Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Add me to the list of people stealing this and using it tomorrow. As the person whose job it is to run a flaming hot sheet pan of biscuits down to the other end of our cramped kitchen, I'm usually the one yelling "HOT BEHIND HOT BEHIND OOO YEAH [line guy I'm delivering to] HAS A HOT BEHIND"

On the subject of call-outs: one woman there does this thing when she's on the line getting tickets. A new tix will come in, and she precedes her call-out with something that sounds like "newbies". Like her patter is:
"NEW BEEZ GUYS! DROP SPECIAL, DROP BRISKET, DROP CATFISH, I NEED TWO CAKES ALL DAY"

What does the new beez thing mean? I get in context it means just that a new ticket's in, I guess? Just never heard it before, and I'm a little embarrassed to ask, for fear of looking like a newbie myself.

Only speaking as an outsider, maybe it's a mangling of New Biz(ness)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

when you finish clopening shift 2 but have to go in to open the next day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBd-aa2YnPI

love 2 work full time in 3 days

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pro tip: if you try to call in sick, you better call the boss first, especially on black Friday night

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Sign on the door: No animals allowed inside except service animals as defined in the ADA

Policy: Anyone can bring whatever dog in without question

Reality: Any dog who misbehaves is immediately evicted along with owner.

This saves you any and all headaches about determining what is and isn't a service dog, keeps dogs from being a disturbance and keeps you within the law.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Our corporate training told us we are allowed to ask if an animal is a trained service animal as well as what task or service they are trained to perform. I assume this got checked off by someone who knows ADA law better than I do.

Personally I loving love dogs, pet every dog that walks past me and sleep in a bed with a dog when I'm at my parents house but if your dog is loud or misbehaving it doesn't belong in a restaurant, regardless if it's status.

We had a lady in with her "service cat" the other night but it was chill and just sat in her lap all night and other than chuckling nobody cared.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

pile of brown posted:

Our corporate training told us we are allowed to ask if an animal is a trained service animal as well as what task or service they are trained to perform. I assume this got checked off by someone who knows ADA law better than I do.

Personally I loving love dogs, pet every dog that walks past me and sleep in a bed with a dog when I'm at my parents house but if your dog is loud or misbehaving it doesn't belong in a restaurant, regardless if it's status.

We had a lady in with her "service cat" the other night but it was chill and just sat in her lap all night and other than chuckling nobody cared.

This is exactly what you're supposed to do. You're not allowed to ask the nature of the disability, there are no official papers of any kind (unless your city has a registration/licensing requirement for pets of all kinds - there is no requirement for service animals under ADA, in fact it's specifically disallowed), etc. It's kind of a lovely way to manage it given the number of people who will buy those "service animal" vests so they can bring their dog everywhere, or lie through their teeth. But it's the best system we have today, so whatever.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
We have a new hire in BoH and he is a gigantic goony gently caress with no social skills. This was probably his second or third shift with me so I hadn't really gotten to know him or anything. Anyway he tried to be funny or something last night to me (dude came out of the kitchen to the bar and demanded a cup whilst I was serving a customer) and came off as a gigantic rear end in a top hat with no manners. It was just plain ol' weird and I can't think of a time where that might be acceptable. I raised this as a problem with the other FoH staff and apparently the dude isn't a team player and acts super bizarrely, so I'm glad that I have less than a month before I finally leave hospitality for the green green pastures of psychology.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

From working with loons to working with loons I see.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

iospace posted:

From working with loons to working with loons I see.

You'd have to be crazy to think anyone will notice another madman around here

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
While I realize the correct spelling for the purposes of BoH labeling is always, ALWAYS "masculine mix" I cannot stop pronouncing it "mescaline mix"

We did seven covers today. Good day.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I went somewhere for brunch at 1130 this morning, in the entire place there was one 4 top and just me and gf sitting at the bar and I could count five cooks and a dishwasher in the open kitchen, four servers, bartender, a hostess, and two foh managers there, plus both the owners who hang out there and bother customers. As we left a 10 top reservation was arriving and requested the bartender by name as their server.

