Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Nobody is discounting that there are more men in power in certain fields, especially Hollywood.

To me that's justification enough to make a post where I specify that "men" should do something without having to get into a semantic argument about it.

Really though, it'd be great to turn the entire thing around and make it so women were equally paid for their work and had many more powerful positions in all of these industries, but I thought maybe at least for now we could settle for just not sexually harassing and assaulting them.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The argument only started when your response was to say men are the primary issue. They're just the issue people are more comfortable speaking about.

But I'm sorry for the derail.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Basebf555 posted:

To me that's justification enough to make a post where I specify that "men" should do something without having to get into a semantic argument about it.

I wasn't taking issue with your points, but to Timeless Appeal seemingly saying that sexual misconduct is, not only gendered by nature, but specifically gendered to be a male issue, and then going on to imply that we don't know if women in power would do the same things, when they provably can and have done.

Aisha
Sep 25, 2009

I've heard of households where the boys have to do equal amounts of laundry/cooking/cleaning/babysitting etc. but I have never seen one in real life.
Women obviously have sexually abused men (and children and other women) and we do have a lot of improving to do as a society.

But along with the fact that men are more likely to be in positions of power, I do think that men are more likely to be taught that sex is in itself an "accomplishment" or even a "conquest". Women who have a lot of sex are often shamed for lacking self-control or "giving it up", men who have a lot of sex are often seen as better and more desirable accomplished men (ie the dumb slut/stud or lock/key dichotomy). It's all over Hollywood/media in particular and society in general, including this forum. Its why men are so much more likely to buy into PUA garbage. Not that women are better people (not remotely), but men are more likely to be fed and internalize a specifically warped attitude towards sex/power. ime.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

precision posted:

I wasn't taking issue with your points, but to Timeless Appeal seemingly saying that sexual misconduct is, not only gendered by nature, but specifically gendered to be a male issue, and then going on to imply that we don't know if women in power would do the same things, when they provably can and have done.
Friend, literally the first thing I said in this conversation is that sexual abuse is not unique to men and I don't think I implied that men are inherently rapists. Men are disproportionately responsible for sexual abuse and harassment and women are disproportionately the victims. That is clearly true in the Hollywood cases that have come out.

I thank you for being frank about your own experiences, and I get how it can feel that your experience is being discounted. But I'm sorry, individual stories of what is statistically outlier behavior is not enough to make the claim that women in power abuse equally to men. Honestly, I think there is a bigger misunderstanding about the problem in Hollywood and in general. I think we're drawing this parallel between power corrupting and being responsible for what these men did, and I don't think that's true either. Speaking as a dude sexually harassed working for a TV show, the harassment I received came from people in lower ranks.

I don't think the belief that we have a society that has made many, many men dangerously predisposed to sexually harassing, assaulting, and humiliating others is naive or sexist nor does it discount the fact that yes, some women do abuse.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Timeless Appeal posted:

I thank you for being frank about your own experiences, and I get how it can feel that your experience is being discounted. But I'm sorry, individual stories of what is statistically outlier behavior is not enough to make the claim that women in power abuse equally to men.

If you discount "individual stories of what is statistically outlier behavior" then we're not left with any evidence that men in power are abusive either.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

If you discount "individual stories of what is statistically outlier behavior" then we're not left with any evidence that men in power are abusive either.
I'm not discounting anyone's story. I'm saying a single story is not evidence that women abuse at equal rates to men.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This is a complex problem with many contributing factors. Sexism and institutional misogyny are absolutely factors, and so is power. So it's mostly powerful men but some lower down the pole also get away with bad behavior, and it's mostly men but some women engage in this as well. And there's also often a racial angle, vis how Terry Crews was grabbed in public but couldn't react because of his being a muscular black man.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think what people more react to is that the offenses are wildly disproportionate.

