Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

FailureToReport posted:

Is this where I go to buy all the space ships?

Show us your balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Blue On Blue posted:

He always looks so confused or startled in that still shot

It's the only way to react to this anus tornado of a project.

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017
Star Citizen: Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

FailureToReport posted:

Thank you, thank you!

Your avatar caption is triggering my PTSD......if I had a dollar for every time I've heard someone tell me I "don't understand game development" I'd be able to afford some sweet rear end JPEGs or one Ben Lesnick dinner order.

:allears: it really is like looking back in time to 2015.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Hey programmer Goons, my brother in law is teaching himself programming and I was wondering if you had any book recommendations. Maybe something like that Clean Code book that was discussed earlier?

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

Beet Wagon posted:

:allears: it really is like looking back in time to 2015.

I'm glad if nothing else, all the goons can look at my melt down and get nostalgic like "Awww that's cute, I remember when I finally woke up."

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

FailureToReport posted:

or one Ben Lesnick dinner order.

Let's not get carried away.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Elecat taxxe:

https://i.imgur.com/Vwq4qbF.mp4

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

FailureToReport posted:

I'm glad if nothing else, all the goons can look at my melt down and get nostalgic like "Awww that's cute, I remember when I finally woke up."

It was a good meltdown, if a little squeaky in places.

Welcome btw :)

SCtrumpHaters
Oct 28, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

FailureToReport posted:

You should seriously get a refund. Its fairly easy and you really shouldn't feel bad about it. They lied to you and you don't even have a product to show for it.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hey programmer Goons, my brother in law is teaching himself programming and I was wondering if you had any book recommendations. Maybe something like that Clean Code book that was discussed earlier?

Are you looking for general approach type books or is there a specific language that he wants to focus on.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Funnily enough Chris asked me the same question about 6 month ago ?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

EightAce posted:

:iceburn:

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

his nibs posted:

It was a good meltdown, if a little squeaky in places.

Welcome btw :)

Yeah, I really probably should have done some post on that video, I've had mic issues being too quiet for the longest time and then finally figured out what the issue was but didn't consider it when making that video so it sounds about 10x more autist than I wanted it to. I know people hate the voice, but I cannot express how much I hate the people who say the kind of poo poo I parody with that voice any other way, and it's not like I take my channel seriously at all.

If I wanted my channel to blow up and be "successful" I'd churn out videos saying how amazing everything about CIG and Star Citizen is, make a video where I talk about what CIG talked about in every ATV, etc etc etc. It was never meant to be taken seriously, but a ton of people don't get it and I just didn't care enough to point it out in every video.

Like I'm not retarded, I knew how that video was going to be received, my sub count has been bleeding out since I posted that and I totally expect to dip back under 1k over it.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It depends what exactly he wants to learn. A huge amount of relevant languages can be understood by learning C++, yet C++ can be kind of really complicated for the uninitiated.

And, are you looking for general programmer mindset books, language specific books, or deep algorithmic stuff?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

FailureToReport posted:

Thank you, thank you!

Your avatar caption is triggering my PTSD......if I had a dollar for every time I've heard someone tell me I "don't understand game development" I'd be able to afford some sweet rear end JPEGs or one Ben Lesnick dinner order.

It was a beautiful flashback to 2015, there's more than a few people in the thread who were fully on board with Robert's wild ride before we realized the promise of juice wasn't worth the very real squeeze. In the meantime seriously consider getting a refund. The SC refund reddit is a tremendously useful resource in this regard and one that provided one of my last friends with money in this disaster to proceed forward with extracting his cash.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

FailureToReport posted:

just memes here. parp away

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

EightAce posted:

That kinda fits, because development of Star Citizen only started 5 months ago.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

FailureToReport posted:

Welcome to Thunderdome. Spiked helmets and leather thongs are in the back room, you have your choice of rusty pipe or barbed-wire wrapped baseball bat, and everyone gets a complementary GET A REFUND promotional t-shirt*. Please get your gear and talk to the Tickler in Black for your first assignment.

*Complementary t-shirt is not part of approved work uniform.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

XK posted:

It depends what exactly he wants to learn. A huge amount of relevant languages can be understood by learning C++, yet C++ can be kind of really complicated for the uninitiated.

