Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I hear Pyre is a good game with a cool plot and great characters, but ludicrously easy even on higher difficulty. That true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Not in my experience. If you find Hard to be too easy, there are extra difficulty modifiers you can turn on before each battle for bonus XP (like in the previous Supergiant games). The game allows you to freely restart a match if you lose, but you're strongly encouraged to accept the loss as part of the story. You might want to increase the difficulty as things go on, and your characters start to get their top-level stuff.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I didn't find it easy at all. the first half a dozen or so matches were pretty chill but once it got rolling, more matches than I'd have liked came down to the wire even without adding the optional challenge stuff

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

What is the "Mom's Spaghetti" award for? Scariest game? The description is confusing.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

vorebane posted:

Prey is where it's at. It has many locuses of where it is at, from box sorcery to mug stealthing.

Neither of those were what I did, incidentally. I was more of a mad weaponsmith/gloo gun acrobat.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
They have a bunch descriptions about each award if you click on the Steam Awards page but iirc Moms Spaghetti was for a game that makes you excited and nervous just to think about, gets your adrenaline up and all

Oh, you knew about the descriptions already, my mistake

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Please send help, I read this, went "I WANT IT", installed it, and I can tell that it's basically crack for me. Gotta get worms to Oyster Bay so I can level up Kareela's industry so I can ship more fertilizer to Menai so I can bring oranges to Miranda so I can satisfy the populace!

Try Patrician 3 sometime.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ariong posted:

What is the "Mom's Spaghetti" award for? Scariest game? The description is confusing.

It's an eminem reference

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ariong posted:

This is the best idea I have for what it means and it's still not very helpful:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Palms are sweaty.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Anyone want to recommend me a good city builder game or something similar? Anything along the lines of either Cites Skylines, Banished, or Oxygen Not Included sounds good right now.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Spiritus Nox posted:

Anyone want to recommend me a good city builder game or something similar? Anything along the lines of either Cites Skylines, Banished, or Oxygen Not Included sounds good right now.

Tropico 5, there's a campaign with multiple lvls where you continue to build up the same city with more goals. I think it has you do 3 island starts during the campaign so you don't have to be super stressful how the first ones go. And the islands they give you are huge.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 25, 2017

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

It's an eminem reference

Yeah clearly but what is the criteria? What qualifies a game for it? Scariness, tenseness, thriller aspects?

I also have the same question about "The “Whoooaaaaaaa, Dude! 2.0” Award." The description says that it is for the Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas of video games. So, like, good? A good game?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
The Steam Awards gimmick is super lovely this year.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It also seems impossible to pick games from the list of categories? Unless I'm missing something.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ariong posted:

Yeah clearly but what is the criteria? What qualifies a game for it? Scariness, tenseness, thriller aspects?

I also have the same question about "The “Whoooaaaaaaa, Dude! 2.0” Award." The description says that it is for the Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas of video games. So, like, good? A good game?

Sounds like trippy surreal games to me.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

odiv posted:

It also seems impossible to pick games from the list of categories? Unless I'm missing something.

You have to go to the game’s Steam Store page. I don’t know why there’s a button to go to your library; you can’t vote from there.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
The Woah Dude award last year was for any game that made you go "Woaaah" either because of graphics or plot twists or whatever.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I feel like you're overthinking these

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ariong posted:

It's whatever you want it to be, don't worry so much

To me it means any game that makes you really excited when you think about playing it. That doesn't necessarily just describe good games; I know of lots of good games that I'm often not excited to play (rather I just want to chill out, or I want to enjoy a story, or etc)

The full "whoa dude" award description is a tongue in cheek way of saying that it means whatever you want it to mean

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 25, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Spiritus Nox posted:

Sim City 4? :v:

(actually if you haven't played it it's on steam for 5$ so, well, there's your classic)

If you want something way simpler than the games you mentioned, but really chill and enjoyable, I really like Kingdoms and Castles.

Captain Ironblood
Nov 9, 2009
With the Lisa talk, I think the best part of the game is the creator made all of the music not knowing what the gently caress he was doing completely on a trial version of Fruity Loops he had downloaded in 2008

He is also a drunken sword karate master

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9n5wCdIUNM

Artist, composer, rear end kicker? Truly a Renaissance man.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Spiritus Nox posted:

Tropico 4.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Det_no posted:

The Steam Awards gimmick is super lovely this year.
It hasn't really changed from last year but I'm not disagreeing.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Anno 2205 was my introduction to the series, I recommend it, although it does find a way to integrate fetch quests, so you'll need a middling resistance to those, but know, as I won by winding annoyance, that each sector you expand into has a series of fetch quests, giving bonuses to that sector, but not actually necessary to the rest of the campaign.

And also that selling off the stuff you're wildly overproducing anyways in lots of 100 can get you mad cash.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

It hasn't really changed from last year but I'm not disagreeing.
I remember the categories being clearer last year.

EDIT: Like I'd say last year was "lovely" and this year is "super lovely", based on that.