The reaction is. Women have grabbed my rear end, dick, and lifted up my shirt to see my body in public; I get inappropriately grabbed and hugged or kissed once a week, at least, etc...but I don't care because I've been socialized not to care. Whoever the sexual aggressor.is, in any given instance, is normally really bad at doing it - its just that sexism socializes differently, so more men are in the position to do it and men brush it iff easier on average from women than vice versa.

For the wide conversation, I don't talk about the hundreds of times a woman has grabbed me because I have been socialized to view it as a compliment, and have the power and socialized agency to stop it. That's really what the difference is.

Darko fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 23, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have been harassed, but I have never felt in danger for my safety, which I think is a big difference between sexual harassment by men and sexual harassment by women.

I am sure that there are cases when men are in danger from women, but I would never argue that it happens to men as often as it does to women.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I have been harassed, but I have never felt in danger for my safety, which I think is a big difference between sexual harassment by men and sexual harassment by women.

I am sure that there are cases when men are in danger from women, but I would never argue that it happens to men as often as it does to women.

That's what I was alluding to as well in the general statement. I'm 6 feet and in decent to good shape for a man; I only feel in danger of a woman lying on me and getting men after me. Same with business; even if I lose a job for harassment, as a man, I feel confident that I can equal out elsewhere. Two advantages women don't have, outside of being socialized to be more than sex objects, which is why it is different. But both sexes do often do that "front end" harassment.

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Steve Yun posted:

yeah. a man who is powerful enough to publically grope a female employee without consequences is generally also powerful enough to rape a female employee without consequences. it doesn't always escalate to that - but often it does, and as a woman in the workplace you have no choice but to be constantly aware of that possibility, especially when you speak with other women (sometimes in the same workplace; sometimes in a different one, dealing with a different man) who have been raped and know they have no hope of getting justice for it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve Yun posted:

While that's true I think that's not within the scope of what this thread is about, is it? Do you think the women involved with CK felt in danger? Framing sexual harassment or assault as a problem with "danger" attached ignores a vast swath of inappropriate behavior, and I know that's not what you intended.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I would argue that a lot of sexual harassment that doesn't directly involve physical violence or even touching still comes with an implied threat of power. What CK did serves to make his victims feel powerless. He is turning them into objects for him to jerk off to and they cannot stop it which welcomes the question of what else is he willing to do and can you stop him from doing that. The dehumanization of others always carries a certain level of threat with it. \

Maxwell Lord posted:

This is a complex problem with many contributing factors. Sexism and institutional misogyny are absolutely factors, and so is power. So it's mostly powerful men but some lower down the pole also get away with bad behavior, and it's mostly men but some women engage in this as well. And there's also often a racial angle, vis how Terry Crews was grabbed in public but couldn't react because of his being a muscular black man.
I agree with you that power is a contributing power, but I think we make a mistake when we go all in on the premise of absolute power being the root of this. Louis CK is a fair example of someone who has always had a good amount of clout in comedy circles if only for always being very close to folks like Chris Rock. Still, the 2002 incident happened way before CK decided to slide into the void left by Carlin's death, reinvent his whole persona, and leverage that to become an auteur. 2002 Louis CK was an average comedian who made jokes about having dreams in Spanish with only a middle school understanding of the language. When we talk about CK we have to remember that this is a dude who apparently did this well before being a household name. Louis didn't get away with it because he was a big deal in 2002. He got away with it because he was well ingrained in a community.

While it might sound naive to say this, we do have to acknowledge that there legitimately are people in power who live everyday not trying to sexually humiliate or intimidate others. Power enables monsters more than it creates them.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 23, 2017

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm not entirely sure you're seeing the issue with power. The issue with CK is not his kink in itself, it's that his relative power due to being more far more famous/ingrained than the comedians that he asked consent from - removed their consent. A "yes" with a possibility of someone's life being affected by saying "no" is not necessarily a yes, and that's where the problem/power comes into play. It wouldn't matter if CK asked to have sex with them or masturbate them or whatever - the offense would be the same. This is a rather universal problem in that plenty of guys try to hook up with juniors in every possible field - and they STILL don't see the issue because people are focusing mainly on kink-shaming in that case as opposed to literally what Louis CK spelled out in his statement.

