Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Keiya posted:

Honestly I think this is how they should handle multiple characters in the future. Sonic + a character who has a couple moves they can do with Sonic actually works, and lets Tails fly or Amy hammer the poo poo out of things which is like 90% of what I want from other characters anyway.

Sonic Heroes minus 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Keiya posted:

Honestly I think this is how they should handle multiple characters in the future. Sonic + a character who has a couple moves they can do with Sonic actually works, and lets Tails fly or Amy hammer the poo poo out of things which is like 90% of what I want from other characters anyway.

Isn't that just Sonic Advance 3 but with less variety?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sonic Heroes minus 1

You could do all three heroes I reckon - you only need one button to jump and do a homing attack, a regular attack button for power characters, then one button to fly. You can fill the other buttons as you see fit.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sonic Heroes minus 1

It reminds me more of Sonic Advance 3 for some reason.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yes, you can rig up a way to play Sonic 1/2 on your pc, that these ports remain mobile is bewildering. At least with Sonic 3 you can claim rights issues with the Jackson estate. Although now you could just have Tee Lopes do new music :thunk:

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Rocket Pan posted:

Isn't that just Sonic Advance 3 but with less variety?

It's more of a middle ground between Heroes and Advance 3. Heroes changes a lot of poo poo between the formations, but actually involves switching characters. Advance 3's formations don't change the characters that drastically (except maybe Amy-2nd ones) and only add on moves, but they don't actually switch the characters mid-stage.

It's probably still less variety than Advance 3, but I think it worked out nicely for Forces here.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I actually really liked the partner mechanic and moveset changes in Advance 3. If some form of it returned in the future I certainly wouldn't mind.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Advance 3 is such a blatant "holy poo poo these Sonic Battle sprites took a long time to draw, better milk 'em for all they're worth"-type game

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Advance 3 is such a blatant "holy poo poo these Sonic Battle sprites took a long time to draw, better milk 'em for all they're worth"-type game

You mean the Advance 2 sprites, right? Sonic battle has different sprites and animation, but advance 3 shares a lot of sprites/animations/designs from advance 2's. As far as I can tell it didn't seem to reuse any sprites directly from Battle. Though they did add a bunch of new sprites still.

Looking this up made me remember that advance 3 had such adorable new sprites for Cream, like how when she swims it's with a cute little inner tube and she has a giant smile on her face. It's precious :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYEZ_ye6IQU&t=783s

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/freezydorito/status/933797635701518336
I’m not convinced the last one is a mistake.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Sonic Boom is nothing if not self-aware.

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright

https://twitter.com/ThatGuyTagg/status/796528445312397313

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I remember wincing when I heard that line.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I almost regret giving up on Lost World.

Almost.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

i briefly worked with one of the older voice actors for sonic and he said they were constantly having to veto lines like this

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I've been playing Sonic Adventure 2 for the first time in years and boy do I love it. I love this janky game.

Also gently caress the chao mission on final rush. How the hell do you do that rail?

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Tim Burns Effect posted:

i briefly worked with one of the older voice actors for sonic and he said they were constantly having to veto lines like this

Which one? Drummond? Do you have any more stories

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Considering the writing that Ken Pontac and Warren Graff did for Mad World's commentators, I really wonder if that was unintentional or not.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

King Vidiot posted:

I almost regret giving up on Lost World.

Almost.
I never felt like I got good at the game and it turned into an unfun slog. Also wisps shouldn't have become a Sonic mainstay.

But it does look nice in videos.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm liking that Sonic Forces is channeling the cheesy edge fun that existed before 06 Ruined Everything. I hope that Sonic Forces 2 follows up the Hoobastank sample by tapping into Knuckles' roots.

50 Cent isn't doing much nowadays, right?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
It's really weird seeing people who claim to be sonic fans, hell, some people who claim SA2 is their favourite game, and them being unable to appreciate how Forces is just cheesy and dumb.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Sonic is at its best when it's Mad Rad. I want skateboards, I want air guitar, I want stupid end of the world plots where all the tension is ruined by terriawsome lovely puns. I want Shadow blazing down the highway on a motorcycle with his most savage scowl while Cream plays pattycake with Cheese in the side car.

I want this series to be dumb, and I want it to embrace the dumb.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

The Skeleton King posted:

Also gently caress the chao mission on final rush. How the hell do you do that rail?

Do you mean the first rail that goes up, or the last rail that also goes straight up?

