Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Accretionist posted:

I assume the goal is a wealthy, globally-influential fiefdom. The Congo's rich in key resources.

For example, cobalt is essential for solar and electric vehicle batteries. The Congo contains half the world's cobalt and some of the world's best cobalt-containing* mines. To a certain extent, switching the world over to solar and electric will bottleneck on Congolese mining. And we will be switching over to solar and electric. If Dark Army can control even just Congolese cobalt, :10bux: hoo boy :10bux:. And China's getting the whole drat Congo!

*I say, "cobalt-containing," because, "cobalt mines," aren't really a thing. Cobalt is something pulled up alongside something else. Mainly, copper and nickel. So, we're mainly talking about copper and nickel mines with good (albeit trace) amounts of cobalt mixed in.

I really like the "Salted nuclear weapons" idea here as a reason why they care about the Congo. Given White Rose's penchant for overkill and utter disinterest in collateral damage, the fact that the bomb couldn't realistically be traced for someone, and the use of an Iranian flag as a disinformation seed in the garage, I can definitely see an "Iranian" dirty bomb being set off to sweep Trump into victory and cause the U.S. disintegrate itself to destroy Iran, all to WR's and China's personal benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Whiterose manipulated Angela's timeline using savestates, I thought that was obvious.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Accretionist posted:

I assume the goal is a wealthy, globally-influential fiefdom. The Congo's rich in key resources.

For example, cobalt is essential for solar and electric vehicle batteries. The Congo contains half the world's cobalt and some of the world's best cobalt-containing* mines. To a certain extent, switching the world over to solar and electric will bottleneck on Congolese mining. And we will be switching over to solar and electric. If Dark Army can control even just Congolese cobalt, :10bux: hoo boy :10bux:. And China's getting the whole drat Congo!

*I say, "cobalt-containing," because, "cobalt mines," aren't really a thing. Cobalt is something pulled up alongside something else. Mainly, copper and nickel. So, we're mainly talking about copper and nickel mines with good (albeit trace) amounts of cobalt mixed in.

So this is about cobalt-thorium g. I knew the plant whiterose was building was something nefarious.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I figured the Congo storyline was based on reality, considering, from what I understand, a Chinese conglomerate already controls the majority of the mining operations there. And wasn’t there a real attempt by the Chinese to annex the Congo not too long ago (or something along those lines)?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Congo storyline could also be a wink and a nod to Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon. Actually I'm pretty certain it is after this last episode.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

empty baggie posted:

I figured the Congo storyline was based on reality, considering, from what I understand, a Chinese conglomerate already controls the majority of the mining operations there. And wasn’t there a real attempt by the Chinese to annex the Congo not too long ago (or something along those lines)?

No not in real life.

Whiterose mentioned coltan mines at the end of season 1 which probably just means the Congo features as the writers have combined some half-remembered stories about "China takes over Africa" and the coltan smuggling during the Second Congo War to feed high demand for consumer electronics with coltan = wonder tech substance in the context of the story.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

So this is about cobalt-thorium g. I knew the plant whiterose was building was something nefarious.

White Rose read it in the NY Times.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Huge episode that fundamentally redrew the lines of conflict. Elliot is gonna meet Price books it and cook it

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just rewatched it and the sitcom ep from Season 2 holds up incredibly well.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Am I the only person that doesn’t completely equate anger with “losing the game”? It’s clear what the show expects us to feel over Price losing his temper, but WR exuded no charisma and would have had to leave awkwardly without that “I created you after all” asspull.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think Price has lost the war yet, but much like every other character, he got hosed hard this episode. I can't imagine being a person of Price's stature and reacting any other way to how he was treated.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

kustomkarkommando posted:

No not in real life.

Whiterose mentioned coltan mines at the end of season 1 which probably just means the Congo features as the writers have combined some half-remembered stories about "China takes over Africa" and the coltan smuggling during the Second Congo War to feed high demand for consumer electronics with coltan = wonder tech substance in the context of the story.

Yeah, none of this would ever happen in real life. The economic, political and demographic dynamics are totally different today than they were in the 19th century, when Africa was first colonized. IRC Congo has now a population of around 100 mio people and it makes absolutely no sense for China to take on these people as citizens and/or dependents, just to exploit some natural resources. Neocolonialism works absolutely fine for that and there is zero reason to go beyond that.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
JDate is going to have some explaining to do when it comes out that Iranian terrorists got through its screening process.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

MD2020 posted:

JDate is going to have some explaining to do when it comes out that Iranian terrorists got through its screening process.