EDIT EDIT: Also I just put Cook Serve Delicious 2 for "mom's spaghetti" because food, ignoring the actual description

Zereth fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 25, 2017

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I did a thing once that might help you.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
In case I haven't already been beaten to this, Tokyo Xanadu ex+ is hitting steam the same time its hitting consoles. December 8th.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Labour of Love is the category I'm most interested in seeing the nominees for, but I like No Apologies too, for the concept of a game worth playing despite it's flaws, meaning the games that'd be most worth getting investments in bug fixing and tuning for. Mom's Spaghetti is firmly Absolver for me, because the aspect of learning new moves by successfully defending against them, but only if you go on to win, is high loving stakes in any multiplayer match.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Nioh is cool. I love it and I hate it. It's basically Ninja Gaiden 3D from awhile back plus the vague elements from dark souls 1.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Ylands comes out on the 6th. That's my December game :^)

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Does the remaster of Skyrim do anything for you that modding vanillla Skyrim wouldn't? Is it easy to get vanilla Skyrim to where the remaster is?

Also, I bought Wildlands in this sale-- does it play better with kb+m or a controller?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Soul Glo posted:

Does the remaster of Skyrim do anything for you that modding vanillla Skyrim wouldn't? Is it easy to get vanilla Skyrim to where the remaster is?

Also, I bought Wildlands in this sale-- does it play better with kb+m or a controller?

Skyrim Enhanced is straight up an official enhanced .esp edition. If you want to mod poo poo, it's better to stick to the original version.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The “The World Is Grim Enough Let's Just All Get Along” Award — Currently The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight® Mystery
The “Choices Matter” Award — Currently Way of the Samurai 3
The “Haunts My Dreams” Award — Currently Bad Mojo Redux
The “Mom’s Spaghetti” Award — Currently Wuppo
The “No Apologies” Award — Currently Sniper Ghost Warrior 3
The “Cry Havoc And Let Slip The Dogs Of War” Award — Currently Hitman: Blood Money
The “Suspension of Disbelief” Award — Currently .hack//G.U. Last Recode
The “Soul Of Vitruvius” Award — Currently theHunter: Call of the Wild™
The “Defies Description” Award — Currently Neo ATLAS 1469
The “Labor of Love” Award — Currently TY the Tasmanian Tiger
The “Whoooaaaaaaa, Dude! 2.0” Award — Currently Uriel's Chasm 2: את
The “Even Better Than I Expected” Award — Currently Night in the Woods
The “Best And Most Likeable Police Officer” Award — Currently L.A. Noire

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Man was Hyper Light Drifter kind of a waste of time.

I loved the environments. The haunting atmosphere. The intrigue and mystery of the world. I loved the combat and how brutal it could be. Hell, I enjoy the combat even more on NG+

I love the hidden secrets and how they all tie together. I loved the slow unraveling of what happened in this broken world.

And then whoops, let's throw it all away and throw it all away for a really anemic ending that overexplains itself in a really dull way?

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

corn in the bible posted:

<a bunch of terrible choices for important Steam awards>

The “The World Is Grim Enough Let's Just All Get Along” Award — Currently Kerbal Space Program
The “Choices Matter” Award — Currently Streets of Rogue
The “Haunts My Dreams” Award — Currently Gal*Gun: Double Peace
The “Mom’s Spaghetti” Award — Currently The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind® Game of the Year Edition
The “No Apologies” Award — Currently Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Wildlands
The “Cry Havoc And Let Slip The Dogs Of War” Award — Currently EARTH DEFENSE FORCE 4.1 The Shadow of New Despair
The “Suspension of Disbelief” Award — Currently WARRIORS ALL-STARS / 無双☆スターズ
The “Soul Of Vitruvius” Award — Currently NieR:Automata™
The “Defies Description” Award — Currently Eiyu*Senki – The World Conquest
The “Labor of Love” Award — Currently Road Redemption
The “Whoooaaaaaaa, Dude! 2.0” Award — Currently Fugl – Meditative bird flying game
The “Even Better Than I Expected” Award — Currently The Witcher® 3: Wild Hunt
The “3D women are not important” Award — Currently BlazBlue Centralfiction

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

The “The World Is Grim Enough Let's Just All Get Along” Award — Currently The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight® Mystery
The “Choices Matter” Award — Currently Way of the Samurai 3
The “Haunts My Dreams” Award — Currently Bad Mojo Redux
The “Mom’s Spaghetti” Award — Currently Wuppo
The “No Apologies” Award — Currently Sniper Ghost Warrior 3
The “Cry Havoc And Let Slip The Dogs Of War” Award — Currently Hitman: Blood Money
The “Suspension of Disbelief” Award — Currently .hack//G.U. Last Recode
The “Soul Of Vitruvius” Award — Currently theHunter: Call of the Wild™
The “Defies Description” Award — Currently Neo ATLAS 1469
The “Labor of Love” Award — Currently TY the Tasmanian Tiger
The “Whoooaaaaaaa, Dude! 2.0” Award — Currently Uriel's Chasm 2: את
The “Even Better Than I Expected” Award — Currently Night in the Woods
The “Best And Most Likeable Police Officer” Award — Currently L.A. Noire

Did you type all this in manually, or is there somewhere you can copy/paste it?

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Go to place an award and just copy the text on the pop-up screen.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 minutes!

Rookersh posted:

Man was Hyper Light Drifter kind of a waste of time.

And then whoops, let's throw it all away and throw it all away for a really anemic ending that overexplains itself in a really dull way?
I don't remember the ending overexplaining itself? I thought it was still pretty abstract-ish, i mean most damning part is don't really remembner it but I wasn't mad afterwards. Also if you really liked everything up until the ending, is that really a waste of time? Endings are a bit of cherry ontop but if the journey is fantastic then I can't be too mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Battlefleet Gothic is 70% off. Is it worth the candle, or is it just a pretty pictures engine?