The first one can be kinda tricky, but it should be mostly straightforward from how you deal with rails normally in that level. You can just try to jump normally at certain spots and you'll gain a little momentum, or try a homing dash when you're super close to the rail so you'll get even more momentum to go up. I can't remember exactly if the jump is "don't touch the stick at all" or "move slightly to the right, and sonic will homing dash into the center", but it's one of the two, and I think I read somewhere that it's the former.

If you mean the second rail, it's pretty finicky and apparently different in the HD version in that it doesn't naturally go up the same way it did on GC. You can either just try jumping/homing dashing/jumping + jumping off quick and do that enough and maybe you'll get it (which is how I think I got it), or you can bounce up or spindash jump from afar and get enough height to clear it. It's hard to get into specifics because all these solutions claim it's one way or another, but people end up saying they all work in every way, so basically just keep trying at it with whatever looks best to you.

Onmi posted:

It's really weird seeing people who claim to be sonic fans, hell, some people who claim SA2 is their favourite game, and them being unable to appreciate how Forces is just cheesy and dumb.

Forces is kinda cheesy and dumb, but mostly nowhere as endearing (in multiple ways) as SA2 was. So no, I don't really think it's weird.

Except Infinite's theme. That was on the mark :allears:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Skeletome posted:

Which one? Drummond? Do you have any more stories

It was Griffith
I don't wanna put words in the man's mouth since this was like 4 years ago but from what i remember it was a lot of cultural/translation issues, like having to say "i get that you want shadow to be edgy but i really don't think this cartoon hedgehog should say 'gently caress'"

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

The Skeleton King posted:

Stand next to the wall, face away from it, bounce.
The PC port broke that rail completely.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Tim Burns Effect posted:

It was Griffith
I don't wanna put words in the man's mouth since this was like 4 years ago but from what i remember it was a lot of cultural/translation issues, like having to say "i get that you want shadow to be edgy but i really don't think this cartoon hedgehog should say 'gently caress'"

"Where's that loving FOURTH Chaos Emerald?!"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think Colors is just the right tone for Sonic. The script was great, Eggman's given material to go on for hours, Sonic's mostly unimpressed but fairly excited over all the poo poo he has to go through and the emotional moments are small and manageable.

Unleashed was also pretty good about its tone, early warehog notwithstanding.

I like the buttrock stuff in Sonic, but I think it's time to move pass it.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Let Shadow say gently caress

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Flytrap posted:

Sonic is at its best when it's Mad Rad. I want skateboards, I want air guitar, I want stupid end of the world plots where all the tension is ruined by terriawsome lovely puns. I want Shadow blazing down the highway on a motorcycle with his most savage scowl while Cream plays pattycake with Cheese in the side car.

I want this series to be dumb, and I want it to embrace the dumb.

Weird, I want the series to be fun and the only time it's fun is when it's closest to the classic sidescrolling games.

I guess the callbacks to the Dreamcast era in Generations were cool too, like the over-the-top truck escape from SA2.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
i'm glad that we are enjoying both a good classic Sonic game and a Hoobastank Sonic game at the same time. For too long we've been unable to put a Gamer hat on a sonic friend.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I was talking about the rail that starts from the floating platforms you summon with mystic melody. It goes upward and makes a U turn.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

Let Shadow gently caress

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I want Sonic video games to be fun to play. I don’t care about story or lack of.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

please do not let shadow say gently caress. he is a good boy who is going through some hard times*

*he is never not going through some hard times

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Simsmagic posted:

please do not let shadow say gently caress. he is a good boy who is going through some hard times*

*he is never not going through some hard times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2OWC5Hosv8

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I want Sonic video games to be fun to play. I dont care about story or lack of.

If you don't see the joy in a dog dressed like a computer janitor teaming up with Sonic to the tune of nu-metal, then I simply do not recognize you as a human being.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Jesus loving Christ that Mega Octo boss is causing some aggro in my house at the moment. My fiancée is playing her save and whenever she gets stuck on a boss in games she asks me to do it so she can get back to the joy of platforming, this is the first time I have failed to deliver. I can see it is doable but there really is a clusterfuck of bullshit at play in that fight.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

Weird, I want the series to be fun and the only time it's fun is when it's closest to the classic sidescrolling games.

I guess the callbacks to the Dreamcast era in Generations were cool too, like the over-the-top truck escape from SA2.

The classics are...okay? Like, I've played them all, but I've never beat any of them because I get bored about stage 4, but I've beaten every 3D Sonic game short of 06, Lost World, and Boom. :shrug:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

:getout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sonic Forces is a really bad game.