Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Thats what he is saying - you spend the warscore and diplo power to force Ottomans to release Serbia, Bulgaria, and Albania. Then the Ottomans declare war on Hungary, who allied Serbia, and take all of their cores back from Serbia for what amounts to a little AE. Then they rinse and repeat with allies of Bulgaria and Albania which means you spent a ton of warscore and diplo power releasing those vassals that were free for a good ppbbbttt 3 years at best?

Should've truce broke those conniving Turks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Imo it is usually a bad idea to force release nations unless you are quite confident you'll rapidly be able to diplovassalize the released nation or

Mantis42 posted:

Should've truce broke those conniving Turks.

this. Most nations that you will actually be able to release are so small and weak and will have trouble finding allies because everyone near enough to be of any help sees them as a free lunch and immediately gears up to beat the poo poo out of them.

Also if you do it anywhere east of the Hindu Kush, Ming will probably make them a tributary and THEN everyone near them will immediately gear up to beat the poo poo out of them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah releasing nations is mostly for pretty border purposes.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Releasing nations (as part of a treaty) can be useful for AE--but only if it would be easy to vassalize and shares border no one but you and the one releasing it because you two are the only countries with a truce on that new nation.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If your goal is just to cut another country down to size without incurring too much AE, it's better to cripple them with war exhaustion and devastation and then take a small peace deal, or even a white peace. That way they keep a lot of of the WE and don't get a big revanchism bonus.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

If your goal is just to cut another country down to size without incurring too much AE, it's better to cripple them with war exhaustion and devastation and then take a small peace deal, or even a white peace. That way they keep a lot of of the WE and don't get a big revanchism bonus.

Yeah this is really effective in particular on large countries with lots of cultures or religions. That way they’ll be busy dealing with rebels for years on top of any opportunistic neighbors they might have to worry about.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
That you cannot simply lose the Emperor of China through administrative fuckery really bothers me. I just wanted to do the really dumb tagswitching run. That you can't disband the Empire, or 'upgade' out of it. But then the game is not designed around my really dumb gimmick runs so I can't be too upset about it really, I guess. If I could find a way to make the AI declare upon me to take it back, I would not be too bothered, but I find it incredibly unlikely that I will form Yuan, and then Ming will feel safe declaring back upon me to take it back. I only need it for a day, but it is a mechanic that you get for life.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Having hosed around a lot with most of the new nations in the Middle East, I think I like Khorasan the best. In spite of being one of the weakest Timurid vassals, your starting ruler is a total badass and you have many cores on Timurids and your fellow vassals which makes the knife fighting over the Timurid corpse so much more entertaining.

You also get a morale bonus in your starting ideas which is always fantastic.

Another Person posted:

That you cannot simply lose the Emperor of China through administrative fuckery really bothers me. I just wanted to do the really dumb tagswitching run. That you can't disband the Empire, or 'upgade' out of it. But then the game is not designed around my really dumb gimmick runs so I can't be too upset about it really, I guess. If I could find a way to make the AI declare upon me to take it back, I would not be too bothered, but I find it incredibly unlikely that I will form Yuan, and then Ming will feel safe declaring back upon me to take it back. I only need it for a day, but it is a mechanic that you get for life.

I think the fact that the unique government you get for being EoC is actually a bit crap is extremely stupid, much like most of the stuff surrounding the EoC system.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
The government is incredibly crap. +0.5 prestige is fine I guess, but compared with what other governments can give it is just super weak. Yeah, you can't make it too good, otherwise Ming will go wild, but you don't need to trap the player in the system. But it is counterbalanced by the EoC system which gives a ton of OP poo poo.

But my issue isn't really whether it is a good government form. It is a needless historical shackle in a game which stops being a history simulator after you let a single day tick by. Why can't Ming or any other nation leave the empire behind? It is one of a few things in EUIV which I think you should just be able to abandon, and one of the things which you should just naturally lose when your claim to it is so weak. I don't care about the tributary swarm, but I weirdly do care about this? It seems like a title which should be capable of drifting more than it does, because in a singleplayer game the AI will only lose the title if the player challenges for it. Otherwise, it will never be lost in my experience. It is too stable, a guarantee to exist from 1444 until 1821.

In my journey to break the EoC chains yesterday, I actually discovered that there is a disaster associated with a weak claim to being the emperor of the Chinese, but it doesn't actually lose you the EoC title. It just... gives you some mandate loss, a tech penalty, and +5 years of separatism. It comes with a single event, which spawns a single stack of rebels. It is up there with the Count's Feud or the Dacke War for major events. Why can't this disaster make you lose the EoC?

