging that Awful app icon.

why is mine still old

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

7734 posted:

My 6 is feeling old and boring and giving apple some money may help briefly fill the void inside of me, so do I buy a 64gb 8 or get a 128gb SE + 128gb LTE iPad 9.7"?

se

do you really need lte on the ipad? you can probably just tether from the phone

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
the battery life on my iphone se is so much worse since ios 11. loving apple

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Rex-Goliath posted:

why is mine still old

you can choose from a variety of icons in the setting screen now

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Grassy Knowles posted:

you can choose from a variety of icons in the setting screen now

ty :frog:

Feb 8, 2008

poty posted:

se

do you really need lte on the ipad? you can probably just tether from the phone

this is a very good suggestion I didn’t even think about. Verizon stiffs me for $10 a month to add another lte device anyways

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Amethyst posted:

the battery life on my iphone se is so much worse since ios 11. loving apple

your phone is extremely old. replace the battery dummy

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

i only updated a week ago and the battery was doing fine. 40 hours on a charge. now i'm lucky if i get 12

https://www.wandera.com/blog/ios-11-battery-drain/

loving apple.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
huh.

i have an iphone se 64gb, purchased in may. it still lasts two days, sometimes two and a half on a charge, running ios 11.1.2

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
maybe the difference is not running an mdm solution that has battery drain issues on ios 11?

who knows?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
never forget that 3 years ago blackberry tried this

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/blackberry-will-pay-iphone-users-up-to-600-to-switch-phones-1.2848915

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

infernal machines posted:

maybe the difference is not running an mdm solution that has battery drain issues on ios 11?

who knows?

you really believe i'd work somewhere that puts MDM crap on my phone? smh

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
it's really fuckin funny to check out the iPhone X preorder threads over at MacRumors and read all these posts where people are literally tracking UPS planes. how hosed up do you have to be to care so much about a goddamned telephone

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

that used to happen here every phone release

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Marco wrote a thing about how everything about the new MacBook Pro is bad and he wants his old laptop back. but he is such a bitch about it that even the points that he gets right are whiny and made in the most cry baby way possible.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Amethyst posted:

you really believe i'd work somewhere that puts MDM crap on my phone? smh

i don't really believe you have a job

i'm just pointing out that the other shared data point in that survey is their mdm software, so if they hosed it up on ios 11, you'd see the same results

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

cis autodrag posted:

and turn off background refresh while you are at it. developers should never have been trusted with that power.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

developers should never have been trusted.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

developers should never have been

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The Management posted:

Marco wrote a thing about how everything about the new MacBook Pro is bad and he wants his old laptop back. but he is such a bitch about it that even the points that he gets right are whiny and made in the most cry baby way possible.
the touchbar is extra annoying because it shuts off the screen. it’s bad that you have to hunt for an escape key or volume key, but having to push twice is annoying , and then the volume controls don’t disappear automatically after you use them, and and and

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I enjoy the new MBP and its butttouchbar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i enjoy my the new mbp with escape key