Meanwhile at my place we did ~60 brunch covers with 1 cook, 1 sous chef, 1 server 1 bartender and 1 foh manager and I didn't hit labor goals for the service... I am constantly baffled by other restaurants... What the gently caress were all those people doing? Even if they all make minimum wage that's like 400% of what it costs to run my kitchen for a busier service.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 27, 2017

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I love how the industry works people to death and then turns it into the new normal

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I know it’s a few pages back, but the article on Atelier Crenn is insanely misleading... I love Dominique and she’s a great voice in the industry but like, everything outlined in that article are the legal minimums required by law here in SF, other than higher wages for cooks, which is an industry standard here, if not legally mandated. You cannot hire BOH here in SF for less than like, $20 an hour.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

pile of brown posted:

I went somewhere for brunch at 1130 this morning, in the entire place there was one 4 top and just me and gf sitting at the bar and I could count five cooks and a dishwasher in the open kitchen, four servers, bartender, a hostess, and two foh managers there, plus both the owners who hang out there and bother customers. As we left a 10 top reservation was arriving and requested the bartender by name as their server.

Meanwhile at my place we did ~60 brunch covers with 1 cook, 1 sous chef, 1 server 1 bartender and 1 foh manager and I didn't hit labor goals for the service... I am constantly baffled by other restaurants... What the gently caress were all those people doing? Even if they all make minimum wage that's like 400% of what it costs to run my kitchen for a busier service.

I...... want to know the same thing.

I have never managed a restaurant or been in charge of costs, but I've written business plans and done cost accounting and financials and poo poo for non-food businesses, and when I walk in to a place like this I just start doing rough math in my head and can never loving figure it out.

I'm reassured when a place I am :gonk: about closes after 6 months, but there are some places I'll go to that are like that and they've been around 20 years, and I just don't loving understand. and want to so badly.

Unless you're doing like 100+ covers, "1 cook, 1 sous chef, 1 server 1 bartender and 1 foh manager" sounds like plenty of crew. maybe two servers, because one is never enough, and maybe two cooks, or one more 'exec' dude on the line. still though, mathwise, jesus.

the only thing I can think of is if you use daytime hours to spread out prepwork and just kinda break even, allowing you to run a leaner crew at night where you're killing it on tons of covers and lots of alcohol service.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Nov 28, 2017

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
They're money laundering. Pretty common.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

They're money laundering. Pretty common.

this.

Virgin Foodie Hipster sees empty seats, listless and disengaged staff with nothing to do, and wonders how it all holds together.

Chad Industry Shithole Veteran knows that 30 minutes before open the register was filled with 200 covers worth of phantasmatic customers all ordering double helpings of everything, creating a nice safe and clean revenue source that can be split up amongst the ownership and spent legitimately and in the open in front of God and the IRS and everyone, with the proprietors taking a nice little cut and the employees getting The Easiest Job Ever as a bonus. people start asking questions, or you need to start producing quickly? throw a private party or three and "cater" it to plausibly make up the difference.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Restaurants: a shady place for (formerly) sunny people.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

The Restaurant Industry Thread: They're money laundering. Pretty common.

How can I report places that are doing this to the police in a way that leads to their closure?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Discendo Vox posted:

How can I report places that are doing this to the police in a way that leads to their closure?

What's your opinion of fish, re: sleeping with them?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Discendo Vox posted:

As the poster above said.... Do you want to die for no reason?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Doesn't the IRS offer a cut of the evaded taxes if you give them credible information about it?

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Doesn't the IRS offer a cut of the evaded taxes if you give them credible information about it?

If they do I'm going to guess that "I had brunch at a restaurant with more employees than customers and some randos on SA told me that means they're money laundering" falls short of the criteria for credible information.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Crazy Larry posted:

If they do I'm going to guess that "I had brunch at a restaurant with more employees than customers and some randos on SA told me that means they're money laundering" falls short of the criteria for credible information.