Kingdom rankings are similar. An Ottoman OPM will still be an empire despite having no influence. It should be possible that if you do not correct the course of your country that you just lose your claim to that title. Code in some exceptions, sure, for Byz and Ethiopia.

e; basically just flesh out the dumb disaster because it might as well not exist.

maybe add a decision which disbands the emperor of china title. make it drop you by 100 prestige, drop by 2 stab, and switch you into a despotic or administrative monarchy. maybe make it increase all chinese culture provinces by 25% autonomy. it is a fairly bland government form to switch into, it is a huge loss of prestige, and it loses you a ton of OP buttons you can press. it is a balanced decision to take intentionally, so there is no reason to stop you dropping it other than a needless railroad? make the conditions for taking the decision "accepts 2 or less chinese cultures".

Another Person fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 26, 2017

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fister Roboto posted:

I've never had any luck with this, unfortunately.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Groogy posted:

If you think that the game becomes a slog around the 1700 when the imperialism kicks in? Don't worry we got u fam

Is this an actual problem? I thought most people just quit by 1700 because they've been the world's dominant power for 200 years and are just bored.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

I've never had any luck with this, unfortunately.

Are you wiping their armies, looting all their poo poo and then white leaving once they have 20 WE? Even if that doesn’t trigger an implosion of their nation (and it might not for a homogeneous nation or one with few natural enemies) it’ll still keep them in oh-poo poo mode for a couple years and put you in an excellent position to crush them again when the short truce ends.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

skasion posted:

Are you wiping their armies, looting all their poo poo and then white leaving once they have 20 WE? Even if that doesn’t trigger an implosion of their nation (and it might not for a homogeneous nation or one with few natural enemies) it’ll still keep them in oh-poo poo mode for a couple years and put you in an excellent position to crush them again when the short truce ends.

It also puts you in oh poo poo mode, because of call to peace. It isn't worth doing any more, at all.

Also the AI will just buy the worst of the WE down. If you stackwipe their army early on, when it is still large, they still get 50% of that manpower back (this happens with every stackwipe) and for the long waiting time when you have them without an army but occupied, they will be regenerating manpower and they won't be running any real costs. Yeah, they will take some production hits, and institutions might grow a tiny bit slower, but it generally isn't worth that much effort for that little payoff.

Further, the only nations which really warrant that sort of extreme thinking are historically large nations which are what would normally be lucky nations ingame. This means that they get -1interest per annum, so even if you do somehow manage to make them run additional costs on top of their full occupation so they lose money, the loans won't really be felt because AI nations usually take admin or econ (or both) idea groups over the course of the game. You probably won't be driving them to bankruptcy through occuputation because of this being stacked (especially Austria due to one of those groups, luck and their Fugger Banking NI). They also get -1 unrest, as well as stab cost reduction and manpower recovery speed buffs. The impact just won't last unless the AI gets dogpiled repeatedly in your truce.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i made half the hre really mad but they're not coalitioning me and i'm afraid if i ever reload a save before they calm down they're all going to coalition me at once

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
This is my weirdest Poland game yet.

Got randomly elected Holy roman emperor in 1490. Couldn't pass much because of anti-polish racism, but kept being re-elected a fair bit, so used it to nibble Empire provinces along the Baltic. Forced a PU on Bohemia and fed them lightly, and almost did the same for Austria but then League wars broke. It was going well for us Catholic, with me, Austria and France stomping protestants...then the austrian Emperor dies with no possible successor somehow, and the HRE dissolves by itself. I had never seen that happen.

Release and vassalize Finland, eat all of Norway....then Castile goes into a random PU with me because of a royal marriage I did ages ago just to boost relations for a mission. They bring in 3 colonies, too! France tried to raise a stink about it but it was being eaten alive by Reformed zealots so it was a breeze. Now destroyed Muscovy while they were struggling with Crimea, and just started pushing back Ottomans. Austria spent some 60 years with the 'Breaking Alliance' warning on me but never got around to it.

Other weird stuff: Ulster took over all of the Irish isle and Scotland and big bite of England proper, got into a fight withthe Netherlands, who promptly release a ton of its provinces and killed it. Transmoxiana swelled to a colossal mid-Asiatic beast, and the Ottomas apparently just skipped eating several of the little countries that share Anatolia with them, even unto the 1600s.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Another Person posted:

It also puts you in oh poo poo mode, because of call to peace. It isn't worth doing any more, at all.