Good catch. I bet Dom figures this out somehow.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

Why does whiterose need the Congo? I’ve never understood the relevance of that place for the plant.

On several occasions, they mentioned coltan ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coltan ).

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
This is a good show. I loved the cold open this week and Angela being crazy and just sitting there rewinding the clip of the building imploding over and over again was wild.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Yeah, none of this would ever happen in real life. The economic, political and demographic dynamics are totally different today than they were in the 19th century, when Africa was first colonized. IRC Congo has now a population of around 100 mio people and it makes absolutely no sense for China to take on these people as citizens and/or dependents, just to exploit some natural resources. Neocolonialism works absolutely fine for that and there is zero reason to go beyond that.

Yeah, this is one of those things that really takes you out of the show whenever it's mentioned. Why in god's name would China want the Congo when they can use its resources via companies?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm assuming that Whiterose wants the Congo because the plant pollutes like crazy, seeing as it poisoned all those people in the 90s.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

muscles like this! posted:

I'm assuming that Whiterose wants the Congo because the plant pollutes like crazy, seeing as it poisoned all those people in the 90s.

It's not like pollution stops this in the third world now anyway.

My guess is that it's so that WR can better exert secrecy over their project (can't send UN inspectors to "China") but at the end of the day it's a show about hackerman and his hacker friends (including Angela, who went from "can't figure out how to type one command for the femtocell, this is really hard everyone :(", to extracting a HSM key under considerable pressure). There have been a couple of stupid incongruous things already, and at best we just don't have the information we need to make the connection. So, sit back and enjoy the show :unsmith:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Volmarias posted:

My guess is that it's so that WR can better exert secrecy over their project (can't send UN inspectors to "China") but at the end of the day it's a show about hackerman and his hacker friends (including Angela, who went from "can't figure out how to type one command for the femtocell, this is really hard everyone :(", to extracting a HSM key under considerable pressure). There have been a couple of stupid incongruous things already, and at best we just don't have the information we need to make the connection. So, sit back and enjoy the show :unsmith:

I mean, the HSB had extensive instructions she could read off of, unlike the FBI hack. I might not be a Super Hacker, but I can follow walkthroughs on how to update my motherboard's firmware without l33t skillz.

Looking forward to learn that WR wants to go to the Congo for the weather, and literally no other reason.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

T-man posted:

I mean, the HSB had extensive instructions she could read off of, unlike the FBI hack. I might not be a Super Hacker, but I can follow walkthroughs on how to update my motherboard's firmware without l33t skillz.

Looking forward to learn that WR wants to go to the Congo for the weather, and literally no other reason.

Yeah but she couldn't follow the extensive directions earlier, with handholding, which were "memorize and type exactly one thing". I'm secretly hoping that Angela has her own Mr. Robot but I guess we'll see.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Volmarias posted:

I'm secretly hoping that Angela has her own Mr. Robot but I guess we'll see.

jesus christ thread, how can you be so bad at watching a simple show

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Chadzok posted:

It's not easy

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
White Rose wants to build a data haven in the Congo, like the one in Cryptonomicon. Esmail loves his cyberpunk references.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Volmarias posted:

My guess is that it's so that WR can better exert secrecy over their project (can't send UN inspectors to "China")

Yeah, I think that's what they are going for. It's probably supposed to be Zhang's private fief now where he can run his secret experiments undisturbed and build his secret evil lair.

This reminds me again of the "Fate of the World" game where you try to keep the rise in global temperatures below 2°C by the year 2100. In the beginning, the developing world is always your main focus, but you also need a strong presence in the developed countries because they are the only ones with the technological and scientific base to develop the new biofuel or power generation technologies needed to achieve your goals. Sometimes around 2050 China usually catches up though and you can move all the research funding and projects over there. If Zhang started his power plant/particle accelerator project ~20 years ago, he could have only build it somewhere in the west. But now that China has caught up a lot to the west, he doesn't need American scientific and engineering expertise anymore and get the gently caress out to somewhere else.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I’m not the only one who’s been listening to the Knight Rider theme since watching the episode...right?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Boywhiz88 posted:

I’m not the only one who’s been listening to the Knight Rider theme since watching the episode...right?

I can do you one better. I was actually AT the Fry's Electronics that Mobley and Trenton worked at the other day for Black Friday, and on my way back home, I put the Knight Rider theme on a loop for a good 15 minutes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
A little late on this, but I didn't want to phone post it.