Men are more likely to be more successful than women in general in any particular field, and with that success comes a degree of implied financial/life control over less successful women in specific circumstances. That's where the implied power difference lies. The reverse is far more rarely the case. Just by numbers, there are just less numbers of female supervisors/bosses/seniors/mentors trying to hook up with male juniors than the reverse, since there are just less numbers of women in those positions.

That's not even getting into the issue of physical power/strength/intimidation that also comes into play.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Timeless Appeal posted:

I would argue that a lot of sexual harassment that doesn't directly involve physical violence or even touching still comes with an implied threat of power. What CK did serves to make his victims feel powerless. He is turning them into objects for him to jerk off to and they cannot stop it which welcomes the question of what else is he willing to do and can you stop him from doing that. The dehumanization of others always carries a certain level of threat with it.

I absolutely agree, I was just asking about the threat of actual physical danger (eg being beat up or killed). I'm not trying to get into whether one thing is worse than another, just saying that even in cases where there is no physical danger, the implications can be just as bad if not moreso.

When I've been sexually abused/assaulted, I never felt remotely in physical danger, whether it was a woman or a man; that doesn't mean I didn't feel in other kinds of "danger".

Sorry for splitting hairs.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Not that anyone cares, but Ryan Seacrest is the latest (?) person to have been accused, although he denies it:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ryan-seacrest-sexual-harassment-allegations-denial-statement_uk_5a100516e4b045cf4371991a

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Timeless Appeal posted:

2002 Louis CK was an average comedian who made jokes about having dreams in Spanish with only a middle school understanding of the language. When we talk about CK we have to remember that this is a dude who apparently did this well before being a household name. Louis didn't get away with it because he was a big deal in 2002. He got away with it because he was well ingrained in a community.

He wasn't well known to public but he was a huge deal already in the comedy world. In 2002 Louis had already spent a decade writing for Conan O'Brien, Letterman and Chris Rock. He was super well-connected and, at that time, the careers of two of his discoveries Steven Colbert and Steven Carell were taking off fast. He had a reputation of making stars even then.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He wasn't well known to public but he was a huge deal already in the comedy world. In 2002 Louis had already spent a decade writing for Conan O'Brien, Letterman and Chris Rock. He was super well-connected and, at that time, the careers of two of his discoveries Steven Colbert and Steven Carell were taking off fast. He had a reputation of making stars even then.

I suspect what will happen is Louis will probably get a job as a script doctor, since those are almost always gigs that are uncredited, and a lot of comedian types do it for a living when not on the road (Patton Oswalt, for instance).

Regarding the "CC guy who blocked Guy Barnum from appearing" I suspect it's Jon since he and Louis were pretty tight. Goddammit, I really admired both guys, too; especially Jon. I guess it could be Maher, but he's been off CC for a while now. That actually makes me wanna bring up something else: Is it wrong that sometimes my reaction is "No! Can't be them!"? Like, I'm very left leaning guy who graduated a social work program, I believe you always give the accuser a forum at the very least.

I guess I just don't want it to be true. It obviously is, with Louis.

gently caress.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Nov 25, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I believe he wrote a lot for Sarah Silverman? Helped launch her career. And everyone should watch her video reaction to the Louis debacle, she's clearly crushed by this.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I wouldn't take what Branum says to be gospel, the guy has some persecution issues. He wrote an article publishing Chelsea Clinton's dorm hall and room and called for the Berkeley student body to show their pride and March to the stadium over her broken and bloody corpse. He then acts like he's the aggrieved party in the situation when the Secret Service showed up at his front door with a warrant. http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1997/12/01/time/notebook.html

If he did get booted off a show (and it would be the Daily Show, Politically Incorrect moved to ABC in '98) it's probably due more to his bridge burning when he got fired from Chelsea Handler's show.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I believe he wrote a lot for Sarah Silverman? Helped launch her career. And everyone should watch her video reaction to the Louis debacle, she's clearly crushed by this.