And, are you looking for general programmer mindset books, language specific books, or deep algorithmic stuff?

He's getting a lot of info online, so I was thinking more about programmer mindset or best practices, stuff a self-taught guy might not pick up.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

FailureToReport posted:

Like I'm not retarded

I'm not sure you belong here.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

FailureToReport posted:

Yeah, I really probably should have done some post on that video, I've had mic issues being too quiet for the longest time and then finally figured out what the issue was but didn't consider it when making that video so it sounds about 10x more autist than I wanted it to. I know people hate the voice, but I cannot express how much I hate the people who say the kind of poo poo I parody with that voice any other way, and it's not like I take my channel seriously at all.

If I wanted my channel to blow up and be "successful" I'd churn out videos saying how amazing everything about CIG and Star Citizen is, make a video where I talk about what CIG talked about in every ATV, etc etc etc. It was never meant to be taken seriously, but a ton of people don't get it and I just didn't care enough to point it out in every video.

Like I'm not retarded, I knew how that video was going to be received, my sub count has been bleeding out since I posted that and I totally expect to dip back under 1k over it.

i really enjoyed the video. you have basically become Beer4TheBeerGod now in eye's of citizens.
now to contrary im going to ask. What is the one thing star citizen does right? I mean if you exclude all the promises and future talk and fidelity of 3d models (at 5-25fps).

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Wuxi posted:

Wait, I thought we were locusts?

Both,

Goons are body horror abominations.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Anniversary sale & 3.0 PTU hype!

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training
All good, by the time of making that video and SC 3.0's release I have all of a Mustang Alpha package left. I cashed out my money a few months back and was honestly just waiting to see what 3.0 was going to bring to the table.

Between EVERY Evocati tester I know saying they are completely shocked CIG released 3.0 to PTU, the fact that it just magically happened as the Anniversary Sale kicked off, the price increases for no other reason than they talked about some of the ships in a video, a dozen other shady things CIG has done this year, playing 3.0 was officially the end for me. I'm done making videos about it, I'm done playing it and I'm done backing it.

I'm absolutely moving on, Elite Dangerous isn't everything I wanted it to be, but it plays smooth, looks pretty good, and I enjoy the evolving game story and the way players drive the narrative to a degree.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

FailureToReport posted:

I watched all ~7 hours of your Twitch stream of 3.0.

I'm sorry for what you endured.

You went through the being critical phase a few months ago, then pulled back and said you were going to be more positive and balanced. Then Derek blew up your Amazon dev interview. And now you're calling crobbler a fat gently caress face.

Are you a steady hand, or will you be running back to CIG's arms?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I'm the glare that is constantly on the wind screen making it literally impossible to see out of

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
https://clips.twitch.tv/AliveCrazyKaleRitzMitz

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

He's getting a lot of info online, so I was thinking more about programmer mindset or best practices, stuff a self-taught guy might not pick up.

It is important to know what language he is targeting, or what language style.

Self teaching is what I did, but it's full of tremendous pitfalls. It's how you end up with people programming financial software with floats.

Assuming he's going with object oriented programming, the gang of four "Design Patterns" by Gamma, Helm, Johnson, Vlissides, is very widely applicable. But, without knowing what experience level he is at, that book could all be latin to him.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

FailureToReport posted:

Thank you, thank you!

Welcome buddy. Good on ya for breaking the "Star Citizen is great, everything is fine, Roberts is a genius" omerta.

My favorite thing about being told I don't understand game development is not one of the SC zealots who said that to me has ever done it themselves.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

EightAce posted:

Do not mock the Code Whisperer.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

Dark Off posted:

now to contrary im going to ask. What is the one thing star citizen does right? I mean if you exclude all the promises and future talk and fidelity of 3d models (at 5-25fps).

The Project? Marketing and Sales

The Game? .........can I phone a friend?

Honestly, I think "space legs", it's one of the biggest things I see people who are Star Citizen backers but haven't played Elite complain about and I kind of agree with them as a more recent Elite player.

People want to explore and feel like their ships are a part of their "lives", not feel like they are part of their ship. Star Citizen's hallmark that separates it from every other option out there is that you can get up out of your seat and move about your ship or where-ever you land.