Also the AI will just buy the worst of the WE down. If you stackwipe their army early on, when it is still large, they still get 50% of that manpower back (this happens with every stackwipe) and for the long waiting time when you have them without an army but occupied, they will be regenerating manpower and they won't be running any real costs. Yeah, they will take some production hits, and institutions might grow a tiny bit slower, but it generally isn't worth that much effort for that little payoff.

Further, the only nations which really warrant that sort of extreme thinking are historically large nations which are what would normally be lucky nations ingame. This means that they get -1interest per annum, so even if you do somehow manage to make them run additional costs on top of their full occupation so they lose money, the loans won't really be felt because AI nations usually take admin or econ (or both) idea groups over the course of the game. You probably won't be driving them to bankruptcy through occuputation because of this being stacked (especially Austria due to one of those groups, luck and their Fugger Banking NI). They also get -1 unrest, as well as stab cost reduction and manpower recovery speed buffs. The impact just won't last unless the AI gets dogpiled repeatedly in your truce.

Disagree completely. It's never better than just taking the territory yourself if you can, but if you can't take more for whatever reason it's sure better use of your warscore than releasing nations. If your war lasts long enough that call for peace kicks in then that's your problem.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Another Person posted:

The government is incredibly crap. +0.5 prestige is fine I guess, but compared with what other governments can give it is just super weak. Yeah, you can't make it too good, otherwise Ming will go wild, but you don't need to trap the player in the system. But it is counterbalanced by the EoC system which gives a ton of OP poo poo.

But my issue isn't really whether it is a good government form. It is a needless historical shackle in a game which stops being a history simulator after you let a single day tick by. Why can't Ming or any other nation leave the empire behind? It is one of a few things in EUIV which I think you should just be able to abandon, and one of the things which you should just naturally lose when your claim to it is so weak. I don't care about the tributary swarm, but I weirdly do care about this? It seems like a title which should be capable of drifting more than it does, because in a singleplayer game the AI will only lose the title if the player challenges for it. Otherwise, it will never be lost in my experience. It is too stable, a guarantee to exist from 1444 until 1821.

In my journey to break the EoC chains yesterday, I actually discovered that there is a disaster associated with a weak claim to being the emperor of the Chinese, but it doesn't actually lose you the EoC title. It just... gives you some mandate loss, a tech penalty, and +5 years of separatism. It comes with a single event, which spawns a single stack of rebels. It is up there with the Count's Feud or the Dacke War for major events. Why can't this disaster make you lose the EoC?

Kingdom rankings are similar. An Ottoman OPM will still be an empire despite having no influence. It should be possible that if you do not correct the course of your country that you just lose your claim to that title. Code in some exceptions, sure, for Byz and Ethiopia.

e; basically just flesh out the dumb disaster because it might as well not exist.

maybe add a decision which disbands the emperor of china title. make it drop you by 100 prestige, drop by 2 stab, and switch you into a despotic or administrative monarchy. maybe make it increase all chinese culture provinces by 25% autonomy. it is a fairly bland government form to switch into, it is a huge loss of prestige, and it loses you a ton of OP buttons you can press. it is a balanced decision to take intentionally, so there is no reason to stop you dropping it other than a needless railroad? make the conditions for taking the decision "accepts 2 or less chinese cultures".

You used to be able to reform the Celestial Empire into a Constitutional Monarchy, I don't know why there isn't some way to reform China like that now.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Did they change Centers of Reformation? I thought you were only supposed to get three for each branch. I'm squashing my fifth Protestant one now.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Did you crush any before all 3 had spawned? The game might not flag it properly until there are 3 centers at the same time. Just a guess. :shrug:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Poil posted:

Did you crush any before all 3 had spawned? The game might not flag it properly until there are 3 centers at the same time. Just a guess. :shrug:

At this point I've had all three centers for both Reformed and Protestant on at least two separate occasions. I've been playing COR-whack-a-mole for the past 100 years, and I've probably removed ten or so of each. :shrug:

e: I just converted one in Bavaria and one instantly popped up again in Saxony, wtf

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Sometimes the game is just nice to you. I randomly got that Sufi event which gives -15% development cost, on one of the two most well-suited provinces I own for development, right at the time when I was thinking "now it's time to dump all these dip points I've been saving and pop the Rennaisance"

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

At this point I've had all three centers for both Reformed and Protestant on at least two separate occasions. I've been playing COR-whack-a-mole for the past 100 years, and I've probably removed ten or so of each. :shrug:

e: I just converted one in Bavaria and one instantly popped up again in Saxony, wtf

There is a beta patch out. One of the things it fixes is:

quote:

- Religions will no longer spawn more reformation centers than they are allowed to

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Well, that explains a whole loving lot.

