Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

boxen posted:

Soo... Tale Spin, the video game?

This would unironically own, furry connotations be damned.

FuturePastNow posted:

The Sea Duck will always be my favorite fictional plane.

Word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

The Sea Duck will always be my favorite fictional plane.

No doubt. My love for twin booms is 70% from the Sea Duck, and 30% P-38. I've told myself if I ever get into RC airplanes, I'm going to somehow build a replica.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

boxen posted:

No doubt. My love for twin booms is 70% from the Sea Duck, and 30% P-38. I've told myself if I ever get into RC airplanes, I'm going to somehow build a replica.

As with everything else ever thought about or considered, someone else has already done it and posted about it on the internet.

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/ft-sea-duck-review

Sea Duck is awesome and if I hit the megalotto i wouldn’t be above paying someone to make it a reality.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I must have been just a little too old.

I always thought of that cartoon as fun but not as interesting as the obvious inspirations. That is Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon crossed with Indiana Jones.

E: once removed via Tales of the Gold Monkey.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

boxen posted:

Without the furries, yes.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Just because it has anthropomorphic animals doesn't make it some furry cartoon.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Colonial Air Force posted:

Tell that to the furries.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Deviant art begs to differ

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Well, look, furries will sexualize them, sure. But that's not the fault of the show, and it doesn't mean anthropormic animal cartoons should be shunned. It's kind of a staple in children's art.

Somewhat relevant

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Murgos posted:

I must have been just a little too old.

I always thought of that cartoon as fun but not as interesting as the obvious inspirations. That is Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon crossed with Indiana Jones.

E: once removed via Tales of the Gold Monkey.

Weirdly, it seems like the entire show was mostly made of 80s pop culture references. Baloo and that other bear have a Sam and Diane dynamic. The city they fly out of has that cliff canyon, a nod to Porco Rosso*. It has some Tales of the Gold Monkey in it.

If we're talking Tailspin reboots, I quite liked the idea somebody had of making a communist Tailspin using the Be-12, and all the tales are G versions of shrewd communists dealing with wrong but mostly misguided capitalists

*Porco Rosso is *strongly* in the flavors of Tailspin and Crimson Skies, and is a good movie to boot.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Well, look, furries will sexualize them, sure. But that's not the fault of the show, and it doesn't mean anthropormic animal cartoons should be shunned. It's kind of a staple in children's art.

Somewhat relevant

"Purries"

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Nominating the SWAT Kats F-14 for best cartoon plane

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

boxen posted:

Would also unironically buy.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

cowboy elvis posted:

>VTOL
>Flies for less than 22 minutes at a time

Yeah, checks out.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Jonny Nox posted:

I forgot how bad the fighters in that movie were.

Chris Roberts is real bad at Space Opera.

Not the best project manager either.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Oh Cmon xmens blackbird surly

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

cowboy elvis posted:

Is anime disallowed? Because there's a different F-14 I'd nominate...

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
By virtue of being God’s True Fighter, it is allowed.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I always crack up at "Spacy"

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

GI Joe Skystriker: We didn’t have to change a thing!

Or

The REAL reason the Essex class was retired:

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Ardeem posted:

Was hoping this would be here, was not disappointed.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Looks like Westjet has signed a capacity purchase agreement with Pacific Coastal to fly regionals out of YYC. Sounds like about 11 return flights a day.

Anyways the part that matters is Saab340 in Westjet colors.

Also because:

http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/product_info.php/take-command-saab-340a-p-100

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

This is a real poke in the eye to the Encore guys again, they've been hosed seven ways to Sunday by the company of late.

Also, considering how desperate PASCO has been for new hires, I don't see how they're going to be able to pull this rabbit out of their hat.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I'll see you, and raise you an An-2

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Took some googling to find the N-number of that plane. That's one hell of a rebuild in a year.

(Pilot forgot the fuel-shutoff valve on one of the wings tanks during aerobatics)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrChips posted:

Also, considering how desperate PASCO has been for new hires, I don't see how they're going to be able to pull this rabbit out of their hat.

Everyone seems desperate for pilots right now. I've heard stories of people getting hired on with various operators at ridiculously low times -- I can't confirm any of the more far-fetched ones, but I do know my primary instructor just got a F/O job flying Lears with under 1000TT and no turbine or multi-crew experience.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The New York Botanical Garden's annual train garden had an adorable miniature JFK, featuring the TWA terminal,

13L, a DC-3, some horrible turboprop/MD-80 mashup, Concorde,

and TWA Flight 800.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Is that all made using plants?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Yeah, the whole exhibit is pretty amazing. All plants and resin and model railroads.

(my wife took these photos)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Nebakenezzer posted:

Weirdly, it seems like the entire show was mostly made of 80s pop culture references. Baloo and that other bear have a Sam and Diane dynamic. The city they fly out of has that cliff canyon, a nod to Porco Rosso*. It has some Tales of the Gold Monkey in it.

If we're talking Tailspin reboots, I quite liked the idea somebody had of making a communist Tailspin using the Be-12, and all the tales are G versions of shrewd communists dealing with wrong but mostly misguided capitalists

*Porco Rosso is *strongly* in the flavors of Tailspin and Crimson Skies, and is a good movie to boot.
Porco Rosso came out two years after TaleSpin if Wikipedia is correct.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Ardeem posted:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

david_a posted:

Porco Rosso came out two years after TaleSpin if Wikipedia is correct.

What

Uh, uh, the comics the movie was based on came out earlier?

(I got nothing)

Honestly if it transformed into a mecha it might have been more agile and less complex

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

never seen this thing before and not a fan of anime but this is clearly the love child of an F-104 and F-22 and hgnnnnnnngngngngghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

never seen this thing before and not a fan of anime but this is clearly the love child of an F-104 and F-22 and hgnnnnnnngngngngghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sagebrush posted:

Not an anime; it’s this dude

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

That dude is Japanese, and thus an anime.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

david_a posted:

Not an anime; it’s this dude

That is a pro click.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

drat, dude, tag that poo poo nsfw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nebakenezzer posted:

What

Uh, uh, the comics the movie was based on came out earlier?

(I got nothing)

Look, it's pretty simple. An aircraft that flies in a straight line in the middle of the sky is boring. You need something to spice it up. Something that brings tension. A flight through a canyon is like a natural obstacle course, it gives a perfect pretext to have the aircraft swoop and swerve, you can even get some scrapes on it that will justify a stop for repairs later in the show (perfect to have the protagonists meet other characters and advance the plot), and the rapid scroll of the cliff faces will help sell the impression of speed that you would not have in the sky. See also: death star trench run. That's also the same reason why very low altitude flights are more exciting than very high altitude flights. Real world example: the Mach Loop training range. Or stuff like that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcwuQFaxsGU

Other ways to make flight exciting in a show involve racing (with no safety distances mind you, you need to put several aircraft in the same shot so that it looks like they're actually racing, and the risk of collision helps build tension) and combat (dogfighting only of course).

So if you see a cartoon that features flying through a canyon, aerial racing, and dogfight combat, you have your explanation of why it looks like Porco Rosso and Tale Spin and whatever else.