He helped launch her career but it was Jimmy Kimmel, and later Brian Posehn and Steve Agee who helped her write material, I think.

There's a couple guys who I'm mostly sure will be unscathed by this whole thing. Although Uncle Nick is kinda creepy (that said, playing creepy people doesn't inherently make you creepy). Also

https://twitter.com/thebrianposehn/status/931278609989251073

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 25, 2017

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Schwarzwald posted:

Actually we're left with massive piles of statistics and in-depth quantitative and qualitative analysis about the problem going back decades but okay sure.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jon Stewart and Howard Stern talk about Louis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJGk9-rix9s

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

House of Cards to Resume Filming without Kevin Spacey

How the hell are they going to do that?
President Underwood would get assassinated off-screen, his vice president takes over, and suddenly this isn't House of Cards anymore.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I hope he dies off-screen in an excessively comical manner, like he gets hooked to a hot air balloon on accident and then falls into a bubble gum factory.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Replace him with Christopher Plummer

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Grouchio posted:

President Underwood would get assassinated off-screen, his vice president takes over, and suddenly this isn't House of Cards anymore.

Worth noting a couple of things:

1) House of Cards is a really bad show anyway

2) Frank Underwood isn't president in the show anymore, so he's easily written out

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Grouchio posted:

His wife became president last season.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Grouchio posted:

So I guess with Spacey not having a morality clause in his contract, this means he's still going to get his full seasonal payout? That kind of sucks.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Replace Kevin Spacey with Kevin James with no explanation.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Grouchio posted:

Kevin Spacey's character could get assassinated on-screen. He'd only need to be in the studio for a few minutes and you wouldn't need to pay him afterwards. It'd be the most talked-about instance of method acting in history!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I already suggested car bomb. Certainly they already shot a scene of him walking into a car. If not they could always use stock footage. Or even a behind the head shots of a double.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I already suggested car bomb. Certainly they already shot a scene of him walking into a car. If not they could always use stock footage. Or even a behind the head shots of a double.

Bob Mortimer looks remarkably like Kevin Spacey from behind.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

sethsez posted:

His wife became president last season.

Ahahah holy poo poo I'm glad I only watched season one.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Grouchio posted:

FYI, the original "house of card" uk show ends up with FU planning his own assassination.. If the last season is a warren commission style season and we constantly watch a video of Underwood getting a bullet in the head, it's perfect.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Nov 28, 2017

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grouchio posted:

No, House of Cards suddenly switching focus to the people who, I don't know, design the clothes for the Underwoods wouldn't be House of Cards anymore.

House of Cards is a show about the political sabotage, corruption, and crime perpetrated by the Underwoods in their pursuit of power. You could even write both Underwoods out of the show and have it solely be about the aftermath of their actions and it would still be HoC.

Or another example: you could kill off all of the leads (Daenerys, Jon Snow, Cercei) on Game of Thrones, as long as someone's trying to get total control of Westeros and claim the Iron Throne it'll still be GoT. And TBH the show might even be better for it.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 28, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
With Robin Wright still on board they could just continue on with her and it would still mostly feel like House of Cards. Without her though it's a complete waste of time(and might be anyway considering the recent quality of the show). I wonder what her current contract situation is. If she's in any position of leverage she could probably ask for a ton of money.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I believe she just renegotiated a year or two ago. There were a couple of 'leaked' stories about her audaciously asking for the same money as Spacey that backfired on the studio and got public opinion on her side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I really enjoy her character and I’m hoping they focus on her more. The last season already slowly transitioned her into a more prominent role, even given her some monologues to the audience so it seems natural that next season and onward should focus on her. Francis was already moving towards being in the shadows as a power player before all this poo poo so wether he dies or gets written off his character was pretty much done