I don't even think games like Elite or Infinity:Battlescape would have to do this WELL, I think it's just a general thing most space sim players want. You want that full on Star Trek/Star Wars/<Insert Other SciFi Show> experience of feeling like your ship is more than just a cockpit and a window out into space.

I might be stretching a bit trying to say that's what they do right, but it's a complaint I see a LOT of SC players say about other game options out there, besides that, I don't really know WHAT they do right because they really haven't DONE much that is actually in game.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Toops posted:

Welcome buddy. Good on ya for breaking the "Star Citizen is great, everything is fine, Roberts is a genius" omerta.

My favorite thing about being told I don't understand game development is not one of the SC zealots who said that to me has ever done it themselves.

Solar plebian when Toops :argh:

Content locusts gotta locust

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

XK posted:

It is important to know what language he is targeting, or what language style.

Self teaching is what I did, but it's full of tremendous pitfalls. It's how you end up with people programming financial software with floats.

Assuming he's going with object oriented programming, the gang of four "Design Patterns" by Gamma, Helm, Johnson, Vlissides, is very widely applicable. But, without knowing what experience level he is at, that book could all be latin to him.

He is starting from nothing.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT
I've been watching all the streams since the 3.0 PTU "release", and it's absolutely hilarious.

But the developer in me must be fair and mention that half of the bugs/issues seem related to poor server/network performance. Things such as massive input delays ( sometimes in the order of tens of seconds ), jittering / avatars / ships teleporting around, stuff bouncing or weird loss of control ( you don't touch anything but your ship still moves ): I'm pretty sure most of this is coming from their test server being overloaded. Does anybody know if they still use the 60+ player count limit ? Because if they do, my little finger tells me they're probably going to decrease it soon in order to keep the server from saturating. So half of these problems could easily be swept under the carpet.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

XK posted:

I watched all ~7 hours of your Twitch stream of 3.0.

I'm sorry for what you endured.

You went through the being critical phase a few months ago, then pulled back and said you were going to be more positive and balanced. Then Derek blew up your Amazon dev interview. And now you're calling crobbler a fat gently caress face.

Are you a steady hand, or will you be running back to CIG's arms?

All good, I'm glad I went through it because it was the last push I needed to pull away from the whale herd.

As for the whole "pulling back and being balanced", this was actually BECAUSE Derek started spewing his poo poo in my channel, it was very intentionally done just to spite him, I struggled hard waiting for 3.0 to come out and trying to make videos that felt "Balanced" to "Positive". My distrust of CIG and how I felt about putting money into Star Citizen hadn't changed and once 3.0 PTU was in my hands I was sure I made the right choice to pull out a few months ago. I wanted to be proven wrong, but I wasn't.

I honestly wanted CIG to pull it all off, I have played a LOT of early access titles, I've done a lot of closed testing for a lot of AAA games, I understand how Alpha's and Beta's USED to be, the problem with Star Citizen is the community/backers have completely redefined what all of these terms actually mean now, they only apply when it fits the Pro-CIG narrative and when they don't you can watch the community completely change the rules.

It's honestly legit cult levels, I swear on my life, I finished making that last video and had it uploading to YouTube which took about an hour and right after I started the process I tabbed over to my channel discord because it was going off and there were two members arguing and one of the guys defending CIG was literally saying EVERYTHING I said with that annoying parody voice word for word. To the point that I made a post about it to let people know when they saw the video I wasn't responding to or copying him.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

He is starting from nothing.

Does he have a reason/goal why he wants to learn programming?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

FailureToReport posted:

The Project? Marketing and Sales

The Game? .........can I phone a friend?

Welcome mate :)

Oh, you're a filthy goon now so be prepared to have many messages in your yt channel from citizens slamming you for being here, and you're also Drek Smurt now, we all are. :D

We all float down here, and you'll float too. :tif:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dark Off posted:

i really enjoyed the video. you have basically become Beer4TheBeerGod now in eye's of citizens.

You mentioned me so I feel compelled to answer this as well.

What Star Citizen does well is create a sense of immersion. A first person experience where you are the avatar and not just a ship. Having the experience go past loading screens, letting you walk around your ship and really explore and interact with it, is really fun. If this was a single player game like Privateer it could have been a pretty significant success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Daztek posted:

Does he have a reason/goal why he wants to learn programming?

He doesn't like his current job in the education field and wants to do something new.