Probably yeah. Time to go through their trash and get shot

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Real talk though: one of my biggest pet peeves, when we're dead, is people going "WOW, SO BUSY HERE".

Thanks, I didn't notice, jackass.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

You don't, because you'd need evidence, and to get evidence you need to work there, and to work there you probably need to be a friend of a friend that so and so can vouch for.

Source: I know a guy who owns a nightclub he renovated with a "kitchen"

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I just..... I mean, I'm sure money laundering happens in the industry, but the places I have in mind really don't seem like they'd have ownership involved with anything like that? Like how common do you really think it is, or how often have yall come across it personally?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mindphlux posted:

I just..... I mean, I'm sure money laundering happens in the industry, but the places I have in mind really don't seem like they'd have ownership involved with anything like that? Like how common do you really think it is, or how often have yall come across it personally?

There are also restaurants owned by people who got rich doing something else and thought it'd be fun to own a restaurant. And instead what they own is a vacuum cleaner for their excess wealth.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Skwirl posted:

There are also restaurants owned by people who got rich doing something else and thought it'd be fun to own a restaurant. And instead what they own is a vacuum cleaner for their excess wealth.

Redistributed to the working class!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

mindphlux posted:

3 different restaurant/bar groups in Austin have been busted for it in the past few years, and one of those was funding ISIS or something(and ironically owned 2 gay bars).

It's not super common, because it takes actual work to pull off without setting off any red flags. But that one restaurant that seems to close every 6mos-1yr and never advertised, but always reopens quickly with new decor that's probably provided by another business they or someone they know owns? Yeah, that place.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

mindphlux posted:

I worked in one for a few months and got out before the jig was up, thanks in no small part to CdC actually.

And that youd never suspect a front is kind of the entire idea of such.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Edit: Wrong forum.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

you idiot

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Sorry I’m not a fan of organized crime? :shrug:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Go join the police or something then, you schmuck

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

But you post in the industry thread. Like 50% of the people in here have either been a part of organized crime, dealt with organized crime, or are still involved with organized crime.

I'm all for raising my voice and speaking out against racism, bigotry, etc. without much care for my own personal being, because that's something I can realistically combat.

You can't fight organized crime, it's all around you. I mean gently caress, my produce rep is a 1%er, got arrested in that Waco shootout a few years ago, had a job with a competing produce company 2 days after he was released. And his poo poo is the best, probably because those farms are also involved in some way, and do everything to high standards so nobody has a reason to see what else is going on there.

e: in work news, almost everything is up and running, should start stocking kitchens soon, which is great because we're doing training out of a small 2 line kitchen with 6 burners, 1 oven, a grill, and flattop for about 70 employees atm. Just need the goddamn boilermaker to hurry up and certify his goddamn work so we can have hot running water and get our food service application process going.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 29, 2017

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Just need the goddamn boilermaker to hurry up

This is me after a long shift! Am I right folks!!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

are you batman?

if not: you. eeeeediot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

gegi posted:

Redistributed to the working class!

I think in those cases it's being redistributed to the landlord most of the time, not exactly a communist paradise.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

How do y'all feel about dogs in restaurants? It's a trend here, and I'm curious about the potential issues.

I'd rather not unless it's a proper support animal. Like no recreationals at all and require papers for the rest (like my current restaurant does). Restaurants are loud and possibly stressful for dogs (I hate the loving 32 year-old punks that bring their poor dogs to shows) and too many dogs can create allergy issues for customers. Besides that, I find it tacky and I'm kind of tired of the dogs being a hippy-dippy fashion accessory lately

Also lol dude half the restaurants in our town dealt drugs and had ~*connections.*~ There was famously The Gopper's where "extra pineapple" was code to leave a baggy of weed in the box.

Suddenly I'm reminded of the fact I never finished that story I was writing for the thread. The tweaker chef at the project paid for his habit by taking out money from a lone shark who showed up to collect one night to find that he was having a fight with his meth-addicted girlfriend. I hear he's in New Haven right now.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

organized crime is cool