On the bright side, I guess my next attempt at a HRE run will feel trivially easy.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Was there a change in the last 6 months that made trade companies no longer give bonus merchants? I should be getting at least 6 bonus merchants according to the tooltips but I dont have any :(

It's weird because I'm doing nothing different than I normally do.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I think they're bugged at the moment or something.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

RabidWeasel posted:

I think they're bugged at the moment or something.

That seems to be a pretty big bug

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Another Person posted:

I think that you're seriously underestimating the effects of devastation. This strategy basically causes the AI to go broke, so that they can't produce a large army despite having manpower, causing the AI neighbors to dogpile in. It works really well for me

It goes without saying that you would only do this against big rivals; it's better to just eat them yourselves, if they're small.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

New Butt Order posted:

Is this an actual problem? I thought most people just quit by 1700 because they've been the world's dominant power for 200 years and are just bored.

Yes it is? You do know most people are not you right?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
To be fair, most of my games go on until I got whatever achievement I wanted, then I quit and start something new. My only 1700+ games are WC ones.
Right not it is especially bad if you play that long, you'll run into Ming even when playing an HRE opm. And to those who still think the Ming complaints are hyperbole, 2 out 4 of CoC games had stupid Ming situations, the best one must have been a battle between a 38 stack of Ming and a 28ish stack of the Ottomans, when Ming came to rescue Cairo from a siege. (Mamluks had colonies in the spice islands.)

That is actually becoming kind of a theme right now, Ajuuran, Mamluks, Oman, Hormuz, I've seen them all as tributaries pre 1600.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Heh, look at this guy who isn't the #1 superpower by 1500 in every game :smug:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I downloaded the beta patch, and it fixed the endless Centers of Reformation, and I'm now finishing mopping up the heresy from the HRE. My IA is finally growing again.

That bug was kind of fun though. The 16th century was an unbroken chain of hateful religious wars. It was hectic as hell.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Tahirovic posted:

That is actually becoming kind of a theme right now, Ajuuran, Mamluks, Oman, Hormuz, I've seen them all as tributaries pre 1600.

What difficulty setting do you play on? I'm not doubting you but I wonder if you have a weird setting or a mod, because I've played more than a dozen games since MoH and seen countless screenshots, and even in the threads where people are complaining about this issue, Hormuz-Iraq is the farthest I've ever seen it, and that's both more of a freak occurance and I'm pretty sure it happened really late in the game. I'd be curious to see a screen shot the next time you see this.

In my games it easily goes as far as India (I don't think I've seen non-tributary Bengal even once since MoH) which is an issue in its self but more than that is actually pretty rare, and never so early in the game.

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity

Groogy posted:

Yes it is? You do know most people are not you right?

This is a pretty common complaint, and one I agree with. Its still not an argument against solving late game technical issues though.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Geisladisk posted:

Heh, look at this guy who isn't the #1 superpower by 1500 in every game :smug:

If you don't pick Ming at 1444 then just stare at the computer for 56 years before starting a new game of the exact same then I don't know what to tell you :mmmsmug:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
1792 start or bust.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

BigglesSWE posted:

1792 start or bust.

you loving madman

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

American Dream best DLC

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How much Paradox manpower is spent making sure each possible start date is historically accurate, because they should probably lay that guy off, sad to say

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Koramei posted:

What difficulty setting do you play on? I'm not doubting you but I wonder if you have a weird setting or a mod, because I've played more than a dozen games since MoH and seen countless screenshots, and even in the threads where people are complaining about this issue, Hormuz-Iraq is the farthest I've ever seen it, and that's both more of a freak occurance and I'm pretty sure it happened really late in the game. I'd be curious to see a screen shot the next time you see this.

In my games it easily goes as far as India (I don't think I've seen non-tributary Bengal even once since MoH) which is an issue in its self but more than that is actually pretty rare, and never so early in the game.

It almost always involves either Ming or that affected nation picking up exploration ideas. It seems like it's not the capital but any province that counts for tributary mechanics.
I'd still favor disabling the option of becoming a tributary trough diplomacy, it's just stupid. Make Ming fight for it's income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Flavius Belisarius posted:

you loving madman

I'll be honest, I don't think I've ever started a game later than 1453.