I think that "annexing the Congo" is a story-telling device. I mean, is it something that makes actual geo-political economic sense in the real world? No. But if you want to convey to the viewer some kid of tangible expression of political power, people know what annexation is. This is a show were we're already show and have accepted the level of information control and financial control that the major players have. How do you communicate clearly and concisely to someone that a giant organization with more power and money than can properly be conceived of by the average person has "won a major victory"? You can't just say "China made 10 trillion more dollars" and have it have any real weight as a plot point. Saying "China annexed another country" conveys a sense of tangible conquest.

I think it's a good concession to storytelling over realism.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Chadzok posted:

It's still better than a LOST thread.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
At what point did Whiterose stop doing the beeping watch thing, and was there a reason given for it?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Doom Mathematic posted:

At what point did Whiterose stop doing the beeping watch thing, and was there a reason given for it?

I assume only Whiterose does it and not Minister Zhang.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Volmarias posted:

WR can better exert secrecy over their project (can't send UN inspectors to "China")

This hadn't actually occurred to me before. Like on the face of it there's no reason for whiterose not do her particle accelerator elon musk style hijinks that lead nowhere in China. Like maybe back in the day they didn't have the engineers or the infrastructure so starting in the US made more sense but not in 2015. So there should be some limiting factor like they think it could explode and kill a lot of people and who cares about foreigners or what would be more interesting is some people opposed to it who whiterose can't just roll over because they're either equally important in government or Chinese elliot is stopping it. Like easier access to Cobalt might be nice but it seems like Zhang/Whiterose has the resources or a super power at their disposal so I don't see it as that important.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Whiterose facility in the Congo is a large multi floor time travel device activated that operates on the principals laid out in the movie Primer. ECorp has their own building sized device that was activated shortly before Washington Township leak of 1993 called the failsafe(1). No time travel is possible before this point. They used advanced knowledge of event to increase their own wealth. Whiterose worked for a secret Chinese government agency like the CIA or KGB except more secret because we dont even know their name. They have their own failsafe(0) device but it much smaller. It was activated before the ECorp device thereby allowing them to travel to a point before and possibly even prevent the activation of failsafe(1). Due to size limitations the Chinese are only capable of sending a much smaller team back to in failsafe(0) so even if they are first they do not have full advantage.

This is only the beginning of course there has been many failsafe devices constructed by both sides since then allowing travel back to key points in the timeline. Elliot has the ability to access memories from deleted timelines due to the Washington Township leak of 1993. Mr Robot is future Elliot from previous reset timelines. Due to his ability Elliot is more valuable alive even if they kill him a version of him would still exist if the timeline is reset. His therapist is working for the dark army and Mr Robot is aware of this.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Mr Robot is John Titor

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

pahuyuth posted:

Mr Robot is John Titor

hahaha

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

DrPlump posted:

The Whiterose facility in the Congo is a large multi floor time travel device activated that operates on the principals laid out in the movie Primer. ECorp has their own building sized device that was activated shortly before Washington Township leak of 1993 called the failsafe(1). No time travel is possible before this point. They used advanced knowledge of event to increase their own wealth. Whiterose worked for a secret Chinese government agency like the CIA or KGB except more secret because we dont even know their name. They have their own failsafe(0) device but it much smaller. It was activated before the ECorp device thereby allowing them to travel to a point before and possibly even prevent the activation of failsafe(1). Due to size limitations the Chinese are only capable of sending a much smaller team back to in failsafe(0) so even if they are first they do not have full advantage.

This is only the beginning of course there has been many failsafe devices constructed by both sides since then allowing travel back to key points in the timeline. Elliot has the ability to access memories from deleted timelines due to the Washington Township leak of 1993. Mr Robot is future Elliot from previous reset timelines. Due to his ability Elliot is more valuable alive even if they kill him a version of him would still exist if the timeline is reset. His therapist is working for the dark army and Mr Robot is aware of this.

This makes so much more sense than Angela is Darlene.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Man it's crazy that everyone from fsociety other than Elliot and Darlene is either dead or didn't actually exist. The first time I watched this show was on an airplane, and the first episode they had was the one where the gang hacks Steel Mountain. I remember thinking that the show reminded me of Veronica Mars. Whatever similarities I thought I saw, uh, sure didn't stick around.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Snak posted:

I assume only Whiterose does it and not Minister Zhang.

I'm pretty sure Minister Zhang does it at the very end of Season 1 to let us know they are the same person.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
Am I forgetting something with regards to Cryptonomicon and the Congo? The data haven in that is supposed to be constructed in a fictitious country near the Philippines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Doom Mathematic posted:

I think this is just one of those weird instances on TV where something from early episodes gets dropped and never returns because the showrunner's ideas of what the show should be changed (hey remember Vera?)

• Locked thread